• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Plumber's Tools - The Mario Moveset Discussion! #8: Bair.

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
i tend to use the f-smash alot in the middle of a battle because of its range.
i dont know why people can manage to win without using it in the middle of a match its just too good of a move to only use it as a finsher. people say use your jab. but im never close enough to use the jab regularly. and besides if i was close enough to jab i would grab instead.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
but im never close enough to use the jab regularly. and besides if i was close enough to jab i would grab instead.
The third hit of the jab has a large hitbox which has about the same horizontal range as Ftilt. Also, Mario's jab comes out a lot faster than his grab.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
but its hard too since the range is sooooo short.
The first two jabs are fast and quickly lead up to the third, plus there are other things you can do such as jab canceling. Basically, use jab on an as needed basis since it's fast and has many options.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Learn to abuse dodges. Mario's Jab is not hard to get off due to its speed, in fact, you'll be using it a lot to do damage, and pressure your opponent in close range with Jab -> grab/D-smash/etc.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I love how you can walk across the stage with Fsmash, mainly because you lunge. ust turn around, c-stick it, and you can walk across FD. It IS pretty useless, though.

Mario's best kill move. Glad we established that.

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
i always thought mario's cape was his best kill move.
oh and judge judy i have been usig the jab cancel alot more thanks for encuraging me.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
The cape has many functions but its two main ones are gimping and reflecting projectiles.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Sorry for taking so long with this, but the current discussion is now Neutral Air.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Skyler finally revived it. :laugh:
I'll do my part tomorrow.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Nair is one of my favs.. For some odd reason, people tend to debate Marios Nair and Luigis Nair when they have two complete different functions but im not jumping into a flame war lol..

Rising Nair wrecks spacies recoveries like donuts and sprinkles together son. The short KB lets us follow up with strings like a nair to dsmash. The first few frames ( 3 frames i think?) has the strong knockback, but it ain't that strong. ._.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Completely wrecks some characters as an approach method because of its priority. I know I abuse the hell out of it in dittos and vs Olimar. I think it beats everything but his Uair.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
N-air is an attack with a lot of uses. It comes out fast, lingers long with decent priority, and has low ending lag, so it's quite versatile.

You'll want to implement N-air somewhere either for getting in, punishing dodges, breaking combos, starting combos, getting people offstage, and edgeguarding. N-air is a great move for all of these things.

One thing I do a lot with N-air is I use it to punish legdehoppers. The lingering hitbox gets them almost all the time and keeps 'em offstage.

bobson

Smash Lord
My favorite use for nair is landing on the opponent's shield with it and getting horribly punished.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
That confirms it, bobson really doesn't play this game.

Dory

Smash Journeyman
I love nair. Its amazing out of shield move and a great way to start a jab lock at low percents. <3

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Nair earns its keep with speed and some decent follow-ups, too bad it doesn't have more range or knockback though.

I love nair. Its amazing out of shield move and a great way to start a jab lock at low percents. <3
^^^This

KirinBlaze

Smash Lord
NNID
KirinBlaze
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR. I have sex with it.

It's soooo good OOS and beats a lot of ****. I remember playing this MK and out of every Dthrow I just Nair'd and he couldn't follow up at all. xD

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIR. I have sex with it.

It's soooo good OOS and beats a lot of ****. I remember playing this MK and out of every Dthrow I just Nair'd and he couldn't follow up at all. xD
I feel bad about Mario not having a tether, I could make a joke about how long your zair is.

But then it would've already been too late and I'd have posted it, and nobody would acknowledge the joke because it's too corny.

Then it'd be pretty awkward for me, and I'd try to edit the message, but then that'd be stupid.

Disregard this. :urg:

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I feel bad about Mario not having a tether, I could make a joke about how long your zair is.

But then it would've already been too late and I'd have posted it, and nobody would acknowledge the joke because it's too corny.

Then it'd be pretty awkward for me, and I'd try to edit the message, but then that'd be stupid.

Disregard this. :urg:
Because we didn't already know Straked was a closet schizo

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Matador can't follow rules, and he's never right about anything.

I'm an OPEN schizo. Let me tell you.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Nair is a godly move. I have no clue why it took the majority of us so long to figure out how amazing it was. Mario has an above average airgame with just Uair, Bair, and Dair. Add in proper usage of the Nair and you have a **** airgame. It just stays out so long. It's good OoS, good out of Dthrow, good to punish attacks, good priority... nearly everything about it is good!

Abuse Nair. Make it your *****.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you play me, you'll know how gay N-air is when I edgeguard. I'd like to claim the title of abusing N-air for edgeguards more than any other Mario. =P

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Utilt, F-smash, U-smash and Dsmash don't have exact damage data in first post. Also, damage/speed/range on a scale from 1-5 isn't really useful, frame data and damage percentages are already given.

As for the range, you might want to edit the pictures of the attacks and add auras around the hitbox to specify what exactly the sweetspot and sourspot is, as well as giving people an idea of what the hitbox is in the first place.

Just saying.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I love Nair, i just keep forgetting to use it as a edgeguard -_-. How do you guys use it as a edgeguard though?
Just jump out and N-air. The horizontal knockback is very good for gimping. ESPECIALLY if you get them on their midair jump. You'll trade hits or beat out a lot of recovery moves with this attack too. Really good at hitting Marth (trades hits), Space animals (usually wins), and many other characters out of their recovery. You can even trade hits with Metaknight's Up-B, although doing that one is a bit less useful since you can't follow up easily after that.

The other thing I do a lot is just jumping repeatedly and N-airing whenever my opponent tries to do a getup from the ledge. If you do it right, you can limit your opponent to only being able to edgecamp or edgeroll to make it back up on stage. Just don't do it against a smart Metaknight or G&W.

Ajax15

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4184-3842-7891
personaly i love to do the nair jab combo. i nair if it hits i follow up with a jab (never d smash till higher percents) and wat i do is hold A so if they spot dodge the jab will hit. another great thing is if they shield it u get to jab again. this of course is easily avoided by simply shield grabing the nair but if u get it its a good 15-18%. also mix it up somtimes. against mk i had succes with nair jab then i did it again except that time i nair'd and grabed that was a good 34-38% idk the excact numbers lul. this isnt new info watsoever but us mario users should use this vs those high tiers. cuz we cant get fancy with combos =(

Top Bottom