• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A sort of interview with Sakurai about online and a possible SSB4

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Saw this in another forumThe new issue of Official Nintendo Magazine (UK) is out today and it has a sort of interview with Sakurai.
The problems lie in the game's fast-paced action that sees up to four plays (not to mention all the various Assist Trophy's) causing mayhem all the time. Data needs to be passed around incredibly rapidly and according to himself, "if anything goes wrong then the game is done, which is totally unacceptable. Admittedly, some things got cut from the online side that I feel would make it a better experience but sadly, I can't talk about those"

"I understand that there are millions of fans out there who love the series so if Mr Iwata came to me in a few years time and asked me to make another one, I'd have to give it some serious thought."
Considering just how packed the finished Brawl has turned out to be, it's obvious that the next Super Smash Bros. game will need to be something really special and Sakurai's involvement hinges on just how different it'll end up being. "There are 39 characters in the game this time around and just adding a few more wouldn't be enough to justify another game in my opinion; I'd have to draw a line in the sand (???) and have a new approach to the game to make it worthwhile. As long as fans enjoy it though, that's what matters and in the distant future, I guess that might be something I'll have to consider."

So the man admits that online is bad and also feels like very few people would want Brawl/Melee/64 2.0 with just moar characters. (Of course, it doesn't mean he won't add more characters)

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Good find. Looks like our buddy Sakurai knows he screwed up, and that makes him want to do another one. Hahahaha.... Looks like we just got ourselves a chance for SSB4.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
At least we know the online had more stuff planned.

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind if Sakurai worked on SSB4, but I think he should work with someone who knows what the fans want and makes sure the game can be competitive.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I wish he'd given the roster better thought before he made it with those 39 characters then, since he doesn't want to make it for just a few more characters. I mean there's really only three or four characters I can think of that if they'd been included then the roster wouldve been almost perfect. And there's some on the roster that we would've been fine had they not been included, since most of us never would've thought of them.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Uh....no, it wouldn't.

What happens if one gets knocked out early? They're forced to sit there for the rest of the match to watch others play. Timed matches allow everyone to play until the match is actually over.

PDawgy

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if the next smash has only one more new character, I'm still buying it..... and as long as they don't make snake's ass smaller lololjkjkjk

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I wish he'd given the roster better thought before he made it with those 39 characters then, since he doesn't want to make it for just a few more characters. I mean there's really only three or four characters I can think of that if they'd been included then the roster wouldve been almost perfect. And there's some on the roster that we would've been fine had they not been included, since most of us never would've thought of them.
Your views of a perfect roster is solely your opinion. There are a number of characters I would have loved to see:

1. Krystal (WTF on her exclusion)
2. Captain Syrup (First Nintendo villainess)
3. Ridley
4. Tom Nook (AC rep)
5. Lip (Puzzle rep)
6. Goroh
7. K. Rool
8. Bowser Jr.
9. Little Mac
10. Claus
11. Ray MK II (Custom Robo rep)
12. Isaac

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
How can you NOT say masked man Kuma? Claus is already in the game. He is just a complete clone of Lucas though.

I just want to see Pico or another F-Zero Rep.

AND **** IT, I WANT MEGAMAN! >=(

Demon Kirby

Smash Champion
SSB4 will be named Smash Bros. Revelution
It will be co-developed by someone else experienced in the fighting game industry
The basic gameplay will be drastically changed
The roster will not be added on to much
Target Smash will be removed

I know all this 'cause I'mma wizard

captainfalconmute

Smash Ace
Several new aspects would indeed have to be added to a sequel to Brawl to justify there being a sequel...

The roster would have to be improved drastically, both by changing the current Brawl roster and by adding more characters to it. The stage roster would also need revamping.

But these are just the minors. In order for a sequel to be created, there needs to be substantial improvements in content, and something big to make it really different from its predecessor, rather than just an upgrade to Brawl. Thing is, my concern is that not enough could be added to a sequel from Brawl, because of the sheer size that Brawl is. I have doubts that Sakurai and co could conjure up enough new ideas to implement into a sequel,

I do think Brawl is the end

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
lol in 5 (or however many more) years...
then ill be happy. =)

PCHU

Smash Lord
I know what could be 'added' to make people EVERYWHERE buy it.
NO TRIPPING!
MORE, MORE, MORE CHARACTERS!
FASTER, but not MELEE faster, GAMEPLAY!
And, NON-CHEESY DIALOG IN THE SUBSPACE EMISSARY!
If they could just pull those four off, then I think that would make a great game.

Fletch

Smash Master
Let's just hope that Sakurai says no to making the next SSB, and they find someone who knows how to design a competitive video game instead.

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
Mmmm, having another SSB.... As much as I'd love it, all I can really see them doing is adding a few new features that'll basically make it Brawl 2.0 (And considering how much I hated people calling Brawl Meele 2.0, I'd hate to think what the backlash from that would be.)

Really, All Brawl needed was Good online, a one player mode that was more about each characters pasts/had more enemies from their past other then the Prymids we got, and prehaps a few characters (MegaMan/Geno) who deserved to get in.

Outside of them adding another button for attacking and what not, I've no idea what they would do for a new SSB.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Considering the amount of buzz Snake and Sonic got, I wouldn't be surprised if SSB4's "new way to go about it" as Sakurai said in this would be to spotlight 1st party characters vs. 3rd party characters next time around. It would have been insane to suggest this even semi seriously 10 years ago but the game scene's changing a lot...

I think Brawl is probably going to be the last SSB as we currently know it, which is mostly based off of Melee. If there is a next one, it'll do something kind of crazy like that or maybe even overhaul the gameplay a bit. I wouldn't personally mind an interim expansion of Brawl in the meantime certainly like a lot of fighters do...though I doubt they'll do that, but either way that's my guess as to how a fourth game would come about.

AgentJGV

Smash Journeyman
Every Smash was designed to be the last in the series. Nintendo didnt plan on making more than one and deffinetly not 3. if they made another (which im pretty sure they would) it would be a spur of the moment decision.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Saying there will be no more Smashes is like saying there will be no more Pokemon games. Nintendo's CEO would be insane not to release a SSB4 on the next system, even if it is Brawl 2.0. Mysteriously, Video Game series do not end quite like T.V. series, in that there are only two ways to end a series, which unlike a T.V. show, are never necesarily met - 1 is to decide early to make a game that for storyline reasons ends the series - such as Halo 3 (which might have a sequel anyway) or MGS4. The other way is for it to be very unpopular/not noteworthy. Smash is neither, and has the momentum behind it to guarentee an immortality of the GTA style.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Let's just hope that Sakurai says no to making the next SSB, and they find someone who knows how to design a competitive video game instead.
Oh god no. I like Smash's unique and simple gameplay, and if they add someone who knows how to make a competitive game, then it will become overly complicated and basically turn Smash into something else....If anything, all we need are certain characters and stages, and some new mechanics, but still keep smash to its core, not as a overly complicated game, because it is complicated a lot, but as a fun party game with the fighting elements mixed in. And thus ends my mini-rant.

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Saying there will be no more Smashes is like saying there will be no more Pokemon games. Nintendo's CEO would be insane not to release a SSB4 on the next system, even if it is Brawl 2.0. Mysteriously, Video Game series do not end quite like T.V. series, in that there are only two ways to end a series, which unlike a T.V. show, are never necesarily met - 1 is to decide early to make a game that for storyline reasons ends the series - such as Halo 3 (which might have a sequel anyway) or MGS4. The other way is for it to be very unpopular/not noteworthy. Smash is neither, and has the momentum behind it to guarentee an immortality of the GTA style.
I've actually heard that GTA4 is going to be the last one too, but that might just be a flat-out lie.

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
I hope that SSB4 isn't aimed at competitive smashers.

I also hope that it's not aimed at casuals.

I hope that it's accessible enough for casuals to get into while there's still the depth to explore for competitive players.

I hope the balance between offense and defense is better and isn't based on being overly offensive(64) or overly defensive(Brawl)

I want a more balanced character roster.

I want there to be a chance for items to be used in competitive play.

I ****ing want LIP IN IT. Not as an assist trophy either. She better be playable. >:[

I want hitstun and combos back.

I want more zany craziness too.

I want my old Smashboards back. :( Back before the melee/Brawl wars. I want us all to be like "Viva la SSB4! But Brawl, 64 and Melee are good too!"

I want a better 1p mode. SSE bored me. As much as I loved watching the story unfold, i hated playing it.

I want Viewtiful Joe. :3

I want Yuzo Koshiro to actually do some dance-y compositions next time he's involved with the soundtrack.

I want lots of things.
But they probably won't happen. Eh, here's to dreamin`... *shrugs*

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
good ^_^, at least Sakurai saw and realized his mistake in online which now we could expect a possible lag-free experience in the next one, but even though he mentioned this, I I just wish and hope he doesn't end up doing another smash because of brawl

Silverline

Smash Apprentice
True, but a really bad game or over breeding of the series CAN kill it. Look at Pokemon. Yes, it's going to go on, but it's been over milked to the point only the diehard fans and the newbies are going to be interested in it.

Fletch

Smash Master
Ya, cause, you know. He didn't make melee or anything.
Because that is relevant here... He saw what happened with Melee, then did everything in his power to make sure this game would not be played competitively and give everyone a "fair chance".

But I'm not here to argue that, I just really hope that Nintendo gets someone else on board for SSB4.

DarkKyanite

Smash Journeyman
no matter what , the game won't come out for another 5~7 years

i just hope that there will be updated brawl already, like melee's 1.1 version which fixed some major glitches
and hopefully snake's utilt and ftilt can be nerfed by just a bit lol

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
How can you NOT say masked man Kuma? Claus is already in the game. He is just a complete clone of Lucas though.

I just want to see Pico or another F-Zero Rep.

AND **** IT, I WANT MEGAMAN! >=(
By Claus, I meant Masked Man(Boy?).

I can't believe I forgot Megaman in my list. Speaking of Megaman, Gutsman's *** needs to be an item.

cman

Smash Ace
Honestly people, this is NINTENDO we are talking about. OF COURSE there will be a sequel. Look at zelda or samus or mario or anything else they have ever made which has been successful. But i can't think of anything significant which would warrant making a sequal.

Qzzy

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is great. He makes fun and simple games that are inviting to all sorts of gamers. If you want things that are meant to be competitive, play any other fighter. Or just stick to melee, jeez. Everyone says the scene is dying but I still see big tourneys coming around. Too bad smash 64 couldn't do the same without online play. But that's something else entirely

Sakurai has a good track record of games (he's done more than smash). Just b/c of one supposed screw up (it's biased, and you know it), doesn't mean he shouldn't make the next in the series. Besides, with him we know that at the very least it won't turn out to be Brawl 2.0. Each smash has been unique compared to each other. Not many other fighting games series can say that, with their infinite and rapid churned out sequels.

Sequels seems to be the reason he left HALand went on his own actually, http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=489&page=5

(I'm surprised at how many of the Kirby games he didn't play a role in.)

I'll also be surprised he if does work on SSB4. It would be awesome, but I'm not sure if it's likely.

DTKPch

Smash Journeyman
I've got a great name for SSB4:

Super Smash Brothers Cagematch.

Kiyosuki

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai is great. He makes fun and simple games that are inviting to all sorts of gamers. If you want things that are meant to be competitive, play any other fighter. Or just stick to melee, jeez. Everyone says the scene is dying but I still see big tourneys coming around. Too bad smash 64 couldn't do the same without online play. But that's something else entirely

Sakurai has a good track record of games (he's done more than smash). Just b/c of one supposed screw up (it's biased, and you know it), doesn't mean he shouldn't make the next in the series. Besides, with him we know that at the very least it won't turn out to be Brawl 2.0. Each smash has been unique compared to each other. Not many other fighting games series can say that, with their infinite and rapid churned out sequels.

Sequels seems to be the reason he left HALand went on his own actually, http://www.n-sider.com/articleview.php?articleid=489&page=5

(I'm surprised at how many of the Kirby games he didn't play a role in.)

I'll also be surprised he if does work on SSB4. It would be awesome, but I'm not sure if it's likely.
I agree to a point, I think some people are a bit irrationally harsh to him because he didn't make this game a certain way. Though I will say it's not completely unjustified, because I think a balance between making a game more generally accessible and "casual" I guess, while still giving those who want to play it a little more in depth than others the ability to do so -completely unhindered-(highlighting this for a reason) can be reached. Regardless of whether a lot of so called "casual" gamers critisize that kind of thing, I think alienating it altogether with things like tripping and really simplistic online is a bit harsh. It contradicts with that motto the game was built around apparently that it can be played by anyone any way they like doesn't it? I'm fine with putting a lot of effort into broadening up a game but I do hope they leave the stuff like tripping out of the next one, just because it doesn't seem very fair to a part of the player base I think, and this is coming from someone who doesn't really take part in the competitive scene here. Just a general view. Like a different side of the "it's only for the hardcore everyone else is alienated" situation.

It's not like Melee was Virtual Fighter inaccessible to the casual crowd to begin with anyways though, thinking about it...

I think a similar thing with a lot of Nintendo's stances on pandering to casual base vs. pandering to hardcore base lately. I think appealing to broader and more casual audiences is a smart idea since appealing only to an increasigly fickle hardcore crowd can only take a company so far...but I do hope in the future that doesn't mean they flat out alienate longtime fans. That seems like it could backfire a little to me...I'm getting into a completely different subject now though.

Top Bottom