• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Adding New Characters

Thegreenblur

Smash Cadet
I was just wondering if it was possible to add new characters into Melee. I know its possible in Brawl so I was just wondering if the same applies to Melee. Thanks in advance.

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
The development is very far from that, custom models and animations must be found first.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible as soon as custom models and animations are possible. It looks like we can load any character .dat we want when loading a character (see the 20XX Training Hack Pack and its ability to load both PAL characters). We would just need animations/models and maybe some CSS stuff (which also isn't entirely figured out).

I can't wait to help bring Birdo to Melee.

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
I don't see why it wouldn't be possible as soon as custom models and animations are possible. It looks like we can load any character .dat we want when loading a character (see the 20XX Training Hack Pack and its ability to load both PAL characters). We would just need animations/models and maybe some CSS stuff (which also isn't entirely figured out).

I can't wait to help bring Birdo to Melee.
I think the problem here is that we can't load two versions of one character's dat. That's why you can't play PAL vs NTSC dittos. If you "added" a character right now, you couldn't play them with the character they were based from.

Doq

Smash Lord
I think the problem here is that we can't load two versions of one character's dat. That's why you can't play PAL vs NTSC dittos. If you "added" a character right now, you couldn't play them with the character they were based from.
Simple solution would be to load character data regardless of whether it's already loaded or not.

Whether or not it's efficient is something different.

Last edited:

Veggies

Smash Journeyman
Even if it were found out on how to add a new "character" whether that be a PAL and NTSC or an entirely new one, the UMC (Universal Model Converter) is very, very far from being done. Tcll who is working on UMC has nearly come to a stand still with his knowledge. He needs help with something 3D related which he doesn't have enough knowledge on yet. If you wish to check out his progress visit his thread here.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
Instead of adding characters like BrawlEX, could you replace a character like the Ridley PSA for Project M?
That would definitely be much more doable, but there is still the road block of custom animations/models as mentioned earlier.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
Yes, custom textures can be easily done. So I suppose it would be pretty easy to make a "new character" that is simply a variant of an existing character. (ex. Dark Samus as a replacement for samus, where she has an ehanced moveset of dark moves with modified hitboxes, modified attributes, etc... just as an example.)

Last edited:

flieskiller

Smash Journeyman
Yes, custom textures can be easily done. So I suppose it would be pretty easy to make a "new character" that is simply a variant of an existing character. (ex. Dark Samus as a replacement for samus, where she has an ehanced moveset of dark moves with modified hitboxes, modified attributes, etc... just as an example.)
Dark pit confirmed.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
lmao, the world's least unique character, followed closely after by a certain female Marth... but I digress

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
A "Dark Samus" would be kind of lame unless she had some different animations though, so there's the roadblock again (unless you just use pre-existing animations, but that would probably be really weird).
There's gotta be some good unused ones that could probably be spliced together. SD Remix uses Bowsers aerial item down throw as his DownAir and then applied a meteor to it which is a pretty clever way of making something new. What about moveset swapping and then applying different animations? Would that have an effect?

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
A "Dark Samus" would be kind of lame unless she had some different animations though, so there's the roadblock again (unless you just use pre-existing animations, but that would probably be really weird).
Yeah I believe that was what flieskiller was hinting at earlier and I agree. There's not all that much you could do to make a truly unique character that's just a clone at the end of the day. But that said... PM Roy is pretty different from Marth so it certainly isn't impossible to make a unique clone.

Dark Roy. That's what we need.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
There's gotta be some good unused ones that could probably be spliced together. SD Remix uses Bowsers aerial item down throw as his DownAir and then applied a meteor to it which is a pretty clever way of making something new. What about moveset swapping and then applying different animations? Would that have an effect?
SDRemix also made her Up-Smash use her up-throw animation with pretty decent results. I've also played around with animation swapping and got some fairly decent results. At one point I made her forward air an ice-based attack using the screw attack animation... kinda cool.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
This makes me want to screw around in hopes that I'll find something good.

This is the best custom character thing we have as of now, so why not make the best of it?

Ampers

Smash Journeyman

This is the best custom character thing we have as of now, so why not make the best of it?
by "this" do you mean Dark Samus? I mean I'd be down to give it a shot if you wanna collab.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
This is a completely out of place comment.

But what if Ness had an air dodge interrupt added to his [traveling electrically] up-b action state? I think it would work.

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
This is a completely out of place comment.

But what if Ness had an air dodge interrupt added to his [traveling electrically] up-b? I think it would work.
Waveland out of it on stage to ledge stall would be pretty filthy. not that he can act out of that quickly or anything ;_;

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
by "this" do you mean Dark Samus? I mean I'd be down to give it a shot if you wanna collab.
So, has character moveset swapping and animation switching been combined yet to see what it will produce? I'm going to assume it'd probably just pump out garbage animations but it's worth a try. How would this be done?

When the topic of Dark Samus came up I started looking into gameplay videos for reference of what sort of move differences would Dark Samus have over regular Samus (or even better, Light Suit samus). Dark Samus shoots way more missles in a short period of time, presumably have less knockback and and damage but would add up if you get hit by multiple over time. for starters.

[collapse=Vidoes]
[/collapse]
Not too sure how you'd go about that. Would that require asm/dol modding?
Is looking at the branch of Yoshi's UpB worth looking at? maybe?

Last edited:

Ampers

Smash Journeyman
What exactly to you mean by character moveset swapping? If you just mean manually modifying them, it's pretty simple to switch animations and get the move to adapt to the new animation. Right around the time I added support for animation swapping to Crazy Hand I was messing with animation swapping quite a bit and for the most part I got pretty good results. It is definitely doable.

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
What exactly to you mean by character moveset swapping? If you just mean manually modifying them, it's pretty simple to switch animations and get the move to adapt to the new animation. Right around the time I added support for animation swapping to Crazy Hand I was messing with animation swapping quite a bit and for the most part I got pretty good results. It is definitely doable.
I'm talking about this.
http://smashboards.com/threads/action-replay-move-swap-project.83904/
http://smashboards.com/threads/moveset-swapping.342519/

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Ness - Up-B [traveling] w/ Airdodge Interrupt (1.02) [Achilles]
043cc8e0 80099a58
043cc960 80099a58

Yuuuuup. This is what he needed all along.

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
[collapse=Coincidence?]

Last week brought some big announcements for both Brawl Modders and Project M players alike.​

Harmony of Heroes, a huge smash brothers fan-arrangement album, announced yesterday that both their core album Harmony of Heroes, as well as its expansion Final Smash, are now available for download as BRSTM files, which can be used in mods such as Project M. There is a link to the download in the Tweet below.

Last week, Project M began hinting at a release date for their coveted 3.6 update. In an attempt to tide over fans until the release of 3.6, they have revealed an updated render for Fusion Suit Samus.

Great work from the Project M team as usual.
I’m super hype for the new music, and even more hype for 3.6! Hit me up @Marthmario to talk about these juicy details.
[/collapse]
I think not.

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
Achilles, this is so sick looooool

I'm also gonna have to second Ampers on the whole learning to ASM mod thing. Is this all learnable through Dan's livestream?

Last edited:

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
There are probably enough unique animations in the game to do a fairly good job of creating a custom character when it becomes possible to do this kind of thing without use of an AR code.
All I'm asking is, is it possible to use the animations from a different character's move, for example bowers down b animation on Link's Forward Air? What kind of result would this spit out? I feel like a lot of it could be garbage data but there's probably enough stuff that is used or unused already to make a new character instead of having to make all new animations.

MagicScrumpy

Smash Journeyman
All I'm asking is, is it possible to use the animations from a different character's move, for example bowers down b animation on Link's Forward Air? What kind of result would this spit out? I feel like a lot of it could be garbage data but there's probably enough stuff that is used or unused already to make a new character instead of having to make all new animations.
The specific example would look kinda weird :p

I've never seen any move swaps that weren't done using AR, but such an engine could make for some really interesting results. If I knew how to do this sort of thing, I would be on it. I think I'll learn a little bit about how to do this kind of thing so that I can try to make the magic happen.

It would be so sick.

Ampers

Smash Journeyman

I've never seen any move swaps that weren't done using AR, but such an engine could make for some really interesting results. If I knew how to do this sort of thing, I would be on it. I think I'll learn a little bit about how to do this kind of thing so that I can try to make the magic happen.

It would be so sick.
If somebody could figure out a way to swap specific move animations without the use of an AR code, that would be so cool. Can you imagine giving any character falcon's knee? O.O

Last edited:

TerryJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
1337-1337-1337
3DS FC
1337-1337-1337
If somebody could figure out a way to swap specific move animations without the use of an AR code, that would be so cool. Can you imagine giving any character falcon's knee? O.O

It would be so sick.
Well, AR codes are really just scripts that access various registers in the memory and modify them to produce specific results. I recall there being a big thread on the process of converting AR/Gameshark codes to DOL/Gecko codes and the like. If I find it I'll edit this and post it.

Top Bottom