• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Stalling: Useful?

Rui

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if it's officially called air stalling (I saw it in a very early video that named it that), but what I'm talking about is when you use certain characters' dair after getting hit to reverse the momentum. Off the top of my head, these characters are Sheik, Link, Toon Link, ZSS, and Sonic. I probably left out a few, but you should get the idea of what type of move it is. Anyway, when you get hit hard enough, you can use that and it will only last for like a second, but you stay frozen in the air for that amount of time. It really screws up the pace.

But of course, I don't think for a second that this is new. I'm not introducing it as new. What I'm asking is, do you think it's beneficial or detrimental to your game? When I use it, the effects vary--either I avoid an attack, or I get hit more easily because I'm in a reachable range (vertically.) It's probably situational, but do you think it should be used at all? It's not a glitch, so would you place it more under the category of tripping or... I don't know, air dodging? Do you use it?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
The real question is, what slows momentum more: Lucario's/Sheik's/Sonic's/G&W's/etc.'s dair or airdodging?

Lord Yawgmoth

Smash Apprentice
The real question is, what slows momentum more: Lucario's/Sheik's/Sonic's/G&W's/etc.'s dair or airdodging?
I am fairly sure you are talking about SamuraiPanda's observation of lv9 CPUs thread, where he speculated about how air-dodging might be able to slow your momentum. I am also pretty sure in that same thread they proved that air dodging does nothing for your momentum.

On topic: I've seen videos where it was used to greatly aid Toon link's horizontal recovery (as if he needs it). I have no personal experience with it, so I'm sorry I can't help you more.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
it doest help that much really. its mindgame at best or help recovery but idk i dont use it much

Saunic

Smash Rookie
It is not really useful actually, way too risky and it is requires too strict conditions to pull it off.

Moreover, the people concerned by this technique are mostly light and have great recoveries (mainly Toon Link, who has crazy jumps), so you may think this is not really useful at all.

BTW, about air dodging, I'm almost sure that, on the contrary, it increase your air momentum, that's what my impressions were, your character seems lighter. But as far as we know, nothing proved what I say, nor that it decreases your air momentum.

Top Bottom