• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Dodge Appears to have an FAF that occurs prior to the Auto-Cancel Window

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Air Dodge Appears to have an FAF that occurs prior to the Auto-Cancel Window of Air Dodge.

Because Dakpo asked me to explain - an FAF (First Actable/Actionable Frame) or IASA (Interrupt As Soon As) is a term used to indicate when a player may make an input in order to move directly into their next action. Without any inputs, the current action will continue on to completion.

For example if you look at the sample frame dodge data:

1 -3: Start up
4-29: Intangible
30-34: Cool Down
35: First Actionable Frame
35-X: Aerial Landing Lag Penatly will Occur if You Land Here

*I don't have solid frame data, but I suspect air dodge will probably have something like x = 40 frames in this scenario. That's a guess. Most of the frame data is a guess until people put up concrete frame data

If you buffer an aerial between frame 35 and Frame X (someone can frame test to find exactly what that frame is), you'll suffer your aerial landing lag penalty as opposed to the 22 frame air dodge landing lag penalty. The game will read you an in an aerial as opposed to in an air dodge because of the FAF/IASA option.

So if you're Diddy Kong and your Dair autocancels on startup as an example, you can aerial cancel your landing lag penalty, mitigating the risk of air dodging into the ground in some cases.

TLDR - DeLux Cancelling

You should interrupt your air dodge with the least laggy aerial landing lag on your character moveset

Video-

Last edited:

B0NK

Smash Lord
Warning Received
Name Sucks / 10

Edit: Nice tech though -_^b

Last edited:

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
This has been known but the actual frame data has not been fleshed out yet. Are those airdodge numbers correct? And are they universal to the full cast?

DeLux

I just based it off the air dodge animation I saw for some character floating around. I don't know if it's universal.

I do know it's pretty godlike with diddy though lol

B0NK

Smash Lord
I should also mention that it doesn't have to be an aerial, it can be ANY move. Including special moves, jumps and hilariously air dodge.

That's why air dodge mashing is so fast.

EDITED*

Last edited:

DeLux

I should also mention that it doesn't have to be an aerial, it can be ANY move. Including special moves.
Oh God, the air dodge into counter meta game is gonna be on lock LOL

Gatoray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gatoray
3DS FC
3024-5880-3045
Isn't "FAF" the same as the already named IASA frames?

DeLux

FAF and IASA have been used interchangeably for as long as I've been frame testing in smash lol

I like FAF since it's shorter and I couldn't remember what IASA stood for to save my life ;)

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah it was pointed out early that the auto cancel frame from Air Dodging could be circumvented by using a move that didn't have as much landing lag.
And as I pointed out then, it's much like how some aerials in Brawl had auto cancel frames after the moves finished; Meta Knight's Up Air, Donkey Kong's Back Air were prime examples where "air dodging" would actually give them lagless landing but would otherwise experience it.

Not even remotely new, but now universal, or more so helpful to characters with low landing lag moves or those which have auto cancels prior to hitboxes being out.

Last edited:

DeLux

Yeah it was pointed out early that the auto cancel frame from Air Dodging could be circumvented by using a move that didn't have as much landing lag.
And as I pointed out then, it's much like how some aerials in Brawl had auto cancel frames after the moves finished; Meta Knight's Up Air, Donkey Kong's Back Air were prime examples where "air dodging" would actually give them lagless landing but would otherwise experience it.

Not even remotely new, but now universal, or more so helpful to characters with low landing lag moves or those which have auto cancels prior to hitboxes being out.
whoa whoa whoa pump the brakes

You could L-Cancel DK's Bair in Brawl? I knew about MK's Dair and I know I'm using "L-Cancel" in a bastardization of the term. But didn't know about DK LOL

Last edited:

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Warning Received
Naming it after yourself? Lux, you asshole, lmao

B0NK

Smash Lord
It's why everyone can chain airdodges, yes.

WiiFit can do something like Airdodge > Deep Breathing > 1-Frame Shield Cancel > OoS Option

It's pretty cool.

Untouch

Smash Master
WFT's airdodge lag is like, obscenely low.
Literally half everyone else's for some reason.

DeLux

Naming it after yourself? Lux, you *******, lmao
If anyone actually calls it DeLux Cancelling, I will forever give up on assuming satire is obvious lol

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Very, very cool. Charizard is an example of a character that can't SHAD without suffering those 22 frames of landing lag. But If I buffer a nair at the end of the air dodge, voila, lagless!

DeLux

Certain moves have properties where they autocancel prior to a hitbox coming out, like the Diddy example with Dair in the video.

(I don't know what those moves are until we get a frame data compilation for all moves)

Last edited:

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
I think a good number of moves from Brawl retained those properties upon transferring. Most of Ike's aerials still autocancel on the first few frames of input, so I imagine the same for many other veterans.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There is not a technique. It's just engine exploitation.
But good ****

Last edited:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
There is not a technique. It's just engine exploitation.
But good ****
In Brawl at least, Marth's dair has this property (cancel's before the hitbox comes out). Hopefully the same applies to him and Lucina in this game.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
If anyone actually calls it DeLux Cancelling, I will forever give up on assuming satire is obvious lol
This is what I hope and dream for. You know I'M going to call it that.

Scala

Smash Ace
I'm kind of sad this exists actually. One of the really good changes from brawl to smash 4 is gone now

Last edited:

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm kind of sad this exists actually. One of the really good changes from brawl to smash 4 is gone now
I really don't think this is bad. I don't remember the Brawl airdodge-landing frame #s, but with this:
- You need to airdodge at least 35 frames before landing on the ground for this technique to help
- If you do it right, you still have some vulnerable landing-lag from the aerial-landing, in addition to the airdodge cooldown window
- It's a technique. People won't always perform it, or perform it correctly. Might end up landing laggy and buffering an attack if they do it really wrong.

Seems like just a cool little trick that might help some characters act faster, but airdodging onto the ground is still a very punishable situation. That sounds pretty good to me.

S2

Smash Lord
So is it possible for Megaman to cancel any airdodge lag completely with his neutral air then? I'm under the impression that his buster neutral has no landing lag at all.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
If you finish it before the landing, I think you might be right. If you don't, however, you will transition into the ground version of the move and get the normal end lag, just like with Falcon Punch or Kirby's Hammer Flip.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
You have to do it before you land so you gotta airdoodge super early before you can do this into the ground. 35 frames is a lot anyone can react to.

This is useful but it's not going to be something the whole cast is going to exploit and be a must learn tech. Useful but it's not gonna make airdodges into Brawl levels of good. This requires you to make an additional action.

Lmao Lux you sound like you're just sayin "Not there, there, not there, there" but after a long night

Anyway awesome find. Even though the mechanic itself isn't new the fact that its pretty much universal is, which is great. Points for providing a good video too.

Top Bottom