• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ACL FINALS - Brisbane - Sept. 24th/25th- $500+ Brawl Pot

Confirm Attendance

• Total voters

CaLibUr_1337

Smash Lord
So I thought I should finally check this thread out. I'll be on holidays so I've got nothing better to do.

zApollo

Smash Ace
Let me check if this is in my mid semester break, if so then I am most definitely coming.

First dibs on housing with Adept, of course xD

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Opinions on the ruleset?

I'd like to keep it consistent with other ACL's if possible, so I'm likely to run the NSW ruleset for ACL.

Rulesets:

Stage striking will be the main mode of neutral stage selection, however, if both players agree, random neutral can be selected with one ban per player.

BRAWL:
No stupidity ie infinite cape, infinite cg past 300% etc etc. Usual junk.

Starters:
Battlefield
Yoshi's
Smashville
PS1
Lylat

CPs:
Final Destination
Delfino Plaza
Frigate
Pictochat
Brinstar

MELEE:
Wobbling banned. Boomdino.
Tedeth's awesome rule of win: Anyone playing Sheik must wear the dunce hat throughout the entirety of their games. Failure to wear the dunce hat is an instat DQ.

Starters
Final Destination
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Pokemon Stadium
Kongo Jungle 64
Obviously wanting to flesh this out a bit, but yeah.
First of all, does anybody disagree with changing the ruleset? Redact, what light can you shed?

I also think that Ted's awesome rule of win should extend to every character in top/high.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
That sounds fine enough to me. I'm just not sure if there was any kind of push to keep things consistent between ACLs.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
But I want to hump the ledge :((((

Lol nah I don't really care this time, as long as there's at least a months notice with the ruleset and such. Just don't want another Bull**** event to happen again at ACL Sydney when nobody decides to me there's a lgl after about a minute of me planning against Scott.-_- I don't like approaching galcb because its impossible with rob =P

:phone:

Remastered

Smash Lord
Maybe run the LD ruleset Vyse. I took out the silly doubles MK rule, and it is the best and most well rounded ruleset in Aus atm.

I understand the suffering of some characters with the lgl, but the LD ruleset allows 50 grabs for any character other than MK. More than enough to hump dat edge lol.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
think this major should trial the unity ruleset.
I wouldn't mind going this path either to be honest. I like the idea of the unity ruleset beyond what rules it is actually composed of.

I think people need to decide between:

Luigi's Dungeon:

QUEENSLAND BRAWL MODIFIED RULESET

General Gameplay Rules
1. 3 Stocks
2. 8 Minute Time Limit
3. Items set to "Off" and "None"
4. All infinites are legal.
5. Meta Knight's Infinite Cape Glitch and Extended Cape Glitch are banned.
6. There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 35 for Metaknight, and 50 for all other characters. (If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored).
7. The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
8. Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
9. If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:​
o In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).
o If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is introduced for all characters.​

Modified Rules for Doubles:
1. Team Attack is set to "On"
2. Life stealing is allowed.
3. In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
4. In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can’t determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, than whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
5. If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.​

Set Procedure:
1. Player Priority is determined if it can’t be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-2-1 (Team 1 strikes a stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The Team that won the previous match may announce one "Stage Ban" if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11. The next match is played.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.​

Determining Player Priority:
If there is a dispute in controller port selection or initiating Stage Strike use the following method:
Teams agree to Rock-Paper-Scissors, otherwise it is determined with a coin-flip. The winning Team shall either elect to have first choice in port selection or first choice in Stage Strike. Whichever Team does not receive first choice in Port Selection will be compensated with first choice in Stage Striking.
Note: In Doubles, port selection is ordered 1-2-2-1 fashion (with Team-1 having first choice in controller slot select, Team-2 having both second and third choice, and the final slot going to Team-1).​

Stage List:

Starters:
o Battlefield
o Lylat Cruise
o Pokemon Stadium 1
o Smashville
o Yoshi's Island (Brawl)​

Counterpicks:
o Battleship Halberd
o Brinstar
o Castle Siege
o Delfino Plaza
o Final Destination
o Frigate Orpheon​

Conduct Rules:
1. BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
2. Pausing may be turned off by request and the request cannot be denied. In the event pause is on and is pressed, whether by accident or on purpose, the result will be a loss of the current stock for the perpetrating player.
3. Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
4. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
5. Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
6. No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
7. Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
8. DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
9. The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
10. Regarding textures and other game hacks:​
o Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
o The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
o Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.​

Reloaded:

Starters | Counterpicks
Battlefield|Battleship Halberd
Final Destination|Brinstar
Lylat Cruise|Castle Siege
Smashville|Delfino Plaza
|Pokemon Stadium 1
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)|Frigate Orpheon

General Rules
  1. Items set to "off" and ratio set to "none".
  2. Stock and Time are set to 3 stock and 8 minutes respectively.
  3. If time runs out, the winner is determined by stock, and then by percentage.
  4. If both stock and percentage are identical, or a game ends with both players being KO'd simultaneously, then a tiebreaker is played. A tiebreakers is a 1 stock, 3 minute match with the same characters and the same stage.
  5. All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 should be played out for Winners, Loser &, Grand "final" matches. i.e. the finals' matches).
  6. Extending Meta Knight's Dimensional Cape is banned.
  7. A ledge grab limit of 30 applies to mk. This rule applies if there has been a time out.
  8. Stalling is banned. Stalling involves:
    • Any action that deliberately avoids all conflict as to make the game unplayable. Running from an opponent to get to a better position is not considered stalling.
  9. Controller ports are determined by Rock-Paper-Scissors if there is a dispute.
  10. Any action that prevents the game from continuing results in a forfeiture of the match for the offender.
  11. Some interactions (for example, interrupting a throw with a wind attack) can cause one character to become frozen until being hit. If this happens, the free character is expected to capitalise on this in a timely manner; a failure to do so is considered stalling.
  12. Any stage is selectable at any time if BOTH players agree. This means if both players wish to skip the stage striking procedure and play on Final Destination or Hyrule Temple, they may. Don't expect many serious players to go along with this, however.
  13. Modified Dave's Stupid Rule (MDSR): No player can counter-pick a stage he or she has previously won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
  14. Gentleman's Clause: Any stage may be played on so long as both players and the tournament host agree to it, including banned stages. This can be used in tandem with the MDSR.

Additional Rules for Doubles Play
  1. Team attack is on.
  2. Sharing stocks is allowed.
  3. Controller ports are determined in a 1221 fashion.
  4. If the clock expires and the total number of stocks of each team is equal, use the sum of the final percentage of players on each team as the tiebreaker; whichever team has a lower sum wins. A player who has been eliminated has 0 stocks and 0%.
  5. Causing both characters of a team to become frozen (i.e. by interrupting a throw with a wind attack) is to be treated the same way as freezing the opponent in singles. Leaving only one of the opponents' characters frozen is legal since the teammate can work to undo the freeze.

Set Format
  1. Both players choose their characters (as well as their sub-character and costume) for the first game. A double-blind pick may be requested by either player.
  2. Players start the stage-striking procedure in order to select the first stage. The optimal procedure for striking stages is 1-2-2-1 assuming "1" is player 1 and "2" is player 2.
  3. Each player may ban a stage from the counterpick list for the match.
  4. The first game is played using the stage chosen by step 2.
  5. The loser of the previous game chooses a stage from the starter or counterpick list. No player may choose a stage they have already won on unless the other player agrees.
  6. The winner of the previous game chooses their character.
  7. The loser of the previous game chooses their character.
  8. Steps 5-7 are repeated as necessary.

Other Rules
  1. On a player's counterpick, that player may choose to redo the port selection process, with that player/team picking their port first.
  2. In team matches, it may be requested that certain characters be assigned a specific team colour in order to prevent any unnecessary confusion. For instance, Sonic, Lucario, or Falco may be requested to be assigned the blue team.
  3. In the case of a console/TV malfunction, the game will be restarted from the beginning, no matter what time it crashed (unless both players agree otherwise).
  4. After a match has been called, if a player is 3 minutes late without informing a TO beforehand, he/she will receive a warning. At 6 minutes late he/she will forfeit the entire set.. If you require more time (timing clashes with another tournament, etc) let the Tournament Organisers know (for Brawl: Apollo, Nova or Jamage). Do not expect to always be allocated additional time, however.
  5. You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

Or ACL Sydney (Above).

Or Unity:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301033

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i think a major (if this will be a major lol) is a bad time to trial the unity ruleset
because the unity ruleset appears to have been constructed by monkeys

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
We would get really slated results in an Australian that is anything but a major (by which I mean, a tournament that will be a little more diverse than QLD's usual fanfare).

And I'd rather it at ACL than say, BAM.

But I'm keen either way. Whichever people feel is more 'competitive' by Australia's definition (As opposed to 'I just got gayed by PokeStad2')

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Ewww. Unity has like 7 starters... LOL

I honestly think Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar should be banned, well at least RC. Awful stages imo that force you to fight the stage more than the opposition. But eh.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Okay, wtf at Unity's ruleset. Castle Seige is a starter?

wtf were they thinking.

Okay I vote Reloaded.

Edit: Actually all those starters are stupid. MIGHT AS WELL ADD SPEAR PILLAR.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
I just enjoy the rulesets we use here. =S Not like we have to follow what the americans choose anyway.

They changed the ruleset from last time I checked... It actually looked alright back then, but now its revolting x_x

Edit: ewww dyslexia kicked in for a sec. lol

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Spear pillar is ****.

Good stage to learn for MM's against better players.
Yer. I love the stage but it's probably the last stage they'd pick to be "neutral".

As for unity, the ruleset isn't horribly bad, but the stages are.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
After you strike with 7, you normally boil down to Sv anyway.

Im just more so looking forward to a wider cp list.

Remastered

Smash Lord
RC is not included in LD counters list.

LGL is included.

LD ruleset has the usual 5 starters (with no FD to stop Diddy and Falco Getting counters on starters)

Luigi's Dungeon ruleset is the boss.

S.D

Smash Master
Can we plz drop DK64 and PS1 to CP for Melee and bring back like RC and another stage? Having DK64 in the starter mix is just too fail and noone EVER ends up there.

emery

Smash Cadet
So, like anyone looking for a doubles partner in Brawl?

PM me because the chances of looking back in here are quite slim.

Top Bottom