• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

After a Down Throw?

Chaos27

Smash Apprentice
Hey I use G&W as my second main and i was wondering whats the best thing to do or use after you do a down throw and they attack instead of rolling? I try shielding and try to grab them again but the hit pushes me back.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Here's what I'd do: put up your shield and hold it. If they roll to the right, shorthop out of the shield and try to hit them with a Nair or Fair. If they roll to the left, shorthop and try to hit with Bair. If they get up on the spot, try to grab them again, and if they use a get up attack, shield it and grab.

shorthop may be too slow or high to do it effectively though, but give it a try.

Bronze

Smash Journeyman
He already said that he tried that :p If you definately can't stay close enough to them that you can grab, then you'll just have to work around that. See it coming and theres the tried and tested mindgame of jumping and hitting them with a d-air. Perhaps charging say a d-smash would clash with the get up attack and then d-smash again? If they pause for a second before doing a get up attack then you can always hit them with whatever you want.

Tranzworld

Smash Apprentice
He already said that he tried that :p If you definately can't stay close enough to them that you can grab, then you'll just have to work around that. See it coming and theres the tried and tested mindgame of jumping and hitting them with a d-air. Perhaps charging say a d-smash would clash with the get up attack and then d-smash again? If they pause for a second before doing a get up attack then you can always hit them with whatever you want.

Charding a D-Smash works well, I also find that Hammering works somewhat well (and it scares them usually...) I personally like to Shorthop Dair, works quite well.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Jump and do something like a D-air or B-air.

Better yet, don't give your opponent a chance to recover if they miss the tech. You can immediately do a Jab combo, D-tilt, D-smash, and I believe you can also land Judgement and Oil Panic.

chckn

Smash Ace
Personally at low percents i like to dsmash right after dthrow and if it clashes go with a dsmash again

EToaster

Smash Apprentice
I've mostly been following it up immediately with a DTilt, but I might try some other stuff, since apparently it works. =)

$PITE

Smash Journeyman
Some opponents instinctively roll away from you after a downthrow - abuse this until they figure it out by simply walking forward and using a Forward Smash.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
G&W and Snakes Dthrow is all about teh mindgraines. Train your opponent to do one thing, and then punish them.

When you down throw and they getup attack, sometimes it will push back your shield, simply drop your shield and Fsmash, dropping your shield is way quicker than it was in Melee

Yakt-NJ

Smash Cadet
I find that the dsmash is a solid option if you aren't looking to play mindgames. Of course, making them think you are going to dsmash and then pulling out something different is perfectly acceptable. Perhaps jumping away and coming back with a fair, bair, or key could be a good way to provide some follow up damage.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
I've only seen one person tech my dthrow, I know its possible but not that easy. Assuming they dont tech (they rarely do ) can you just Dsmash them?

omegablackmage

Certified Lion Rider
yeah it is definitely possible to tech it with a little bit of practice, so don't get too used to being able to just downsmash as people will soon get good at teching the downsmash. The good news is is that if peope do start to do this, you don't have to worry about them hitting you, so it becomes a simple read which was he's moving and follow up.

BoG

Smash Journeyman
I usually immediate use a C-stick D-smash, there is often enough time to get it off. I'm not so good at following it up once they figure me out, however. Short hop attacks work.

liverymen

Smash Apprentice
the dthrow is techable, maybe a bit difficult to do with wifi lag but still doable.
Also, if you're opponent spams left or right on the control stick they can roll away before the Dsmash goes off without even needing to tech . Which is why I personally just do the jab (air pump?) out of dthrow. But that also sucks because they can DI the dthrow to land behind you so the jab combo wont hit. I guess you could just turn around and start the jab combo. But it never does more than 10% ish to people who DI out of it.
In my conclusion.... you can punish people who don't know how to escape the dthrow really well. Against people who know how to escape it, your only option is to jab or attempt a chase. I guess that's not a bad set up at all, it's a better situation than most other character's grabs get xD

Top Bottom