• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official [ACT] Thread: Dancing Blade Aug 18th, Ultimate Wednesday Nights!

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
sorry about the lack of meets/communacation on the weekend but I had a million things to do and I was dead tired, but the good news is no more night shifts for me!
so now I'll be alot less tired all of the time, anyways I'm up for something on friday, if you want we can do a meet at my place, hows 10am till 3pm sound for you guys?

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I'm so glad you've got night shifts off. Hopefully your theory works out and you win Thriller. :p

Friday sounds good, even the time is good.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
you should, all of you should.

keep your calenders open for the 18th of april, possible act tourney date.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
yeah, sunday during the day at mine ;)

also thursday and friday morning 10am till 3pm at mine.

also vk come to stuff already!

GAY?

Smash Apprentice
Good meet today, thanks for hosting Luke.

Guess I'll stick it out with Toon Link for a while, see how it goes. Still keen to get good with Falco though.
**** YOU AND **** SPAGHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Can't make Thursday. Friday and Sunday's good. And lol at Julian going back to Toon Link... I wonder who's going to be next? If it's Falco... FFFFUUU :mad088:

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Well if you do decide to change again, choose someone that no one has mained and someone we need matchup experience against. Like Diddy! :diddy:

Anyways, I think I can make Thursday Friday and Sunday this week :)

Can't wait for some epic training! I hope my Link still stands a chance against you guys. :link:

Throwback

Smash Lord
Julian if you want to improve you just need to stick to 1 (or possibly 2) characters. It takes a looooooong time if you don't have natural skill (i.e. me), but you will eventually improve.

Playing heaps of character tends to slow your learning down because you have to keep relearning timing & patterns.

...Ellipsis...

Smash Lord
Also learn a low tier character, because they are so much harder and get destroyed by the majority of the cast you have to play far smarter with them, and you'll get better quicker because you won't be able to do stupid things. Take MK for instance you can do whatever the hell you want with him and not get punished this will teach you bad habits and if you then go to play another character who is not broken you will have more trouble. Just some thoughts on the matter.

Nanda

Smash Ace
Yeah man, i play MK and it gave me plenty of bad habits but if you have natural gaming skill then it doesn't matter who you use. Once i stopped relying on the character, my MK improved quite a lot.

imo, you should stick with Tink.

Also, will there be any yoshi mains at thriller??? I need someone to help me with my Yoshi.

Toby.

Smash Master
Yeah man, i play MK and it gave me plenty of bad habits but if you have natural gaming skill then it doesn't matter who you use. Once i stopped relying on the character, my MK improved quite a lot.

imo, you should stick with Tink.

Also, will there be any yoshi mains at thriller??? I need someone to help me with my Yoshi.
It's always the MK players who say that it doesn't matter who you use, as long as you are skilled :p

Throwback

Smash Lord
I personally think maining a high tier makes you improve more - you can develop your strengths without having to learn to cover your weaknesses.

But really, all that matters is sticking to 1 character.

edit: While there is such thing as 'natural gaming skill', you can still learn it if you don't have it. On a related note, people who are incompetent at a certain activity tend to rate themselves as more competent than they actually are ;)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I agree. High tiers have far more better options than low tiers have, they can overcome problems quicker.

I think being smart at this game is what matters. Knowing your options on how to punish your opponent's moves and habits and correcting your own is really important. It's taken me a long long time to learn this, pretty much 2 years. I'm a slow learner/pretty dumb. I need people to tell me my bad habits, but I have this problem of not really taking into consideration of what people say. Luke use to tell me the bad habits I had, but I never really listened to him. Blame my stupid pride. :embarrass

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
People tell Gords his bad habits and stuff all the time, but he's always like "nah, what I need to do to improve is X."

Look where that got him.

(Sorry Gords if you read this, just making a point.)

tl;dr listen to people's advice.

Silfa

Smash Ace
I have this problem of not really taking into consideration that other people might want to be told their habits. Blame my stupid pride. :embarrass
Fixed. :)

Anyway, stick to a single character Julian. I recommend TL because out of the characters you've been playing recently he gave me the most trouble.

GAY?

Smash Apprentice
Man, my choice of main sure sparked a lot of posts.
Thanks for the advice guys, we'll see how we go in the next couple of meets.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I know your frustration julian, but like I said, the others jumped ahead of you because while you were away in japan, they were practicing with us and went to some tourneys, you said your sick of losing but theres no shortcuts on the road to being good, and chaging characters only sets you back even further.

either way, by the time thrillers over you will have improved significantly

as for high tier/ low tier being better, as far as I go, for a top level player my fundimentals are quite lacking, but my character skill is very good

this comes from relying on snake to cover my own weakness's somewhat, and although I'm good and place high, ultimately someone like scabe, who use's a low tier character with many weakness's and learns to work around them will have better fundimentals and will no doubt one day overtake me.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Pfft Jon, like you need to be told your habits. Your only habit is too much ****. :mad:

Seriously though your a really smart player, apply for the backroom ;)

Any confirmed dates for the ACT tourney?

I think one of Scabe's bad habits is Link. I think he should switch to Ganon.
This is not a bad idea, my Ganon is pretty **** :034:

Nanda

Smash Ace
Jon's worst habit is just going to a different timeline every time he gets tired of a girlfriend.
you are a heartbreaker.

Riki-Oh knows how to falcon punch

Tiger Shark

Smash Journeyman
So uhh, any tips for beating level 9 Luigi?

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure I now suck with every character thanks to fighting CPs every day. Also, what's the problem with using a number of different characters? Isn't that like telling someone that if they start playing Melee and Smash 64, they'll start getting worse at Brawl? Or that if they start playing FPS games, they'll start getting worse at fighting games?

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
Not really... what you're suggesting is pretty much the same as that someone will get worse at Maths if they study English. It's easy to mentally separate if the subject matter is different.

Nanda

Smash Ace
I think its more of a case of sticking to one character so that you can learn the ins and outs of that character faster.
Just eating icecream, is easier than eating icecream, travelling through time, and sculpting a replica of the venus de milo all at the same time.

Top Bottom