• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Warrior of Light! Black Mage for Super Smash Bros.! (#BlackMage4Smash4DLC!))

Hong

The Strongest
There are not a lot of characters who could represent Square-Enix properly, but I would say good ol' BM could do it fairly handily. Works out nicely, as the general gist on the forums is that we want another spellcaster.

White Mage has always been my Light Warrior of choice, but Black Mage is right up there in second. I plan to play through the original with four Black Mages eventually.

Edit - Font colour in OP is horrible on the eyes, Just letting you know. >.>

Last edited:

BandanaDee

Smash Journeyman
Hey there, I see this thread hasnt been used in over 2 weeks now and I was wondering if I would be allowed to take it over. I would like to make some improvements on it if I would be allowed to do so. I feel a lot more information about the past and relevance to nintendo could be made here as well as historic importance of the character.

Metal_Sonic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Darktriforce1990
3DS FC
0216-0895-5308
If Sakurai allowed switching characters it would be cool seeing the Warrior class, Monk Class, Black Mage Class, and White Mage class playable.

Koori

Smash Rookie
In Super Smash Bros., smash attacks are your KO moves while specials are mostly alternate ways of racking up damage or pulling off techniques, so given that the elemental spells are a Black Mage's main kill moves, that is why my moveset idea ended up like this:

Mechanic: Character has an MP bar which is needed for Specials and Smash attacks and gets drained when they are used. MP can only be recovered using and landing Osmose. Standard tilts, dash, aerials, etc., wouldn't use MP and would be rather weak.

A Jab combo: Two overhead Staff strikes, a la Final Fantasy 4.

Forward Smash: Thundara.- goes through platforms, but only hits at ground strike point, right in front of user

Down Smash: Blizzara.- summons icy spikes from the ground on both sides of caster

Up Smash: Fira.- creates a fire pillar with little horizontal reach and good vertical reach

B: Drain.- Damages and heals for a small amount

Side B: Osmose.- Does not inflict damage but restores a large amount of MP. Does not consume MP

Down B: Poison.- Poisons an opponent

Up B: Demi.- Creates a gravity well which pulls nearby characters and items towards it. Opponents touching the gravity well get consecutive damage. Can be used as a recovery move by creating the well near the ledge and getting the caster get pulled towards it

Final Smash: Flare or Ultima. In case of Flare, would need to hit opponents in a certain spot in front of the caster (like Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt or Shulk). In the case of Ultima it could work kind of like the Yellow Devil's explosion in Wily's stage, but with a larger blast radius.

Haven't thought of specific details for standard attacks or grab/throws.

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Well, ladies and warriors, this thread has been brought back to life, thanks to our new co-manager, @ AustarusIV AustarusIV , who has also helped flesh-out the OP. Now, the OP is still under a bit of reconstruction still, as some bits were lost when copy and pasting (thanks, mobile Internet), but that should be fixed in the near future. For right now, let us celebrate the return of this thread!

Black mage > geno 100 times over as a square rep.

I give my support wholeheartedly even though i dont care for ff. His design and moveset potential just from the 10 minutes i spent with smash flash 2 excites me.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I have only one thing to say about this...

Count me in! I would like to see Black Mage be playable.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, ladies and warriors, this thread has been brought back to life, thanks to our new co-manager, @ AustarusIV AustarusIV , who has also helped flesh-out the OP. Now, the OP is still under a bit of reconstruction still, as some bits were lost when copy and pasting (thanks, mobile Internet), but that should be fixed in the near future. For right now, let us celebrate the return of this thread!
I'll make periodic updates to this whenever I can. Still, happy to be on board.

@ Wintropy Wintropy ? Come in here and express your support.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And the OP is updated!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I've always entertained the idea of there being a Chocobo Assist Trophy to accompany the Black Mage if he's confirmed as a fighter. Among the possible things it could do, the Chocobo could act like the Hitmonlee summon in 64, pausing for a brief second before jumping towards an opponent and causing high knockback.

As for items, the Flame/Water/Lightning Scrolls from various games could work as ranged weapons.

• Flame Scroll: Summons a medium-sized fireball causes hitstun and 8% damage when hit. Can be used up to eight times.
  • Water Scroll: Summons a blast of water that causes 3% damage each hit. Like Mario's F.L.U.D.D., it should be mostly used for gimping opponents. Can be used up to five times.
  • Lightning Scroll: Summons a bolt of lightning with noticeable starting lag, but causes 12-14% damage with decent knockback. Can be used up to four times.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
While I do like the scroll idea, an item for a 3rd party seems laughably unlikely. Pac Man was the only one to get such, and that obviously was to thank Namco (despite the fact Sakurai said that wouldn't happen. Thanks for another lie).

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
While I do like the scroll idea, an item for a 3rd party seems laughably unlikely. Pac Man was the only one to get such, and that obviously was to thank Namco (despite the fact Sakurai said that wouldn't happen. Thanks for another lie).
I never thought it was a particularly likely possibility. It was only about speculating what kinds of items could be represented in the Final Fantasy series should it ever get a rep.

But regardless of that, I agree that it most likely won't happen given the current rate of 3rd party representation, unless Square Enix somehow decides to help out in developing the next Smash.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i support black mage he is my most wanted square enix rep
but i think it might be hard choise to sakurai to choose a square enix rep from final fantasy because

Cloud = most popular square enix character and FF7 is the best final fantasy game but he doesnt appear in nintendo games alot

Warrior of light = he is the first main hero in a final fantasy game and he is from NES game but he doesnt appear in nintendo games alot like :snake:

White mage = the first question in sakurai head if he would think of black mage might be "why black mage but not white mage? they are just the same, they both appeared in alot of nintendo games and appeared in 2 mario games, but there is people who prefer white mage over black mage and there is people who prefer black mage over white mage i cant make both of them playable in my game because i said 1 character each company"

also why i hear Geno in this thread he isnt owned by square enix anymore he is now owned by alphadream. thats mean he is a 2nd party

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Cloud = most popular square enix character and FF7 is the best final fantasy game
A LOT of people are going to disagree with you on this actually, myself included. Cloud wouldn't have existed were it not for the success of Final Fantasy I, and it's still considered to be an important landmark in video gaming history by most people.

Warrior of light = he is the first main hero in a final fantasy game and he is from NES game but he doesnt appear in nintendo games alot like :snake:
So is the Black Mage. The Fighter wasn't the main hero of Final Fantasy I, his role was no more distinctive than any other class. You could have easily played the game without using the Fighter at all. Also, since when has Snake appeared in a lot of Nintendo games? The Black Mage and the other Final Fantasy job classes have appeared in more Nintendo games throughout their history than Snake ever has.

White mage = the first question in sakurai head if he would think of black mage might be "why black mage but not white mage? they are just the same, they both appeared in alot of nintendo games and appeared in 2 mario games, but there is people who prefer white mage over black mage and there is people who prefer black mage over white mage i cant make both of them playable in my game because i said 1 character each company"
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. You're worried that Sakurai might be conflicted over choosing two iconic classes from the Final Fantasy series? Like that hasn't happened before with Fire Emblem Awakening and its main characters for SSB4.

I don't think choosing between the White Mage and the Black Mage will be a very hard decision for Sakurai at all. For a fighting game series like Super Smash Bros., as it would be logical to include the mage whose spells are specialized in using attack magic, rather than the designated healer.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. First you claimed the Final Fantasy job classes didn't appear very much on Nintendo systems, and now you say that they appeared in a lot of Nintendo games? And for that matter, I don't think choosing between the White Mage and the Black Mage will be a very hard decision for Sakurai at all. For a fighting game series like Super Smash Bros., as it would be logical to include the mage whose spells are specialized in using attack magic, rather than the designated healer.
because black mage and white mage appeared more than warrior of light in nintendo games

everything that i said here was just my opinion :drshrug:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So, I'm currently trying to draw Black Mage by hand, and I'm wondering on your opinions on it (It's still a work in progress).
View attachment 42462
I'd say that the hat needs to be floppy enough to cover the back of his head and the head should be a wee bit smaller. Everything else is fine.

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I would like to be added to the support list, I'm a fan of Black Mage in SSF2 and the FF games, I'd love to see him in an official Smash Bros.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I feel guilty for leaving this thread to collect dust while I was studying for my midterms, but now that that's taken care of for now, here's some rough drawings of the portions of the Final Fantasy stage that I've conceptualized in the OP!

pandaemonium.png
The black background you see there isn't necessarily supposed to look like that. It's supposed to be a continuation of the hexagon pattern you see throughout the area, but I couldn't fully replicate it out of laziness.

giantofbabil.png
As you can see here (as was detailed in the stage description, Rubicante and the other Elemental Archfiends are the stage hazards of this portion of the stage.

There are four Archfiends: Rubicante, Barbariccia, Cagnazzo, and Scarmiglione. Each of them will their respective powers to destroy the fighters indiscriminately.

Scarmiglione will exude a cloud of poison gas that damages the fighters continuously, Cagnazzo will summon a massive tsunami wave that can push fighters off the stage, Barbariccia will call forth tornados of varying sizes that can send the fighters flying, and Rubicante will cast pillars of fire that cause high knockback. Depending on the Archfiend present, they may or may not make a positive remark about how well the fighters stood against their magic.

As for Black Mage, I've restarted my work on an original moveset for him, and I hope to post it here in this thread soon. Also, here's this awesome Support Icon to put in your signatures, courtesy of N3ON!

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The music for the stage "Final Fantasy" will consist of these tracks:

1. Final Fantasy Medley (remix)
    1. Main Theme of Final Fantasy I/Battle Theme (Chaos Shrine)
    2. Pandaemonium/Battle 2 (Pandaemonium)
    3. Eternal Wind/Battle 2 (Altar Cave)
    4. Battle with the Four Fiends (Giant of Babil)
    5. Battle on the Big Bridge (Big Bridge)
    6. Floating Continent/Battle to the Death (Floating Continent)
  2. Final Fantasy Retro Medley (Basically the same as the medley above, but with the original songs ripped directly from the source material)
  3. Tower of the Magi/Imperial Army Theme (Final Fantasy II) (remix)
  4. Red Wings (Final Fantasy IV) (remix)
  5. Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI) (Final Tier) (remix)
  6. Super Smash Bros. de Chocobo (remix)
  7. Airship Medley (remix)
  8. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Retro Medley
  9. Chrono Trigger Retro Medley
  10. Mana Retro Medley (containing tracks from Secret of Mana, Seiken Denetsu 3, and Legend of Mana)
  11. Sleeping Treasure in the Sand (Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles) (original)
  12. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Main Theme (original)
I'll try to think of exactly what songs will go into these medleys as soon as I'm finished writing up my original moveset.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Phoenix Down!

Black Mage would be mmy first choice for a FF rep in Smash Bros. He represents the earlier ones that the Nintendo was famous for.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
The music for the stage "Final Fantasy" will consist of these tracks:

1. Final Fantasy Medley (remix)
    1. Main Theme of Final Fantasy I/Battle Theme (Chaos Shrine)
    2. Pandaemonium/Battle 2 (Pandaemonium)
    3. Eternal Wind/Battle 2 (Altar Cave)
    4. Battle with the Four Fiends (Giant of Babil)
    5. Battle on the Big Bridge (Big Bridge)
    6. Floating Continent/Battle to the Death (Floating Continent)
  2. Final Fantasy Retro Medley (Basically the same as the medley above, but with the original songs ripped directly from the source material)
  3. Tower of the Magi/Imperial Army Theme (Final Fantasy II) (remix)
  4. Red Wings (Final Fantasy IV) (remix)
  5. Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI) (Final Tier) (remix)
  6. Super Smash Bros. de Chocobo (remix)
  7. Airship Medley (remix)
  8. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Retro Medley
  9. Chrono Trigger Retro Medley
  10. Mana Retro Medley (containing tracks from Secret of Mana, Seiken Denetsu 3, and Legend of Mana)
  11. Sleeping Treasure in the Sand (Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles) (original)
  12. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance Main Theme (original)
I'll try to think of exactly what songs will go into these medleys as soon as I'm finished writing up my original moveset.
That's the best possible FF music collection ever. Me like.
So, question for you guys: if you had to pick from a SE character an it could not be Black Mage, who would you pick?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well, Terra and Vivi are some of my favorite FF characters, but since the latter never appeared on a Nintendo system and the former is hardly recognized by SE, I don't imagine they'll ever be playable without the use of mods.

Slime is admittedly an okay choice as well IMO. I do like Dragon Quest.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That's the best possible FF music collection ever. Me like.
So, question for you guys: if you had to pick from a SE character an it could not be Black Mage, who would you pick?
Rainbow Mage :p Um... I guess Geno cause I don't really know any other Square Enix characters.
(I might go for Chocobo cause it is the most fun thing to say.)

Last edited:

Tricky Al

Smash Cadet
BM for SE rep! I made an account just to show support for the classiest of mages.

In Super Smash Bros., smash attacks are your KO moves while specials are mostly alternate ways of racking up damage or pulling off techniques, so given that the elemental spells are a Black Mage's main kill moves, that is why my moveset idea ended up like this:

Mechanic: Character has an MP bar which is needed for Specials and Smash attacks and gets drained when they are used. MP can only be recovered using and landing Osmose. Standard tilts, dash, aerials, etc., wouldn't use MP and would be rather weak.

A Jab combo: Two overhead Staff strikes, a la Final Fantasy 4.

Forward Smash: Thundara.- goes through platforms, but only hits at ground strike point, right in front of user

Down Smash: Blizzara.- summons icy spikes from the ground on both sides of caster

Up Smash: Fira.- creates a fire pillar with little horizontal reach and good vertical reach

B: Drain.- Damages and heals for a small amount

Side B: Osmose.- Does not inflict damage but restores a large amount of MP. Does not consume MP

Down B: Poison.- Poisons an opponent

Up B: Demi.- Creates a gravity well which pulls nearby characters and items towards it. Opponents touching the gravity well get consecutive damage. Can be used as a recovery move by creating the well near the ledge and getting the caster get pulled towards it

Final Smash: Flare or Ultima. In case of Flare, would need to hit opponents in a certain spot in front of the caster (like Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt or Shulk). In the case of Ultima it could work kind of like the Yellow Devil's explosion in Wily's stage, but with a larger blast radius.

Haven't thought of specific details for standard attacks or grab/throws.
I had the same idea, adding in an MP bar. I was also thinking his throws could be the not-so-classic Frog spell. It was such a novelty in FF Tactics. Basically you would turn your opponent into a frog before launching them, adding the ability to throw any size character the same distance before they POOF! back to normal. It adds that comical yet powerful effect that the BM is known for.

Also, instead of your Osmose spell you could add a mega throwback and make his Down B a tent! Just imagine, mid-game the BM pops up a tent and restores MP gradually while your opponent is recovering from Flare. So good! I really hope this happens.

Last edited:

pandajedi

Smash Cadet
I think that Black Mage would make for the best Square Enix rep. He's got the Nintendo Mascot character feel, like Pac-Man, Mega Man, and Sonic have, and as far as Final Fantasy reps go, he's specifically a classic FF rep, which is Nintendo HISTORY.

Finally, I have a rather unorthodox idea that would make Black Mage an even better Square Enix rep: BM should have a summon move. Much like Pac-Man, I think Black Mage should have some liberties taken with him to acknowledge other aspects of Square Enix representation. Black Mage may never have been able to do this before, but it's not a big stretch to give a mage this type of ability (like Pac-Man's Namco roulette and his Galaga beam grab attack, and like Mega-Man's moves from all the different robot masters).

Firstly, a summon special. This would randomly (or in a cycle) summon one of: Chocobo, Moogle, and Slime. Each would be cast out onto the battle field and have a unique effect, but only one could exist at a time. Don't worry about wasting one of his specials on this, there's plenty of room in his Smash attacks and other specials to encompass his many elemental and other attacks.

And going one step further, here's my idea for Black Mage's Final Smash:
Warp-
The Warp move was an instant kill attack that would take an enemy and transport them to a void in another dimension. So, I think this move should act like Mega Man/Duck Hunt/Captain Falcon Final Smashes, and when connecting with an opponent send them off screen into a cinematic. What's more, I think that the move could warp the opponent into a void where other Square Enix characters attack them! So imagine they get dropped into a black expanses. Roto/Loto/Erdrick appears and slams the opponent downward. Then, they are struck by lightning as CRONO lunges at them with a flurry of swipes from his katannas. Finally, the camera zooms in on a familiar face, and then zooms out as Cloud comes charging forward, finishing the player off with a swing of his massive sword.

Between these two moves (a summon for some of the cuter mascot characters and a cinematic final smash scene of the most iconic and more serious protagonist characters of Dragon Quest, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy), the Black Mage becomes more than just a Final Fantasy rep, he becomes a Square Enix mascot.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Count me for a supporter, I'll craft up a full moveset later on and post it up when I get the chance. While I foresee him better for Sma5h, I wouldn't mind our caster popping up sooner.

Last edited:

Tricky Al

Smash Cadet
That's some true dedication, mah boi. /CD-I refrences.
Either way, nice to have you aboard!
Thanks, KS! I've only played Smash casually until these past few months. I'd love to go to some tourneys though! I'm a big fighter fan and Sm4sh is quickly becoming one of my favorites. I never knew it was so technical! If the BM miraculously gets voted in expect to see alot more of me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom