• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Against Computers

Warchief Lyjalas

Smash Rookie
When people go through minutes or hours of training against lvl 9 computers...
and when they go play against other human players near them
does the training actually do anything?

Denzi

Smash Master
It helps with technical skill, but not application, so it's a good/bad sort of thing. and you can get the "good" just by practicing in Training Mode. So try that instead.

(WiFi helps too.)

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
No not at all.
Wrong. It does do stuff. Just doesn't improve cooperative fighting against other fighters like us on SWF. I mean come on, It's a freakin' CPU. It spins in circles after you've been launch far to the side. Much different from live fighters. Sow download some friend codes, and start Brawling people. If you're new don't worry asking your friends for help. But the truth is that "training" mode can help you get the dam straight techniques down.

Ich Bin Awesome

Smash Journeyman
It can help. You just have to understand the differences between cpu's and humans and train in the right way (i.e. don't punish dumb patterns that cpu's get into over and over and over again because they never learn, unlike real people).

A quote from the M2K interview.....

-What's the most important tactic to learn or prepare with before a tournament..is it mind games, execution, reaction time, or even something else?

M2K:Lol this may sound weird but I mostly got good playing computers and just setting up stuff humans would do most of the time. Example - If I'm MK fighting a computer Snake and I hit them high in the air I would jump toward them early, try to barely hit the top of my Uair, then fast fall early. That way, if I was fighting a HUMAN, they might have air dodged it, but I would be falling with them, so I could usually always react and get them. Just stuff like that, and tech skill. I rarely ever play though, usually only just before a big tourney and that's it ever for the most part. My reaction time isn't even good it's average at best LOL

Dai Tian

Smash Journeyman
It can help. You just have to understand the differences between cpu's and humans and train in the right way (i.e. don't punish dumb patterns that cpu's get into over and over and over again because they never learn, unlike real people).

A quote from the M2K interview.....
And I was just going to say this too.

Fighting CPU's may not increase your skill very much but it will help you get many of the basics of your character down. What they can do under pressure, how to use their mobility, getting used to their range, seeing what moves they can throw out while remaining relatively safe.

CPU's -can- help you out. Just understand that if something works on them consistently that it won't be that way against a human all of the time.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Additionally - and I think this is about the third time I've posted this here today, sorry lol - people will tell you not to play level 9s because you have a high chance of accidentally developing bad habits. Level 1s and, I once heard, level 6s are where it's at.

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
It helps with technical skill, but not application, so it's a good/bad sort of thing. and you can get the "good" just by practicing in Training Mode. So try that instead.

(WiFi helps too.)
Thats real true that training with lvl 9 CPU helps with technical skill, I Think CPUs dont allows you to perform some Tricks but helps in the technical habilities.
WiFi is a good way too, since you have a good internet connection to make the Tricks.

Hiiiiiii

Smash Cadet
I play computers just to get better at timing, dealing with the opponent's recovery, and to help understand my character's movements, lag, power, easiness to dodge, etc.

POKE40

Smash Lord
Yes. The training makes you feel less gloomy when you **** them rather than you getting ***** lol.
So you can at least say you can beat somebody.

Actually the computers help technical skill such as reaction. But humans contain different mind sets and will use many more methods of approach to take you down rather than a computer would. The computers teach you that you must punish as well.

It is very easy to beat computers since all you have to do is punish their attacks and you'll win. Humans make it harder to punish. So watch out.

Ebonyks

Smash Apprentice
High level cpu's powershield in situations that are extremely unlikely for a human to use. The general consensus is to practice on level 7.

As others said, computers help with technical skill. They help with improving concepts like spacing, but don't lend too much faith to practice acquired through comps.

thekingsdinner666

Smash Apprentice
Real people - even ones that are worse than lvl 9s - are harder to defeat than CPUs. The reason is because people do things that CPUs don't and they look at Youtube videos.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Fightting CPUs help you learn and apply Techniques and find your playstyle, but CPUs play very diffrent from Humans.
Especially in the way CPUs always recover the same and have a subtle pattern in diffrent situations, dont get used to them.

Volts

Smash Cadet
I would say that it helps with the development of skills, but it doesn't teach you the proper application of it. Like you can learn how to doge and short hop and figure out some basic combos, yet you can't learn what are going to be typical tactics for certain characters as the CPUs do a lot of thing that human players wont. (Like Dedede using his dash attack.)

Top Bottom