• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advent Lee's Diddy: UPDATED WITH NEW VIDS

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Thats that Meeaaaatttttttt Riiiiiiiiiiiiding over there LoLz:laugh:

I gotta use that next tourny.

Whens your next tourny??? Next time you play MK see if you can record some matches, because I feel like I'm terrible in that match up. I suck at this game :(

-L-

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Jaaassssoooonnn!!! WTF are you doin on the Diddy boards???

Get your Chain Grabbing Dedede outta here LoLz. JK JK. But yea thanks.

Why didnt you go to the tourny yesterday???

-lee-

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I had some friends come over from Gainesville for the day, so I'd figured I'd skip out on the tourney. Sorry for not being there. =/ I want to do a few sets with you man. I got a feeling DeDeDe is the one.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Dedede has got to be one of the most boring characters in the game.

Look how FAT he is LoLz. But yea I think your getting there with him, and yea we should play somtime, but I gotta warn ya I **** Dedede :)

-ele-

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Hey, Lee. I just got your private message regarding this thread. I just started to actively utilize this account here, so I'm not quite used to checking for notifications here yet, but I hope you don't think I was ignoring you or anything.

I've had the opportunity of sharing a few friendlies with Texas' best Dedede player, Fogo, so most of my recommendations are going to be specific to this particular match-up. First things first: although I would say that this match-up would lean towards Diddy in his favor, it's not by a landslide like some people would like to believe. Yes, massive size makes Dedede more prone to banana barrages from more obtuse angles, but prudent Dedede mains will do everything they can to neutralize your banana game with his ability to swiftly close ground distance. And unless you're playing on FD, chances are you're facing off against him on a relatively small stage, so you're going to have to nimbly work your way around his pressure so you can adequately set up your bananas (as you no doubt probably realized for yourself).

Also, it is very possible for Diddy to smash DI out of Dedede's chain-grab. Allow me to clarify - it does not move you completely out of Dedede's range because of the the sheer distance he can cover with his dash speed, but it will create enough of separation between the two of you after his D-throw for you to jump, roll, or spot-dodge. I can almost always reliably smash DI by smashing the directional stick and the C-stick away from Dedede.

Try not to get too caught up in filling dead space up with empty movement that don't contribute to either trapping, spacing or mind-gaming setups. There were more than a few times where you went into what Vyse has appropriately labeled auto-pilot mode and just started blindly glide-tossing bananas into a shield, only for you to get punished with a shield-grab as soon as you were in range. There's a difference between weaving an illusion of unpredictable movement into your pressure game, and then just tech-flashing for the sake of it.

Of the three matches posted, two of them could have very easily been victories in your name. Avoid being cute and flashy all the time so you don't end up paying for making simple yet costly mistakes - you know what they are. Try making better and more frequent use of your more underused moves such as your infinitely useful tilts if you're concerned with move decay.

Finally, I'm in no way trying to discredit the difficulty of your matches against Florida's best Dedede representative, but he's certainly not the best Dedede I've seen. Frankly, there are a dozen of things he could have done with the moves and baiting strategies that he didn't use to take advantage of your match-up inexperience and cut most of these matches by about two minutes shorter on average. You're a very competent Diddy main though, and I'm sure that if you'll just take the time to be more deliberate and precise in your decision-making, this and future match-ups will become more of a breeze for you.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Dedede has got to be one of the most boring characters in the game.

Look how FAT he is LoLz. But yea I think your getting there with him, and yea we should play somtime, but I gotta warn ya I **** Dedede :)

-ele-
lol, True. But I'm gonna make my Dedede special. Hit me up sometime and we'll do some matches.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
Yea i have to agree with Le Thien. I've seen much tougher dededes up here. They lay good pressure for D3. Not discrediting, I'd have to fight him myself to actually judge though.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Thanks for all of the advice, I just recently saw vids of Aero and some others too and yea there are better Dedede's out there but still this was my FIRST time playing one, don't I get some leniancy or something Lolz?

I definitely have to try out that smash double stick DI, sounds good.

And as far as Seibrik goes, he said himself that and it is his motto that if an opponent cant get around his grab spamming then he will continue to do so. He could have done more stuff but I just didnt know how to punish him for all those grabs :( Hopefully I'll get better though.

And yea we gotta play sometime soon Jason. You good for this week?

More vids coming soon...

-advnt-

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
No sleep for you!!!!!!!! Your gonna stay up and watch my vids LoLz. But yea there my last vids for uploading tonight, so after your done critiquing that one then your allowed to sleep. But until then No Shut Eye For No One. LoLz. :laugh:

-lee-

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I commented in the vid already. Did a rate on what u did the entire moment. Lots of oppurtunities missed cause u had ur priorities mixed up.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
Its REALLY funny how everyone keeps critisizing Seibriks Dedede saying that he is not that good when he just got 3rd at CH4 losing only to M2k and Azen. LOLZ

-advent-

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
Its REALLY funny how everyone keeps critisizing Seibriks Dedede saying that he is not that good when he just got 3rd at CH4 losing only to M2k and Azen. LOLZ
I don't know if you intended to single out anyone, but I'll go ahead and just say that my original statement still stands. Congratulations for Seibrik placing 3rd, but I'd be surprised if he managed to beat either M2K or Azen, seeing that both Meta Knight and Lucario wreck the hell out of D3, especially at higher levels of play. And for all intents and purposes, the Diddy/D3 match-up is the only match-up that Diddy has against a top-tier character that comes very close to being a blowout.

Besides, those matches were uploaded at the beginning of August, meaning that they were actually recorded probably sometime in July. There's a lot of room for improvement in five or six weeks for the both of you, so I don't know why you feel the need to be defensive against the constructive criticism that I and others have offered you here.

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
I'm not defensive about constructive criticism at all, actually I LUV being rated and I'm always looking for room for improvement. Thanks for all the help :)

I was just simply saying that he is not as bad as you guys think. Its just that if you go on the Dedede boards Seibrik receives a lot of heat and hate from them. They say that he is just a random noob that spams grab...

Oh yea just as a side note, today I was playing some friendlies and I decided to use Diddy in all of them without bananas!! I had to change my play style, but I invented a completely new play style with Diddy that SO FAR has proven to be highly effective. I got some of it recorded, vids coming as soon as my friend can put them online. I think its gonna open some eyes and make some people proud :p

-advent-

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I'm not defensive about constructive criticism at all, actually I LUV being rated and I'm always looking for room for improvement. Thanks for all the help :)

I was just simply saying that he is not as bad as you guys think. Its just that if you go on the Dedede boards Seibrik receives a lot of heat and hate from them. They say that he is just a random noob that spams grab...

Oh yea just as a side note, today I was playing some friendlies and I decided to use Diddy in all of them without bananas!! I had to change my play style, but I invented a completely new play style with Diddy that SO FAR has proven to be highly effective. I got some of it recorded, vids coming as soon as my friend can put them online. I think its gonna open some eyes and make some people proud :p

-advent-
yea, im not sure if i told you or someone else this on aim about how i was doing all of my friendlies with diddy without bananas just to buffer up my diddy melee game. It really helped in the teams matches I had at gigs yesterday.

Le_THieN

Smash Lord
probably. i told you alot of things :laugh:
Yeah, I mostly went the nonana route in the tournament I was in this past weekend as well as the majority of my friendly matches almost this entire past month. I've also been playing this style in a ton of wi-fi friendlies with a certain up-and-coming Diddy user from Texas, and it's - so far - yielded some very satisfying results. It's very liberating and expansive to your offensive palette when you're able to knock off top-tier characters with nothing but a solid tilt game. D-tilt has officially become probably my favorite move in recent weeks. =)

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
**Updated**

5 new vids up. Including some Diddy Dittos with Seibrik who just recently picked up the monkey and the vid of my very first time using Diddy :) Just Look for the vids that say ^^NEW^^ right under them.

Enjoy.

-advent-

Advent Lee

Smash Ace
UPDATED!!!!

New match of me vs 8bits snake. Look out for the Peanut Gun Staircase :) All hlep/advice/critiques/BASHMENT is appreciated. Thanks.

-advent-

ADHD

Smash Hero
Getting to good advent. I don't know why you went super aggressive at the end, you can be like that when snake is vunerable for a few seconds but you went at it the entire time that way. That can only lead to him ftilting you or some 3-4 frame ENORMOUS DISJOINTED hitbox hitting you.

Count

Smash Champion
Like wyatt said, you have to play completely different vs snake, at least in my experiences, and you seemed to get a bit aggressive there. But you know this matchup very well so maybe you knew when to turn it on :).

Peanut gun staircase was super sexy :D

Top Bottom