• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A stupid question about DI.

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to sound like a real retart here, but is there a proper way to DI? Or do you simply get hit and tilt in any direction at any time?

n3g4t1v3

Smash Cadet
DI = Directional Influence = any time you influence the direction of your character by moving the controll stick

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
DI = Directional Influence = any time you influence the direction of your character by moving the controll stick
Actually, no. There's a difference between Air Control and Directional Influence. You're not DI:ing if you hold left while falling as Zelda to fall to the left, you're Air Controling.

Directional Influence is influence your trajectory when hit. The minute you're not longer in hitstun and are able to alter your trajectory by, say, just holding the control stick in a certain direction or jumping is when you're not longer DI:ing, even if you're still holding the control stick tilted in the same direction to keep moving in that direction.

You're not Air Controling.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Let's say you get hit by one of Zelda's lightning kicks. The moment you get hit, where everything seems to freeze for half a second, is when you must DI. For attacks that send you horizontally, you DI up and towards the stage. For attacks that send you vertically, you DI left or right.

The complicated part is you have to have fast reflexes (but you train yourself so it's not that hard), and you have to know which direction every attack sends you. You also have to know where sweet-spotted attacks send you, for example, Pikachu's thunder. The lightning bolt will send you upwards, so you have to DI left or right (although you shouldn't even get hit by it, it's easily dodged). But, the part where Pikachu's body is the sweet spot, and that part sends you horizontally, so you have to DI up and towards the stage.

There are also more advanced types of DI such as quarter-circle DI or double-stick DI. I'm still working on double-stick DI (but mostly unsure) so I won't say anything about it so I won't misinform you. But, quarter-circle DI is when at the exact moment you get hit, you input DI's with the analog stick in a 90 degree fashion, or "quarter-circle" because it's a quarter of the analog stick. You have to input this really fast though, since you have less than half a second to do it. But this dramatically reduces knockback, and helps you surivive hits that not even regular DI will help you survive.

I'll check back on this thread if you still have quesitons.

zacharia zako

Smash Journeyman
Let's say you get hit by one of Zelda's lightning kicks. The moment you get hit, where everything seems to freeze for half a second, is when you must DI. For attacks that send you horizontally, you DI up and towards the stage. For attacks that send you vertically, you DI left or right.

The complicated part is you have to have fast reflexes (but you train yourself so it's not that hard), and you have to know which direction every attack sends you. You also have to know where sweet-spotted attacks send you, for example, Pikachu's thunder. The lightning bolt will send you upwards, so you have to DI left or right (although you shouldn't even get hit by it, it's easily dodged). But, the part where Pikachu's body is the sweet spot, and that part sends you horizontally, so you have to DI up and towards the stage.

There are also more advanced types of DI such as quarter-circle DI or double-stick DI. I'm still working on double-stick DI (but mostly unsure) so I won't say anything about it so I won't misinform you. But, quarter-circle DI is when at the exact moment you get hit, you input DI's with the analog stick in a 90 degree fashion, or "quarter-circle" because it's a quarter of the analog stick. You have to input this really fast though, since you have less than half a second to do it. But this dramatically reduces knockback, and helps you surivive hits that not even regular DI will help you survive.

I'll check back on this thread if you still have quesitons.
why would you tilt the control stick left or right if shot up wertically? wouldn't you tilt it downwards to slow yourseld down and go into a fast fall?? there must be something I'm not understanding here

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
Hey thnx that vid really helped me out ;) Now i get why everyone is talkin about DI its very handy indeed. But i used this since i bought Brawl so.... i guess it goes Automatically with me :D

Scala

Smash Ace
why would you tilt the control stick left or right if shot up wertically? wouldn't you tilt it downwards to slow yourseld down and go into a fast fall?? there must be something I'm not understanding here
Nope DIing parallel to the trajectory you got hit from will do absolutely nothing for you. You can't slow yourself down by DIing, you can only try to move yourself away from the edge of the screen

Sliq

Smash Master
I looked at the topic title, then the first post, and I have to say, this thread delivers.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
I know Scala responded to you, but I'll respond in my own way.

DI:ing does not make you slow down when you are sent flying. All it does is redirect where you go when you are sent flying. For example, a stage like Final Destination has a low death cieling, meaning an attack that sends you upwards will have a higher chance of killing you than an attack that will send you left or right.

Given this scenario: A Fox up-smashes you on Final Destination. Where you are on the stage before you are sent flying will be called Point A. After the up-smash, you will be sent flying to where the death cieling is, and will be called Point B. If you don't DI and just let yourself go flying upwards, you will most likely die because the death cieling is low compared to the sides of the level. But let's say you DI left. Now Point B moves to the top left corner of the stage, where the death wall is farther away from the death cieling and therefore allows you to survive.

You can also think of it this way: You are in a stage where the death walls/cielings are exactly the same distance apart (so like a perfect square stage). Let's say the main platform is a walk off platform. Let's say you get up-smashed from the very edge of the walk-off platform. You don't DI. You go straight upwards. Point A to Point B is a straight line going up and down. But let's say you DI left. You go up + left. Your Point A to Point B is now a diagonal, so it spreads out that distance evenly into that diagonal.

The reason why Quarter-Circle DI seems to slow you down is because you are inputting multiple smash DI's while you are performing the quarter turn. So instead of a diagonal or straight line, you are going in a ZIG-ZAG. This happens so fast that only a program such as Action replay will be able to show this Zig-Zag. This video demonstrates Quarter-Circle DI in slow motion using Action Replay. I suggest you watch the whole thing, but if you don't have time, skip to 3:50 while the credits are playing http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...rfect+control&ei=fI0rSPHuO5HCrgKyif2FCg&hl=en

Talazala

Smash Journeyman
So you just imput a direction the moment your hit and you will travel in that direction, right? And about the quarter-turn DI, you travel in the direction your pointing in at the end of the turn right?

Wo. I just watched the video, I had no idea samus could move like THAT.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Don't listen to what almost anyone here said Joshua. To DI, you press the control stick in the PERPENDICULAR DIRECTION to that of which you are flying, otherwise you won't be affected at all. In other words, if you are flying up, move left or right.

There are other DI's, but since you don't understand the basic one, wrap your head around this first. I think it's called Auto-DI.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Don't listen to what almost anyone here said Joshua. To DI, you press the control stick in the PERPENDICULAR DIRECTION to that of which you are flying, otherwise you won't be affected at all. In other words, if you are flying up, move left or right.

There are other DI's, but since you don't understand the basic one, wrap your head around this first. I think it's called Auto-DI.
Auto-DI (Japanese DI, what have you) is only existent in Melee.
Not Brawl.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
So you just imput a direction the moment your hit and you will travel in that direction, right?
Yes, just remember you have to DI perpendicular to where you are going to be sent (IE up-smash means to DI left or right). The direction in which you go may not be as extreme as you might think. It's not like if you get hit by an up-smash and you DI left you got rocketing left. You actually go up-left, instead. Also, if you get hit left, DIing to the left or right will not do anything. Always DI perpendicular when trying to survive big hits.

And about the quarter-turn DI, you travel in the direction your pointing in at the end of the turn right?
No. When you quarter-circle DI, you are rapidly inputting multiple DI's. This means you will move in every direction you inputted, which is why I said you move in a zig-zag. Watch 3:50 of that video I posted if you still don't understand.

Wo. I just watched the video, I had no idea samus could move like THAT.
It's called Super Wavedash. It's something I never bothered to learn or read about because Samus is probably my worst character in Melee. If you're interested, go look on smashwiki or the Melee Samus boards.

Top Bottom