• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A strange dashing technique...I've not seen it before.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
I looked up Fox-Trotting [and I was under the impression that Stutterstepping = Foxtrotting] but I havent really been into the ATs of Brawl, since they dont effect the game too much anyway. Point is, I dont think this is the same.

However, I was playing with my friend last night and he started doing some wierd ****. He is a newbie so I was surprised, so I had him show me how to do it. I dont know if this is a useful maneuver but you guys can give it a try and see what you think.

From standing position, go into a dash and then hit shield [use R, just so we are on the same wavelength], and then go into a dash again [Im pretty sure you have to let the Control Stick return to neutral position], and then shield, and then dash, rinse and repeat. If done correctly, your character will perform an animation that looks very similar to wavedashing foward in Melee.

The buttons dont need to be pressed as fast as the original wavedash, its a pretty easy command. Try it with Ike, that is who he was using when he started doing it. From what I've seen, you can grab out of it [reverse and normal], upsmash, and perhaps tilt. However, you guys may discover even more upon playing around with it. I've got exams so I had to make this brief, but I will check back later.

Also, I'm not one of those guys TRYING to get a move named after me or wishfully wishing that wavedashing was in Brawl. So if this turns out to be nothing, then its all good...but give it a shot and see what you think.

Crow!

Smash Lord
Look at the input guide shown in my signature.

Start Start Dashing: you shield here, you roll. Probably not what you're talking about.

End Start Dashing: you shield here, nothing happens at all. If you repetitively do Start Start Dashing during each End Start Dashing phase, that is called Foxtrotting.

Dashing: you shield here, you actually shield. Once you're here and you give yourself enough time to return to standing, you can do whatever you want. Too slow to be useful with anything you can't cancel your shield with, however.

So I think you're probably describing Foxtrotting.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Rohins has been doing this since before the game came out here. Samus has one of the best ones, because her start dash animation is so short. He and Phanna called it shield-dashing or some-such. It's moderately useful for some characters, but not very, since it's still set distance and can't be done at any point in a dash animation.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Either way I'd like to see a video.
Watch any video with Rohin's Samus. Geez. I gave you a name, is it like some kind of disability you have where you can't see or use the search function in YouTube?

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
Well, in all honesty, Crow!'s End-Start Dash repeated [Foxtrot] sounds very similar to what I'm doing, because as he said, shielding actually doesnt make your shield come up. Regardless, it was fun as hell figuring it out without the internet or one of my higher-level smash mates.

Another thing I started doing last night, while not exactly an AT, is to start your dash, hit shield, and then hit back [opposite direction you dashed in, anyway] to do a fakeout type maneuver. It looks like you're going to dash but then you roll backwards quickly. The applications with a character like Wolf who can dive foward and easily recover the ground lost in a roll can trick the **** out of an opponent. You can also use it to roll foward, but the backwards one looks a lot cooler [try it with Lucario, anyway].

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
Also, sorry guys, I cant record vid without a Wii or a webcam. I had to sell my Wii to pay rent a while back, sadly. :(

PraKirJaq

Smash Journeyman
Its easy to do, just shield imediately after your initial dash. It's probably nothing at all; people have been doing it for a looong while, but I can try to record it if you want ^__^

But I'll have to figure out first.

Unless I'm mistaken, its just a foxtrot to shield.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
If you can record a vid of yourself doing it in succession at least 3-5 times across FD, that would be amazing. If you havent done it before yourself, its pretty simple, and try it with Ike, his is really easy to do IMO. Havent experimented with many other chars yet, but Lucario also does it fine.

Anyway, just start up dash, shield, and start up dash again before the shield can even come out. Its not Melee/wavedash fast, and once you understand it you can do it pretty easily, I picked it up in about three minutes after watching my friend's hands.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I saw a Samus do this last night.
It's in a combo vid in the combo vids section.
It was amazing.

Neokun

Smash Apprentice
So uh, sorry guys, but what was the verdict on this? I never knew who Rohins was or saw any type of Brawl samus combo vid before all this so sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom