• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Achieving Greatness* Current topic: Becoming a leader!

Wafflekingz

Smash Cadet
I think a lot of great stuff has been said so far as well as some not so great stuff. For everyone here who has their goals for what they want in life I have one thing to say.

Make sure you are doing what you are doing because its what you want to do. Think about how fast has your life has gone by, very fast, life blows by. Do what you want because this is all there is, and one day you will wake up and have barely any life left to live. **** what people think of you and what people tell you about how difficult life is and how there are so few opportunities. When **** gets hard once you are on your path to succeed, you figure it out and you work through it. As long as you know that what you want in life is good and you aren't making other people's lives worse, then do it.

Don't look for other people for validation and approval, look for your own, make yourself happy. If you spend your life trying to live up to other peoples standards you are never going to be happy because you cant control other people, you can only control yourself, be in control of your happiness. If you spend your life reacting to other peoples standards you are not in control of your happiness. Even if you live up to them, you are still going to come up short with happiness because there is so much more, you can decide what you want. You are allowed to dictate you own identity and value what you want in life, believe in what you love and own who you are.

So yes meta-kirby I will live in my little fantasy world and do what I want because I believe in myself and you my friend, can live in your fantasy world where life isn't easy and there are limitations because of it. Guess what? Both of our lives are REAL, they are real to us. Your concept of life, your map of reality is real to you and mine is real to me. Guess what?!? You can change that map though to be whatever you want and your life changes because of it. I have changed mine and will continue to do so to get what I want in life and anyone can do the same. I choose to live in "True ignorance" and "shoo away nay sayers" like a "superior being", that is my reality, that is my life and I love it.

the point to all of this is that with the immense amount of work it takes to achieve your goals, most people wont do this unless they have the undying faith and belief that there goals are not only possible but that they individually can achieve them. This is what Wafflz and Jesiah mean. You MUST have that faith and undying and unshakeable belief in your dreams and goals in order to find the motivation to not only plan your entire way from start to end but to actually put your plan into action and do the work necessary to achieve said goals. you may have goals but unless you have that belief, it will be completely fruitless. thats what jesiah is talking about and that is what leadership really means
great stuff you and JesiahTEG are definitely going down paths of success and your amazing attitudes and faith will give you the drive and determination to get what you want in life and be happy and no one can stop you.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, I can't say I have a complete grasp on what you're goals are, but from what you've said, you want to succeed at putting most of your time towards those 4 things. That's a goal easily achievable Varuna, since all you are doing is managing your time between those things.

What did you mean by in the long run though? You didn't mention work or school at all. Are you doing either of those things?
the omission of school and work was intentional but when I said that this is counting in the long run I meant that things like school and work are acceptable so long as in the long run I end up with more time for the 4 things previously mentioned.

Personally im thinking a bachelors degree in anything, then cheap to medium level apartments with as koosh of a job I can get.

Lots of people look down on goals like this when I mention them if not call them non-goals alltogether, but to me these goals make the most sense.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Sorry, I already pulled one WoT for today so i ll keep this one short.

the best way to go about spending the majority of your time with friends, family, games, books, and music, since you are obviously going to need a job to pay your bills, is to get a job or go to school for something that is ALREADY IN one of those 4 fields.

Based on the little that I know of you, id say somehting like managing a gamestop would be right up your alley.

but basically you have to figure out what your goals are, quantify them. figure out how to achieve them. and make plans to get there, because if you dont know where youre going, youll have no idea on how to get there

Wafflekingz

Smash Cadet
Sorry, I already pulled one WoT for today so i ll keep this one short.

the best way to go about spending the majority of your time with friends, family, games, books, and music, since you are obviously going to need a job to pay your bills, is to get a job or go to school for something that is ALREADY IN one of those 4 fields.

Based on the little that I know of you, id say somehting like managing a gamestop would be right up your alley.

but basically you have to figure out what your goals are, quantify them. figure out how to achieve them. and make plans to get there, because if you dont know where youre going, youll have no idea on how to get there
Failing to plan is planning to fail ;-P

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Good job guys. Update as well.

Due to a number of reasons, including my curiosity lol, I decided to get a sales position at T-Mobile today. One of my big factors was, I will be in a completely new environment with new people to work with, and the chance to meet new people every day. This will be a great place to develop even more leadership skills, right?

I'll update the thread with my experiences each day in regards to leadership and what's happening at work. I definitely encourage everyone else to make use of this information in their everyday lives, and if you want come back and share your results with us.

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Ok, so I figure I'm going to give this a shot, although I may be missing the intent of this thread in doing so.

In short, because I know this will probably be a lengthy post before I know it, I want to become "good enough" in Brawl.

Now, defining "good enough" is a bit tricky, and I really don't want to delve into the competitive scene unless I have to. Ultimately, I just want to bring myself to the point where I am at least even with a friend of mine. We've only really had contact through online Brawl, hence my reason for not delving into the competitive scene: it's just overkill to bring that online, plus it leads to confusion between the two locations. This brings up the first obstacle on the journey: people. I would LOVE to hear of how someone made it big solely on computers alone, but unless I'm mistaken, contact with other people is necessary to improve. And my luck with people has not been great due to the second obstacle.

That obstacle is Sirlin's "playing to win" philosophy. I have not yet had a clear answer on this, but DOES playing to win have limits? If not, then I clearly understand why I'm being discouraged from participating in the competitive scene near my college: I am an obstacle to the other competitors winning, and so I should naturally expect people to remove me by any legal means possible. This also would mean my journey ends here, as the word "help" would be taboo in such an environment.

At the moment, I'm not at college, but at my parents' house for summer break. I have no access to WiFi. I know of two people nearby that are involved in the competitive scene, but contacting them has proven to be difficult. Whether they are genuinely busy or want nothing to do with me (it's something of a David-and-Goliath situation: I have no experience in the tournament scene and they have tons of it and are in the SBR) I have no idea, but it's been irritating. My record with people in general hasn't been great (I HAVE been known to stutter, and I generally articulate my ideas horribly in speaking), so I feel this will be an uphill battle.

So, where should I start? Place rocks in my mouth (was there not a story about a philosopher that did that?), or starting snooping around for telephone numbers and addresses? I've exhausted the number of possibilities I'm aware of, and the one option that I have continuously chosen again and again that has not done anything to help ease my mind is "ignore it, play another game, and maybe it'll go away".

Something that may be important to know: I do not have a competitive background at all. I'll hold doors open for a number of people until I see that it's clear that I'm not offending anyone by moving on and letting it close behind me. I will often land at the end of lines more than once. The Smash series is my first contact with a multiplayer game that will allow people to go head-to-head. I don't think I need to provide any more examples for you to get the picture.

Top Bottom