• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ADAT - Edmonton, Alberta - July 12, 08

unityole

Smash Lord
Oh right, you win everything now. Not just 64. But the thing is, pools make the singles interesting.

Also, DMK, I suggest booking the day. It's just good measure.
thats incorrect man. pools doesnt make things interesting, 64 does :/
and what if he wins everything? you can only win everything if you're good at everything, and that takes a lot of skill

Vitality

Smash Ace
Yes pools are godly slow. Maybe try using the skill level bracket making on Tio? Has anyone tried this feature and actually make it work?

Our crew n00b School Bus for ADAT currently consists of:
-x_AfterDawn_x (BRAWL)
-Frio (Melee + Brawl)
-Vitality (Melee + Brawl)
-Alphicans (Melee + Brawl)
-KillL0ck (Melee + Brawl) (You're Sexy)

We accept the challenge from Team Ivan OOZE or w/e that team is called. The one who challenged us.
Pick your game.

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
Yes pools are godly slow. Maybe try using the skill level bracket making on Tio? Has anyone tried this feature and actually make it work?
It works as well as it should, however it demands that the skill level you enter for each player actually has some basis in reality. Setting skill levels prior to drawing up the bracket is essentially like pretending that there was pools and ranking the players according to how you think they would've done.

I'm not sure we have enough competitive play under our belts to fairly set someone's "skill" in Brawl and really, as soon as you put a number beside someone's name and a different number beside someone else's, you're going to get some whining and complaining no matter what game you're working with. The reason it is built in to tio is largely to allow for a good spread between skilled, experienced players and newer players in relatively small/low-profile tournament brackets. Higher skilled players are seeded in the bracket first to prevent things like this in the first round:

Ken
Isai___________Ken
Isai

Mew2King
PC Chris___________Mew2King
PC Chris

Scrub #1
Scrub #2______________Scrub#1
Scrub #2

Scrub #3
Scrub #3_____________RJM:luigi:
RJM:luigi:

So in Round 2, if Isai beats PC Chris, PC Chris is out of the tournament. And if Scrub #1 beats me, he's suddenly got a shot at the finals, despite never having been at a tournament before. And whatever happens after that, both me and Scrub #1 end up finishing higher in the overall placings than PC Chris--which is wrong.

In short, Pools rock. But if you don't have enough TVs to run efficient pools (or whatever the reason is), I would highly suggest seeding players by location to prevent players from the same general area eliminating each other early in the bracket. The math doesn't always work out perfectly, but you might as well do what you can to avoid having a situation where three players drive all the way from Calgary just to end up playing against each other in the opening rounds and one gets eliminated without having a fair crack at the rest of the province.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
yeah the "feature" you're talking about JIM is actually what we use for seeding off pools. Seeding by region is, like Randall said, your best option.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Unitoyle... I was saying Dan is good. That was my point.

Also, I guess you guys are right we should have more events. But don't do melee doubles on ONE FREAKING TV. Get this **** actually organized so it runs efficiently if you're gonna try to make it fast.

and yeah, Randalls making my biggest point, seeing as though I made the PR I made almsost 100% off of tournament placing from CT4, I want the people who deserve to be higher/lower in their respective spots.

Mind you, once everyone else in the panel and not JUST me take the time to play/watch other players they'll know whos good and not. That was my biggest problem, Dan was like my main panelist at first and he didn't even take the time to see who was relatively good. DAN >=[

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, melee double will of course be on more then one tv, but CT4 melee doubles will always be remembered because of that. It was worth it IMO.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I'm not gonna lie, especaially with how few people stuck around. It definately was worth it. Just it went real slow.

DMK.

Smash Journeyman
Oh right, you win everything now. Not just 64. But the thing is, pools make the singles interesting.

Also, DMK, I suggest booking the day. It's just good measure.
Unfortunately I can't do that because I'm already booking the previous Saturday off for my sister's graduation.

When are Brawl singles? That's the most important one for me.

And should I assume there will be Brawl friendlies throughout the day? My main objective is to get in as many matches as possible, tourney or not.

kithkin

Smash Champion
JOHN WTF HOW ARE YOU GETTING THERE? CAN I GO WITH YOU?

And Tyson, you ARE a panelist... thats what that chat was for...

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Tags
**** tags, adat, brad is banned, brad is hype, edmonton alberta tourney, it was levi, moar noobs, needs more hype., pancakes yum, this thread lacks hype., this thread needs tags!, who is i?, who made these tags, who? i did

Vitality

Smash Ace

What about friendlies? I have no interest in Melee at all, but this community seems heavily Melee biased and I don't want to show up if all the friendlies are Melee/64.
There will be brawl friendlies. If you're not getting any friendlies then find a TV, find someone to play with, and boom you got your friendly. Avaliability is based on whether or not are you willing to organize them yourself.

Also, learn melee. It owns brawl in challenge and popularity.

At CT4, there were maybe 5-6 spectators for the Brawl doubles and 3-5 for Brawl singles. Melee doubles everyone went and watched xD

Tyson651

Smash Lord
no, not really, cause everyone left after brawl finished.

there is a lot of brawl games, u dont have to worry about that.

Vitality

Smash Ace
Lol what? You didn't even go to CT4 After Dawn and you're pointing fingers : |

edit: I have to say that...CARL WE WANT QUAD-FALCON-PUNCH (vidz)

Tyson651

Smash Lord
vitality = jim?

if it is, then its cause after dawn believes me over jim :)

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Lol what? You didn't even go to CT4 After Dawn and you're pointing fingers : |

edit: I have to say that...CARL WE WANT QUAD-FALCON-PUNCH (vidz)
vitality = jim?

if it is, then its cause after dawn believes me over jim :)
You and kithkin, yes. :)

Also...

Tags
**** tags, adat, brad is banned, brad is hype, brad is not hype, edmonton alberta tourney, it was levi, needs more hype., pancakes yum, this thread lacks hype., this thread needs tags!, who is i?, who made these tags, who? i did

kithkin

Smash Champion
lol wait what? You believe me over Vitality? Lol.

Also I kinda think I am hype, the whole money match thing.

By the way Carl, I see your secret training system, don't even try that, you're still gonna get wrecked.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i wrote brad is not hype lol :D

every time u bold a tag, its from me haha.

OH SNAP, WALK IN THE PARK LOLOL THIRTY DOLLA MONEY MAAAAAAAATCHHHHHHHHHH

GRENADAAAAAA

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
Tags
**** tags, adat, brad is banned, brad is hype, brad is not hype, carl's hot, edmonton alberta tourney, it was levi, needs more hype., pancakes yum, this thread lacks hype., this thread needs tags!, who is i?, who made these tags, who? i did

I second this tag.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Why does the tournament organizer who *****ed about spam keep spamming ****, seriously its stupid.

Also Tyson your posts make so sense. You're not french, its called a Pomegranite.

Also Carl, Despite Tyson being a tard and choosing to up the price, that ones not official, and expect this to be not just any walk in the park.

I'm going to destroy you, throw you down untill you feel nothing but pain. You'll feel a whole new SPECTRUM of pain. Like a RAINBOW!

But this rainbow isn't just like any other rainbow-

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I am back.

This tourny is getting pretty big, but the thread is kinda like some old granny's vag... Messy, nasty, and pointless... I am just gonna announce somethings that you all may be curious about.

There will be no food provided by us, I am sorry everyone I know you get hungry but Tyler and I aren't cool like that. On that note there is still this pizza thing that was discussed about near the start of this thread, so my question is, what's going on with that? Also if you are dying for food there is a pretty nearby corner store which sells snacks (no real food). I suggest you bring a lunch or something IDK. Again I'd like to say no N64 for sure.

I'd also like to know who is brining TV's and wii's. It'd be nice if we had a list of how many TV's and wii's we have, and remember TV's are more important because not as many ppl bring them, so please don't flood the hall with wii's.

One last thing for now, who thinks having a whole separate event for Carl and Brad's MM is a good idea? Like I am thinking after we're done with brawl everyone gathers around 1 TV and watches this **** go down, and I am talking this is mandatory to watch. Also there should be more trash talk.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
One last thing for now, who thinks having a whole separate event for Carl and Brad's MM is a good idea? Like I am thinking after we're done with brawl everyone gathers around 1 TV and watches this **** go down, and I am talking this is mandatory to watch. Also there should be more trash talk.
Record it with commentary and actually put it on youtube before SSB4.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I was gonna call you a huge loser for the beginning of that post.

But hey, you actually wanna make something mandatory? **** yeah, theres what I wanted.

Lol this is gonna be real funny when the MM is completely one sided. You guys forgot that Carl sucks.

edit: Yeah what the ****, Get that **** on youtube carl.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I disagree, I think Carl will run Brad's show, and I will bet anyone who thinks otherwise! That's right, I am making a Carl fan club =D

Top Bottom