• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aerial Rave Major (LAINNNN)(Brawl+MELEE)(250$ BONUS) 11/7/09 Collinsville IL.

TP

Smash Master
As for Twilight Prince, he talks about Balanced Brawl all the time because he mains Ganon (the worst character in the game) and Balanced Brawl makes him better... it's as simple as that.
And you only bash it because you use top tier characters.

We both know that isn't true, and I do NOT support BBrawl due to it helping Ganon. In reality, my using Ganon and my supporting BBrawl come from a common cause: wanting to enjoy the game as much as possible. Ganon is the most enjoyable character to play, and for me BBrawl is the more enjoyable game.

However, this is getting off topic. On the other hand, when the discussion was on topic people were yelling at each other. >_>

:034:

ook

Smash Lord
I know I didn't come to this and all, but

A last note, of course, is that probably much unlike for SFIV, Chicago really doesn't have a Brawl scene of any form at all. I am not from Chicago so I'm not familiar with the politics of why that happened, and it is probably best that I don't speculate. So the tournament being out in Illinois was actually moving it farther away from people, not closer.
Chicago does have a pretty active Brawl scene. There's a tournament coming up in 2 weeks that has almost 50 people coming so far.

I dunno but I think some people didn't come because of BBrawl, then it was kinda too late notice when it was switched.

anyway sorry to hear

and good **** Ripple

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Pretty much everywhere, people just play normal Brawl 90% of the time.
More like 99.9% of the time. 90% of smashboards has never even heard of Bbrawl. I've never even been to (or heard of) a tournament where it was even a side event anywhere besides AR. AR is currently the only tournament in the world running Bbrawl as far as I know.

Ok.. Think and Milk have worked this out, so lets stop beating a dead horse. I'm very glad we still get to have ARs. Thank you milk.

*ressullltttttttss!!*

(The first tournament I ever ran came up $200 short and I had to steal it out of the pot! Imagine how mad that made everyone)

And Jeff is right. I hosted a 38 person tournament at Murry State KY and only 3 had a smashboards account ( I think they all had under 10 post too).

Teh Future

Smash Master
Yeah Zoze, and how many people were actually good?

smashboards = competitve smash.

Look at tourney results.

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
5th

All have active smashboards accounts. random people from chicago? dead last. Im not saying this because I think it is a cool website, Im saying this because it's true.

Jeff Im not trying to bash you or anything, I'm just don't understand trying to organise a major SSBB tourney after running a local tournament scene for maybe 6 months which wasn't even very successful aside from the first event.

Even if this was properly hyped as a regular brawl event I doubt there would be 50 entries because it's based in St. Louis. We aren't a very well known region and big tournaments don't happen in state unless you are Texas or California for obvious reasons.

I do think we are better off running our own tournaments so stuff like this doesn't happen. But I guess that would just divide the local scene even more since Im "not allowed" at Arieal Raves just for saying spending $1000 on a tournament for a game you've been running for 6 monthes is a bad idea.

I'm sorry to sound like a ****, but Im not just going to post "oh that sucks, Im sorry you lost money" when I have nothing to be sorry for.

The Milk Monster

Smash Champion
Future, you're cool and all, but seriously, just drop it.

Kyle/Me/Jeff got it sorted out, and we still have tournaments.

I don't think Rauleen and I would have the money to run a tourney, depending on where/how often we hosted, let alone multiple months in a row.

You don't have to apologize for losing Jeff money, it's not you, or Kyle, or my fault. Nothing we could've done about it.

The reason he included Brawl at this, was because he knew Kyle and I were really wanting to make this work, and we were included in all the previous AR's. So why not include at this one?

So dude, just drop it. We still have a venue to host at, and we don't have to pay out the **** for it. Calm yourself.

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
And you only bash it because you use top tier characters.

We both know that isn't true, and I do NOT support BBrawl due to it helping Ganon. In reality, my using Ganon and my supporting BBrawl come from a common cause: wanting to enjoy the game as much as possible. Ganon is the most enjoyable character to play, and for me BBrawl is the more enjoyable game.
I really hate how people outside of the community like Kurasa / others will read this and actually think that you are credible on this subject or actually know what you are talking about at all.

That's so sad to me...

I dunno but I think some people didn't come because of BBrawl, then it was kinda too late notice when it was switched.

This.

More like 99.9% of the time. 90% of smashboards has never even heard of Bbrawl. I've never even been to (or heard of) a tournament where it was even a side event anywhere besides AR. AR is currently the only tournament in the world running Bbrawl as far as I know.

This.

BBrawl hurts the community by confusing new players and trying to convince them that they need to hack their Wii to play a "better game" that is not even as "balanced" as the real thing.

More importantly, again, less than 5 people in this scene even care about it at all. All of this problematic nonsense is the result of a handful of people going on and on about this mod that NO ONE cares about or wants in the first place.

If people want to hold side events, that's fine, I have no problems with that. What I have a problem with and am freaking sick of is all of this stupid mod crap causing so much commotion in our local scene.

What happened here is EXACTLY the kind of thing that I am always talking about... it's ridiculous that I still even need to explain why BBrawl or Brawl+ MAIN EVENTS are a bad idea.

If you really have problems with Chain Throws / Grab releases / whatever BBrawl "fixes", then you:

a) shouldn't be playing a competitive game to begin with and don't realize that every competitive game out there has similar issues

b) probably aren't very good and don't know how to avoid / deal with them

c) probably can't even do any of the techniques that you are complaining about so you have no idea how they actually work anyway

d) are delusional and think that trying to convince the ENTIRE COMMUNITY to hack their Wii and CHANGE FROM THE REAL GAME is a better solution than just learning how to play in the first place

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen... don't try to convince everyone to let you install your own equipment... just get out.

TP

Smash Master
Metal, I've already said to Kyle that he should not run BBrawl as a main event or try to and getting bigger turnouts for regular tournaments is more important. I WANT BBrawl to replace regular Brawl, but I'm not stupid. The STL scene is far more important to me than BBrawl.

Future, what does it matter that the people who aren't on smashboards came in last? Do you understand how money works?

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
*results and videos please* Issue has been resolved, so I don't know why we're fighting. Let's leave the past in the dust.

lain

Smash Master
I really hate how people outside of the community like Kurasa / others will read this and actually think that you are credible on this subject or actually know what you are talking about at all.

That's so sad to me...

This.

This.

BBrawl hurts the community by confusing new players and trying to convince them that they need to hack their Wii to play a "better game" that is not even as "balanced" as the real thing.

More importantly, again, less than 5 people in this scene even care about it at all. All of this problematic nonsense is the result of a handful of people going on and on about this mod that NO ONE cares about or wants in the first place.

If people want to hold side events, that's fine, I have no problems with that. What I have a problem with and am freaking sick of is all of this stupid mod crap causing so much commotion in our local scene.

What happened here is EXACTLY the kind of thing that I am always talking about... it's ridiculous that I still even need to explain why BBrawl or Brawl+ MAIN EVENTS are a bad idea.

If you really have problems with Chain Throws / Grab releases / whatever BBrawl "fixes", then you:

a) shouldn't be playing a competitive game to begin with and don't realize that every competitive game out there has similar issues

c) probably can't even do any of the techniques that you are complaining about so you have no idea how they actually work anyway

d) are delusional and think that trying to convince the ENTIRE COMMUNITY to hack their Wii and CHANGE FROM THE REAL GAME is a better solution than just learning how to play in the first place

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen... don't try to convince everyone to let you install your own equipment... just get out.
I feel like you just made a bagillion post of "BBrawl is balls and consfusing/tainting the youth". Im pretty sure they've already realized they ****ed up and get the big picture. Stating the EXACT same thing repeatedly is kind of just insult to injury. Drop it home slice.

I have a whole new level of respect for Kurasa after seeing this **** go down, Heads would have rolled if I was in his shoes. Nice try though guys, I know you guys busted your *** on this and Im going to put a bigger effort on getting some better turnout for future aerial raves.

lain

Smash Master

That's so sad to me...

This.

This.

I feel like you just made a bagillion post of "BBrawl is balls and consfusing/tainting the youth". Im pretty sure they've already realized they ****ed up and get the big picture. Stating the EXACT same thing repeatedly is kind of just insult to injury. Drop it home slice.

I have a whole new level of respect for Kurasa after seeing this **** go down, Heads would have rolled if I was in his shoes. Nice try though guys, I know you guys busted your *** on this and Im going to put a bigger effort on getting some better turnout for future aerial raves.

Edit: This is Legan BTW

MetalMusicMan

Sleepwalk our lives away.
Well, this is something that I was trying to make sure never happened. Obviously people didn't listen or understand and look what happened. Now that it happened, I'd like to make sure that it never happens again, ever.

If you want to perceive it as an insult to injury scenario, fine--I don't mind--but it deserves to be pointed out to ensure that this kind of thing never happens again, especially considering that it never should have happened in the first place.

Teh Future

Smash Master
Look, I didn't mean to sound like an a-hole when I posted anything. Obiviously that's how it came out for some reason, but its not what I meant. I really do appreciate Jeff hosting tournaments and all Im saying is that he went about it the wrong way. ok, everyone's got that and everyone's posted their opinions so let's just stop posting about it and put this stupid crap behind us.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
Everyone quiting: DON'T QUIT!!! local STL tourneys will still happen and the dumb **** that happened at this tourney won't. Kurasa doesn't understand the smash scene and him loosing money is in a HUGE part his own fault. Him dropping smash is definitely going to be good for the local scene and theres no reason to quit when everyone has a good time going to the tourneys.
Hi guys,

I am one of Jeff's sponsors, and I work with all gaming communities, fighters, shooters, MMO's, RTS - it doesnt matter to me, we have fun with all of them.

We love our SF community, we love our Brawl communities...to me in the end its about playing the games we love and competiting in the games we excel in.

with that said, I wanted to chime in to the above. While I have already read through most of the posts and see that Future to a degree had realized his error in his post. My point is not about Future, rather your post future is my example.

Jeff is a great guy and really thinks like I do, support all gaming communities bring everyone together - Let them play - if you will...

The Venue fees aside and covering events is a risk, in this scenario it cost him a little bit. While that hurts a bit, he will be fine and we move on. The point here overall, while the drudgery of argument continues about validity of a game, is a simple point. The Smash community as a whole had all the tools in their hand to make this happen for them, there were even extra CRT's we (GPX) brought in for you guys at Jeff's request.

The folks that ran this aspect did a fine job at event, this goes without question, you ran your tourneys, you organized your space and you tore it down effectively and maintained professionalism, that is always appreciated.

The issue here goes to the heart of the problem, and this is the only reason I am posting my message - as an organizer of hundreds of events myself I like to incorporate everyone in as many communities as possible and I like to put the tools in the hands of those groups to do what they need.

In this case Jeff provided the location, and also provided a bonus pot.

The remainder is in the hands of this community. There is toooo much drama, if I may be allowed to use the word in this community. Why? and for what reason?

It really does not matter whether you used Brawl, Brawl+ or BBrawl....you guys were able to really setup whichever titles you chose, while my understanding is there were changes made in some degree as to which title was the main with bonus - that does not change the fact that you can still come and gather and hold the tourneys for your communities.

Do you guys understand where I am coming from with this?

The place is provided, come and play - that simple. whichever title is made main, fine - hold the other tourneys yourselves in the same space and organize, its not as easy at it sounds, but all good things like this take work guys.

EDIT: If your only supporting your own community when money is involved you will have to work within the confines of he who gives it, and that means you need to play nice with them...if the community does not come when no money is involved, my opinion on this is simple - you just have no real love of your game.

I hope that all these issues can be resolved within all your communities here in St. Louis and surrounding, there are a lot of great people here, who cares about Brawl or SF as separate communities - you are all gamers...that unites you all - act like it...wait..you guys know what I mean.

If solutions have been resolved to a degree behind the scenes for this I hope to be able to help in anyway shape or form, for me I speak in many languages - I am fluent in Finance, to make sure this is not dangerous for Jeff and I l33t 5p3ak to make sure the gamers are happy...

If I can see the middle ground, there is no reason the rest of you can't. Blame is no longer a necessity - Learning from the experience, growing from it, accepting personal responsibilities, adapting to make things better, and then making it happen are whats important.

I retreat now back to watching Jeff play Magic at a local Comic shop as I work on my own events. I wish you all well.

TP

Smash Master
I retreat now back to watching Jeff play Magic at a local Comic shop as I work on my own events. I wish you all well.
If he uses a Jund deck, I lost all respect for him. Either way, I'll take him out with my green-white landfall deck. Turn 3 Iona FTW. :laugh:

Good post man. Good to see more people who can stay calm about everything.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
If he uses a Jund deck, I lost all respect for him. Either way, I'll take him out with my green-white landfall deck. Turn 3 Iona FTW. :laugh:

Good post man. Good to see more people who can stay calm about everything.

Oh! HYPE that! lol I'm making him look it this...right...now...lol

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
I miss playing DnD in NYC - stopped around the release of the Al Quadim Series. LOOOooong time ago. lol

Jeff is still summarily defeating everyone here. Clutch win his last round though.

Zozefup

Smash Lord
Where are the results and videos for this??

Lain, of course.
This tournament was nuts! Ripple was in losers and had to play lain for the grand finals. Ripple won the first set and knocked Lain into losers. Then Ripple almost won the second set too. The final set was 2-3: lain barely won.

That was one of the closest grand finals I've ever seen in person.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ALL TOURNAMENT VIDEO ARE UP!

friendlies still to come

alt-F4

Smash Ace
I'm really sorry i couldn't make it to this guys, two of my long time friends just got married and are moving to england. So instead of coming to this I was at their reception/going away party. Hopefully next AR I will be good enough to turn some heads, I think I am really starting to get this game... finally.

Legan wants to start playing SF4 so maybe i will try my hand at that.... I'm gonna need a lot of practice though.

Moadib_GPX

Smash Apprentice
I have never been able to play Any of these, my little Brother constantly tries to get me to play, but I am what I like to say brawl ********, I enjoy watching other people play well though.

Top Bottom