• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

about shield dropping...

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
Im just a noob but I think everyone should learn how to shield drop. and i think eventually people will realize how good it is
i've only tried it for 1 day and i can do it like 35-50% of the time. i think the pros should be able to learn it pretty easily

for a character like falcon, it's probably the best option OOS on a platform, and if u shield drop Uair, you can even combo from there.

if you are getting utilted by marth, u can shield drop punish every time

if everyone learn shield dropping i think marth under platform becomes extremely vulnerable if he tries to utilt ur shield.

even for fox and falco, shield drop shine is faster than shine OOS (pretty sure, correct me if i'm wrong)

this move just seems to completely solidify various character's platform games
(makes platform camping even stronger?)

any thoughts on this?

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
one of these days, i'll play a day strictly devoted to figuring out a shield dropping timing/method that i can really get behind

so far, i'm just working with just tilting down with proper timing and can do it fairly consistently just getting the drop. getting the uair afterwards is a bit finnicky for me though and i can't hit the l-cancel after dropping from a short platform.

it's another option for falcon from a platform. he has a lot that actually aren't bad in terms of mixup timing/spacing and whatnot. WD OOS off the platform and jump -> drop OOS are both fairly solid alternatives that mixup how to get off a platform. in terms of potential, i dunno, people are indeed working on it, but i haven't seen much unexpected use from it.

JPeGImage

Smash Ace
if you could punish a marth utilt with and uair/knee with it everytime, I dont see how it isnt imperative to learn. . .at least for that MU (and vs samus utilt, for that mattter)

though I havent been connected with the community for several months, aside from going to koc2, so maybe there's a better option?

would be great to have a basic "HowTo" video/post about it (assuming there isnt already a video/post somewhere out there). Whenever I try it, I always end up spotdodging

gravy

Smash Ace
Yah I basically came to the same conclusion about four months. The good news is that I'm really good at shield dropping now. So practice definitely does make perfect.

Engo

Smash Ace
I'm not a falcon player. I play fox but I'm really interested in learning shiel dropping properly. I'm already quite comfortable using it to navigate through plat forms in terms of movement. However, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to do on hit. Do you hold the button during shieldstun and the drop is buffered? Or do you have to do it as soon as the shield stun is over?

If anyone could say how they go about shield dropping, specifically once getting hit on shield, that would be really helpful because it's the type of shield dropping that seems incredibly useful.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
I'm not a falcon player. I play fox but I'm really interested in learning shiel dropping properly. I'm already quite comfortable using it to navigate through plat forms in terms of movement. However, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how to do on hit. Do you hold the button during shieldstun and the drop is buffered? Or do you have to do it as soon as the shield stun is over?

If anyone could say how they go about shield dropping, specifically once getting hit on shield, that would be really helpful because it's the type of shield dropping that seems incredibly useful.

I've heard multiple things. IIRC there is a 3 frame buffer for rolling and jumping with the controls stick from your shield so maybe the same goes for shield dropping.

I wouldn't think you can buffer it though because that'd be super gay.

Pengie

Smash Lord
I can shield drop pretty consistently on hit I think and I think the most reliable way that I've found is the rolling method; that is to say, as soon as the opponent hits your shield you roll the control stick from back/forward to down-back/down-forward without pressing the control stick fully during the motion. I've heard that you can do it by just hitting straight down on the control stick during block stun but I only know of like 2 people that use that method for shield dropping that can do it consistently.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
i know you can fall through a platform and get a hitbox out on both stomp and knee if you start them soon enough & don't fastfall
I wanna see some falcons implement shield drop into that
Wait, do you mean drop -> knee/stomp, so you'd hit ur opponent, if he's on top of the platform?

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
No, like, you can fall through a platform and start a dair or knee, and if you don't fastfall the hitbox comes out just before you land. I think on every stage but ps/ys, but it might work there too. Seeing as it works with normal platform dropping it should work with shield dropping.
I implement it because the stomp hitbox goes deep into the ground, which lets you get some sick shield stabs. stomping like that is a new ness trick mofo showed me. When done with the knee, if you hit the l cancel you get the frame advantage-ish knee, since it comes out so late, so you can do some cool pressure setups from there, too.

To my knowledge you can't drop through a platform while doing knee or stomp and hit an opponent on the platform. However, you can connect those moves by shorthopping from below the platform, or you can drop and uair, but you probably know that.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
Yeah okay, I was a little confused there :p

You can drop/sdrop > knee on both ys and ps.
I'm pretty sure you can't drop/sdrop > stomp on anything but bf, dl and fod when the plats are high enough.

Maybe you can do it from the edge of ys, since there is more distance there.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
I'm mad I can't shield drop on my new controller...(well shai drop)...I could do it fine on my old one lol it's actually super frustrating
Yes, one thing about shield dropping is that it is done slightly different on different controllers depending on how loose your control stick is.

Dan -Zodiac-

Smash Apprentice
could anyone fill me in on the numbers as far as punishing marth utilt via shield drop? (with lets just say knee.) not sure on the frame tightness to pull it off

JeezImSoBored

Smash Apprentice
well shield takes 1 frame and shiled drop takes another, so thats 2 frames. Then you just need to add in number of frames for aerial. data for marth's utilt : Total: 39
Hit: 6-12
IASA: 32

i'd say it should work most of the time with almost any aerial

Dan -Zodiac-

Smash Apprentice
you are in the air on frame 2 of the drop? sick. also still wondering about the shield stun, marth data thread doesnt include that.

Top Bottom