• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

iLight

Smash Lord
if you have no one to practice with, play against computers and just try to literally play as fast as possible while powershielding as much as you can as well as not relying on rolling or spot dodging too much (will help you not become predictable or accidently start abusing the cpu AI), also practice gimping cpu's at high speed (like when they close to the ledge don't hit them when you know they won't avoid it at the edge of the screen). Also learn dash dance to dacus (hardest technique i ever mastered to fluency) =]

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
I'm done entering tournaments until I discover the secret of trying hard.
Instead of focusing on winning, focus on playing your best. That way if you lose you know it's because you were outplayed and there's something in your game that needs to be improved on. :x

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, I haven't focused on either in tournament so I can't say the advice works.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
After analyzing the MK MU very carefully and finally beating some MKs near my level, I can say that the MU is doable for myself, but imo it's only really feasible with a conservative stagelist/ruleset. I dislike playing on Lylat/lol MK stages/any sharking stage, even Halberd.

I actually really don't mind battlefield in this MU, even with MK's ability to use tornado more liberally.

And because my air release to dacus was on-point, it really changed the outcome of the matchup :). Killing him w/ a frame 6 move that beats shield at a decent percent is too good.

sheikamaru

jive
soooo... frame trap set ups....

what are some that sheik has?

im not sure if this has been discussed before but i wanna know :D

a good one i know of is while on the ledge and your opponent is recovering above the stage you up air them or while an opponent uses double jump on stage you run underneath them w/ a dash attack.

and are any of you guys interested in coming to whobo?

sheikamaru

jive
i clearly don't understand the full meaning of what a frame trap is...i thought it was somethin where your opponent gets hit every time.. or something of that nature.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
A frame trap is something that has enough blockstun where it allows the opponent to start something from shield before the next hit, but except for invincible up+b's that action will always lose out.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
If Marth hits your shield with a fair, and you try to do something out of shield, you'll probably eat an up+B for your troubles. That's the trap.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Heyo! Just perusing random places! Might there be a frame trap based on landing a single needle as you land? Or do you guys incur too much landing lag? I haven't really checked out Sheik's frame data. I recently found some stuff with Zero Suit based on her stun gun, so I guess I'm thinking projectile based traps are the way to go.

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
I dunno, I'm fairly confident we'll take too much lag from the needle but certainly try it out.

@Killik: interested but likely far too poor to make trip. It'd be awesome if I could make it.

Dcold

Smash Lord
There's less lag on fully charged needles than a single needle so why not use that instead if anything.

Speaking of Nationals, anyone going to SKTAR? I might go (if I could get a ride with someone as my relative refuses to drive to NJ lmao), would be great to see other Sheiks there.

Also on the same note, I've got some tournies coming up in the next few weeks, I'll try to get some replays/results for ya, I think I'm the only Sheik main in AtlNorth.

sheikamaru

jive
thank you based aisight!

scary, it'll be an honor if you were to make it

the reason im asking was because i was playing w/ trela the other day and he was like... showing me some interesting stuff w/ sheik, things that im incapable of doing LOL i just got hit a lot.. just gonna leave it at that.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
the frame trap i like to use is jab jab nair

i do jab jab dsmash to frame trap people a lot but if they just hold their shield i get whooped. stopped working a year ago

but still works every now and then :troll:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Go ahead if you like.

imo a strong walling option if you need to create space is SH AC fair - ftilt - repeat. Sheik's fair timing can be varied decently well, and has the greatest disjointed range of all her aerials; while ftilt has good reach and is one of the worst things to ever get hit by against a Sheik.

Sheik's bair, uair, dsmash are probably best for taking advantage of that "burst range" thing.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
have yall gotten any better?

i went to a norcal local and went 1 and out lol. lost to rob and pit UGH those characters are still mad annoying and reminded me why i'd rather play melee :D

whatup eyesight!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
have yall gotten any better?

i went to a norcal local and went 1 and out lol. lost to rob and pit UGH those characters are still mad annoying and reminded me why i'd rather play melee :D

whatup eyesight!
d00d, at least you can still be awesome and go aggro on them if you do it right. Not like ICs/Pika/Kirby where you have to turtle and take your shots.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You aren't controlling his air space, bair, nair, even fair generally outzone him, provided he doesn't get underneath you with like a nair. Of course, why are you approaching the guy? Needles are really awesome against wario since he doesn't have incentive to use shield since he's almost all air game. As long as you're doing okay with your tilts and needles, you should be K against wario.

iLight

Smash Lord
You aren't controlling his air space, bair, nair, even fair generally outzone him, provided he doesn't get underneath you with like a nair. Of course, why are you approaching the guy? Needles are really awesome against wario since he doesn't have incentive to use shield since he's almost all air game. As long as you're doing okay with your tilts and needles, you should be K against wario.
tell this to DMG/Bassem/Phantom X they always outplayed my sheik, and I consider myself pretty good at zoning w/ aerials and needles

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You probably have a bit more exp., although I've played a couple of good ones myself. Your aerials in a raw comparison outrange his, but the problem is his mobility, he can easily get above or underneath you and punish you as well. Have you tried retreating nair and fairs though? They seem to work when I use them, the hitbox coverage and duration really help, especially when you start mixing in retreating pivot grabs and tilts *shrug*

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
iirc Wario's dair just straight up beats almost all of Sheik's weak aerial hitboxes, and fair's disjoint is notably useful in the matchup.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Even bair? I could've sworn dair actually doesn't seem to be as annoying as nair, unless the wario gets where your hitboxes aren't.

Then of course you have your tilts to beat out a lot of his stuff too.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I just zone with the fortress of alternating ftilt/fair with some occasional needles.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Tbh I don't feel like Sheik beats wario in air-air.

I always go with ground-air(namely u-tilt), or aerial punishes out of shield.
I think it can be interchangeable, but yes, tilts also are a great answer to wario, as long as he doesn't take advantage of cool down or double jump -> dair mixups. Wario's hitboxes are very underwhelming though, like maybe Sheik's are worse, but Wario's are definitely pretty small lol, I've only been ousted in the air when I've been staying there too long, or he gets under/over me or waits for cooldown. I still think retreating aerials can still control his air space. I mean, Wario's dair is almost literally his entire body and vertically only decent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnkVukU5WOo

It's the mobility in interchange that makes them so good.

iLight

Smash Lord
You probably have a bit more exp., although I've played a couple of good ones myself. Your aerials in a raw comparison outrange his, but the problem is his mobility, he can easily get above or underneath you and punish you as well. Have you tried retreating nair and fairs though? They seem to work when I use them, the hitbox coverage and duration really help, especially when you start mixing in retreating pivot grabs and tilts *shrug*
the things that you say assume that you first already have the percentage lead, which is not very easy to get, and secondly to everyone else. Just because we have some moves that can trade or even beat out his aerials in the air or even from the ground does not mean we have the advantage. I believe that his advantage in horizontal space coverage and our options do not make for a very good matchup for us especially if wario just bans something as linear as FD where in a perfect world you could potentially zone him in a way that he might care about.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
It's obviously not a great matchup for Sheik, she can't ftilt lock him for 40+ damage.

Top Bottom