• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Act 3 Clear!!: Sonic Tournament Results & Discussion Thread

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
Results have finally been posted for past ToDs, so I'll post now.

Tower of Doom 13
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=12214411#post12214411
January 16, 2011
Out of 24
1st, Da1AndOnlySonic, :sonic:

Tower of Doom 14
January 30, 2011
Out of 10

Tower of Doom 15
February 13, 2011
Out of 12

Pound V
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12227836&postcount=1
February 19-21, 2011
Out of 151
49th, Da1AndOnlySonic, :sonic:

ToD 11 I came in 4th, but can't remember how many entrants there were. If someone else knows and posts then I'll update this with that.

ToD aside, Pound V was awesome! I feel like I've learned a lot from facing other people in pools, having some friendlies, doing some MMs, watching matches, and watching both kidgoggles and speed (thanks for the tips, coaching, and support too guys :D) play as Sonic. Quite possibly the best weekend I've had in my life, and now I'm seriously considering hitting up more of the huge/well known tourneys. :D

I came so close to making it out of the 2nd round of pools. Had ADHD not sandbagged and beat doom (he 2-0ed everyone else), I would have made it to bracket. Instead I got caught up in a 3-way tie with Doom and Poltergeist. Doom beat Polt, Polt beat me, and I beat Doom, so it came down to record. Polt 7-5, Doom 7-6, me 6-6. Doesn't get much closer than that. :(

However, I'm not gonna let that get me down, there will always be next time. That aside, can't wait for the next huge tourney. So hyped! :D

Life

Smash Hero
D1AOS: /HOPE3, Pittsburgh, so we can finally figure out which region is truly the worst: Pittsburgh or SoVA. :p Nah man, I couldn't expect that, but hey, you got a taste of the top and I can tell you're hungry for more.

GJ to all three of you P5 people BTW.

___X___

Smash Lord
Went to a tourney last weekend.

I did way good!!

1st in Brawl singles.
1st in Brawl doubles.
1st in Melee doubles.
2nd in melee singles (I WAS SO CLOSE)

wooo hooo!!
I'll post the bracket... once I find it!!

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
U of C Smash
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298248
February 19th
Out of 15
7th - Kuraudo (Sonic)

My first tournament in over two months. I only lost to Arsenal and Fiji in bracket (MM'd Arsenal, lost, and MM'd Fiji, won. but he used Olimar. lol)

Got 2nd in my pool 2-0'ing everybody except Alphicans and Diminisht (who defeated me 2-1 but kept the games very close. it was all a lot of fun) All in all, it felt like one of our monthlies, and the money it costed to pay for venue and all was ridiculous. Oh well. Getting stronger and stronger the more I play!

Tesh

Smash Hero
Results have finally been posted for past ToDs, so I'll post now.

Tower of Doom 13
January 16, 2011
Out of 24

Tower of Doom 14
January 30, 2011
Out of 10

Tower of Doom 15
February 13, 2011
Out of 12

Pound V
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=12227836&postcount=1
February 19-21, 2011
Out of 151
49th, Da1AndOnlySonic, :sonic:

ToD 11 I came in 4th, but can't remember how many entrants there were. If someone else knows and posts then I'll update this with that.

ToD aside, Pound V was awesome! I feel like I've learned a lot from facing other people in pools, having some friendlies, doing some MMs, watching matches, and watching both kidgoggles and speed (thanks for the tips, coaching, and support too guys :D) play as Sonic. Quite possibly the best weekend I've had in my life, and now I'm seriously considering hitting up more of the huge/well known tourneys. :D

I came so close to making it out of the 2nd round of pools. Had ADHD not sandbagged and beat doom (he 2-0ed everyone else), I would have made it to bracket. Instead I got caught up in a 3-way tie with Doom and Poltergeist. Doom beat Polt, Polt beat me, and I beat Doom, so it came down to record. Polt 7-5, Doom 7-6, me 6-6. Doesn't get much closer than that. :(

However, I'm not gonna let that get me down, there will always be next time. That aside, can't wait for the next huge tourney. So hyped! :D

Lol ADHD manipulating brackets again? Wow, you just gotta get a mile ahead of everyone next time so the little things can't hold you back. Good stuff man.

ADHD

Smash Hero
Sorry lol, I really didn't want to screw you over because you deserved to get out, but alot of people were pressuring me to sandbag him and putting this "friend bull****" over my head. By the time I went to play you, it was already written 0-2 on the pool sheet. If I didn't let doom out, there would've been hell.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Sorry lol, I really didn't want to screw you over because you deserved to get out, but alot of people were pressuring me to sandbag him and putting this "friend bull****" over my head. By the time I went to play you, it was already written 0-2 on the pool sheet. If I didn't let doom out, there would've been hell.
Screw what the people say. :glare:

Out of curiosity, how would there have been hell if you didn't let Doom out of pools via sandbagging? Because manipulating pools when someone was legitimately deserving and that close to breaking out into the bracket is just...not cool at all.

I mean, the hell? Isn't San wrecking **** up with Ike enough?

Friendship goes RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW when stakes are high and you're competing to place. I mean seriously. If you're not gonna get sympathy from Ike, you might as well not give any back and **** his ****. lol, jokes aside though, what's done is done; even if it's a tad disappointing.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Come ooooooon. **** what people say. Just do your best and molest everyone. You're really good at it. No one deserves a free pass. "Friends" should just become better players.

That's really disappointing. I expected better from you. :(

Tesh

Smash Hero
Come ooooooon. **** what people say. Just do your best and molest everyone. You're really good at it. No one deserves a free pass. "Friends" should just become better players.

That's really disappointing. I expected better from you. :(
THIS, if you want to help your friend, you should have helped him practice to become half as amazing as you are at this game. More TOs should man up like MLG and kick you folks out for this kind of thing. How are you gonna main Diddy, do gay banana lock **** all game and then worry about your buddy feeling bad about a video game?

Also Karaudo, this isn't Mr. Doom (the Ike). This is just another MK (not that its relevant). As if picking the best character in the game isn't enough to get yourself out of pools.

Also make sure KID googlemaps knows that the only reason he was the top placing Sonic at Pound is because of ADHD and his pocket spacies.

btw, dont count on my helpin any of you *****z except for espy and cloud on anything. eff you guys.

Im am the only sonic main to make it to bracket.

speed lost in first pools
d1aos lost in second pools.
i got out. Much thanks to ADHD!!
FALCOS GTFO

D1OAS IS TOP 3 SONIC!!!!!!!!

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
... How the Hell is anybody suppose to make an objective judgement when it comes to kicking someone out of a tournament for "bracket manipulation?"

For all you know, the person could've just been on an off day or experimenting.

Just as friends and buddies should get better to win, so should the opponent. Don't blame other people for your (lack of) talent.

:093:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its not hard to make an objective judgement when they don't keep it hushed up. Just like MLG, they could have just kept it to themselves and no one had to know. Its bad for hype when people openly "let" others win. If people are all known for doing this, they should be put into the same pool so they can't screw over legit players.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
all I know is that san goes 100% full force on everybody he plays, everymatch, and I do as well. san had to play neil at P5, and my region understands that even at big tourneys you gotta play your friends sometimes. but if theyre your friends that should mean that more than anythign else, they should still be cool after the tourney. Will and atomsk are like best friends, but that didnt stop atomsk from infinite CGing will in tournament.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Wtf? Seriously wtf?

And people wonder why smash isn't taken seriously as a competitive community, why the f*** would it be PRESUMED you'd let a friend out?

If people do that again, have some integrity and tell them to **** off. That wasn't right and you know it, and the fact that it's commonplace enough to be ASSUMED is sickening.

I mean I know that people toss bones to their friends all the time, but other people assuming that sandbagging will happen and then guilting their friend into actually sandbagging, new low for our community.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Its not hard to make an objective judgement when they don't keep it hushed up. Just like MLG, they could have just kept it to themselves and no one had to know. Its bad for hype when people openly "let" others win. If people are all known for doing this, they should be put into the same pool so they can't screw over legit players.
... Well isn't that nice?

Just a shame that for people to do this kind of thing isn't new, so it isn't surprising to me to hear that crap like this happens and people get away with it.

Nothing you can do about it except... you know... not be just good enough to get screwed over, but good enough to be on the top.

There is no honor in competitive gaming.

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
Wtf? Seriously wtf?

And people wonder why smash isn't taken seriously as a competitive community, why the f*** would it be PRESUMED you'd let a friend out?

If people do that again, have some integrity and tell them to **** off. That wasn't right and you know it, and the fact that it's commonplace enough to be ASSUMED is sickening.

I mean I know that people toss bones to their friends all the time, but other people assuming that sandbagging will happen and then guilting their friend into actually sandbagging, new low you ADHD.
^This. Just don't put the whole community in this. It's primarily him for not using better judgment; He chose to sandbag.

Da1AndOnlySonic

Smash Journeyman
Wow...that's ****** up. You sandbagged because people told you to? Putting "friend bull****" over your head causes you to sandbag? I had every right to be in brackets based on my performance, yet I didn't make it out because he's your friend and gets sandbag treatment when need be? That's low...friend or not a competition is serious business and you should give it your all no matter who you face. Falling short of bracket doesn't PO me, it just lets me know that I need to step my game up. Losing my position over **** like that, however, ticks me off quite a bit.

It's in the past though, there's nothing I or anyone can do about it now. Maybe in the future you'll use better judgment and not let the "friend" card be the decision maker for your actions. As much as I would love to sit here and rage about this for some time, what would that accomplish? Nothing, so I'm not going to do that. Instead of dwelling on the past, I'm going to look to the future, which is bettering my skills so that I can't be in the position for something like this to have a chance at happening in the first place. You seemed like a cool guy from what I experienced at Pound V, and no one makes the best decisions all the time. I hope that if a situation like this ever arises again for you (or any smasher for that matter), you'll give it your all and refrain from giving spots to those who are less deserving of it.

My goal at Pound V was to at least make it out of pools, and I fell short of that goal due to something like this...smh.

Edit: Just so you know, I'm not going to hold a grudge against you or anything like that, it would accomplish nothing. Thanks for the apology too.

MegaRobMan

Smash Hero
Tornado, Dmsash, Shuttle Loop, Friendship with ADHD.

MK is broken.
this made me LOL. Not as hard as the guy whose quote in his year book was "My mom should have swallowed" but pretty hard.

A man's response
I don't know you, but I like you. You are handling this about as perfectly as you can. I'd have gone to ADHD's place and give him the ol' banana hammock. Random Wolf mains from Nebraska have your back. 60-40 wolf. <3

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I was going to come in here and rip on ADHD for doing that to my boy DsS and I don't even play Brawl, but I see he has already posted a mad respectable response. You keep doing your thing Carlos, I ain't even mad that you don't play Melee.

sonictailslink

Smash Journeyman
Henderson &amp; Downtown Express, Las Vegas, NV
Neo VegasSmash Monthlies #1
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11416
February 26th, 2011
Out of 29
Kinzer - 9th :sonic:
Tails - 17th :sonic:

*sigh*...I did horrible. This month hasn't been a good month for me. I've been depressed all month. Anyway, I played against a Toon Link and a Lucus player. I did fine in those matches and won. Then I had to play against a Peach player. I didn't know what to do since I don't play against Peach too much so I lost to him thanks to a suicide. I had no second jump when I did a ASC and I was so close ;_;. Then I had to play against a Meta Knight/Snake player. I beat his Snake, but his Meta Knight...at least I got him down to his last stock.

This tournament, I've done so many suicides. Hopefully I'll do better next time. I really do need help. I only saved two video of myself in singles amateur bracket and most in teams with Kinzer. He'll send me the replays so I can record and upload them during the week. I'll post them as soon as they are all up.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Neo VegasSmash Monthlies #1
http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=11416
February 26th, 2011
Out of 29
Kinzer - 9th :sonic:
Tails - 17th :sonic:

*sigh*...I did horrible. This month hasn't been a good month for me. I've been depressed all month. Anyway, I played against a Toon Link and a Lucus player. I did fine in those matches and won. Then I had to play against a Peach player. I didn't know what to do since I don't play against Peach too much so I lost to him thanks to a suicide. I had no second jump when I did a ASC and I was so close ;_;. Then I had to play against a Meta Knight/Snake player. I beat his Snake, but his Meta Knight...at least I got him down to his last stock.

This tournament, I've done so many suicides. Hopefully I'll do better next time. I really do need help. I only saved two video of myself in singles amateur bracket and most in teams with Kinzer. He'll send me the replays so I can record and upload them during the week. I'll post them as soon as they are all up.
Don't beat yourself up Jerry, nobody plays Peach and it's one of those MUs you need to take slowly/approach differently to win. Besides, I'm guilty of having my fair of suicides and mishaps I could've easily avoided. When you come over, if we get a chance I'll at least help you with MK some more. You're on your own when it comes to Peach though, I have no idea how to play her even on a basic level.

Anyway, we seem to get a lot of people from Michigan/Midwest coming/moving to Vegas and becoming a part of the community... heh. Fun stuff. At least I won't have any excuse when/if I lose to Sheik now (such a rare character).

Anyway yeah, I'll have some of the videos up soon (hopefully). I got a lot, and most important is that people need to tell me what to do against SK again. This is probably my best performance against him and I at least took him down to last stock both cases (first match might've been high %). Everything else is just for the sake of publicity/serve as a reminder to me to take my opponents a bit more seriously/what happens if you can't adjust to lag (I think there was lag anyway, it didn't feel normal for me to have done some things in some matches... oh well, no johns. I'll place higher/do better next time!

This is the most fun I had in Brawl since ever. I should remember I'm playing for Steaks and not mess around just because.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
^This. Just don't put the whole community in this. It's primarily him for not using better judgment; He chose to sandbag.
It's not the entire community, but it IS incredibly common to accept bracket manipulation and splitting as a normal practice within the community, and this is just the latest example of this.

Sure, ADHD is getting **** about this, but a LOT of people are doing it, it's not fair to just blame him when he's doing something that's generally been acceptable, people should look at themselves too.

So, yea it's his fault, but it's also the community's fault and if we don't like bracket manipulation now we ALL need to clean up our act and not just make ADHD the scapegoat for something that a lot of people do.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Can you consider it wrong to split, even if you still put on one hell of a show for the audience?
IE: Splitting while still playing the set out, no restraints?

I admit that I split from time to time, but when I do, I still play my heart out in the set, and I like to think that my opponent does too. As long as that's established, I feel like the competitive spirit of the game is preserved.

But that's just my morals at work. I wanna know if that's wrong or right.

Bracket manipulation though, feels like it's a step above something like splitting.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Can you consider it wrong to split, even if you still put on one hell of a show for the audience?
IE: Splitting while still playing the set out, no restraints?

I admit that I split from time to time, but when I do, I still play my heart out in the set, and I like to think that my opponent does too. As long as that's established, I feel like the competitive spirit of the game is preserved.

But that's just my morals at work. I wanna know if that's wrong or right.

Bracket manipulation though, feels like it's a step above something like splitting.
glad espy said this, cause i was going ot be too lazy to type it out myself.

Top Bottom