• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A set or two of videos.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Keep practicing. One of my favorite ways to get better is watch a few videos of some G&W and try and focus on some combos they pull off. Then go play and mimic them. You can learn a character REALLY fast just by watching someone else play it.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
You just kinda stand there. Try being aggressive. I know this isn't actually good advice in terms of becoming a top player, but at your level of play, you could really do better if every time you didn't know what to do you turned around and jumped at him with the turtle or threw out down smash. Never stop moving for any reason. The way you play now just kinda results in you being run over without ever seeing what works and doesn't work.

Sorgens

Smash Cadet
I only watched three of the matches. A few things I'd like to say...

Less f-tilts, more d-tilts. Way better. But whatever creams your twinkie I suppose.

Don't be afraid to pursue off-stage. F-air has a lot of knockback. You just stood there and let him recover. G&W is scary off-stage, at the very least you'll rack up some damage. Don't be afraid to pursue.

You kinda throw smashes a little too liberally. Save them for opportune times.

You made good use of the gas. But turn it into something else. Grab him or d-tilt him. Just follow up on it.

You seem to jump a SH higher and end up just jumping over him. Just something I noticed.

Space your turtles out a little better. Don't abuse f-air so much, mix your air game up.

All in all it was a good G&W, but you can definitely improve with some practice. Sorry if I sounded harsh, it wasn't my intention. Best of luck in the future.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
I do need to work on getting more aggressive off the edge. I tend to hesitate because I know exactly what my friend would do... You weren't harsh at all. I am just looking for community advice.

Talps

Smash Rookie
I do need to work on getting more aggressive off the edge. I tend to hesitate because I know exactly what my friend would do... You weren't harsh at all. I am just looking for community advice.
Rob has a very predictable recovery, and the most he can do with it is attack you -- he cannot dodge your attacks. A quick run off to fair might catch him unaware. I also saw you (in the first two videos) attempt to dair at him off the edge. A tempting proposition, just be sure to quickly recover before you fall too far. Also the most I believe you will do is damage him, I don't think it spikes except for a short time at the start of the dair.

You didn't try to edge latch much, either. ROB gets destroyed when you keep him off of the ground, he loses gas that way. Edge latch, hop off and bair, or just drop down and regrab, either jumping or with up-b.

Then again I only watched two videos, Might watch the rest later. Be aggressive against ROB, he's great at camping and unless you predict him perfectly, you're not going to catch his laser. It's more worth your time shielding than all of the damage and holes you'll open up sitting with a bucket for a laser you don't catch.

9KiLL

Smash Rookie
i randomly chose to watch vid 5. first thing that came to my mind was, where the hell are your turtles? i was unsure if your g&w was even equipped with one; this is his best move and you should abuse it more, you really need to be more agressive with it. you fair WAY to much; save it as a kill move . i also noticed a lot of falling nair. you should be rising with it and juggling rob, combine that with up airs (which i saw none of) and up B for really easy damage. if you want to fall with nair, try fast falling, then follow up to uptilt, then some more nair, this is an easy way to rack up damage on heavy characters. dont imediatly smash when you see rob (or any other char) recovering low, because its NOT gonna connect.

so really, you need work on implementing rising nairs, turtle spam, up airs, and up-b into your game. less ftilt and more dtilt. be more aggressive, dont stand around to much, you gave rob a lot of oppurtunities to just hit you. always try to be in the air; keep moving around.

Top Bottom