• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Aggressive vs Defensive

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Being defensive/campy is not the best kind of playstyle. The more a Marth spams, the more susceptible he is to being punished, especially if the Marth chooses not to approach (pretty much what steel2nd said in his topic post).

Being aggressive while maintaining your spacing is how a Marth should approach any match up. Keeping your opponent at bay while constantly adding pressure with your well spaced attacks will yield the best results.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
i dont think hrnut or dr pp would do so well in this area even they themselves are great marths it really depends on area and who you face : /
True, you can't judge people unless they live in the same region and are playing the same top players. But I really don't think you are the 3rd best Marth, I'm sure there are better ones, although I'm not trying to diss you at all.

Dr pp, you told me you were being considered as possibly the best smasher in NC. That says a lot to be the best in your state, lol.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
It only means alot to a few people though lol. I can easily count the serious Brawl players on two hands, whereas CK has a plethora of talent in his area at every tournament.

He has more experience and more skilled competition. Even if I were better, this next tournament could very well be a fluke for all we know.

I am looking forward to playing the best from NoVA (including you, CK), though.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I guess PP... Midwest is a bit lacking as well. Anther, OS, and Omniswell (Anther and Omni are going to my first tourney :() are probably the best, and after that there are a few good ones per state but that aren't up there in the region. I know I'm missing some though.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
I guess PP... Midwest is a bit lacking as well. Anther, OS, and Omniswell (Anther and Omni are going to my first tourney :() are probably the best, and after that there are a few good ones per state but that aren't up there in the region. I know I'm missing some though.
The better the players the better you will become.

Either that or they'll threaten you at point blank for some Meleez.

Oh, wrong state, sorry. ^_^

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
It only means alot to a few people though lol. I can easily count the serious Brawl players on two hands, whereas CK has a plethora of talent in his area at every tournament.

He has more experience and more skilled competition. Even if I were better, this next tournament could very well be a fluke for all we know.

I am looking forward to playing the best from NoVA (including you, CK), though.

oh you are coming to c3 ?! nice i'll see you there :p

HRNUT (Honey Roasted)

Smash Master
Lets just say that i have to play alot of good people at every tournament, Florida's Brawl scene is quite huge, please try to be humble CK...VietGeek has seen my marth and he knows that its quite serious, but try not to get the big head its not gonna help

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Aggressive Marth is the way to go IMO.

Personally, I think defensive Marth only works well consistently with low level play. There's only so much he can do defensively when he's playing constantly against characters like Falco, Snake, DDD, Rob, ect. He also allows the opposition too many option and too much freedom when he's played like that. It's not like he has a projectile he can use to distrupt or set ups traps.

Marth can control and dictate so much when he's attacking. NEO is obviously the best example. Just watch how he plays... By playing aggressively, he constantly has the other player in a bad situation and completely shuts them down. This is when Marth is at his best -- limiting a players options and keeping them in bad positions.
A good defensive Marth is Danykatt.
Or he could be a Straight Hybrid.
All I know is that he is very defensive.

_Kadaj_

Smash Hero
Throw that P***y at me? B***h I think Im Babe Ruth
:evil: i watched one of dannykat's matches (the one against falco) he rolls alot. or maybe it was just because he was playing falco idk.

i still want to play roy r! he and hylian should come to the east coast for one of our ECRC events

Ck when are you guys coming back down?
:evil:

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
This is a good thread =D. I like how you described the two different play styles and went into such detail. This will help me in those tough situations.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Yesterday, I was testing whether to play Defensive from 75% on or Aggro.

I've been pondering, camp or go all out. Its not like D3, where you can kill both you and your opponent. However, I have yet to perfect the offense, so defensive is best for me.

How about you guys?

Off-Topic: How do I hange my name?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Lol, this is like my Lucario playstyle thread.
Disclaimer: For any of these kinds of threads, it's good to assume that they mean to not dictate "you should only do this". Rather, if your game is getting into a certain pattern at a part of the match, it is leaning in that direction.

nickcrapy7

Smash Rookie
I have an idea that might help making this thread better (it’s not that is not great as it is, it´s just that I don’t want to make a separate thread if this can be done here) my idea is assigning certain percentages to match ups if you play them with aggressive marth or defensive marth based on how would marth handle the character If one plays that way.

What do you think? Should this be done here? Should this be done in the match up discussion thread? , is this a bad idea? , is this just pointless?.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I practice aggressive because in my own mind I feel as if, if I am that unintelligent that I can't tell the difference between when to approach or when to camp, then I have obvious practice to do.

Know your opponent change it up, don't be afraid to lesser your manliness quality for a split second to uphold a win.

jorgen aune

Smash Cadet
Nice, ive allways been stuck in the quesion about defencive or offencive when playing marth. projectiles and bad auto-cancel force you to play aggresive sometimes.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
this thread is outdated lol, needs an update.

WILL I OVERCOME MY LAZINESS TO REWRITE IT? STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Hmph, so excited you misspelled "exited"?

Pitiful child, soon you will learn there is nothing to be excited about. Only grief and suffering will commence.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
Hmph, so excited you misspelled "exited"?

Pitiful child, soon you will learn there is nothing to be excited about. Only grief and suffering will commence.

I don't take your word. You are biased in an emo sort of way.

and viet...

your marth sucks. I know you wanted to hear it so i said it again.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
"Do you think you have surpassed me?"
"But...it is not unwelcome."
"...Whoever wins this war shall obtain the world."
"Very well...challenge me."
"You will win everything, or you will lose everything."
"This is how war is supposed to be."

BanjoKazooiePro

Smash Champion
Mmm....it always seems to me that playing patient and predicting your opponents next move and punishing works much better than being aggressive does. In some cases, aggressive play is better, yes, but most of the time I feel like staying safe is the best strategy. I played aggressive in my first tournament and got smacked for it. Although, it was my first tournament, so I didn't assume I was going to play well. It's so hard to distinguish between these two strategies sometimes. *headdesk*

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
If your approaching and applying constant pressure you aggresive, if your walling and retreating your defenseive. Learn it, utilize it.

VGSteve

Smash Apprentice

^relevant
I tend to stick on the left side of this picture. I use an extremely stubborn, sometimes stupid Marth. I have a few issues I need to work out with defensive Marth before I try to use him. I usually play against my friend who uses TL a lot, so I can't allow him to whip out the projectiles and fluster me, so in this case offense Marth is needed to take control of the match. Besides, I like to use dtilts offensively.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
agres is more fun :D especially agenst people with no projectiles and no long ranged airs.

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
its bump all my threads day, for refreshers and for the newcomers to the board.

some of this may be outdated, but its still good stuff nonetheless

clowsui

Smash Legend
rereading this thread it seems as though steel is of a different opinion now, always preferring aggressive marth to defensive XD; i don't think he's ever really communicated to anybody SINCE the day he's made this thread the importance of defensive play.

steel should you go only aggressive except vs. heavies? :O

Top Bottom