• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advanced Grenade Tactics

Yumewomiteru

Smash Master
NNID
yumewomiteru
I think I found something useful and not widely known.

So when Snake is landing with a grenade in his hand he has a few options:
keep holding on to it or lobbing it
shield and drop the grenade
spot dodge and drop
roll and drop
grab and drop

and the most important one: jump and drop.

So when you're falling with the grenade and holding b and shield, if you press jump right when you land (think you can buffer it too, not sure though) you can short hop or full hop right away without putting your shield up while dropping the nade.

Uses:

Aerials, if you catch your opponent completely offguard expecting a defensive move it could be a great way to get a bair kill. If you use the aerials quick enough you can pick up the grenade you just dropped with the aerial.

Insta-throw, the timing of it is pretty strict, but you can do it.

Jump away from opponent, this adds another defensive option besides roll and spot dodge since you can fullhop and second jump.

Sorry if this is known already, but I think it's def useful.

Nic64

Smash Lord
I don't tend to do it as much on landing but yeah, instant OOS aerials from nade stance is useful as is usmash, both of which are pretty underutilized

Superspright

Smash Lord
Can you drop the nade while sliding backward? If so, I am going to seriously incorporate it into my game. Sliding sidedodge with grenade drop into grab/utilt/ftilt trip/dtilt/mindgames!?!? plz.

What's a sliding spot dodge? Is it the one when you roll backwards or forwards you throw the nade then it will make Snake slide backward or forward while he throws the nade?

SNk.

Smash Rookie
What's a sliding spot dodge? Is it the one when you roll backwards or forwards you throw the nade then it will make Snake slide backward or forward while he throws the nade?
No thats the Glide toss

Wooj

Smash Journeyman
sliding spot dodge is very useful.

if peirce reads this plz. lol just plz.

on my last match with pierce a good marth. very good marth.
my best way of getting damage was to approuch with a grenade and then slide spot dodge and he thinks hes spacing right but then i spot dodge and he gets blown up. this is also amazing on DK. i should be put in the back room. this can also be used on snake. to approuch wit this then slide backwards out of f tilt range and then f tilt him back. this is really a great way to get damage in.

on my next tournament im going to beat DEHF on live stream and have the vid posted so every1 can see.
its going to be at Viridian city Feb 27 every one in the woorld is comming and u should to. btw im not going to **** dehf i just **** falco. so yeah hes a good player. but i know how to fight his charecter.

oh this is also amazing against charecters with no projectiles or bad slow projectiles that can be seen and blocked by a mile away (lucario) IF your in the lead you should be camping. one thing i do isapprouch with a granade spot dodge. if they hit the grenade good for me and they get hit. if they dont hit it when ur done wit the spot dodge press A to pick up the grenade and run away. (Oh and the stage should have plat forms--- works best for me on BF) once u get to the begining of the platform Short hop but it has to be a good one that takes like 20 min of practice to get down perfect. and press Z to drop the nade mad ninja status on them. if they are chasing you by the time all this happens the nade will blow up by the time they cross the nade.

example.

u are in the lead by around 15%. its u vs a MK. they are in the air doing dairs and spacing them well. take around two steps forward hile there around there last jump. most of the MK's will do this they tornado.once u have done all of the and have the grenade and all. instead of sheilding run away towards the platform. drop the nade if the MK is following u wit the tornado. if he doesnt youll have an exploding nade and be safe.

i'll finish later. bcuzcomputer class just finished.

How about using grenades to edgeguard people in Delfino Plaza at the water. You can properly cook grenades and throw them to the water or to control the distance , you may grenade strip then it will explode on the opponent. It's useless against characters who can fly. You can use mines also but it's more risky. This in my opinion seems pretty useless since they'll be cautious not to enter the water anyway, what do you tink?

Superspright

Smash Lord
I have been messing with the ADCT a bit. If you pull a grenade, drop it, then ADCT it down, you can jump and do an airdodged drop of the nade. This is pretty useful when there are platforms above you, or if an opponent might want to chase you from beneath. Plus, I haven't been able to do it yet but I imagine you can airdodge left or right while being able to simultaneously pick it up and drop it.

I find it is insanely easy to do this on a wiimote because of how close my fingers are to the jump and shield button. I'm trying to improve my grenade game with this kind of stuff, because the tosses are pretty predictable.

Wooj

Smash Journeyman
how to spot dodge back wards. spot dodge with a granade in hand but tilt the control stick like 10 bread crumbs the direction ur dodging in.

rchau

Smash Cadet
how do u do the instant grenade drop/throw he does at like 55sceonds in the video? can't figure out what he does.

rchau

Smash Cadet
i know its not shield dropping a grenade and throwing it, because he says its 7 frames faster, but i dont kno how he does it...

Top Bottom