• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AE Social Thread

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Thanks to the other social threads on SWF for this idea. This thread is basically for artists on SWF to socialize with others. Talk about all the different sections of art there is to offer. This includes gfx, drawings, paintings, photography, pixels (sprites), vectors, advertisements, photo manipulations, designs, game maps, and much, much more.​

Rules of the AE Social Thread

Rule #1:
Always follow the Global Rules! Read them again if you must!​

Rule #2:

DO NOT FEED.

This is not a zoo. Don't feed the trolls. If somebody becomes an issue, just report them to a mod. You may also PM me if there is an issue, but I'll just go ahead and call a mod myself.​

Rule #3:
Stay on topic. Don't randomly hop on this thread and start posting about some artist you met today. Join the current conversation before posting something completely different from the topic​

Rule #4:
When someone speaks of art, they're not always talking about gfx. Take a chance to explore the different types of artwork. Art ≠ gfx, but gfx = art. It's like a square and a rectangle. ^_^​

Rule #5
Don't come into this thread from another section of SWF looking for a conversation to join. This thread is for artists and artists only. We know if who you are, and if you've contributed to the Artwork Emporium. I'm just trying to belittle the spam that will appear in this thread. Remember, only post in this thread if you've contributed to the Artwork Emporium before.​

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Rule 5 sounds quite patronizing to me. >_>
I just looked at the rules from the OTL Lounge and threw them onto here. The rules say that you should only post there if you have contributed to the OTL before. Basically, if you have posted in the AE before, or understand any form of art, you should be allowed to post here.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I don't know if this will work out, it will be great if it does, and understandable if it doesn't.

Enforcing the rules will be fun:)
So what's the first thing to talk about?

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if this will work out, it will be great if it does, and understandable if it doesn't.

Enforcing the rules will be fun:)
So what's the first thing to talk about?
Hopefully it does work out, the only other source of socializing between us artists is through the critique topic. (Infractions, anyone?)

Let's talk about how dead the AE is now...

Spire

III
BRoomer
Well...

We [may] need a sub-forum for Sig makers.

I'm utterly disgusted with how few artists actually visit, post their work, and critique one another. The majority of people that visit the AE are either signature makers (which is not an art, sorry buggers), or those who thirst for a fancy-shmancy sig. However, with the new rule that your sig cannot be longer than your actual post (otherwise you will suffer an infraction) has really been detrimental to the sigger society, and that's a godsend. This also opts thsoe with large sigs to actually post lengthy, worthwhile posts rather than one-liners.

Now, aside from that, I have been painting for about three years now - seriously for a year and a half. While it's quite a controversial aspect, I'd like to hear your artist statements about your current body of work, or whatever type of path you are pursuing. What motivates you? What interests you? What do you aim to accomplish with your work? Please, I'd love to know.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Right now I'm like straddling the fence between paintings and digital works.

I like the color interactions that are created in paintings--blending and harmony and whatnot. A lot of digital art I see is hard edged or vector based, but I'm trying to make digital works with more painterly qualities. I just finished a piece about an hour ago and I like the end result, so I'ma try to continue in that direction.

A bunch of us should just flood the Official Critique Topic with nonsignature pieces one week and see how people react. :laugh:

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Right now I'm like straddling the fence between paintings and digital works.

I like the color interactions that are created in paintings--blending and harmony and whatnot. A lot of digital art I see is hard edged or vector based, but I'm trying to make digital works with more painterly qualities. I just finished a piece about an hour ago and I like the end result, so I'ma try to continue in that direction.

A bunch of should just flood the Official Critique Topic with nonsignature pieces one week and see how people react. :laugh:
I'm up for this. =)

@Spire: Completely agree with this. Tag artists have dominated the internet art community for years. I partially agree with tag making not being an art. Tags contain aspects of art that only experienced artists understand, but the creativity in tags can only go so far. Most C4Ds are made by other people, renders can be found anywhere on the internet, and other applications such as font and brushes can also be found on a lot of gfx sites. Other types of art (such as painting) involve much more skill and creativity, assuming you're not doing self-portraits or using a reference.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
This is how I view the signatures vs "Art" Discussion.

I'll use a comparison if you will.

http://images.artnet.com/artwork_images_425_179645_romero-britto.jpg
Britto's work "commercial"

vs

http://www.creativityspot.com/pics/Mona Lisa (Gioconda) by Leonardo Da Vinci.jpg
The freakin mona lisa "visual"

Also, I view sig making more of a "commercial art." I can agree with it to a degree,
since I am going into graphic design and it is my major. However, as we all,
(but some may not) know is that the difference between Commercial art and
Visual art is Commercial art, we do something with the intent of being praised
whether it be by money, verbal, or a chin nod. Visual art however is usually done
for the artist themselves, and if they get praised in any of those aspects, it is merely
a plus.

I do hope more visual artists would post here, in the mean time I visit a certain chan site *cough /IC/ *cough* to browse other artists' work.

Neon Ness

Also, I view sig making more of a "commercial art." I can agree with it to a degree,
since I am going into graphic design and it is my major. However, as we all,
(but some may not) know is that the difference between Commercial art and
Visual art is Commercial art, we do something with the intent of being praised
whether it be by money, verbal, or a chin nod
. Visual art however is usually done
for the artist themselves, and if they get praised in any of those aspects, it is merely
a plus.
Yeah, this reminded me of something I'd been thinking about before. A lot of times in the Official Critique Topic I get the feeling people post things not actually for advice, but to receive praise. I'm prolly wrong, but... eh, it's just a feeling I get sometimes... Because a lot of posters don't repost with evidence that they've actually taken the advice and edited the work.

But the only way we're going to get things besides signatures is to just start posting stuff. For once I want to see a post that says "Hey! Critique this typography piece, por favor!" or "Lemme know what you think of this musical score." Just something, anything besides a signature so we get some variety, and maybe attract more attention to the AE.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this reminded me of something I'd been thinking about before. A lot of times in the Official Critique Topic I get the feeling people post things not actually for advice, but to receive praise. I'm prolly wrong, but... eh, it's just a feeling I get sometimes... Because a lot of posters don't repost with evidence that they've actually taken the advice and edited the work.

But the only way we're going to get things besides signatures is to just start posting stuff. For once I want to see a post that says "Hey! Critique this typography piece, por favor!" or "Lemme know what you think of this musical score." Just something, anything besides a signature so we get some variety, and maybe attract more attention to the AE.
I usually don't show the edited versions of my signatures. If the sig is liked by other artists, I usually thank them for the critique and decide whether or not I like it, and if I should use it as my default. If the tag is not liked by most of the other artists, I usually decide whether or not I like it, then trash it. All critique I receive in the OCT is shown in other pieces I make after that sig.

Notice I put whether or not I like a tag I make or not. Even if a tag you make is flamed with criticism or stuff like "trash it", you shouldn't just automatically trash it. If you like it, that's all that matters.

@the other side of your post:

Sounds like a decent idea. My idea was to create a social group with a strike against making anymore sigs. I'm sure most people won't care, but if we get most of the AE to join, that'll give artists of other forms the chance to fill the OCT with various other types of pieces. I also like Spire's idea of having a seperate section for tag making. That way, the AE won't be flooded with shops and thousands of smashers looking for a sig with their mains, their name, and blood splatters covering it. (Stereotypical request from most of the shops from here.)

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I agree with the notion of putting more artwork. Sadly with school and my gf i don't get to do much extra works for my spare time, so most anything i have is actual graphic design work =x

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I agree with the notion of putting more artwork. Sadly with school and my gf i don't get to do much extra works for my spare time, so most anything i have is actual graphic design work =x
This WAS my problem too, but now that it's summer, I'm gonna have a lot more free time for drawings, painting, etc.

toon_marth

Smash Ace
Well...

We [may] need a sub-forum for Sig makers.

I'm utterly disgusted with how few artists actually visit, post their work, and critique one another.
If I had the cords to my scanner I'd be posting my drawings more often.

And I completely agree with this. Or maybe better yet we could have a sub-forum for digital art period, so the good old-fashioned artists can have a forum not bogged down with digital art. No offense to you photoshoppers and sig makers.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna go ahead and make a social group asking for a signature making sub-forum. I don't think have a digital art sub-forum would be good, considering the whole discussion began because signature makers have taken over the AE. Photographers and other digital artists shouldn't have to share a room with an art that is flooding the AE.

EDIT: Just got the group up. Link's in the OP.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I joined the group. <3

I'd post more often in this room, but as you know this place is absolutely dominated by sig makers. (and I can't CnC/make sigs for my life) It isn't a bad thing, but you know, it's cool to have something else to look at for a while. I honestly suck at drawing or any of that stuff, but you can look at these following links to see some of the stuff I made about a year ago. Man, I thought those were awesome back then. :laugh:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/kingdaydayday/SamusAran.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/kingdaydayday/KINGDAYDAYDAY.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/kingdaydayday/Bowser.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/kingdaydayday/Yoshi.jpg

toon_marth

Smash Ace
I'm gonna go ahead and make a social group asking for a signature making sub-forum. I don't think have a digital art sub-forum would be good, considering the whole discussion began because signature makers have taken over the AE. Photographers and other digital artists shouldn't have to share a room with an art that is flooding the AE.

EDIT: Just got the group up. Link's in the OP.
I guess so. I'll join.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
I joined the group. <3

I'd post more often in this room, but as you know this place is absolutely dominated by sig makers. (and I can't CnC/make sigs for my life) It isn't a bad thing, but you know, it's cool to have something else to look at for a while. I honestly suck at drawing or any of that stuff, but you can look at these following links to see some of the stuff I made about a year ago. Man, I thought those were awesome back then. :laugh:

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/kingdaydayday/SamusAran.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/kingdaydayday/KINGDAYDAYDAY.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/kingdaydayday/Bowser.jpg
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn218/kingdaydayday/Yoshi.jpg
Haha, awesome job on those, Naked. Especially the D3 penguin. =P

And thanks for joining. You too toon_marth.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
omg i laughed at those nakededede, thought they were cute, well. the d3 and samus ones. bowser i lol'd

I also joined the group. yay~

Thundermistress

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm, I really should be more active. :x

I've just been reading through the ideas on the first page and I really do agree with all of them. Although in the past the AE did have a big tag-making community, I think we were all a lot more open to other forms of art and were a much...friendly bunch.

I do like the idea of having a new sub-section for tag-makers and will bring this up in the staffer shack.

I actually got asked the other day if I even draw as a mod of the AE. Heh. I did much more in the past but have migrated more towards photography in the past couple of years. :] Although of course that doesn't stop me getting out my pencils and paper every now and again.

I cant help it if I think your funny when your mad
Hello FDV, Thundermistress.
This is a great idea, should have been thought of before. If we have a topic for the signature creators, we can also put all of the shops in there, so that we aren't flooding the original, and so that people that would like to show off their drawings/pictures/etc can do that without all of the attention towards the tag makers. I see this as a great opportunity for the AE so that we can all have a little more breathing room.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Hey, AE. Trying to get more involved, considering that I get out of school in less than a week, and I'll have plenty more time for creativity.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Nice to hear your input Virg and TM! I'm excited for the revamping of the AE. It's as good as if Billy Idol and Bon Jovi co-covered Highway to the Danger Zone.

Actually, I don't know about that... There's so much cheese in that idea that it might flood the AE and the rest of the internet world.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Whoa, a revamp. I can't say I actually saw it coming this soon.

Can't wait to see what's in store.

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
I am very excited by the update, this place has been quite dead for a while, and its bugged me, because I actually had a lot of fun way back when, when everyone was active... (or more so than today...)

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
ITT: Your favorite types of art. D:

Mine would have to be animation, gfx, photography, and claymation.

Neon Ness

Animation definitely... I really like how my last stop motion turned out... though it should've been longer. I wish more people would get into stop motion.

I also like photography but I'm terrible at it. :p

Digital works are definitely my favorite though, just because of the wide range of stuff you can do with it. Sound, animation, paintings, photomanipulation, collage, design, vectorwork, typography... the list goes on and on. Even though my laptop crashes a lot I dunno how I'd function without it.

Top Bottom