• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide Aftermath's Guide to Samus

IM_A_HUSTLA

Smash Journeyman
I know ur not supposed to reaslly combo w/ samus but i need something to practice and learn to make my own,

so if u can gimme like few combos it would be VERY nice!

Aftermath

Smash Champion
The best combo moves are fair and uair in my opinion since when you hit someone with it, it can be difficult to DI out of, and with or without DI, the opponent just kind of hovers in the air in stun afterwards, meaning you can follow them up easily with sex kicks and such.

Samus's ftilt and dtilt also combo well, the dtilt is easy to combo out of with a strong aerial. With ftilt it's more situational, to combo you have to have caught them off guard with it, so that you can WD towards them and follow it up, otherwise they can shield or might have teched away.

I don't think Samus is a character that has many preset combos, but rather her high priority on many of her fast attacks means that you can interrupt the opponent a lot of the time, and because of that, their DI will often be less than perfect. From there, the Samus follows up with a couple attacks and deals out 10-25% and tries to end with a good finishing hit. I recommend watching some Samus videos of HugS and seeing what he does in certain situations, because he really exemplifies the opportunistic method of playing Samus to its fullest and obviously gets great results.

So yeah, to sum that up, it's not about doing giant Fox-like combos or Ken combos with Samus, but rather knowing when you have an opening for a few critical attacks and when doing so, knowing when to end it and not get punished for being a little greedy.

__HARM__

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you should add something in the up b section. it is very useful against falco because it comes out faster that the shine and ruins most of his combos. Awsome guide
and also awesome video. After seeing the double missle cancel by you i can now do it 100% of the time for uber spamming.

Wreckless

Smash Journeyman
How do you sheild drop? and the "isai drop"? Also how do you do pivot smashes and tilts? I need it to be broken down cuzz my friend couldnt explain these well enough. message me :]

p.s. how do you stop peach and roys upB onto the edge? and other characters beside using the light sheild over the edge?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
For the shield drop, you just have to hit down on the control stick at a certain speed. If you practice it a bunch, you can get the feel for doing it. The Isai drop is when you land normally (meaning you weren't in any sort of animation when you landed) you usually can't fall through a platform until you see your character fully stand up from the landing animation. However, you can move or do anything after only 4 frames of said landing animation, so Isai discovered that if you walk forward slowly one frame and then drop through, you save a ton of time when doing so. So yeah, it's like Land -> Push left or right a tiny bit, just to start a walk -> Hit down to fall through the platform.

Pivoting is done during a dash dance. There's one frame that your character will be turning around on during a dash dance (easy to see with Marth especially) and if you do an attack on that frame, you'll have turned around and be doing that attack. It's good for when you need to scoot back a tiny bit (at least with Samus), but a WD would be too slow.

I just angle the fsmash downwards to hit through upBs. Other good things if you have time might be to bomb on the edge, edgehog to make them go above the edge, then stand up dsmash or edgehop a bair or something. The thing to remember is that Utilt and Ftilt aren't disjointed enough to hit through those, so if you want to actually hit it, a fsmash is your best best.

Wreckless

Smash Journeyman
sweeettt thanxxxx :] and can you explain when and how to do the pivoting moves. Like my friend said to dash 1st, then you do the move 1st and turn around. >> right>A(f-tilt)>left<< like almost the same time as where you want the direction to be, but do the move just a little bit sooner than the direction you want to tilt.

Is it like that?

like during the intial dash, they can turn around and do a move. Hugs does this...

Aftermath

Smash Champion
It's you hit one direction, back the other way to turn around, then one frame after that you hit A. So it's pretty much you hit the direction to turn around and A at the same time. If you practice in training mode in 1/4 speed you can see how it's done pretty clearly.

Samarth Bowsertwo

Smash Rookie
I just want to say "wow".
I'm impressed with your going-under-stages-and-surviving skills (and of course with your fighting, wave-dashing, edge-guarding, etc.).
PoF rules!
cool

Neogeek23

Smash Cadet
I would just like to make a suggestion for the samus vs. sheik battles. I've found that when sheik charges you if you run at her and just before you meet crouch and dtilt, you have priority over her charge and it opens up great combos. I don't know if this is common knowledge but it eliminates her charging you if she ever tries.

Samus > Sheik

Wreckless

Smash Journeyman
Hey, can you also find information and list them on how to fight a Samus, and a Falco??

*sry for the double post :X didn't realize :D

ssbxBacklash

Smash Apprentice
****, no matter what i cant SHFFMC (short hop fast fall missle cancel, wasnt sure if i abbreviated that correctly), anyone got any tips to make it easier?? would much appreciate it thx :D

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Wreckless, I'm working on an updated version of Jasona's "Samus Basics" so after I finish that I might be able to make some stuff for Samus and Falco matches.

samus456 - A spike is a term in melee that loosely refers to any attack that sends an opponent either straight down or at a very low angle. They are attacks that are generally used over the edge and kill at a low percent because they have high knockback and hit straight down. While there are only a handful of true spikes in the game (Marth and Falco's dair being the most prominent), most meteors (like Samus' dair) are called spikes because it's easier to say.

ssbxBacklash - The SFM is ridiculously hard to get down consistently. I did find a way that is good to practice it and has actually given me about 80-100% consistency.

The very first thing to do is not worry about how fast you are moving your thumb, as you need to go really, really fast, and that just comes in time, but work on finding the best way for you to move your thumb and getting the timing of when to fastfall down (70% of the time that I fail the SFM is probably because I mistimed the fastfall). So go to training mode and work on just SHing up and FFing as soon as you can. From there work on getting your thumb to hit down to FF and go to the left or right immediately after. This is the part that is hardest to explain and also the most important, but is different for every person. So really focus on how your thumb moves and which way goes the fastest.

I'll explain how I do it and how I worked on committing it to muscle memory.

When I need to SFM to the left, my thumb flicks down and a little to the right right, but only about halfway, then goes straight left. I found out that was really fast because of where my thumb is positioned on the control stick, it's just like moving the thumb back and forth, with no middle joint movement.

It took me longer to go the right, as I do a quarter-circle to the right from straight down, and because I'm moving the control stick farther and it's not just a straight motion with my thumb, it took me a while to get the speed. I recently found a little shortcut by adjusting my thumb to need a little less movement, but for the most part it just took time to get the speed.

So I suggest just trying different ways of moving your thumb and making minute changes to how you grip the control stick, and then just make little goals for yourself. Mine were:

• *Find the FF timing
    *FF and start a missile - Work on not laying bombs
    *FF and start a smash missile - This is where it can take a while to gain the speed necessary. If you can't do it at first, don't try to practice continuously. I'd limit it to maybe half an hour a day if you're really committed, that way you don't just get super frustrated 2 hours later when you haven't done it, and you should start seeing improvement in a week or two.
    *FF and shoot a smash missile

Using those steps I was able to get it down over about 2 weeks, maybe 10 hours total and went from maybe 1 in 100 times to 9 out of 10. One thing I still have trouble with is the FF timing when I'm moving, as it just throws me off somehow even though it's no different.

So yeah, that was pretty poorly written, but I'll try to clarify it further if you have any other questions and I'll make a better SFM section in my Samus Basics guide.

ssbxBacklash

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a ton Aftermath. I can actually do it a little better now (like 1/50 o.O). Im still practicing it everyday too. Thanks again for the tips :D.

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys.. I have a small question. I tried looking for it everywhere and forgive me if it is somewhere but... when I use my chain grapple to get back on the edge but miss the sweetspot, how do you air attack immediately after pulling yourself up? I see videos of people doing it, but everytime I try I just float up there vulnerable for attack. Please help! Thanx

Aftermath

Smash Champion
7734 - It's actually a specific trick known as the Beam Cancel. What you do is Rising Grapple near the stage, and if you hit it in the right spot, the stage will "cut" the beam and you'll still have the upward momentum from the Rising Grapple, but you'll be out of lag and able to do attacks. If you're wondering how to do a Rising Grapple, here's how: when you're in the air, airdodge up and then use the grapple as soon as the airdodge starts, you'll fly pretty far upwards with the grapple.

The easiest place to practice Beam Canceling is on FD. If you want a video of it, there's a little part about the Beam Cancel in Mission Briefing (the video linked at the beginning of this guide) and if you search youtub I'm sure stuff will come up.

Smash Journeyman
Wow, that video was awesome. I really liked to part where you're goin under all the levels. I'm gonna have to try that. Props on the site too! Thanks alot.

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
yeah thanks dude you helped me like a million times over i kinda need to find out how to do low missles i hin it's called any advice?

channlsrfr

Smash Apprentice
Any advice for fighting Jigglypuff? I haven't found many videos of this match-up (it may be because I suck at navigating this site's video resources), but I've recently found the combination of wall-of-pain and Jiggly's forward-B's to be a real pain. Jiggly usually spaces her airs well enough so Up-Bing out of your shield won't work, and sometimes it's the same with CC'ing.

Even the few videos I have found involve Wes making amazing technical adaptations to little avail while KillaOR (not dissing him -- I know he's excellent) just aerials the bejesus out of him.

I'm sure a well-balanced and -coordinated offense would help keep Jiggs guessing, but I've yet to figure it out. Any advice?

Aftermath

Smash Champion
Jigglypuff is really annoying to fight. The thing to remember is that you can live longer, but can't use any of your normal ways of abusing that (CCing mainly). so what I do is a lot of missile canceling to make her come close, then use ftilts, utilts, and sex kicks to either trade hits or hit her through her aerials. I just try to make it a match of attrition and not get off the edge (since she can destroy you off the edge). But yeah, I'm really not that great against jigglypuffs, but I would say to experiment with standing your ground and when she goes for a Wall of Pain, use tilts, if she tries to overB you, WD away and fsmash, and after ftilts try to sex kick (since the only thing of hers that outprioritizes it is her bair, which she wouldn't be able to use at that time). But yeah, don't try to play super tricky, it won't get you anywhere, Samus has priority and range on Jiggs, so try to use that.

PIMPSLAP - Are you asking about the missiles that are Missile Canceled near the ground? If so, it just takes some practice to get the timing down for when you start the missile, when it comes out, and when you land.

timmylouwho

Smash Rookie
although i knew this all already...you are a god of samus, and i am happy sombody posseses this knowledge

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
Jigglypuff is really annoying to fight. The thing to remember is that you can live longer, but can't use any of your normal ways of abusing that (CCing mainly). so what I do is a lot of missile canceling to make her come close, then use ftilts, utilts, and sex kicks to either trade hits or hit her through her aerials. I just try to make it a match of attrition and not get off the edge (since she can destroy you off the edge). But yeah, I'm really not that great against jigglypuffs, but I would say to experiment with standing your ground and when she goes for a Wall of Pain, use tilts, if she tries to overB you, WD away and fsmash, and after ftilts try to sex kick (since the only thing of hers that outprioritizes it is her bair, which she wouldn't be able to use at that time). But yeah, don't try to play super tricky, it won't get you anywhere, Samus has priority and range on Jiggs, so try to use that.

PIMPSLAP - Are you asking about the missiles that are Missile Canceled near the ground? If so, it just takes some practice to get the timing down for when you start the missile, when it comes out, and when you land.
thanks thats what i was talking about i will practice thanks :)

Smash Journeyman
This guide really helps! The mission briefing vid is extremely helpful too. I've been Practicing at racing a LHMC across final D. And SHFFMC trying to make Samus top tier! Thanks

PIMPSLAP

Smash Lord
personally against jiggy i just become more aggresive then deffensive build damage quicker and missle her *** off the stages :)
(be patient for her come back you have better luck just completly knocking her off in my personall opinion)

Top Bottom