• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Proposal For The Next Smash Bros Game From A Series Veteran

BigManFanelli

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone,

So like most of you, I'm rather excited for new information on the next Smash game. Since it was confirmed to be in development, my mind has been on what this new game will offer. So I wrote a piece for the site I volunteer for, GamerNode, about what I want to see in the next Smash game. I want others to see it, discuss their ideas with me, and give us all something to talk about while we wait. It's a hefty piece, sure, but i feel like its worth it. The link is below:

http://www.gamernode.com/a-proposal-for-the-next-super-smash-brothers-from-a-series-veteran/

Thanks for reading, and let the dissection begin!

:phone:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I stopped taking this seriously when he said 5 characters would be cut. I took him even less seriously when I saw who would be cut(srsly, another idiot who thinks Mewtwo was "replaced" by Lucario?). The ONLY character I'd consider possibly cutting for the next SSB would be PT.

His newcomer choices are also suspect. Lyn is eyebrow raising, but not an impossibility. Two new Mario characters is not likely at all, there will probably be one at most. KK, that mech thing, and Bayonetta? No, just no. And where the f*** is Ridley?

Edit: Also, Pac-man is overrated(in terms of being a potential candidate for Sm4sh).

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
First of all, Super Smash Bros. Chaos FTW.

I'll try to respond by points.

I don't like the RPG-idea at all. It's just silly, "out of character" and it would need a lot of effort which should be put in other things. Subspace Emissary was fine. Give me a new story with enemies more inspired and more related to Nintendo mithology, and some jaw-dropping CGI cutscenes, and I'm fine. I don't really understand how can people complain about SE after Melee's adventure mode.

I like the idea about six-men battles, but that's risky. Mario Kart Wii expanded the number of players and did that only half way good. I would prefer this to be a special mode. For the 3DS/WiiU connection, they're too different consoles. It's not like PS3/Vita, I think it won't work well.

AR mode, if actually possible, would be fun as hell. I'm quite confident the trophy/sticker part of that will be in anyway.

Smash Master: the same, would be cool, I'm not sure it would work well though. If they manage to do that right, I'm all for it.

Online: it will obviously be like that, even if I'm not that interested in online gaming. Would be nice to see something like "US champion belt" or "Ganondorf champion belt", if you know what I mean.

Cut characters. As much as I want EVERY SINGLE character to return, it's possible that someone will be scrapped off. Lucario and Toon Link are some of them. Snake could be, even if the fact that he's not in Playstation All-Stars give me hope. Sonic and R.O.B. are safe. Sonic was so highly demanded, it would be just cruel to take him off again, and he belongs to this game. R.O.B. is just too charismatic and funny, he's a joke character and I don't really understand why should he be cut. I don't see Pokémon Trainer changing too, he's good as he is. Just add another trainer if you want another trio.

Newcomers and returning. Mewtwo really seems plausible since he's higly requested, but then why not Roy? Little Mac is OK, Lyn is not, Saki is unlikeable if you ask me. K.K. Slider would be nice but nah, Waluigi GOD PLEASE NO. Isaac has a possibility, Bowser Jr. has even more (but not along that Waluigi idiot). Ghirahim and K. Rool would be amazing, I hope they're in. Miis are a no-brainer, the Mech Gauss is original at least, I like him.

For the third party, yeah Pac-Man and Megaman are easily in. Bayonetta... Meh, I thought she had a possibility after the sequel reveal, I like her but... Nah, I think Sakurai doesn't approve. Too sexual, too out of Nintendo's style, too... much. But would be cool.

As the stages, I would come in my pants if every single arena from previous games will return, plus a new bunch. Congratulations especially on this last part of the article, a lot of the ideas are original and ****ing amazing. I like them all, seriously. Nothing to say about those. Man Skyloft will be awesome (it's in, don't be silly... it's in). Only one thing: Fire Field over Aeropolis. That's all, but these new stages would be incredible seriously.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
I actually kinda like the RPG idea. Me personally, I'd like it if the Story mode was less linear, and was more of a Metroidvania type thing.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Metriodvania styled in a vein similar to The Great Maze in Subspace Emissary? If that's the case, I could see something like that, presuming its more polished and fleshed out.

(Also I stopped reading once Sonic and Snake being cut was stated)

gothrax

Smash Journeyman
Unfortunately i couldn't read the whole thing, cuz google reader was like "no more usage ov meh" er something.

However i did read the first two pages and it was going pretty good, considering the little thought people on these forums put into there ideas.

The only thing i would disagree with you on "character wise" would be the disclusion of ROB and maybe Toon link. Cuz i definitely think ROBs comin back.

Still thats not the part that bugged me!
When you started talking about online THATS where you failed to see the big picture.

For instance is the wiiU not always online? Looking for players who are playing the same game that you are?
Is it not a fact that you can ask for assistance from the other players "around the world" to help you through your current level/boss fight etc? AT ANY TIME?

Soo why do you even need an "Online mode" AT ALL!?.
Why cant it just be a player slot option?
*example*
There are three player slot options in brawl
//player
//CPU
//closed slot

So why cant you just add a fourth?
//player
//CPU
//seeking <<<<<<
//closed slot

And then if you do set player two(or wichever) to "seeking" then maybe like choosing a nickname you can invite friends?

:phone:

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Hmmm. i dont really know where to start on this.
The smash master thing sounds sooo fun and so does everything else you suggested in terms of game modes.
I like all the ideas, but when you started talking about the characters, i completely disagreed. Why should rob have to go? he has a completely unique moveset. And when you say wolf needs to be changed. I dont think he does, he should keep his old moveset. But why are you keeping falco?!?!? there is almost NO difference between him and fox, if anything he needs to go.
When you said lucario and mewtwo were the same. How? the ONLY thing in common they had was their neutral B and that they were the same size, not even the same weight. What about 5th gen? you said you understand why lucario was added, but not zoarark? hes the 5th gens lucario.
I personally think toon link should be a costume change from link, not removed entirely. Because he plays somewhat differently than link, at least more different than falco.
Sonic and snake are staying, no doubt. This just needs ridley tho. and i seriously doubt bayonetta and waluigi will make the cut. maybe bomberman and rayman?
However when it comes to stages you did an amazing job! the only suggestion would be a bit less returning brawl stages compared to melee and 64. And i would LOVE to see kingdom II and fountain of dreams to make a comeback (although thats just personal preference)
Your right bowsers castle and rainbow road are a MUST! Maybe mount dedede?
Ns castle and distortion world would be amazing tho, you might want to consider those (again personal preference here)
The playroom, although extremely unlikely, is one of the most creative stage ideas ive ever seen for a smash stage so good job.
I think it could have a lot more stages though brawl had 41 considering it had 7 GB to work with. Smash 4 will have 25 GB. Maybe even bring back all the stages and have like 40 new ones!

ItsSilverLPs

Banned via Warnings
I agree with most things, I'll just point out the things I disagree/ don't think it will happen:
-Didn't like the name, SSB Bash. It doesn't sound like the name that a Smash game would get (specially with names like Melee, Brawl...). I think they will be going with Universe, but still, idk...
-I think that the Adventure Mode should remain the way it is in Brawl gameplay-wise, just being a bit less repetitive (yes, unlike most people here, I liked the SSE a lot lol)
-I don't think ROB and Sonic are going to be removed. And possibly Snake will be included too, since it was a personal request from Hideo Kojima himself (actually he wanted Snake to be on Melee, and Sonic was intended to be on Melee at one point). Sonic coming, I think it means that Bayonetta wouldn't come, since Sega is the publisher of the Bayonetta series (well, I know Sega published the first).
-About a new Fire Emblem rep, I think they will favor Chrom over Lyn, mostly because he's from a new game, even though Lyn is a popular choice.

Well, other than that, I loved the ideas. The Smash Master and AR Battle ideas were really awesome, and I can totally picture Nintendo including them. And I don't want/care about 2 or 3 characters of your roster, but that's all personal opinion, so, I won't be discussing that :p

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
1. NO CUTS
2. What do you mean by "Wolf will be a whole new character"???
3.Mewtwo =/= Lucario moveset wise. They have 2 moves in common.

Other than that, pretty cool ideas. Especially the brain age stage.

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
i just had to stop at smash bros squabble and bruhaha omg i died XD

but i agree with taking out toon link. no need for 2 links. and i think they'll keep all the pokemon. sakurai said new movesets so i expect lucario to be heavier (fight like a fighting/steel type) and bring back mewtwo. possibly change his moveset too. thats just my opinion on 2 characters. theres too much for me to make a full blown post

SubparSmashBrother

Smash Ace
I stopped taking this seriously when he said 5 characters would be cut. I took him even less seriously when I saw who would be cut(srsly, another idiot who thinks Mewtwo was "replaced" by Lucario?). The ONLY character I'd consider possibly cutting for the next SSB would be PT.

His newcomer choices are also suspect. Lyn is eyebrow raising, but not an impossibility. Two new Mario characters is not likely at all, there will probably be one at most. KK, that mech thing, and Bayonetta? No, just no. And where the f*** is Ridley?

Edit: Also, Pac-man is overrated(in terms of being a potential candidate for Sm4sh).
Just because you post here doesn't make you an expert on what is likely and what is not. Every nintendo character is fair game. Only sakurai and his team know what is on the table for this game.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Just because you post here doesn't make you an expert on what is likely and what is not. Every nintendo character is fair game. Only sakurai and his team know what is on the table for this game.
Yes, technically, Sakurai could put any charater in the game he wants. That doens't mean that every character is equally likely.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I like your unbiased attitude and creativity with stage ideas!
Post more game modes!
The Team mode mentioned in this thread -> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=328889
would make a cool addition.
You select a team of 3 smashers and whenever one gets knocked out you play as the next one.

And ya didnt even talk about the stage builder! There so many cool things that could be done. Like being able to set the boundaries yourself and take pictures for backgrounds. Adding a foreground where you place blocks and other decorations...etc

My bet on the name being Clash.
Although I'd prefer something crazy like Turbo Championship Tenkaichi DX

I also liked your idea for the adventure mode. I was picturing it being a 2d overworld metroidvania style but with towns where you can purchase stuff from shops like trophies or weapons like a beam sword or baseball bat. But seeing as how smash bros has 3d models a full 3d world would be way cooler, unlikely, but cooler.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
Okay, I'm just going to throw it out here. Why does everyone think PT will be getting cut/new pokemon?! There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever he'll be changed. The chances of PT getting new pokemon are the same as Link actually using something other than his boomerang, bow, and bombs. Yes, it's possible. But it's purposeless. Ike isn't the most recent hero. Chrom is the newest. At least do some research.

In addition, your cuts. Third parties won't be cut. When he said he won't include an overabundence of third parties, it's unlikely he meant 'out with the old, in with the new'. Sakurai doesn't seem to cut original movesets easily. Mewtwo was the only character without a trace of clone to be cut. And, we all know how that ended, didn't we? The only thing that could keep Snake and Sonic out of smash is licensing issues, which, considering they're creators requested them, is improbable. Which means, if it came down to them and other prospective third parties... Also, ROB. No. That's totally biased. Toon Link. I seem to remember it being said that Sakurai sees the younger Link as the true Link. So, if he had to get rid of one of them, he might decide to go with Link's older incarnation. But that's so improbable that I wouldn't even continue. For starters, I come from the pokemon community. Everyone agrees Mewtwo is cool. But, Lucario is still widely recognized and has a bigger fanbase, one much more active as Mewtwo's. Lucario would wind up as the new Mewtwo in that sense as well. Except a larger outcry.

DakotaBonez said:
I like your unbiased attitude
...Yeah, I really wish I didn't have to go here. His reason for ROB being cut, for starters. Mewtwo over Lucario is a matter of preference, though still dumb since they can coexist (inb4 no way we need more cuts!). He obviously loves the mario series. There's also Gauss. Not to mention his rpg style idea, which I find odd since this is a fighting game! Random battles... No. Just... No.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
i like most of the stage options... that's really it. and i guess a couple character choices but the cuts are bad with bad reasonings behind them.the RPG idea i'm not completely against but i just don't see it happening

Top Bottom