• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Super Serial Attempt to Veer Hate Away from Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, this rant is to both entertain and educate my opinions. If I seem to fail at the former, ignore the failed attempt at comedy and pay attention to the opinion. If you hate my opinion, feel free to come to my house, ring my doorbell, and then, when I answer, throw your hat down in disgust, say "I challenge you to a duel!", and proceed to FALCON PUNCH me in the gut, turn tail, and run like hell screaming "LOLOL PWN'D NOOB".

From what I understand, everyone's whining and complaining about "how slow Ike is", "how useless Ike is", or "how I'll fold the brim of my hat if he's not garbage tier, and I love my hats!" I'm here to say that "slow" doesn't equal "crap", and that you are a foolish fishy to think so. Bad fishy! BAD! I should grill you where you stand! They positively LOVES grilled fish here in the Ocean State, so you wouldn't last the brunt of 5 minutes here.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd think that someone who played Ike in E for All may think, "Gee, he's slow" would say, "To me, he felt slow, and not all that useful", but people are making it sound as though, just because he's slow, he has no endearing qualities at all, as if he's a garbage tier character. But use your head. Not every character has to follow that same "ZOMG LOOK HOW FAST I IS LOLOLOL I TRAVEL AT THE SPEED OF ROFLCOPTER" design, which is so boring to play or watch in my opinion. There's no excitement or differentiation in such a character.

Ike seems more like a "countering and punishing" character than a "mindgames and shffl" character thats so popular in this current metagame. If anything, he'd also be a great edgeguarder, free-for-aller, baller (BALLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN), shot-caller, roller, or team character. The fact that he's slow is more of a troublesome nuisance than a truly crippling issue when faced with the fact that some of his moves can easily counter his slowness. His F-B, D-B, N-A, Grab, and U-B all seem rather fast when compared to his other moves, which could, if strategized correctly, throw off an opponent who thinks they know your timing.

Then theres the whole fact that Ike's moves hit HARD, and with slight immortality to boot, so even if you only get a few hits in, they're getting some serious damage and knockback. The simple fact that Ike's move do so much in one shot is even more of an attest to the fact that he's meant for strategy, not "ZOMG SPEED LOOK MOM THEKINETICENERGYOFMYRUNNINGSALLOWESMETOSTICKTOTHEWALLSWITHMYSPEEEED ONOS I FELL!!"

And, another thing. Just because you've played a 2 minute session of a demo for a game that's not scheduled to be out for another 85 days, where there's libel to be many many changes during playtest and development, doesn't mean your automatically an expert on them. Who knows, maybe they'll speed him up by a million fold, make him like the Flash on crack, and automatically become "Super Omega Hyper Deadly Combo Finish Tier" and all of what I said will be proven null. Or maybe he'll get Super Armor Frames when he crouches or walks or sneezes or jumps or blinks or breathes or says "DO A F**KIN' BARREL ROLL". I don't know, and neither do you, because the game's not out yet.

We could make up strategies and combos and counter-combos and sh*t until the days of The Second Ragnorok, but nothing can truly be said without actually having the finished copy of the game, putting it in your Wii-nis, turning on said Wii-nis, selecting the little Brawl icon, getting to Vs. or Training mode, selecting Ike as your character, going to whatever stage of your choosing, and then spending 200+ freakin' hours of your life playing as him, learning all of his strengths and weaknesses, learning the EXACT SHADE of blue his hair is, learning how many fabrics are in his cape, learning what f**king shoe size he has, and then coming from without the recesses of your room/basement/kitchen/bathroom to tell us all that Ike has Navy-blue hair with a hint of Topaz, he has 145,672,475 threads in his cape, his shoe size is 13 Mens, and that his moves are absolutely perfect in this or that situation, but suck *** in that or this situation. Then I will look at you weird and say "Why the f**k did you actually do that? You're stupid."

Ketsuban80

Smash Rookie
Actually, I think Ike looks pretty cool. I'm looking forward to playing as him. So I don't care If he's slow or not, as long as he's a useful character.

1. I didn't bother reading it because of the atrocious grammar.

2. Ike isn't good, not matter what you say. So what if the game isn't out yet? The demo contained characters that were finished in development, and the demo isn't going to be a dramatic change from the final product contrary to popular belief.

3. Did you go to E For All? Did you play with Ike? If any one of them are no, then you have no room to talk. Just because you see things from your persepcetive doesn't make them absolute. You're acting as if they can just completely change a finished character so late in development when they can spend their time touching things up.

4. The time argument is invalid when you have several people with you that have made analysis on Ike. Several Smashboards memebers were at E For All and we all left opinions on characters in the demo. Your farfetched assumptions about us playing the game for a breif period of time is ridiculous. Brawl was about the only thing we payed attention to through out the entire convention.

Obviously, you attempted to read it. Otherwise, how can you make your other views? Through guesswork? Or MAGIC?! ZOMG You MUST be magic, or you actually read what I said. Of course, if you were, make Brawl finished, glitch-free, and totally balanced.

2. Ike isn't good, not matter what you say. So what if the game isn't out yet? The demo contained characters that were finished in development, and the demo isn't going to be a dramatic change from the final product contrary to popular belief.

First off, Ike can be good, no matter what you or any other smash-elitist morons say. You know why? Because people like me will put in the time and effort to master his strengths and overcome his weaknesses. It won't be easy by any stretch of the imagination, but it's possible. Taj made Mewtwo good. Gimpy made Bowser good. Why can't I make Ike good? Second off, are you Sakurai? Are you working on Brawl right now? Do you have concrete, fail-proof evidence that they won't change anything about Ike or his speed? Are you a total insider with insight beyond any of us? If yes, is Ridley in Brawl? If no, well, I think what I said speaks for itself....(Words speaking...huh?)

3. Did you go to E For All? Did you play with Ike? If any one of them are no, then you have no room to talk. Just because you see things from your persepcetive doesn't make them absolute. You're acting as if they can just completely change a finished character so late in development when they can spend their time touching things up.

Okay, you've got me there. I did not go to E for All. But since when did I say my opinions were absolute? Did you not read the first paragraph? I said if you had a problem with it, falcon punch me. I never said what I said was right, simply that it's my opinion.

4. The time argument is invalid when you have several people with you that have made analysis on Ike. Several Smashboards memebers were at E For All and we all left opinions on characters in the demo. Your farfetched assumptions about us playing the game for a breif period of time is ridiculous. Brawl was about the only thing we payed attention to through out the entire convention.

Once again, I may have been jumping the gun a bit, but in the entire perspective of things, you guys had, what, 4 days of Brawl? With big lines and waiting times? Trying to get true character impressions in that time-frame is like trying to do physics homework in a car driving down a dirt road. I've never done it, and it may have been easier to do than it looks, but I'm sure as hell not gonna try it, because I may f**k up on something, or find out later that the homework was changed and I didn't know about that because I was out from school yesterday. Er....Something like that...maybe...
Stop directing your post to one person. >.>

I'm just stating my opinion on Ike in the Ike Character Discussion forum. Isn't that what I'm allowed to do? Say what I think? Since when is that bad?
Yeah, my responces are bolded. ph33r.

lukintosh

Smash Ace
I'm sorry but all we can do now is wait and hopefully the developer team does something about Ike. But don't stir up trouble even before actual judgement can be made. Besides, as you said yourself, it's just a demo. So why are you trying to veer away hate from Ike? For now he's bad. Face it. I doubt that anyone really hates Ike. They just say that he's slow. And he is. That's not hating. That's sheer reality.

I'm sorry but all we can do now is wait and hopefully the developer team does something about Ike. But don't stir up trouble even before actual judgement can be made. Besides, as you said yourself, it's just a demo. So why are you trying to veer away hate from Ike? For now he's bad. Face it. I doubt that anyone really hates Ike. They just say that he's slow. And he is. That's not hating. That's sheer reality.
It's not even that people are saying he's slow, it's that they're saying he's slow AND useless. And that they're basing it off of a four-day public demo. I wouldn't be all "kaflibamuhflib" if it wasn't for that fact. I'm veering hate from people who are judging Ike on that one time frame. I hate it when people judge something so harshly before even giving it a true running chance, especially when the finished product won't be out for another 86 days.

However, with that said, I appreciate that people like you and Eternal Pheonix Fire are inquiring this thread intelligently, and not some ***-hat noobs saying "ZOMG STFU IKE SUX LOLOLZ". It makes me appreciate the kind of community this is. Sorta.

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
... FALCON PUNCH!

I totally agree though. I can play Roy with the best(ish) of them... Even though he is considered to really suck.

What people don't realize about Roy is:

1. Counter rocks!
2. Edgeguarding Master!
3. 5 hits will do the trick!

He doesn't have hardly any combo potential. But if you can get a few solid hits off, send your opponent off the stage, and can counter really, really well... Well, then you can win the majority of battles.

I imagine the same fate for Ike. Of course he will not be a Fox in Melee. The Marth swordsman will be able to trash him around like a ragdoll... But he will be playable, and very competitive in the right hands. EX: Mewtwo.

Marthgreil

Smash Journeyman
... FALCON PUNCH!

I totally agree though. I can play Roy with the best(ish) of them... Even though he is considered to really suck.

What people don't realize about Roy is:

1. Counter rocks!
2. Edgeguarding Master!
3. 5 hits will do the trick!

He doesn't have hardly any combo potential. But if you can get a few solid hits off, send your opponent off the stage, and can counter really, really well... Well, then you can win the majority of battles.

I imagine the same fate for Ike. Of course he will not be a Fox in Melee. The Marth swordsman will be able to trash him around like a ragdoll... But he will be playable, and very competitive in the right hands. EX: Mewtwo.
Counter anyone? IKe counter will trash him.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman

Dude, and you made such an intelligent post in another topic. >< Jeez, man.

1. If you didn't read it, why are you responding?

2. First of all, no the characters shown in the demo were not complete; people have reported errors and bugs. Nothing in a demo is complete; they're just finished and polished enough that the average player won't experience any problems. Not just that, now the devs also have the feedback from us to change things that they believe might need changing. Second, if you bothered to read the initial post in this topic, as well as some of the posts made by people like, for example, me, you'd hopefully see that Ike has plenty of potential, even from the limited data people got from him. Just like this thread's creator said, not all good characters have to be lightspeed combo machines of death, or lightspeed characters with broken levels of knockback. I can realize this and I didn't even go to E4A. You did, didn't you? Why can't you see what others can?

Of course, I'm not saying Ike WILL be top tier or anything like that. But he COULD. So what if he plays differently than most? Peach plays differently than most, and she's freakin' awesome.

3/4. Yes, people went to E4A and made their judgments. Judgments based on limited playtime of an unfinished game. Even Gimpyfish, with his wonderful Brawl Impressions topic, admits that. Of course the people who went to E4A are going to tell people about it, but just because they say "Ike sucks because he's slow" after playing him for 2 minutes, doesn't mean that's the absolute truth. That's the same reason why there isn't a new tier list yet; just like the topic creator said, we have to spend the time learning the characters and unlocking their potential. And THEN, and ONLY THEN, will anyone be able to truly say whether or not Ike is bad.

Cless

Smash Champion
I just wanted to say that a counter and punish type character requires massive amounts of mindgames to pull off, contrary to what the tc said.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to say that a counter and punish type character requires massive amounts of mindgames to pull off, contrary to what the tc said.
Indeed. Any sort of strategy in a fast-paced game environment, hell, any form of combat, is as much a physical as a mental battle. No matter what you're playing you've got to both outdo and outthink your opponent.

Remember, people, some of the things the TC says, like:

"Ike seems more like a "countering and punishing" character than a "mindgames and shffl" character thats so popular in this current metagame."

Aren't to be taken at face value. When he said "mindgames and shffl", he meant offensive mindgames, which are "so popular in this current metagame" due to Marth, Fox, Falco, Sheik and Peach. Ike's strategy will require a different sort of mentality than, say, Metaknight or Fox. They and their Melee counterparts can overwhelm the opponent with combo oriented offense, and thus their players think along those lines; how to outthink their opponents into falling into their combos. Ike cannot bring such an all-out offense; he's just too slow. Ike players will have to think methodically; how to keep themselves alive and wait until just the right moment to strike.

Cless

Smash Champion
Well, if Ike ends up having super armor on all his smashes and b moves, he might become an offensive powerhouse, but as of now...

True Fool

Smash Ace
As far as being a playable character goes, I believe Ike will either be too slow to be usable in competitive play, or the super armor will make him near broken.

But as far as a logical character goes, I still think it's f*cking ridiculous to make him the slowest, strongest character in the game. It doesn't suit him, it doesn't suit the rest of the cast, it's just awkward all over.

GenG

Smash Lord
You're acting as if they can just completely change a finished character so late in development when they can spend their time touching things up.
Maybe you remember Melee 1.0, 1.1, 1.2... characters nerfed and improved between releases.

ripman3

Smash Journeyman
I agree that he LOOKS cool. His attacks have style.
I Have no idea as to how he plays besides what i've been informed by gimpy and others and by the videos; that said he does look painfully slow to play in a 1v1 match.

Psydon

Smash Journeyman
ripman, you're still thinking the way everybody else is thinking when you're looking at Ike. You're thinking that Ike is supposed to be another Roy, only slower but more powerful. You're thinking, or were thinking, that you can/will do the same mega-offense combo with Ike. The reality is that, as many have said, Ike is simply too slow for something like that. But that does not mean Ike sucks. Even if it might mean that Ike isn't the easiest character to pick up, Ike has his strengths.

You have to think outside the box.

Not all characters are like that. Look at Mario. He's a combo machine, but not in the same way, for example, Marth and Fox are. He lacks both the speed to rush in and overwhelm, and the range to outspace basically all the characters. So what do Mario players do? They utilize Mario's agility and versatility to outmaneuver their opponents, getting around them rather than beating them to a pulp before they can react or simply outreaching them.

Ike has plenty of range (more than any non-projectile character has ever had), godly power and a hefty amount of weight, but he's easily the slowest character in Smash history. So the question you have to ask is: how do you take advantage of the strengths while overcoming the weaknesses? This is the same question any player has to ask concerning the character he or she wants to use.

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
For the record, this rant is to both entertain and educate my opinions. If I seem to fail at the former, ignore the failed attempt at comedy and pay attention to the opinion. If you hate my opinion, feel free to come to my house, ring my doorbell, and then, when I answer, throw your hat down in disgust, say "I challenge you to a duel!", and proceed to FALCON PUNCH me in the gut, turn tail, and run like hell screaming "LOLOL PWN'D NOOB".

From what I understand, everyone's whining and complaining about "how slow Ike is", "how useless Ike is", or "how I'll fold the brim of my hat if he's not garbage tier, and I love my hats!" I'm here to say that "slow" doesn't equal "crap", and that you are a foolish fishy to think so. Bad fishy! BAD! I should grill you where you stand! They positively LOVES grilled fish here in the Ocean State, so you wouldn't last the brunt of 5 minutes here.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'd think that someone who played Ike in E for All may think, "Gee, he's slow" would say, "To me, he felt slow, and not all that useful", but people are making it sound as though, just because he's slow, he has no endearing qualities at all, as if he's a garbage tier character. But use your head. Not every character has to follow that same "ZOMG LOOK HOW FAST I IS LOLOLOL I TRAVEL AT THE SPEED OF ROFLCOPTER" design, which is so boring to play or watch in my opinion. There's no excitement or differentiation in such a character.

Ike seems more like a "countering and punishing" character than a "mindgames and shffl" character thats so popular in this current metagame. If anything, he'd also be a great edgeguarder, free-for-aller, baller (BALLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN), shot-caller, roller, or team character. The fact that he's slow is more of a troublesome nuisance than a truly crippling issue when faced with the fact that some of his moves can easily counter his slowness. His F-B, D-B, N-A, Grab, and U-B all seem rather fast when compared to his other moves, which could, if strategized correctly, throw off an opponent who thinks they know your timing.

Then theres the whole fact that Ike's moves hit HARD, and with slight immortality to boot, so even if you only get a few hits in, they're getting some serious damage and knockback. The simple fact that Ike's move do so much in one shot is even more of an attest to the fact that he's meant for strategy, not "ZOMG SPEED LOOK MOM THEKINETICENERGYOFMYRUNNINGSALLOWESMETOSTICKTOTHEWALLSWITHMYSPEEEED ONOS I FELL!!"

And, another thing. Just because you've played a 2 minute session of a demo for a game that's not scheduled to be out for another 85 days, where there's libel to be many many changes during playtest and development, doesn't mean your automatically an expert on them. Who knows, maybe they'll speed him up by a million fold, make him like the Flash on crack, and automatically become "Super Omega Hyper Deadly Combo Finish Tier" and all of what I said will be proven null. Or maybe he'll get Super Armor Frames when he crouches or walks or sneezes or jumps or blinks or breathes or says "DO A F**KIN' BARREL ROLL". I don't know, and neither do you, because the game's not out yet.

We could make up strategies and combos and counter-combos and sh*t until the days of The Second Ragnorok, but nothing can truly be said without actually having the finished copy of the game, putting it in your Wii-nis, turning on said Wii-nis, selecting the little Brawl icon, getting to Vs. or Training mode, selecting Ike as your character, going to whatever stage of your choosing, and then spending 200+ freakin' hours of your life playing as him, learning all of his strengths and weaknesses, learning the EXACT SHADE of blue his hair is, learning how many fabrics are in his cape, learning what f**king shoe size he has, and then coming from without the recesses of your room/basement/kitchen/bathroom to tell us all that Ike has Navy-blue hair with a hint of Topaz, he has 145,672,475 threads in his cape, his shoe size is 13 Mens, and that his moves are absolutely perfect in this or that situation, but suck *** in that or this situation. Then I will look at you weird and say "Why the f**k did you actually do that? You're stupid."
I like you, you make me laugh (in a good way)

I agree on everything you said.

Brawleri

Smash Journeyman
I think Ike is looking awesome with those powerful moves of his. At least he's not in the same level as bowser was in melee, and that's enough :).

He has some good moves really, can't say it really because i didn't go to E for all, but i think he's better than many think. He has strong attacks, but is slow. I think he maybe good wih the hands of a master. We can't tell at the moment

True Fool

Smash Ace
I think Ike is looking awesome with those powerful moves of his. At least he's not in the same level as bowser was in melee, and that's enough :).
Ugh, that's exactly the problem, he's not on the same level as Bowser in Melee, he's gone into his own, even worse level of slowness in Brawl.

Cless

Smash Champion
Ok, two things: one, Ike and any other character with super armor can be grabbed out of their attacks. If the attacks are really that slow to execute, Ike is going to have problems, and two, tier lists are based upon 1v1s. It doesn't matter how good Ike is in ffa's or teams. They're separate tier lists for that. The fact that every one of Ike's moves is a killing move doesn't matter if he can never get one off.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
If any of you have ever seen the process games go through on their way to release you'd know that they very well COULD change Ike's, or any character's properties from the demo to the final.

It isn't definite that they will do this by any means, but it's not hard to go back and change things like frames and such. Hell, it's not even that hard to throw out a mechanic completely and go from scratch. When you test games for a living as I do, you see stuff like the problem with Ike's lag get played around with all the time, possibly right down to the version before the master that goes out to the public.

So it is fixable, the question is whether or not they actually will.

Cless

Smash Champion
No one is questioning the fact that Ike can be fixed. It's just that people keep thinking that Ike can do things. The fact that there are grabs in this game destroys most of Ike's usefulness. What's the point of being a defensive, countering character if you can be grabbed out of all your super armor frames and all the times you try to counter? He can have all the power in the world, but if his attack still has a half second start up time...

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
No one is questioning the fact that Ike can be fixed. It's just that people keep thinking that Ike can do things. The fact that there are grabs in this game destroys most of Ike's usefulness. What's the point of being a defensive, countering character if you can be grabbed out of all your super armor frames and all the times you try to counter? He can have all the power in the world, but if his attack still has a half second start up time...
My point exactly. If Ike doesn't get better, I have a feeling that the Ike forums will end up like the Roy forums, and if you guys know what's it like, it's not a place you want to go most of the time. Whether he's better or not, I'll still main him and beat Kaybk-Greenmyst.

Then don't get grabbed.

Anyone who's ever played a slow countering/defensive character in any other fighting game, like Baiken from Guilty Gear or Shizune or Shikamaru from Naruto Ultimate Ninja, would know when to counter, when to attack, and when to dodge or run. You wouldn't just hit DownB every time the opponent approaches you, else you get feinted and left wide open. At the same time, when your opponent gives an attack that very easy to counter, you wouldn't turn tail and run, lest you want to miss a good opportunity. And if you get a chance for a nice, firm slash with an FSmash, you don't just sit there like and idiot, waiting for them to attack, especially with the longest reach of a non projectile character in the game. If they come in for an attack, you gotta counter, dodge, roll, crouch, jump, do whatever you can to get away. It doesn't take a genius to realize that getting grabbed is a bad thing, and I wouldn't expect you to need to be told to move when under attack.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Then don't get grabbed.
Easier said than done, especially when going up against characters that are faster and better at executing grabs, evasive manuevers, and attacks faster than you. A good player doesn't make a character good. Ike is bad in the demo and needs to be better in the final version so he can be playable at the competitive level.

Cless

Smash Champion
Also on the range note, apparently Sonic has a ridiculous dash grab, so Ike's range wouldn't be nearly as useful. He'd have such a bad matchup against Sonic it wouldn't be funny.

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
FALCOOOOON PAAAUUN-

J/K, lol

I agree with you. People are underrating and underestimating Ike when they had barely any time to play him.

Cless

Smash Champion
That doesn't make Mewtwo good though. His Mewtwo is good. That doesn't change the fact that Mewtwo generally has bad matchups against most characters.

Hallowed Storm

Smash Journeyman
Ok, two things: one, Ike and any other character with super armor can be grabbed out of their attacks. If the attacks are really that slow to execute, Ike is going to have problems, and two, tier lists are based upon 1v1s. It doesn't matter how good Ike is in ffa's or teams. They're separate tier lists for that. The fact that every one of Ike's moves is a killing move doesn't matter if he can never get one off.
Cless, I really like it how you seem like you aren't biased against Ike. You just give the straight, hard facts (of the current time), and you don't seem like you always want to start arguments with others. It's nice to see people like you around the forums.

And... Xaos, you're crazy. But that's a good thing... I think. :laugh:

I think I'm now willing to side with people like Cless in this argument; I want to give the hard facts, but there is also a part of me wanting to tell myself that Ike will be a good character. I'll know nothing until Feb. 10th.

unirags1987

Smash Rookie
I used to main Marth, and if he dosenst get in i'm plaining on trying to main Ike. And in my opinion he is looking pretty great as of right now.

Eki

Smash Cadet
everyone keeps sayin that ike is going to be close to the bottom on the tier list. I on the other hand think that he will be crazy when those combos start commin along. And anther thing, I think they made ike unrealistic from the Fire emblem GC or Wii game. It doesnt make any sense how hes slow.

Cless

Smash Champion
Don't double post.

Ephraim would be interesting, but he'd probably fall the way of Lyn if he got into the game at all.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
Ephraim? He really didn't impact me that much or FE in my opinion. He seemed lacking in personality and I couldn't find anything intresting about him, besides the fact that he is a pretty exceptional unit. Other than his awesome stats I really didn't like him too well. He seems better suited for an assist trophy, but who knows.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
all of FE8 wasn't all that great imo.
Too true. It may have been the boring story, the characters, the gaiden-esque traveling system(Though I really loved Gaiden.) or the short length of the main campaign.

Nothing seemed special about it, though I still think of it as a decent title, but one of the worst in the FE series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom