• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

According to my brother, Edgegaurding:cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
Recently, I learned about the great awesomeness that is edgegaurding. Hoewever, When I tried it out while playing my brother, he said it was "cheap and stupid."

Okay: Let me get this straight: I PLAY BRAWL WITH MY BROTHER AND HIS 3 FRIENDS. MY BROTHER IS BETTER THAN I AM, AS ARE TWO OF HIS FRIENDS. I AM 13, WHILE ALL OF MY BROTHERS FRIENDS ARE 19-20 YEAR OLD, SO DONT PULL THAT "YOUR BROTHER IS A STUPID 7-YEAR-OLD SCRUB WHO CANT PLAY" BULLCRAP.

Sorry, I knew someone was going to do that, so I got it out the way first.

So, my brother and his friends think that edgegaurding is cheap, because it "Doesn't let the opponent get back on the stage.",and "It's overall done by people who can't play." They call me a "cheap *******" if I do it to them, and usually gang up on me if I do it to one them. As you might expect, they think ledgehogging is super cheap too, because "the opponent cant recover".

They don't belive in tiers, because "any character is good if you put time into them;" Then again, we play with items on, partially screwing up the tiers, but even without items, they still kick my a** with lower tiers like Samus, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, and Zelda (One of my brother's friends is a GOD with Zelda).

Um....this thread doesn't really have a point...but, oh well.

AND DONT CALL MY BROTHER A "STUPID SCRUB" OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, BECAUSE HE IS NOT ONE, HE IS BETTER THAN ME!!!!

-Chagen46

D. Disciple

Smash Master
QQ = Cry.

Your brother is a 19 year old scrub then lol. Nah, but just keep gaying him with edgeguarding, eventually he'll learn. He'll learn and if he doesn't, you have permission to call him a smash scrub.

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
QQ = Cry.

Your brother is a 19 year old scrub then lol. Nah, but just keep gaying him with edgeguarding, eventually he'll learn. He'll learn and if he doesn't, you have permission to call him a smash scrub.
Yeah, I guess I should. But, since they gang up on me if I edgeguard, It's difficult to live.

However, sometimes they accidentally ledgehog each other.:laugh:

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
take advantage of anything within the rules to allow yourself a win

also, why is this in tactical?

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
It's not cheap.
Edgeguarding effectively actually takes skill to do.
If your brother still complains about it, tell him to cry moar, suck less, or pick a character who can't be edgeguarded.

Alopex

Smash Ace
Zelda is not low tier, that guy SHOULD be a god with her - she's amazing.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Also tell him that if that wasnt ment to be part of the game, then Mario's Fair and Ganon's Dair etc.... would be pointless.
If they gang up on you, be Meta and show them how "cheap" you really can be lol

K 2

Smash Lord
Yeah, I guess I should. But, since they gang up on me if I edgeguard, It's difficult to live.

However, sometimes they accidentally ledgehog each other.:laugh:
lolz. That reminds me of my friend. He isn't that good, but he has the most amazing edgeguard, all of which are on accident. =P

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
If you beat him via edgeguarding, how can he be better than you?

I have never beat through edgeguarding. I tries it a few times, they called me cheap, and now I dont do it anymore.

Which gives him the ability to **** me horribly.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Oh... Well tell your bro it isn't exactly cheap. There are far worse things that can happen in a match. Oh well, if
says edge guarding is cheap then thats his business. Maybe you should show him online matches.

Denzi

Smash Master
Also tell him that if that wasnt ment to be part of the game, then Mario's Fair and Ganon's Dair etc.... would be pointless.
If they gang up on you, be Meta and show them how "cheap" you really can be lol
This is your answer.

Also, you could just try saying "No Johns."

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Ledge camp with mk.

There is no reason not to win then. Even if all of them gang up on you.
Besides, if they're as scrubby as they sound, they'll attack each other trying to attack you on the edge.

GofG

Smash Champion
Then tell your brother to read it. After reading it, there is no way to come to the conclusion that edge guarding is cheap.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
If you want to show him what cheap really is....

1. IDC of course. To demonstrate what really is cheap.
2. Sonic (Or Pit, I guess) on New Pork city.
3. Sonic stalling underneath a stage.

Seriously. Demonstrate the real definition of cheap and they should stop complaining about your edgeguarding.

Mortimer

Smash Apprentice
Intentional edgeguarding is definitely a cheap kill, since it's indirect rather than directly due to any attack. Taking advantage of it can obviously make the game less fun if you're not taking it seriously. That's not to say that you shouldn't ever do cheap kills. If you're in a serious match, or practicing for a serious match, you need to learn to use all the cheap tricks you can figure out.

Do you play in tournaments, or plan to play in tournaments? If you do, you need to get practice in using and fighting against edgeguarding, and maybe you can convince him with that argument.

Does he play in tournaments? If not, then he's playing for fun. Not a scrub. If neither of you are playing seriously, I'd suggest that you just play by his rules, since without him and his friends you have no game.

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
MUST OBJECT.
your brother is a scrub according the guide to the scrub.
the guide to the scrub says that a scrub has his own mindset of rules which do not allow him to play the real game and do what he needs to, of course, to win.
if you tell him that he is a scrub and that he should do what he needs to, just to win, he will respond with "it's not fun". from there, proceed to edgeguard him as much as possible and rub it in his face
you, of course, are not a scrub because you are willing to do whatever you need to do to win. your brother being better than you doesn't make you a scrub and him not.

/thread

JrdnS

Smash Ace
i really just want to r*pe your bro in brawl then after hes done whining about that. i'll put in melee and waveshine him off the stage to a shine spike him just to hear him b***h some more.

GofG

Smash Champion
i really just want to r*pe your bro in brawl then after hes done whining about. i'll put in melee and waveshine him off the stage to a shine spike him jut to hear him b***h some more.
You should get that checked by a doctor.

Delta_BP26

Smash Ace
You should get that checked by a doctor.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Also, how to counter this problem? Keep doing it and rub it in his face until he eventually starts to do it as well. If he never does, well, then he's a scrub by the Sirlin definition.

Sphyra

Smash Apprentice
Intentional edgeguarding is definitely a cheap kill, since it's indirect rather than directly due to any attack. Taking advantage of it can obviously make the game less fun if you're not taking it seriously. That's not to say that you shouldn't ever do cheap kills. If you're in a serious match, or practicing for a serious match, you need to learn to use all the cheap tricks you can figure out.
It's definitely not cheap. It's called momentum and in it's in every other fighters and most games in general.

When you knock someone off the stage you gain an advantage over your opponent. This is you being rewarded for playing well (generally), and your opponent being put in a tough spot for making a mistake. He now has to face the odds against him to reestablish a neutral situation. Throwing away a legitimate tactical advantage over some false pretense of honor or other bull**** like that is totally ridiculous.

The people who call tactics like this cheap are people who clearly don't understand the game. They're not good, and OP's brother isn't good. I honestly never had any fun playing a game I don't understand so anyone running the "for fun" argument can shove it up their ***.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Edge Guarding is slightly cheap, Ledgehogging is very cheap.
Edge Guarding is a tactic in this game that has to be accepted because part of EGing is SPIKING.
Yeah, spikes, duh!

Anyways, it all depends on how badly you want to win. If you wanna win really bad then do whatever cheap **** you want, bottom line.

Luigi player

Smash Master
lol, edgeguarding is part of the game. You even see it in the how to play video.

And it is not cheap, LOL.

He is a scrub, now let him come to my house and kick my *** xD I'm so ****ing scared.

homicidalrapist

Smash Apprentice
Ledge guarding is 100% NOT CHEAP!! There's a reason why the developers excess invincibility frames on the ledge grab. There's a reason why characters like Sheik and Sonic have low attack power, but have good edge guarding capabilities. There's a reason why there are different levels of recovery.

Your bro needs to accept the fact that it's a part of the game and anyone who disagrees is playing the wrong game.

PaintedGhost

Smash Journeyman
This thread made me lol.

There is one thing to do. Edgeguard. Edgeguard as often as humanly possible and make your brother hate you for it.

Edit: I'm not sure but doesn't the how to play video tell you not to let people back onto the stage? lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom