• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A noobs alternative to L-Canceling

BestSmasherAlive

Smash Rookie
okay I cant L-Cancel and i could care less because unless your a pro where every millisecond counts it really doesn't affect you. Not to mention I found an alternative for it. When your about to land (you must do this in the air) hold Z and it will do Marths neutral Ariel which hits twice (providing protection until you land) and if ur still in trouble keep it held down when ur on the floor to go into powersheild. This technique can be used with Z and right Z and left ect but it works best with his neutral A. This doesnt only work with marth infact it works with every1 (except people with tether recovery) but I only main Marth...so why should i help other people :). Tell me your thoughts on this.

P.S Yes im the best smasher alive and i cant l-cancel. lol

dudutsai

Smash Lord
l canceling cancels lag time when you hit the ground

"powershielding" when you hit the ground would be as useless as holding l/r the whole time, as the same lag time exists from the aerial when you hit the ground before you shield goes up anyways.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
Yeah I noticed when you are just about to hit the ground with fox if you press Z it automatically L-cancels it into a shield, I dunno if its something to do that the animation of the move hasn't got to a certain point of something but it works but it totally useless in comparison to the use of L-cancel, yeah maybe you could shield and get off a lucky powershield but thats about it and the animation of the attack would probably not get off a hit on the opponent but if you're nooby enough to use it and get a powershield you would still get punish in your shield imo

Omni_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Interesting, too lazy to learn to L-Cancel but smart enough to look for an alternative... hmm...

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
What the HELL are you TALKING about?

Holding down Z will NOT make you L-cancel. Holding down Z will make you NOT L-cancel and lightshield when you hit the ground like a ****** and you'll get grabbed.

This is NOT an alternative to L-canceling.

EDIT: Also, powershielding isn't what you think it is. Seriously, learn the terms at least before you go around giving other people advice.

idea

Smash Master
L-cancelling can be done with Z (as well as L and R) so just do that if you want X_X the "L" stands for "Lag." but unless your opponents suck or you play a floaty (which you don't) it is very important. if you don't l-cancel you can't reach a certain level of speed, and your opponents will eventually notice this, and start shieldgrabbing you out of aerials because you won't have time to move away fast enough. if i were you i'd just learn l-cancelling...it's kind of weird to learn at first, like wavedashing is with most characters, but with a little bit of practice both become instinctive. helps to really wear in your L and R buttons too, whenever i use a less-used controller i can't do either correctly.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I know it can be done with Z, but you have to press it seven frames before you hit the ground, not hold it down the entire time.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
okay I cant L-Cancel and i could care less because unless your a pro where every millisecond counts it really doesn't affect you. Not to mention I found an alternative for it. When your about to land (you must do this in the air) hold Z and it will do Marths neutral Ariel which hits twice (providing protection until you land) and if ur still in trouble keep it held down when ur on the floor to go into powersheild. This technique can be used with Z and right Z and left ect but it works best with his neutral A. This doesnt only work with marth infact it works with every1 (except people with tether recovery) but I only main Marth...so why should i help other people :). Tell me your thoughts on this.

It's incorrect. Move along people.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I know it can be done with Z, but you have to press it seven frames before you hit the ground, not hold it down the entire time.
I read that you have 20 frames from the time you press L before you miss the tech. Then you have to wait 40 frames to try again

But anyway, yea this is not an alt to L canceling because it isnt

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend

obvious troll is obvious.

FlipX

Smash Ace
People can't L-Cancel? You just press a button when you hit the ground it isnt rocket science.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well Link, Young Link and Samus have tether recoveries... not in the Brawl sense, but still.

I wonder why Yoshi doesn't. It'd make him at least a little better.

IrArby

Smash Ace
That would've been sweet actually Yoshi using his tongue to ledgegrab.

Oh yea learn to L cancel (Or Z cancel) its worth it since this game has been out long enough were non-pros are still really good and will kick your *** if you can't L-cancel whatever your mindgames are.

L-cancel into Z-light shield sounds like a good tactic for pushing out dair spamming Falcos. Even if they grab you, Falco doesn't do a lot to Marth out a grab usually. Its better than getting pillared anyway.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
The average competitive player can do all the advance techs without having to think about it. The average player is now beyond that technical boundry, and actually thinks while using advance techs at the same time.

Learning the advance techs can be considered an initiation into competitive play. Every player learns them, and moves past them.

Brainjack

Smash Journeyman

k noob stfu 100% of what u said is false

If u don't l cancel, quit.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
While this may help you, L canceling would help you X10 more lol

Top Bottom