• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice. New findings on the mental aspects of Brawl.

Sky`

Smash Lord
This past weekend I was in Berkeley.

Not for anything in particular, just to hang out really. I was playing some friendlies with Choice, Michael Hey, Mr. Pink, Sean, the works, and it was really fun. However, what was not fun, was losing. Nearly all of the friendlies I lost. And the only times I won, was either because A. They killed themselves, or B. I got lucky.

Not only was it killing my morale, but It was driving the nail in the coffin entitled, "No talent, lol get *****."

Later that night, we stopped by a club for video games, and there happened to be a small Brawl tournament. Akira, a Lucas main in Nor-cal, got first place. (She's pretty **** good. X]) Everybody there was going crazy when we walked in. I was surprised that everybody knew me by name. At first I thought they only knew me because of my videos, but then they began boasting about my peach, more than I could ever imagine. Everybody in the room was essentially giving all of us praise like we were god.

"Oh man, I wanna play with the Real pros!"
"Sean? Is that Sean? Isn't he the best MK in the world?"
"Oh man, Dude Sky's peach, is Legendary. No dude, his peach is WAY better than yours."
"Dude, That guy is playing with one hand! What's his name? Mr. Pink? What the ****?"
"Blow job blow job blow job Sky blow job hand job sex sex sex Sean blow job **** suck **** suck Michael Hey **** suck **** suck **** suck Mr Pink?!?"

Now I'm going to take a break from the story for a second.

This little event has taught me something about getting into the proper mindset of the game.

I've heard this before from somebody else, but I never really considered it until that day.

"If you wanna be good, you gotta front like you're good. You gotta have an Ego."

When I had my head in the clouds, I played on my game. I was focused, attentive, and most importantly, I wasn't playing like I do when I sandbag. I felt like I had to prove something with this seemlingly undeserved praise. And it helped.

We played some teams matches, and I went falco. Akira looked at me and said, "Do you even play falco? Wow!"
I didn't even know I had a falco, but I did have an idea...

I slapped on the tag SK92, and I also made a DEHF one. Switched them around on different battles. Needless to say, My falco was very impressive.

And I think this is another point I'd like to make.

"If it helps, try changing your tag ingame to somebody who you Idolize. It helps that much more, when you win."

It feels like they are there watching you, helping you play. As if they are watching you and you can't dissapoint them. That sort of psuedo-pressure helps progress the learning that you've been doing outside and inside of the game.

Later on that night, we passed by some food places. We walked at least three miles to find food in that god forsaken hell hole people call, 'berkeley'. Ugh. Anyway, we stopped at this place called La Burrita. What a stupid name, with stupid food and a Stuipd Stupid. I got some Stupid Burrito with GUAKOMOLEY in it. And I was so hungry that I didn't care.
<--- Is allergic to Guac.

I hadn't eaten all day. I took one bite.

o terrible read

When we got home and I took one bite, I threw up. I felt horrible all night. I was pissed off. That guy who ordered for me in spanish... ugh. He lied to me. He said there was only Cheese, meat, and some onions or something. And then this *****, comes over, and puts SALSA and That GREEN **** all over it. Did I ask for that *****? No ******. Slaps it on there, so I paid six dollars to start my diet by becoming an anorexic, and all I got were some unsalted, horrible chips.

When I picked up my controller, I was pissed at everything. They weren't friendlies anymore...

they were meanies.

These meanies were srs business. I lost my first friendly which gave me a quick flashback to this morning where I constantly got owned. It was at this point where I said these exact words to myself.

"How DARE he think that he can just beat me with no effort. Does he really think he's just going to sit here and beat me every time we play? ... **** that *****. Nope, No sir. I'm commin for that ***, tonight ******."

It was then, with the aid of Falco and Ice Climbers, I held a record that night of 14-3.

That mindset was invaulable for putting me into the zone. The zone where I can play friendlies and actually improve. I feel like in order for one to improve outside of tournaments, you're going to need to learn how to get into the mindset that LETS you improve.

"Find that 'mood' that you need to focus and improve."

Ever find yourself wasting time in friendlies? It's because you're not playing them right. I think that if you want to be able to improve and grow from the things that you learn, you should play 'meanies' more often. X]

I won't keep you long. But lemme tell you.

Sean, Zex, Choice, Pink, And Michael hey all went to this Berkeley tournament. We all agreed we wouldn't go our mains. We'd all go our seconds.

I found that mood, and I placed third.

1st. Zex (MK, Falco, Snake)
2nd. Michael Hey - Ganon (Not even kidding, X])
3rd. Sky` (Falco, Ice Climbers.)
4th. Choice. (Pit)
5th. Sean. (Snake)
5th. Akira. (Lucas)

This may not been that impressive, considering the conditions.
But I've found some answers to some questions, and I'm ready to give the ol 'be the best' dream one more shot.

Good luck.

=]

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
they were meanies.
I lol'd.

Good thread. I've actually been thinking about this lately. The winning mindset. I do sooo much better when something's on the line or if I'm particularly pissed. We all know the mindset is important, but people really need to think about it a little more. The way you play can drastically change the outcome of the match.

Smash Journeyman
This should probably be in User Blogs...........

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Next time, you'll place with your legendary Peach! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Felt like saying that. ;p Anyway, good read, I guess ;d. An ego and some confidence is actually important in everything. So yeah.

I'm amazing.

:052:

Nanaki

Smash Lord
Pretty fun read :) I especially liked "Blow job blow job blow job Sky blow job hand job sex sex sex Sean blow job **** suck **** suck Michael Hey **** suck **** suck **** suck Mr Pink?!?"

:chuckle:

A big part of being in the right mindset is making yourself analyze what the baddie is doing, instead of focusing on trying to do all kinds of cool **** yourself. That's the rut I usually fall into - it's really easy to do.

altairian

Smash Lord
People don't realize how much their mood affects their focus and desire to win. The best moods for competition (for me at least, but generally true for everyone I believe) is either having tons of fun, or being pissed off in a way that focuses you on everything you're doing. Focus is key, and you need to get yourself in a mood that you can focus on the task of winning if you want to perform at your best.

Kantō

Smash Champion
i just try to have as much fun as possible at tourneys. the better mood im in the better i play i think.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I really enjoyed reading this.
I like the idea of making yourself believe everyone is against you, and your freakin p***ed off at everything.

Lol at the tag name to your idol, that could work :p

soFRESH&soSHEIK

Smash Cadet
seems like every time i read something in the forums, its like holy sh^t i just experienced that! last weekend i found the "mood",i just put my mindset in "my fox game is superior over all of my friends " mode. most winningest of the whole weekend right here :)

Niko_K

Smash Master
Solution to this mental tactic:

Follow the original rules of Melee and don't underestimate people.

But I guess since Brawl is a big act, you may as well act too.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think this is a good thread not enough people put too much stock to how much your mind state can alter your play.

Nic64

Smash Lord
It's fairly old news for those with a Dec 07 or earlier join date xD
Or anyone that's ever been involved in competitive anything.

Unfortunately I'm still bad at heeding the attitude advice...at least I'm aware of it though lol

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
We played some teams matches, and I went falco. Akira looked at me and said, "Do you even play falco? Wow!"
I didn't even know I had a falco, but I did have an idea...

I slapped on the tag SK92, and I also made a DEHF one. Switched them around on different battles. Needless to say, My falco was very impressive.
You should've made one for Xonar

Kantō

Smash Champion
i dont think pikapika or anther would apprecieate me using there tag name hahaha, i think ill stick to my own

NintendoMan07

Smash Journeyman
Good advice, put the execution's gonna be tricky.

See... for me, I feel learn in a learning environment. Simple, no?

The problem is, 15-20 people in attendance at a Smashfest or more than that at a tournament kills that "learning" atmosphere.

So... um, yeah, just the presence of people makes the execution a problem.

Then there's your alternative: Get mad. My problem is... that never happens for me. I get annoyed, but not mad. >_<

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
i think anyone that's ever tried to not fail at life has already realized that mood and mindset affect ability, and if they haven't. . . >_<

get *****, allergic to guacamole. haha, best thing ever.

Nike.

Smash Hero
KDJ was someone who could easily relate to this. MLG Vegas against Ken. He lost a close match one and became furious over how it happened.

Match 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpSBcoad3nU

There is that zone though. We've all experienced it. The problem is trying to feed off that whenever you want.

Tennis is a good example. You go into a match trying to figure out how to outplay the guy on the other side of the net. He calls an obvious point out; You accidentally lob it and he hits an overhead straight at you. Instantly, your intense beyond all reason and your next serve is the best one you've hit in a long time, as well as every ball being hit harder and more accurate.

The biggest challenge is trying to find a way to harness that im gonna beat you adhd and theres nothing your going to do about it mentality. For most of us, anger is what causes it. Some ppl do find ways to control that zone, taking them to levels they once only dreamed of. Dojo found a way through sheer determination and now look at him (last question).

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I wonder if Sade has read this yet... good stuff anyways, I'll try to keep this in mind later on

Cirno

Smash Journeyman
Just a few more tips on mindset altering and mood setting pre-game.

Though I personally don't agree with having an angry thought pattern to inspire your mood, (since I find that's the easiest way to fall into traps, under/over analyze options and jump into the ****) I suppose it can help growth during friendlies in experimentation of a more (assuming) aggressive style to see what works and what certain characters can handle.

If possible, remember to save the replay and review!!

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Um... I try as hard as possible to not have an ego and to be humble (unless my opinion/knowledge is completely disregarded by randoms on the forums). I just do my thing. It's worked pretty well for me.

PS... you should never have lost to a Ganon if you're playing as both ICs and Falco, lol.

EDIT: Being mentally prepared and focused is super important, though.

LLeer

Smash Rookie
I've always found that when I'm miffed, I don't play as well.
Most likely because I'm impatient and all I want to do is kick-***. This generally leads to stupid mistakes (and a lot less dodging).

But you're right, your mindset from the get-go is so important it can change your match all together. It can turn a win into a lose.

Also it makes me feel a lot better to tell myself I lost because I wasn't confident enough, rather than because I sucked. :]

JUDGE

Smash Lord
lol this is a very interestin thread^^
i really enjoyed reading it^^

Sade

Smash Cadet
Excellent read ;O

I heard about the guacamole fiasco; that really sucks. I could tell you were hungry too D:

But yeah. Mood is pretty important. I don't know if I've found the perfect mood, but when I'm **** scared, I usually do really good (or occasionally really bad). But if I'm mad, I just go all offensive which is bad for Lucas. And when I'm just cocky, the match turns from me being ahead by three stocks to me losing.

I'm totally going to use the term "meanies" now. That's pretty legit imo.

I also think that some of the friendlies I did messed my mood up for ActiveGamer's singles pools. FOW beat me in a Lucas ditto and I was just using aggressive tactics. It caught me off guard so much, that I pretty much thought that if I couldn't beat someone's (who doesn't even main Lucas) Lucas, I was gonna suck in general.

-Ran

Smash Master
Interesting thread.

To me, it's about preparation because it breeds confidence. That confidence isn't something that needs to be maintained through anger, it is merely focused by your memory of the work that you put into becoming better. I also find that I measure my opponents based upon who I've played before. For example, if I'm playing against a Meta Knight, I think back to the MKs's I've fought in a tournament. I remember all of the times that I've played against Lee Martin. I then think to myself, "I know all of their tricks, and I've fought one of the best already. They've got nothing on me."

However, I've found that it's hard to get into the competitive mind set for wanting to embarrass my opponents. If you talk with any of the best players of the game, when they play someone they aren't looking to just win. They want to three stock you every time that they play you. From playing [back in the day] sports and doing martial arts, it has been ingrained in me to show restraint when you're clearly winning. The only time I'm able to get over this hump is when I play a FPS where I don't see or interact with the people I'm playing.

'V'

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure all you gotta do is pick a really good character, know the physics and mechanics of the stages and characters and just flat out be better than the other person. That's just my opinion though. =D

altairian

Smash Lord
However, I've found that it's hard to get into the competitive mind set for wanting to embarrass my opponents. If you talk with any of the best players of the game, when they play someone they aren't looking to just win. They want to three stock you every time that they play you. From playing [back in the day] sports and doing martial arts, it has been ingrained in me to show restraint when you're clearly winning. The only time I'm able to get over this hump is when I play a FPS where I don't see or interact with the people I'm playing.
I think your problem is considering 3 stocking someone "embarrassing" them. It's a video game, not really something to get embarrassed over. Just think of it as never letting up. Smash players in general understand that when they lose it's because they got outplayed, and to learn from it rather than be upset about it. Honestly, I'd be more upset if I played against M2K in a tourney and he sandbagged against me and I took two stocks off him than if he 3 stocked me. I want to play people at their best.

Frank West

Smash Apprentice
They want to three stock you every time that they play you. From playing [back in the day] sports and doing martial arts, it has been ingrained in me to show restraint when you're clearly winning. The only time I'm able to get over this hump is when I play a FPS where I don't see or interact with the people I'm playing.
I actually had the same issue. Whenever I would get a commanding lead I had the habit of getting complacent/sandbagging for whatever reason causing a lot of unnecessary comebacks. I've since fixed this problem by keeping in mind, my opponents probably wouldn't do the same if the tables were turned, so don't let up.

Top Bottom