• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aggressive vs. Defensive - An in depth look into G&W playstyles

Noa.

Smash Master
I think that some people are misunderstanding the meaning of the hybrid playstyle. I'll repeat it again:

Hybrid is not playing aggressive during some parts of the matchup and defensive during others.

That would be more of a mix.

Hybrid is itself it's own playstyle. It takes some traits from aggressive, some from defensive and adds some new traits. It's a hybrid. Not a combination. We fuse both aggressive and defensive to play hybrid. Please keep this in mind.

Plus, we haven't truly defined hybrid. Please post what your definition of hybrid is. Mine is this:

And hybrid is not playing aggressively in some parts of the matchup and defensively in others. It's more about waiting around/near your opponent with jumps and bair. It's mostly just looking for openings in your opponent's game. IT's the middle ground between aggressive and defensive. But we need a more congenial definition for the community.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Double jump up air?

PhantomX has done it several times to me, I don't really like sitting in my shield ever against his wario. I just make walls with nair.
yeah most everyone can punish you out of shield if you Up-B straight up or towards them.

If you upB away from them out of shield then that's a different story.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
Updated the OP with a few thoughts for the last few pages. I'm going to spend some time this weekend thinking about different matchups and how G&W's playstyle affects them. I hadn't been around all last week, that's why I haven't been able to update recently.

Noa.

Smash Master
From the definitions of defensive and hybrid, Snake requires a more hybrid style.

I don't think the our bacon can outcamp Snake's grenades.

I play it more with a hybrid style.

thaxceptional1

Smash Lord
yo what does sj mean

also most people Up+B n tend to not realize its uses...u can up+b to knock ur opponent off the stage and fair to get that extra knock back.. also up b is great for pillaring when followed with nair

gw is the only character i can think of who can do so many combos in a row, thats why i love playing him

Splice

Smash Hero
yeah ZSS does awesome combos.

I believe aggresive is better against grenade camping snakes,
I use Bair and then UpB away and normally the grenade either hits them and i attack,
Or they just lose their shield and cant afford to have it happen again, so i'd say aggressive is best
against campy snakes, but you still have to be a little tentative.
I have never tried defensive against a campy snake though, so it could be good. I dont like playing defensive, i get impatient and slip up.

Noa.

Smash Master
No, aggresive does not work against good Snakes.

One of the big reasons why Snake is considered such a bad matchup for G&W is that he can easily punish our approaches.

Ftilt OoS and having a grenade on the floor come to mind on how Snake can punish G&W.

To play this matchup, you need to play extremely patienly. I don't believe that we can outcamp Snake, so playing defensively may not work so well.

It's important that we constantly pressure Snake with our zoning and not our actual moves, and that when we see an opening we approach Snake.

Aggressive styles work when the opponent has trouble dealing with bair OoS or otherwise. Snake easily punishes this style and when he punishes it gives you a lot of damage that you can't handle.

Needle of Juntah

Smash Champion
yo what does sj mean

also most people Up+B n tend to not realize its uses...u can up+b to knock ur opponent off the stage and fair to get that extra knock back.. also up b is great for pillaring when followed with nair

gw is the only character i can think of who can do so many combos in a row, thats why i love playing him
lol thax i didnt know u still played )

thaxy thax thax

Valdens

Smash Ace
I'm a little late, but I think I'd disagree with defensive vs Snake, hybrid is definitely a better way of handling him in my opinion..

Staying constantly defensive allows him to completely control the matchup at all times due to his superior camping options and allows him to set up very difficult to maneuver around traps, whereas approaching cautiously makes him unable to set up tent as easily and keep him second guessing, while remaining safe for you if you don't throw out random moves.

Top Bottom