• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice to your younger self

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
be born earlier
and pick fox or falco when you started

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
If I were starting from scratch I'd learn how to play with claw or "keyboard" style (Javi claw). I'd also learn to L-cancel without depressing the shoulder buttons all the way and to JC grab with Y instead of up. If you are just starting out do yourself a favor and learn proper controller technique.
lol, play 64 on keyboard like I did and still do. I can claw in Melee a bit when I want to, it just easily translated from all the 64 I played. It's just I'd rather not lol.

Jagoffian

Smash Journeyman
Start going to tournaments earlier, like circa '06/'07 when you discovered wavedashing, etc. I lived in SoCal and was from the same city as Ken. :(

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I would tell myself not to sell my original copy of Melee and to check out advanced techniques on the internet instead of spending that time playing Runescape.

Insom

Smash Apprentice
I would tell myself not to sell my original copy of Melee and to check out advanced techniques on the internet instead of spending that time playing Runescape.
Oh god Runescape. Or as I like to call it: You cannot Run/Escape.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I didn't get an adapter until like a year and half ago. Also SK respond to your phone lol. I tried sending you a PM or writing you a message but smashboards sucks and I don't know if it went through.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Even if there were some things I could have afforded to know earlier, I probably wouldn't tell myself anything, since all things considered, I'm happy with how I've progressed and what I've learned over the years. Also, I'm afraid of time travel paradoxes.

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
I would tell myself not to get so effing nervous when going to tournies. They're just people! And not to care about losing...

ElloEddy

Smash Journeyman
woulda told myself to start playing in O8 instead of being lasy after i found out about competitive melee , i watched vids but never played untill my friends got bored of brawl and we went back to melee lol in 2012

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
Would of told myself the importance of shield dropping and buffering out of shield. Practice practice. And to play to learn. Not play to win. That I personally think is the most important aspect at getting good at any competitive game.

BSP

Smash Legend
I would tell myself to go to Smashboards much earlier and to pick a top tier. Seriously, pick a top tier >_>

pokemongeof

Smash Lord
If I seriously wanted to say something to my younger self, it would be to start practicing pro techniques. I started play Melee when I was 6, so it would be a GIANT boost if I learned at that age!

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
melee's changed my life for the better

in so many ways

then again, i started playing when i was a ****ing idiot kid

EbAgItachi

Smash Cadet
My advice to my very specific younger self, the one that was at MLG Orlando 06' For Halo 2, yeah....maybe you should walk around the venue a little bit to see what other games are being played besides shooters. Maybe you'll see something that would blow your mind several times over.

I'd be a monster today if I started playing competitively back then :(

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I would tell myself to master the basics and not get sloppy or satisfied with doing some things well enough. L-cancels, Dashdancing, Shuffling,....etc. I feel like for a long time I was lazy with the basic skills and fundamentals and it costs me for awhile.

Top Bottom