• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Adjusting to 3DS Controls

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
I keep hearing everyone complaining that the controls for the 3ds are going to limit the gameplay because you can't use a Gamecube controller. Perhaps it's not EVERYBODY but just a few select people and I've just happened to see their comments & posts... but either way, if you want to train yourself to be prepared for the massive amount of skill you'll be up against when you start playing online for the 3DS, I suggest you do this:

Play Super Smash Bros Brawl or Project M with the classic controller and DON'T use the C-stick (right joystick) for smash attacks. I swear it's not impossible. :grin: If you play those games using that controller, it will literally feel the EXACT same when you switch to the 3DS... look at 'em both. They're set up identically MINUS the right joystick.

Fortunately for me, I didn't even realize you could use the C-stick for Smash Attacks until about 3 years after I started playing Melee so I learned smash attacks from the 64 first then the gamecube without the use of a C-stick. (Of course I got it when I was twelve and didn't participate in online forums... I don't even think I had internet in my home yet... sounds depressing right? :sadeyes:)

Anyway, what does everyone else think? Is the 3DS version going to be inferior just because of the button set-up? I for one, am looking even more forward to the 3DS version because I can take my absolute favorite game of all time ANYWHERE I go... It looks beautiful (for a 3DS game) and the stages are perfect for anybody who has always been a handheld game fan.

Feel free to add me! :ness64: :nessmelee::ness2::lucas:(Still waiting for my PSI powered buddies.) Oh, and this guy ----->:snake:
Mii Name: Bob Cox
3DS Friend Code: 4682-8512-6002
Wii U User Name: BobEugCox

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
I think too many people are complaining about the controls...pretty much because the 3DS isn't a gamecube controller.
For me, while C-sticking is gone, it's something I can live with, save for when I grab + forward smash with Ice Climbers...which probably would have been nerfed anyway.

As for controls, being a Classic Controller Pro user, one thing I'm doing to prepare is having the L and ZL buttons set to grab, and the R and ZR buttons set to block in Brawl, exactly like the 3DS default controls have it set.
(Seriously. We need to form a group of Classic Controller players only.)

captainghost07

Smash Apprentice
NNID
captainghost07
Switch FC
SW-3052-5727-4615
for me i used to play brawl with the Wii mote and nun chuck now i recently started playing brawl and project m with a sideways Wii mote and i gotten pretty good at it for me i never played with the game cube controller because i never played 64 or melee because i was not born when 64 was out and i was just born when melee was out so i never even new what c sticking was till a couple of years ago so i feel like i can pick up the controls for 3ds very fast and wont have to worry about it

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Eh, give me a grip for mine because of how small it is and I'll be fine.

Fizure

Smash Rookie
Personally, its the flat style of the sticks that bothers me about the 3DS. I find them harder to control accurately and might make tilts, etc. more difficult.

Soul.

The game's controls will be fine. It just needs to be released so that players can try it out. Of course, the lack of a C-Stick is a problem to some, but it's still going to be good without it.

geo1088

Smash Rookie
The biggest thing I don't like with the controls actually isn't the C-stick gone, but that they use L for grab and R for shield, since I use the opposite. In Brawl I use the wiimote sideways, so the C-stick isn't a big deal for me.

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
The biggest thing I don't like with the controls actually isn't the C-stick gone, but that they use L for grab and R for shield, since I use the opposite. In Brawl I use the wiimote sideways, so the C-stick isn't a big deal for me.
I'm guessing, based off of Brawl's ability to change the button set-up, that you'll be able to do the same in this game. :)

Urz

Smash Cadet
Just wait until Smashers start going through 3DSes like Gamecube controllers.

Competitive Smash 3DS the most expensive hobby.

D

Deleted member

Like I said in past threads, both versions aren't inferior. Calling SSB 3DS inferior just for controls doesn't make any sense at all. But yeah, I think I'll get used to them quickly. The lack of a C-stick doesn't bother me. Of the two new SSB games, I'll mostly play the 3DS game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
People who played Brawl using the Wii Classic Controller (Pro) should have no issues getting used to 3DS controls other than dealing with two less shoulder buttons and one less control stick. It's the same button layout otherwise.

I'm all about that GameCube controller myself, so it'll take me a bit to get used to the 3DS controls. Hopefully, I can set my buttons in-game to something comfortable.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think too many people are complaining about the controls...pretty much because the 3DS isn't a gamecube controller.
Exactly. People also complain a lot about the classic controller, for the same reason. Anyway, C-sticking is something I never bothered with, when playing with a Gamecube controller, so I am really not worried about the 3DS controls (as long as we can customize them, because I want to move the character with the d-pad).

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
If you're worried about the controls, just hop on over to Garrettyim's thread for a second. Getting something from there should at least make the controls more comfortable.

iNinja5567

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNinja5567
3DS FC
1435-5269-0072
I keep hearing everyone complaining that the controls for the 3ds are going to limit the gameplay because you can't use a Gamecube controller. Perhaps it's not EVERYBODY but just a few select people and I've just happened to see their comments & posts... but either way, if you want to train yourself to be prepared for the massive amount of skill you'll be up against when you start playing online for the 3DS, I suggest you do this:

Play Super Smash Bros Brawl or Project M with the classic controller and DON'T use the C-stick (right joystick) for smash attacks. I swear it's not impossible. :grin: If you play those games using that controller, it will literally feel the EXACT same when you switch to the 3DS... look at 'em both. They're set up identically MINUS the right joystick.

Fortunately for me, I didn't even realize you could use the C-stick for Smash Attacks until about 3 years after I started playing Melee so I learned smash attacks from the 64 first then the gamecube without the use of a C-stick. (Of course I got it when I was twelve and didn't participate in online forums... I don't even think I had internet in my home yet... sounds depressing right? :sadeyes:)

Anyway, what does everyone else think? Is the 3DS version going to be inferior just because of the button set-up? I for one, am looking even more forward to the 3DS version because I can take my absolute favorite game of all time ANYWHERE I go... It looks beautiful (for a 3DS game) and the stages are perfect for anybody who has always been a handheld game fan.

Feel free to add me! :ness64: :nessmelee::ness2::lucas:(Still waiting for my PSI powered buddies.) Oh, and this guy ----->:snake:
Mii Name: Bob Cox
3DS Friend Code: 4682-8512-6002
Wii U User Name: BobEugCox
I already use the Classic Controller Pro, so it will be an easy switch for me.

D

Deleted member

I talked to a friend a couple days ago, and he said that the worst part of the 3ds is no c-stick for aerial attacks, but it's not that hard to train yourself to not use the c-stick. I did it in a couple weeks, the most challenging part is not fast falling when trying to dair.

criticalhit1992

Smash Cadet
NNID
Falco1994
3DS FC
2707-2104-0489
People who are adjusting from Gamecube to 3DS will have a bit of a learning curve. Usually it takes about 2 or 3 hours to get really used to a new controller, but once you get used to it, you can start kicking some butt!

Yakko93

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ohmy1985
Controls are fine, almost same as the Pro Controller and the Gamepad, only no other stick (not counting circle-pad pro), but that is minor to me.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I'm looking forward to playing on the 3DS, I'll just get used to it. Fortunately (or unfortunately?) I've never had to settle for a Classic Controller of any sort, so I'll just be getting used to it from scratch.

Then again, based on the default controls at E3, the only things I'll probably change are remove tapjump and swap Y to Grab and L to Shield or something.

Yodude57

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yodude57
3DS FC
3282-2513-0940
In brawl I used the wiimote sideways so I'll switch the grab and shield buttons for 3ds version (and for personal preference probably map my grab button to x as well as an experiment). Anyway, I've played a lot of ds over the years, and I've never used the c-stick becuase I never played melee, WHAT YOUVE NEVER PLAYED MELEE?! (Yes now looking back I wish I could have played it when I had the chance.) So for me this should be really easy to play sm4sh on 3ds! :)

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I've used Wiimote quite a while, so I might not have it too difficult adjusting. It's not Melee/PM we're playing here either.

Besides, there's Tales of The Abyss on 3DS and it's control scheme + battle system...

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I've been using the gamecube for 10+ years, and I'm going to continue using it for the Wii U version, so yeah, it'll be a jump.

But if that's the price to pay for a portable smash, it's small. I'll jump into it and learn it as fast as possible.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
One large recommendation I have, is that people play "Kirby Fighters" on Kirby Triple Deluxe. It is the closest thing you'll get to Smash Bros. on 3DS.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
I think the 3DS controls are going to feel very natural to me if only cause I play Super Smash Flash 2 with a Logitech PC controller which just has a D-pad, four face buttons, and the L and R triggers and bumpers and I have a configuration on it that matches how I played Smash 64 and since the 3DS has the face buttons in the same position as my PC controller I think I'll be just fine, it helps that I don't use the C-stick and it'll especially help if I can use the D-pad for movement and just double tap to dash. but seeing as how most people are going to have trouble getting used to the 3DS controls, well then it looks like I'll be wrecking a lot of souls at launch.

Ehn Jolly

Smash Journeyman
I'll admit this is something I'm concerned for too, since most games I play on my 3ds are turn based (Pokemon, FE:A), so the amount of customization in control scheme is going to be key to me. especially as a (former) C-sticker.

Typhoon

Smash Cadet
http://smashboards.com/threads/3ds-gamecube-controller-adapter.357043/page-3

PB&J explains that his friend is working on an adapter so that the Gamecube controller can be used on the 3DS. Apparently it's almost done. Before anyone complains about it limiting the portability of the system, no one is forcing you to use it. More options are always a great thing. I'm personally very excited.

Edit: Imo this will be perfect for getting in friendlies at tournaments. Less fighting with TO's over TV's and more playing against other people.

Last edited:

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
My problem with the controls is solely the mapping of where the buttons are in relation to the actions.

The Y button is where the B button should be for muscle memory playing the game. I don't care that it's not a Gamecube controller, I just want it to feel the same as it did in all 3 previous games.

Granted, for anyone who used Classic Controller in Brawl, the change isn't going to be weird for them, but for anyone that used Gamecube, ABXY for both Pro & 3DS are not in the same place. So, assuming custom controls are still there (and why wouldn't they be?) nothing is really going to prevent people from having similar controls.

And then you can just buy a grip if you really want extra comfort.

rittzler

Smash Rookie
NNID
rittzler
a gamecube adapter for the 3ds sounds kind of ridiculous to me, but i guess if people get use out of it, good for them!

i forget about using the c-stick all the time in normal smash, so not having a second circle pad won't be tooo big of an issue, i think. the lack of triggers won't even be too huge for me- it's definitely gonna be the face buttons that give issue lol.
the other day i tried brawl on my wii u with the classic controller and hot diggety that was the strangest sensation i have felt in a LONG time. my fingers couldn't figure out where a and b worked best, and the low analog sticks? forget it.

i'll just have to get used to it, and get used to it fast. if the lack of triggers and right stick actually end up a problem, circle pad pro support maybe yeah?

Imber

Smash Cadet
What if they used the touch screen to make a virtual c-stick similar to the virtual d-pad monster hunter had? Actually a customizable touch screen could have solved most of the issues in this thread...

BobEugCox

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BobEugCox
What if they used the touch screen to make a virtual c-stick similar to the virtual d-pad monster hunter had? Actually a customizable touch screen could have solved most of the issues in this thread...
I would have an immensely difficult time with that, but offering it to people who could get use out of it would be nice.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
My only problems with the controls are smash attacks (Hope the circle pad pro is compatible with it), the rest is fine IMO!

Renji64

Smash Lord
I'll get use to them but the controls are the main reason i'm not playing the 3ds verison for that long dropping it for the wiiu one once it is released.

Top Bottom