• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A troublesome jigglypuff

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
Hi all.

So historically I guess I would say I have had problems with fighting jiggs, and a couple years back a crewmate of mine picked her up just to show everyone he could win with her. At first I got wrecked consistently, and was immediately inclined to say she has the advantage in the MU, but over time I started doing much better to the point where I largely considered jiggs far overhyped. My crewmate stopped playing jiggs and went back to falco.

Well recently in the smash community where I go to school, we have gotten a new regular player. He is primarily a brawl player, and apparently very good at it (I know nothing about the MI brawl scene so I have no idea what that means), but since we basically exclusively play melee and PM where I go to school he has been playing those much more. In melee he plays jiggs (for obvious reasons).

All I can say is without a doubt, he plays gayer than any ************ I've ever had to face in my entire time playing this game, which is admittedly not THAT long, but in any case, I don't know how to combat it. At a local tourney last semester we met in grands when he was a bit more inexperienced at melee, but his strategy was the same--get a lead, however small, and camp the ledge AS HARD AS YOU CAN. When I say "camp" I don't mean like hang out there for a little while. I don't mean wait until the opponent gives an opportunity to get back onstage. I mean I will wait on the complete opposite end of Dreamland for the better part of 2 minutes and he will remain invincible the entire time because he's just resetting on the ledge without end. However, being that he either was just a little two inexperienced at melee yet, or maybe didn't even yet himself realize the scope of how powerful such a strategy could be, he 3-0'd me to reset the bracket, but I was able to play his game to a sufficient extent that I came back and 3-0'd him in the second set to take the tourney.

Well this semester already we've faced off three times, and I've lost every single one. Only games I have been able to take have been on yoshi's when I can actually kill him from across the stage, but of course that stage is only an option when we meet in a bo5 set because he can't ban it.

Of course my first reaction is to try and be honest with myself--"No johns," I say. He's found a reliable strategy and there's no reason he should stop using it just because I can't seem to figure it out. But honestly the more and more I play him, the more it's blatantly obvious to me that this is downright gamebreaking. And once I realized that it brought to mind a video I watched some time ago, of Hax vs. M2K GFs at some tourney (some smashacre maybe? link me if you can remember) where m2k goes jiggs one game to do EXACTLY what this jigglypuff I'm talking about is doing, and hax says on camera something to the effect of "yeah we're just doing this for one game just so the stream can see that this actually breaks the game." And no matter how many times you tell me "no johns" you're not going to convince me otherwise.

So I guess what I'm asking you falcon players (mainly hax, if you read this) is this: Is there even a viable way to counter this kind of strat with falcon? To be clear, I'm not saying that this breaks the ENTIRE game. I have finally told the jigglypuff in question that I am going fox against him from now on because I have finally admitted to myself that there are certain matchups in this game, whether character or player matchups or a combination of both, that you couldn't PAY a falcon to play, and this is one of them. The obvious answer seems to be as simple as the fact that falcon has no way to make jigglypuff approach AT ALL, whereas fox has lasers AND shine AND usmash. What more could you ask for?

My other question is this: In whatever might be called the "official" tournament ruleset for melee, what constitutes stalling? Admittedly I don't see hbox using this kind of strategy against falcon, although admittedly you don't see him play against a lot of falcons, and I'm sure after TBH3 hax won't be going falcon against him anymore. But why doesn't he stall harder? Also, I know there is a ledgegrab limit in brawl, but has anything like that ever been enforced in melee? I guess what I'm saying is, my gut reaction is to accept the virtue of "no johns", but my intuition is that there's something ****ing wrong with being able to win like this. It isn't that the guy TOTALLY sucks at melee, but it's similar to something gravy said in his thread about hating losing to sheik--I don't even feel like I lose to this guy when I lose to him. I literally just don't have the 2+ hours it would take to play that kind of game (with falcon), so I just sort of lose to myself. It's infuriating and completely absurd at the same time.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of text, but if anyone has any clear answers or could link that particular hax vs. m2k set I was thinking of, I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

SolarSkurge

Smash Journeyman
I know your pain. I got wrecked by a solid Jiggs at Toasted Ravs, was a horrible first tournament loss for my first actual tournament. The only advice I can really offer is to out-lame him. Wait for him to miss something, and learn that punish game. Knee can kill at like 60-ish percent so try to get dthrow>knee for your most basic punish. Don't try to hit him too much when he's recovering, lest you get screwed over yourself. Try to maintain a solid neutral foundation on the stage, because the character will always beat you on the ledge. Try to avoid any uair platform pokes, and save your jump because it's extremely hard to get out of juggles that puff can use on you. That's about all I have off the top of my head for now.

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
lol okay that didn't help at all

well then blacktician, what's the best way to punish his brief period of vulnerability as he retreats to the ledge? i'm honestly stumped. so if he pops up with a fair i can punish with bair, but if he never stops regrabbing the ledge then wth do i honestly do? and you mean to tell me that jiggs can't let go and regrab the ledge before her invincibility runs out?

ShrieK1295

Smash Journeyman
lol okay that didn't help at all

well then blacktician, what's the best way to punish his brief period of vulnerability as he retreats to the ledge? i'm honestly stumped. so if he pops up with a fair i can punish with bair, but if he never stops regrabbing the ledge then wth do i honestly do? and you mean to tell me that jiggs can't let go and regrab the ledge before her invincibility runs out?
Yes, that's what he said and he's right. Stomp has the best hitbox for hitting Jiggs in ledge camping situations. You can always try to take the lead and camp him out. Jiggs also can't hit people on the platform when ledge stalling and you can usually threaten him with from that position.

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
yeah to his credit he's actually gotten a lot better at melee recently and due to the way his style counters a lot of others i'm honestly considering just going fox LOL

SAUS

Smash Ace
I think it comes down to beating his edge stalling. Stomp him if he just drops and then comes back up - if shuffled correctly, it will hit quite far below the edge. Retreat and bair if he tries to come up. Don't be afraid to do it 'just in case' because he can't punish you for it. If he jumps away and then comes back to the edge, you can sneak in some invincibility with the edge and get an invulnerable stomp hitbox while you jump back onto the stage. That's a little dangerous if you aren't comfortable with that kind of thing, though.

It doesn't matter how lame you have to play in a tournament. All that matters is if you win. If you win, you will be happy with yourself. I always tell myself "It's his fault for playing that character/style/whatever" after I play super lame against someone (boomerang and bomb spam against peach/puff, for example).

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Just **** him

Practice alot of ledge tech skill, and you might be able to do something cool like wavedash off into a nair stage spike, like hax did against mew2kings sheik once, or any other aerial. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5a2qAKPYr0 the game on FD

But really, Falcon has the edge in the neutral game, camping aside. Just keep poking puff with frame perfect rising uairs, alot of retreating bairs and zoning nairs.

If they like to full hop, approach with full hop rising dair, and if they land under you, missing the tech/teching in place, do a singe hit nair on the way down. It combos into grab/uairs. Grab/uairs combo into knee/uairs.
If they tech roll, just react to it and dthrow > knee. I'm pretty sure you can throw out the nair and still cover the rolls.

Moonwalking is also great for countering camping. It's an amazing baiting tool, since you can adjust the length to whatever you like and throw in some sticky walks.

Last edited:

gravy

Smash Ace
My new answer to this has three parts, but works every time. Watch the jiggs for patterns in aerial momentum, and figure it out extremely carefully.

If you know he'll drift on stage with a fair or something before regrabbing, use a disjointed hitbox to wreck him (my favorite is usmash.)

If he's going to drift back for a bair, just knee him (risky, but got me many kills vs prince Abu when he did this to me.)

If you know he's coming back to the ledge after just dropping off or trying to jump backwards and come back, ledge cancel a stomp, and then start hax dashing and turn it into an edgeguard situation in which she inevitably dies (when you're good enough at haxdashing she'll try to bair you off in a futile fashion until she realizes she's almost out of jumps, then she'll try air dodging on and you'll kill her.)

If you can get the ledge from her you never ever have to let go, and can just force her to die with properly timed stomps, bairs, and hax dashes.

gravy

Smash Ace
Granted what you're doing is much harder than what she's doing, but who cares, you're taking away her only chance to win because you're manly as **** and jiggs sucks LOL

General Heinz

Smash Journeyman
yeah that's definitely the frustrating part--just the lengths that you have to go to to accomplish the same thing that she does by camping bair >.< but i feel you, and thanks for the tips. since posting this thread i've done much better against this particular jiggles and i'm starting to develop a better mindset about it. i suppose one of the harder things is just accepting that the match is gonna take a while, so you really have to be in it to win it and not rush things at all. i've also gotten a lot of mileage out of ledge-canceled stomps like you said gravy, definitely works well. i do gotta practice my hax dashes though.

for real though, thanks again everybody. long live the falcon boards.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Long live Falcon!

Remember: Falcon is the hero of this game! A hero's journey is filled with hardship, and villains like Falco, Jiggs and Sheik enjoy their easy lasers, bairs, ftilts and ledge camping, while Falcon must utilize insayan tech skill and reaction time to overcome this. But when you do, the crowd will celebrate your name forever!

JuMP

Smash Rookie
This matchup has always bothered me as well, any vids of a good falcon taking out a solid jiggs? I know s2j recently beat soft so that's a good place to start but any others?

Top Bottom