• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ACL Expression of Interest!

GeeMon

Smash Rookie
Hey ya'll, this thread is to get an expression of interest for Melee to be a part of ACL Sydney for a two day LAN running from July 19-20.
For those of you who don't know who ACL are:
ACL (Australian Cyber League) is the largest LAN circuit in Australia with games such as LoL, SC2 and CoD active. They typically have three/four major events a year or 'season'.
http://www.aclpro.com.au/

Here are the main reasons why I think it's a great idea for the scene to strive to be a part of the ACL circuit:

Transition from underground scene to mainstream scene - ACL is the premier Esports circuit in Australia and this is the chance for melee to get more recognition from the current market of competitive games as well as with sponsors (as they attend these events)

Set national events that promotes interstate travel - Since joining the Melee community, one thing that's really shocked me is the lack of national events. I know there is BAM, but after coming from a title under ACL, I'm used to three national events and a final event to decide who is the national champion of a game for a calender year. The competitiveness and prestige a national circuit provides grows the scene and raises the bar for quality of competition.

Increased Popularity - I used to play CoD on the circuit and once SC2 + LoL came onto the scene all of the CoD guys would ask to learn about SC2, speak to the pros and watch the games. A lot of people I played with even made the transition into SC2. Being able to showcase Melee and letting the other communities see the hype we can bring will only benefit the smash community and give chance for even more growth.

Sponsors - I can't guarantee anything but any game that has ever been on the proper circuit has always had the top tier of players sponsored. For Call of Duty (4 people per team) multiple teams were sponsored for flights/entry/accommodation. This is only for one player. Of course this varies from how successful you are, but if the turnout is good for ACL events, organisations want to be able to say they have the top players.

Production Value: ACL has been continually growing since it's launch and the production values of the circuit are higher than even before. With streaming and stages set in place it raises the prestige of the competition as well as makes it easier to showcase our great game to the world.

Now all of this I can't guarantee will happen in the first event. However, I have experienced what good ACL can do to a community. From playing on a purely online community on console CoD, ACL picked it up and after continually growing attendance we managed to have fully sponsored teams raise their standard and even come 5th recently in the world championships.

I believe Melee can follow a similar path. The attendance of Brisbane events with 2 weeks notice and no prize money manages to pull around 20 players and that's growing. With set nationals I believe we could get a really strong showing and have a good relationship with ACL.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm still trying to get word from Vanzr on what sort of attendance he'd need for Smash to be considered a success but for the time being if people could write down their name, smash handle and email address that'd be a great start.

SC2 in Brisbane 2013 managed to get 36 entrants and that was considered a success from memory. Again, I will try and get more information but just put your information down in a post and I might make a compiled document for everyone to see.

The event would last for two days and entry fee is normally around 40-50. This is for venue hire as well as a prize pool. That total is for BOTH days.

G$ out!

Last edited:

SethT

Smash Ace
Just gonna copy paste what I put into the facebook post inregards to paid flights and accom.

Problem is though that the sponsors of ACL are generally these big companies (Riot) that wish to hold events in the Australian region and pay ACL to do it. Plantronics as a sponsor also has no vested interest in the melee scene so throwing money at flights / accom is pointless for them. So unless we do a USA and our melee players start becoming these big advertising personalities that can attract the attention of thousands of people, I don't think ACL will throw the money at us for it. A decent prizepool wouldn't be out of the question but that comes from the entry fees generally.

That being said, just getting on the ACL circuit itself would be great exposure for the scene and a decent venue to play at.

Name: Seth
Email: Seth.touchette@gmail.com
Handle: aces_

Last edited:

GeeMon

Smash Rookie
Just gonna copy paste what I put into the facebook post inregards to paid flights and accom.

Problem is though that the sponsors of ACL are generally these big companies (Riot) that wish to hold events in the Australian region and pay ACL to do it. Plantronics as a sponsor also has no vested interest in the melee scene so throwing money at flights / accom is pointless for them. So unless we do a USA and our melee players start becoming these big advertising personalities that can attract the attention of thousands of people, I don't think ACL will throw the money at us for it. A decent prizepool wouldn't be out of the question but that comes from the entry fees generally.

That being said, just getting on the ACL circuit itself would be great exposure for the scene and a decent venue to play at.

Name: Seth
Handle: aces_
That's true but the sponsors that I was mainly talking about are gaming organisations. I don't want this to be the main focus of joining the circuit as I can't guarantee anything but with games like FIFA that were on the circuit all the top players have been sponsored by orgs like Frenetic Array, SQL and Immunity. I think it is a realistic ambition if Smash were to be on the circuit. So long as the numbers are strong.

Splice

Smash Hero
We had smash tournaments at 1 or 2 ACL's a few years ago (In Melbourne and I think in Sydney too!). Not sure what happened / why that stopped?

Name: Billy
email: spliceratops@hotmail.com
Handle: Splice

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
Questions.
1.what would be entry fee?
2. where is ACL Sydney this year? UNSW?
3. If we ran smash do we need to keep it to Melee, or can we run other events alongside Melee (Brawl, Project M)

We are currently looking into holding a Sydney major smash event at the end of June for our scene. If it works out better we could postpone it and hold it at ACL.
Otherwise, we have recently had about 30 people attending our Melee/PM events, so I cant see why we wouldnt at least hold a Sydney only event at ACL. But I will have to talk with Cal more about that as he is the main TO

Splice

Smash Hero
We are currently looking into holding a Sydney major smash event at the end of June for our scene. If it works out better we could postpone it and hold it at ACL.
Otherwise, we have recently had about 30 people attending our Melee/PM events, so I cant see why we wouldnt at least hold a Sydney only event at ACL. But I will have to talk with Cal more about that as he is the main TO
Do a double treat have them within like a week of each other. I'd stay down for both personally, not sure how much your numbers might drop overall though.

Bu$

HoC
Didn't smash used to be at ACL? I played Halo at ACL lans for like 2-3 years and I'm sure smash was there a few times.
Yo!!!!! Are you Halo Tranquility?! Dude the name is BaHoO. Didn't know you played smash these days. Good stuff m8. Yeah it was there a few times.

I'm still good mates with most of the ACL Homies from back in the day. I could talk to vanzr personally and see his thoughts ect. I was actually going to make a thread similar to this but you beat me to it.

Would be hype to get smash there.

Name: Jake
E-mail: Bussell_360@hotmail.com
Tag: Bu$

Tranquility

<3 Yoshi
Yo!!!!! Are you Halo Tranquility?! Dude the name is BaHoO. Didn't know you played smash these days. Good stuff m8. Yeah it was there a few times.

I'm still good mates with most of the ACL Homies from back in the day. I could talk to vanzr personally and see his thoughts ect. I was actually going to make a thread similar to this but you beat me to it.

Would be hype to get smash there.

Name: Jake
E-mail: Bussell_360@hotmail.com
Tag: Bu$
Wow, didn't think I'd meet someone from Halo here. Haven't talked to anyone from ACL in a while. Btw forgot to put my details in last post. Also yeah I play smash now, I'm usually in the dolphin netplay chat if you wanna talk/play.

Name: Steve
E-mail: xtranguility@hotmail.com
Tag: Tranq

Last edited:

DoMo.

Smash Apprentice
Copy pasting in a follow up from what was said on facebook:

"I can guarantee you right now ACL are not going to fly out any players at their expense. I was on the iM LoL team for a very long time and our flights + accom were never EVER covered by the organisations hosting events. That is what our sponsors were for.
As Seth said being on the circuit itself is a fantastic opportunity to gain more exposure and start bringing in new players who are interested in the competitive side of the game. Prize pool will more than likely be a generation of entry fee + potentially a little extra pending on sponsor interest for the game."

I read what you said before, and you are correct, granted that stream numbers are consistent and numbers grow as a result of each event.

Name: Ross
E-mail: rossjones.iM@gmail.com
Tag: DoMo

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
Gordon
gordo1229@gmail.com
Gords

Questions,
1. where is ACL Sydney this year? UNSW?
2. If we ran smash do we need to keep it to Melee, or can we run other events alongside Melee (Brawl, Project M)?
3. Will it be left up to one of our community members to run the smash events under our rules or will ACL be the leading TOs ?

can someone post these details and questions in the relevant documents, for somereason it wont let me edit anything in OneDrive

Top Bottom