• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Pichu users?

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
I'm somewhat new to the boards at this point and wanted to start a hopefully fun and informative conversation in topic of the lesser used mouse that is PICHU . Lets all come about and talk about sum MUS/advanced techniques/etc if there's still pichu users around. Other low/mid tier mains feel free to discuss as well It'd be fun to hear everyone's thoughts. :pichumelee:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i sometimes use pichu in tournament to gimmick people or as a CP against falcon since i'm not good at the fox vs falcon MU yet.

discussion for that stuff is what all the other threads in the board are for.

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
Yeah Fox - Falcon can be tricky at first. I've been there still is for me infact well at least for the little time I used Fox in Melee. Haha =p

CnB | Chandy

Smash Journeyman
I use Pichu somewhat often in friendlies, but I'm a DK main in tournament. I'll see if I can get some of my Pichu footage up soon though. Been working on those dank reaction tech chases.

Ryu Wolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
RyantheWolf
3DS FC
3239-5574-1795
I use Pichu as a secondary, he's trash sure but He's cute, you can sleep as him and is just fun to play as

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
Good to hear there's some other Pichu fellows out there : ] I'm heading to a melee/64/pm tournament tomorrow and chances are I might bring out the Pichu! get hype if I can make it out of at least round 2 Haha.. Stay cool Pichu fam :172::pichumelee:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Since I use Pikachu, I'll go Pichu. I usually go Pichu to practice playing defensive, see how long I survive. I used to main to see how far I could go, but honestly, Pichu isn't that fun.

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
Since I use Pikachu, I'll go Pichu. I usually go Pichu to practice playing defensive, see how long I survive. I used to main to see how far I could go, but honestly, Pichu isn't that fun.
I guess having a hard to sweet-spot up + b and maining the lightest character can be a bummer.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Pichu has a terrible terrible terrible recovery.

And the worst sweetspot in the game by a land slide. I make it back more as sopo than as Pichu. Just his body gets to long and all the good angles are over telegraphed if they don't care about You sweet spotting. Cause pichu is bad on the edge

Ryu Wolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
RyantheWolf
3DS FC
3239-5574-1795
This is very true Pichu can in fact SLEEP and he has two taunts. Take that Pikachu! :3.
When you think about it he has 3 taunts because, ya know sleeping, he's taunting you by sleeping.

Ryu Wolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
RyantheWolf
3DS FC
3239-5574-1795
Pichu has a terrible terrible terrible recovery.

And the worst sweetspot in the game by a land slide. I make it back more as sopo than as Pichu. Just his body gets to long and all the good angles are over telegraphed if they don't care about You sweet spotting. Cause pichu is bad on the edge
Pichu edgegaurding is bad but as far as recovery goes I think he's one of the best, it's fast and has a ton of range. The only really bad recover position for Pichu is to the bottom right or bottom left of the stage, if you're below the ledge or even offstage to the right or left it's still possible to recover.
In some areas you do have to be careful where you move him but overall his recovery actually is really good.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
I main ics and pichu

People who know how to fight pichu don't have a problem, it's just reaction he doesn't move fast enough to be hard to edge guard.

And unless he is in a spot that can jump to more than one viable spot then he's in a crap recovery area. Why fox has an amazing recovery he can up b sweetspot, hit them, or land on different platforms and can't be covered all with one move or just reaction and can drift when he hits the peak and ff unlike pichu.

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
if people don't get that, i'll put it this way: for fox to edgeguard pichu, all he has to do is ledge hop back air until we decide to go on stage. when we go onto the stage, we should usually be dead. it's nearly the same for all the other decent characters.

i think up tilt and up air are a bit noteworthy too, even though they're mediocre

Last edited:

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
Like pichu is great at getting out of juggles but as soon as You don't have more than one way around them and they aren't going to jump at You, then Your options are trash

Ryu Wolf

Smash Rookie
NNID
RyantheWolf
3DS FC
3239-5574-1795
I'm not talking about his recovery in terms of how hard or easy it is to edgegaurd, I'm saying range-wise it's very long and useful and when you put it next to Fox's recovery even tho Fox's can do damage and is harder to edgegaurd, it doesn't make him invincible. Honestly when you think about it Fox's recovery is pretty easy to gimp due to the long charge up at the beginning, I'll use YL as an example. I knock Fox off stage slightly and he comes in for a recovery, I can easily quickly use a Nari while he charges up to gimp him, it may not kill him but it's still easy to do. For another example, still YL, Fox's below the ledge, I can use a d tilt easily to gimp him there and the same goes with most characters that have d tilts that hit the ground.

In terms of the problem you have with Pichu's recovery not being fast enough, I'd say it's still faster and easier to hit than Fox's. Fox is a big bright glowing target when he recovers using up be making him easy to see and hit if you know the right moves to use. Meanwhile Pichu's is a lot quicker and he is smaller making him somewhat harder to hit.

It just really depends how you go around using Pichu's recovery that determines weather it's good or not, yeah it doesn't do damage but, who uses Fox's recovery to do damage? In most matches I've seen his Up B is never really used for damage nor does it really hit much.

I think it's sort of unfair to be comparing a low tier character to the best character in the game. I mean really. Who's gonna fight Pichu with Fox amirite? :awesome:

P.S - I think I sort of lost track of what I was saying there.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
People try to say something is good for what it is and really that is just flattery.

Been playing since 06 just annoyed by pichu history repeating itself.

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
People try to say something is good for what it is and really that is just flattery.

Been playing since 06 just annoyed by pichu history repeating itself.
I went 0-2 today in a fairly large bracket today :X. Sorry for proving you right I guess. Jk but I have alot to learn..

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
Question for the chat: what do you think is Pichus best MU out of all of the top 8# characters?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
falcon. pichu and falcon destroy each other, though falcon out dash dances pichu. spacies can also be cheesed if they aren't careful, but they rip pichu apart otherwise.

also don't play pichu in tournament against ICs. just don't.

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
He does best vs falcon but more likly to keep up Your momentum vs marth. Where after so long falcon adapts to stop shffl ing as much and just looks for grabs and movement punishment.

Marth gets no easier answers over time.

Nah my problem with the yearly groups of new pichu, s is they got no heart to stick it through or come back, they overrated themselves or pichu by leagues and never ask good questions that can help and more worried about easy wins to scrape by, their ego and that they play pichu.

I mean it's rare that they aren't frauds

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
Oddly enough there are more Kirbys out there than Pichus for some reason... On a different note, I think approaching U-air to up smash sounds like a decent combo starter on fast fallers and maybe you could use a second U-air in between the combo to potentially steal his/her second jump so the up smash can connect easier. Also what are some good throw combos w/Pichu I know theres down throw/up throw to up smash but any others?

the muted smasher

Smash Journeyman
No di factored in upair to-> grab vs fox till 60% falco 55% falcon 20%

D throw is a gimmick generally speaking but at low percents when You can't chain throw ffers

I like b throw tech chases if I'm mid stage or f throw mix ups but that is a true gimmick but least I got mix ups

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i only like b throw tech chasing if i throw them near the ledge because tech away makes it sort of meh aside from giving better positioning. might as well go for up throw into stuff, maybe not at low % though AI nair probably covers platform stuff and down throw is probably better if pichu can tech chase and you actually mastered it unlike lazy comet7 here.

f smash on tech in from b throw is really fun to get, won't work on decent people though.

Last edited:

xChaos

Smash Cadet
I've been really active recently. I won a NEOH tournament as Pichu recently (there weren't any really notable players lol), but at real tournaments I go 50/50 Pichu and fox, and i usually go 2-2 or 3-2 in sets

Gegi

Smash Rookie
I really enjoy Pichu's punish game granted I am not that great with Pichu. Its just a fun character anyone have a color they rep that isn't goggle pichu?

Gegi

Smash Rookie
I like back pack Pichu as well, my personal favorite is red bandanna personally. I think it looks pretty awesome on a small character.

xChaos

Smash Cadet
I think you guys are missing out on the fact that goggle Pichu is objectively best, with backpack at a close second

Last edited:

Blue53

Smash Cadet
NNID
Bluemario64
So I'm really bad at closing out games vs falco and this goes for pretty much anyone I try to play but I would like to know what I should or shouldn't do with Pichu because I like him the best. alot of times falco's down air beats out my nair.. Should I just up air in this case to start juggles? also my expectations for sweet spotting ledge w/pichu are too high. What I mean by this is I never grab ledge with pichu pretty much and forced to get the lagless (less laggy) up b when landing on stage/or platform.. Is it worth trying to learn these ledge snaps or should I just hope to the melee gods not to get hit off stage and also I pretty much mastered all of the fire fox angles and the diagonal sweet spot thingy. Thing about my fox is I cant ever count on solo maining him because I usually mess up simple things like shorthopping.. Sorry for the long post but this falco player (my brother ) doesnt even attend to events or practice as much as I do yet he still beats me in practice. :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom