• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A Wild Card Appears: Gardevoir Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Thread revival post: go!

Seeing as Gardevoir is now a Fairy and has a Mega-Evolution now, she's more important than ever. While Jigglypuff is also a fairy now (making a potential fairy newcomer unlikely) I cannot see the fairy aspects changing her moveset much (except a new Final Smash which is desperately needed) if it all. Therefore, a fairy newcomer still has a chance. Many people have been clamoring for 6th generation representation, however, getting an actual 6th generation Pokemon is unlikely. Considering Gen 6 is (relatively) recent there was not enough time to gauge the popularity of Gen 6 pokemon before picking a rep, given that SSB4 is slated for a 2014 release. Nevertheless, Gardevoir offers two tenets of Gen 6 in an already popular Pokemon: the new Fairy type and Mega-evolution. Meaning she is an ideal choice to represent the 6th generation and 3rd generation of Pokemon.

But what of Blaziken?
Blaziken as seen (At least around these parts) as a very feasible addition to SSB4. And understandably so, Blaziken as a huge fan-favorite that has also received a Mega-Evolution. And thus would represent the 3rd and 6th generations of Pokemon as well (And, arguably, would represent the 3rd Generation better than Gardevoir given it's huge popularity). However, Gardevoir has 3 (fairly) large advantages over Blaziken:
1.) Fairy typing.
2.) Sakurai's new credentials. Though not written in stone, Sakurai seems to be adding more female characters this time around. While Gardevoir can also be male, it is inarguable that Gardevoir gives off more femininity than Blaziken. I mean, Gardevoir has a built-in dress.
3.) Sakurai also seems to be looking for uniqueness. While I highly doubt Blaziken would be a clone he would feel very similar to one of SSB's most iconic characters. Blaziken is a close-range fighter (though he does have ranged options, he is a physical fighter at heart) with emphasis on speed and has fire-augmented attacks. Thus making him fairly similar to Captain Falcon.

But what of Mewtwo?
Mewtwo is likely the most requested Pokemon at this point (Again, around these parts). Seeing Gardevoir get in, especially over Mewtwo would offend quite a bit (though, less now thanks to Project M). Mewtwo also has gained a Mega-Evolution, in fact, he has two now. Though, Gardevoir has the new Fairy typing over Mewtwo it is hard to argue Gardevoir's inclusion over Mewtwo's. Nevertheless, Mewtwo wouldn't exactly be a Newcomer and Pokemon is certainly large enough to merit more spots (certainly more than the two it has now). I suggest that the two can coexist (however, unlikely that may be). The immediate conclusion that I suspect one would jump to is that the two would be too similar to be included alongside one another. However, that is rather baseless even if they are both psychic types.
Mewtwo is likely the biggest competition that Gardevoir has to deal with.

But what of other Fairy types?
-6th gen faeries such as Florges, Sylveon, Slurpuff, etc. were largely unrevealed during the majority of SSB4's development. Meaning Gamefreak and Sakurai's development team would not have had much to go on terms of which character is popular.
-1st Gen Faeries and Jigglypuff. Though, I've mentioned it before I'll say it again. At this point, as a 3-game Veteran, Jigglypuff is unlikely to see much of a change in her moveset (save for her FS). Other 1st-gen faeries include Mr. Mime and the Clefairy line. Neither seem like legitimate contenders.
-2nd Gen Faeries and Azumarill. I consider Azumarill as the top contender for the 2nd Gen faeries. Unique typing, water/fairy offers a variety of possibilities in Smash. Though, popular it lack a Mega-Evolution and the popularity of Gardevoir. The Togepi line seems perfect where it is, as a Pokeball. The Snubull line seems borderline impossible.
-Mawile. Mawile is also a good choice considering it has a Mega-evolution and the new Fairy-typing. The main issue preventing Mawile from a spot in SSB4 is popularity. Mawile is popular, just not to the extent of Gardevoir or Blaziken.
-5th Gen fairy, Whimsicott. Whimsicott's new fairy typing is the only thing it has going for it.

While Gardevoir is unlikely, she is a legitimate choice. I'd place her chances at somewhere between 3-17%.

[collapse=Gardevoir Moveset]
General: Since Gardevoir is such a feminine pokemon, (I know they can be male or female) I see her moving with the grace of a ballet dancer, with many of her basic attacks based on said idea. Keep this image in mind.

Playstyle: Gardevoir would have a largely defensive playstyle. She would be a mid-weight but suffer from moderate hit-stun and fairly low knockback resistance. Her saving grace are her barriers which help her survive more hits and out-move some faster opponents. Her attack game is not fantastic, but far from weak. She is tall with long limbs so she has pretty decent range on her attacks. Most of her attacks are not easy to kill with, but she good combo potential and some good kill moves. Her grab game is also quite good.

-- Special Moves:

- Standard Special: Reflect/Light Screen
Gardevoir's Pokeball move, but expanded.
This move is chargeable, and will go away after a minute or so it can also be broken if it incurs enough damage.
The weaker the charge, the smaller the barrier: A low charge will produce a barrier that just barely goes around Gardevoir, fully charged it produces a barrier the size her Pokeball incarnation produces. It can be charged while the barrier is already active.
The outer edge of the barrier will reflect projectiles, just like in Brawl. Futhermore, enemies within the barrier will be slowed down slightly/and or give slightly reduced damage/knockback.
Cooldown time can be shortened by landing attacks imbued with psychic power.
Kirby's barrier will be much smaller overall due to, of course, his much smaller size. Kirby will also be unable shorten the cooldown time, because he does not copy any other psychic attacks from Gardevoir.

Attacks imbued with Psychic energy:
-Up Tilt
-Down Smash
-Down Throw
-Back Air
-Forward Air
If sweetspotted these moves will charge her barrier more than usual and do additional knockback.

- Side Special: Psyshock
Psyshock is a unique attack in Pokemon, it is a Special attack that hits a Pokemon's physical Defense stat.
This would be a fairly standard projectile, however it cannot be reflected/absorbed/redirected. Thus damaging those attempt it.

- Up Special: Moonblast
This move will be visually similar to Pit's entrance animation in Brawl.
Gardevoir will ascend upward in a pillar of pink light. This move gives Gardevoir unparalleled upward mobility, however it gives her no lateral distance. She can go up the whole distance of the screen and stop at any point she wants. However, getting back to the stage may be difficult if she was sent flying a moderate distance laterally.
While not extremely powerful this move has decent trapping power. Gardevoir will also not enter freefall afterward, allowing for her to follow up with an aerial if an opponent gets caught in the attack.
Opponent's hit by this attack will have weakened attack strength and knockback for a short time.

- Down Special: Future Sight
A trap-style move. Gardevoir puts her hands to her head and leaves behind a pulsating blob of pink energy.
It will detonate if an enemy gets too close. Can be set in air.

-- Final Smash: Mega-Gardevoir
Gardevoir transform into Mega-Gardevoir in the usual way, the stone will appear around her and break revealing her as Mega-Gardevoir.
As Mega-Garedvoir the power of her barriers is increased: her barrier will extend to the size of Luigi's Negative Zone, it will slow the opponents within it to the extent the timer item does, it will weaken them greatly and will last as long as the traditional Final Form. Naturally Gardevoir herself is also powered up, with all of her attacks dealing more damage and knockback.
This Final Form will be more useful than others as her barrier allows her a very good approach on her opponents.
Furthermore, her secret ability Pixilate will affect those who entered in her barrier for a while afterward. Leaving them weakened by it's Fairy effects.

-- Smashes:

- Side Smash:
Garevoir strikes out forward with her arm and leg, like image 3 on row six.

- Down Smash:
Gardevoir bends down on one leg and spins with the her other leg outstretched. (Like the move Ice Skaters do.)

- Up Smash:
Garevoir kicks her leg straight up (like first image on row two). Her outstretched hand have hitboxes as well.

-- Basic Moves:

- Combo:
A few attacks strung together that look like a dance.

- Side Tilt:
A simple punch.

- Down Tilt:
Gardevoir bends down and kicks, like image 5 on row one.

- Up Tilt:
Gardevoir waves her arms overhead alternately. (Similar to the second-to-last image on the first row.)

- Dash Attack:
Gardevoir does a jumping kick much like a ballerina's jump (both legs full extended). The landing lag is minimal and can quickly move into ground attacks. Furthermore, this move can be canceled into aerials easily by pressing the attack button while in the jump. (Image 4, row one.)

-- Aerial Moves:

- Neutral Aerial:
Gardevoir strikes outward on both sides with all 4 of her limbs outstretched. (Like image 3 on row five.) Sex kick properties.

- Forward Aerial:
A striking knee attack, similar to Captain Falcon's but with less power. (Like image 5 on row four.) Her back leg and arm can do some damage, but much less than her knee.

- Backward Aerial:
Gardevoir kicks backward. (Like image 2 row three.)

- Upward Aerial:
Gardevoir puts both of her arms up, like image 4 row five.

- Downward Aerial:
Gardevoir takes this pose (image 1, row five), before kicking down hard with both legs.

-- Grabs/Throws:
For her grab Gardevoir will use her black hole to pull in opponents. Better range than most non-tether grabs, but also has slightly more ending lag if it misses.

- Pummel:
Gardevoir knees the opponent quickly.

- Forward Throw:
Gardevoir grabs the opponent, swings them overhead and throws them forward.

- Backward Throw:
Gardevoir grabs the opponent, flips over them and kicks them backward.

- Up Throw:
Gardevoir grabs the opponent, drags them along the ground and throws them upward.

- Down Throw:
Gardevoir does handstand on the opponent's shoulders (assuming they have shoulders) and then kicks downward hard.

Other:
-- Taunts:

- Taunt 1:
Gardevoir sits on invisible psychic energy and crosses her legs, looking bored.

- Taunt 2:
Garedvoir spins, her dress fluttering elegantly as she does.

- Taunt 3:
Gardevoir puts her hands together and creates a burst of psychic energy.
[/collapse]

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Here, have some poorly done alternate costumes by me.

The colours are based on Gardevoir's shiny form, Jynx, both forms of Meloetta, and Mawile.

@ ToothiestAura ToothiestAura
It's Fairy, not Faery.

Last edited:

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Faerie is an older spelling. I generally use the spellings interchangeably.

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
I always thought that 'fairy' referrred to the typical happy tooth-collecting type, and that 'faerie' referred to the 'real' ones that devoted fairy faerire fans idolised.
Any opinions on the costumes above?

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I always thought that 'fairy' referrred to the typical happy tooth-collecting type, and that 'faerie' referred to the 'real' ones that devoted fairy faerire fans idolised.
Any opinions on the costumes above?
That might be the way some people use it. But that's likely because the older faerie stories which used that spelling were about scarier creatures.

I like the jynx and mawile colors.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
hmmm.... maybe the fact that the champion of X and Y had a mega Gardevoir maybe it upped her chances?

probably not

Maedhros

Smash Rookie
Go go Thread Necromancy!

Gardevoir's always been a character I wanted playable in Smash Bros, but I didn't think it was very plausible until Greninja was revealed, which kinda showed that any Pokemon has a chance if Sakurai feels interested enough. Since Gardevoir got a mega-evolution and is part of the champion's team, I figured she at least has some semblance of a chance to get in.

With that being said, I took the time to come up with a moveset for Gardevoir, tell me what you guys think.

*Character weight should be lightweight, similar to Toon Link/Game & Watch. Not too good at taking hits, but very good at dealing quick hits.
*Can double jump, although jumps should NOT be floaty like Mewtwo's.
*Fast movement speed. She should be able to move quickly (like Game & Watch/Toon Link) to compensate for her low launch threshold. A glass cannon of sorts.
*As for colors, Default/Green should be her normal green/white coloration and Blue should be her shiny blue/white coloration. Red and the other colors are up to Sakurai.

Smash (A) Button ~ Ground

Neutral-Ground: Jab
- A quick, basic jab. Nothing special here.

Dash-Ground: Thief (TM move in Pokemon X/Y)
- Gardevoir's hands turn dark as she quickly slashes forwards, dealing moderate damage/knock-back to those hit and taking an item if the enemy hit was holding one. Ex: If Link is hit with Thief while holding a bomb, Gardevoir steals it and is now holding the bomb. The same goes for all normal items.

Smash-Left/Right: Thunder Punch (Apparently Thunder Punch is a tutor move in Gens 3-5)
- Gardevoir charges a thunder punch. Upon release, Gardevoir swings and severely damages opponents directly in front of her (can launch). Range should be similar to Toon Link's left/right-smash. I figure this move's animation should look like Gardevoir's physical-attack animation from Pokemon X/Y, except much faster.

Smash-Down: Pirouette
- Similar to ROB's down-smash, Gardevoir twirls around and damages opponents multiple times on both sides, the last hit shouldn't launch as heavily as Thunder Punch, but should still cause some knock-back.

Smash-Up: Psychic Burst
- Gardevoir releases a burst of Psychic energy upwards, dealing heavy damage and launching those caught in the explosion. This move is similar to Lucas's up-smash.

Smash (A) Button ~ Air

Neutral-Air: Psychic Burst ~ Air
- A weaker Psychic Burst that is localized around Gardevoir and hits nearby opponents multiple times (no launch). Similar to Game and Watch's neutral-air, except with a 360-degree damage radius.

Left/Right (Forward-Air): Thief (Can be taught by TM in Pokemon X/Y)
- Gardevoir's hands turn dark as she quickly swings left/right, moderately damaging opponents and taking an item if they were carrying one. Ex: If Link is hit with Thief while holding a bomb, Gardevoir steals it and is now holding the bomb. The same goes for all normal items. If this move is used as a forward-air (dashing -> jumping -> Thief), then the move deals more damage and launches as well.

Up-Air: Backflip
- Gardevoir gracefully backflips in mid-air, moderately damaging anyone directly above her and causing knockback. Similar to Captain Falcon's up-air.

Down-Air: Thunder Punch ~ Air
- Gardevoir quickly swings a Thunder Punch downwards, dealing moderate damage and spiking (meteor smashing) opponents downwards.

Special (B) Button

Neutral B: Psybeam
- A charge move, Gardevoir charges psychic power and unleashes an ROB-like laser that pierces through enemies. This move can be stored similar to Samus/Lucario to fire a max-charge Psybeam later. When fully charged (or when a full charge is stored), Gardevoir's chest-spike is glowing to indicate the charge.

Left/Right B: Magical Leaf
- Gardevoir quickly launches multiple glowing sharp leaves left/right, hitting multiple times (will not launch). Similar to Shiek's fully-charged shuriken in damage, although this attack is visible and somewhat easier to dodge.

Up B: Teleport
- Similar to Mewtwo's up+b teleport in Melee, Gardevoir turns invisible and reappears a medium distance away. Vertical gain is medium, less than Game & Watch but more than Captain Falcon/Ganon.

Down B: I had three ideas for this, tell me what you guys think.

Reflect
- Gardevoir creates a shield around herself that reflects projectiles/items, essentially what she did as a Pokeball in Brawl, but with a regularly sized shield (think Ness's projectile-absorbing shield). Can be used in mid-air and such.

Destiny Bond
- A counter-esque move, except if hit while in Destiny Bond, Gardevoir takes damage (and can be launched) by the opponent's attack. The opponent takes an amount of damage equal to what was inflicted on Gardevoir and suffers knockback/launching if % is high enough. Essentially a desperate revenge move.

Calm Mind
- Gardevoir calms herself and heightens her psychic powers, making her attacks 1.25x stronger for 15 seconds. This move takes 2 seconds to be used, and Gardevoir can be interrupted while attempting to use it. This move is similar to the Wii Fit Trainer's new move that makes her attacks stronger for a short time.

Grab: Psychic
- Gardevoir lifts the opponent using Psychic. Hitting left/right/down will make her slam the opponent on the ground (single-hit, can launch) in the respective direction and release them, hitting up will make her throw the opponent in the air.

*I had two ideas for her Final Smash as well, not sure which one I'd prefer. Thoughts?

Final Smash 1: Mega-Gardevoir + Dazzling Gleam
- Gardevoir undergoes Mega Evolution and becomes Mega Gardevoir for 12 seconds, making her attacks 1.5x stronger. Once 12 seconds pass, Mega Gardevoir uses Dazzling Gleam to damage opponents within a wide vicinity of her (range should be about the same as Luigi's Negative Space from Brawl). Dazzling Gleam hits multiple times and launches at the end, should do a moderate (~50%) amount of damage to those caught in its way. Following that, Gardevoir reverts to normal form. Dazzling Gleam can be activated before the 10 seconds by pressing special-neutral (B-neutral) again, although this reverts Gardevoir to normal form as well. To avoid being overly cheap, Dazzling Gleam won't guarantee a kill unless the opponent is at a relatively high %.

Final Smash 2: Mega-Gardevoir + Moonblast
- Unlike the other Final Smash, this move is a single fluid animation. Upon activation, Gardevoir undergoes Mega-Evolution and becomes Mega Gardevoir. She then gathers energy from the moon and unleashes an extremely powerful Moonblast (new Fairy-type move in Pokemon X/Y) that rapidly flies forward and detonates upon contact with an enemy/wall, creating a massive explosion that sends anyone caught in the blast flying (severe launching power). Should do a heavy amount of damage to anyone caught in the blast (~75% if directly hit by Moonblast, 50% if caught in the explosion). Gardevoir then reverts to normal form. This move is intended to be much more deadly than Dazzling Gleam in the sense that Dazzling Gleam doesn't launch as powerfully as Moonblast. It's like the difference between getting hit by Marth's final smash and being hit by Link's final smash: One is near-guaranteed death, and the other will only kill if your damage% is high enough.

So, what do you guys think?

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Hey look a Gardevoir thread.
Well, probably Gardevoir got confirmed for pokeball Pokemon again when she was show with all the other pokeball Pokemon in the Greninja trailer. Sad thing (maybe she even appeared in a pic already and I dont remember it). But yeah, probably not gonna happen...

But wait! Since the theory of every Pokemon on the Greninja trailer will be pokeball Pokemon is still, just a theory, I'm gonna take some time to mention why Gardevoir has powerful points in favor of getting an "upgrade" to full character:

-Strong represent of the new fairy type (at least she is a better fairy than Jigglypuff).
-Mega evolution gave her lots of relevance in Pokemon XY (and probably a final smash if she makes it in).
-Main Pokemon of the champion in XY (you could say Mega Gardevoir is Pokemon XY's final boss).
-Pretty popular and fans from both the good kind and the bad kind (yeah, never a good idea to google Gardevoir).
-My favorite point. A moveset that will separate her in gameplay from the other playable Pokemon. Pikachu and Charizard have beast like moves and attack with elements, headbutts, tails, etc. Greninja and Lucario use some sort of a martial art. Gardevoir will probably be a graceful psychic fighter with a flair of a fairy theme. Very hard to explain fairy attacks; mostly pink dust, winds, beams, etc.

On to another list. Why Gardevoir probably wont make it in. Besides the Greninja trailer theory:
-With 4 Pokemon on the game already. Extra Pokemon will cause the reaction of people "Smash Bros? More like Poke Bros. Amirite?".
-Mewtwo can cover the psychic Pokemon fighter slot and is a lot more popular than Gardevoir at the moment. He also has not only one, but two mega evolutions. The only other Pokemon with two megas being Charizard.
-Jigglypuff can cover the fairy Pokemon fighter. Not as good Gardevoir would, but still.
-Other strong candidates for a Pokemon slot like a grass starter like Sceptile.

TL;DR: Gardevoir would be a very viable fighter. But almost deconfirmed in the Greninja trailer like many others. Still has a small chance though.
As for @ Maedhros Maedhros moveset. I like it except for the Thunder Punch attacks. Unless you can make a graceful punching. Gardevoir needs to feel like a ballet in all of her moves IMO.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
If Gardevoirdoesn't become playable I'll at least be happy with a Gardevoir color for Rosalina which should be pretty easy.

andimidna

Smash Master
Ah, I supported Gardevoir. (she's actually my favorite Pokemon)
But it looks like she'll be a Pokeball again...
Well, fingers crossed that they gave her Pokeball 2 possible options: her old protection move, and mega evolving and blasting **** up.

It would make for a neat surprise.
"Oh, it's just Gardevoir, here to walk around the stage in a bubble..." BAM! MEGAEVOLVEMOONBLAST!

It would be somewhat like 2 pokeballs in one (not 2 attacking, but programming-wise)... so I can see why it wouldn't happen, but I think they should at least change her up a bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom