• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

airs vs airdodge.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
there might be a thread about this but i couldnt find anything. what should u do if u get smashed at 100+ health and u are trying to survive.. air dodge? or air moves.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
Air dodging doesn't help you recover. Some characters (like ROB) have air moves that can help them recover but not everyone has those kinds of moves.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Air dodging doesn't help you recover. Some characters (like ROB) have air moves that can help them recover but not everyone has those kinds of moves.
sry not to recover i mean like right after u get smashed, ur flyin off the screen right? before u start doing ur jump then up b or what ever should u air dodge or do some airials. kinda hard to explain :(

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
I understand what you mean but I haven't really tested which is better to increase your chances of surviving.

I know that moves that change your momentum (Ivysaur's dair/uair, ROB's dair/bair, Tlink's/Sheik's/Sonic's/ZSS/etc. dair and many more) will decrease your previous momentum by cancelling it out with the momentum of the attack. Now the question is, is there a way to perform these attacks earlier than usual?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Neither help. airdodging doesn't effect your momentum, but you won't have to tech upon landing, which is nice. Using an attack won't do anything to affect your momentum. Basically, just DI/SDI back to wherever you want to go.

Iamthemovie

Smash Journeyman
Neither help. airdodging doesn't effect your momentum, but you won't have to tech upon landing, which is nice. Using an attack won't do anything to affect your momentum. Basically, just DI/SDI back to wherever you want to go.
What? Really? Gotta test it then...

Ok, yeah, DanGR is right... My post was wrong. Moves that change your momentum does not aid your surviving of an attack.

Here is one that I do know that will work. If you're hit going horizontally and you're near a grabbable edge then use a tether (provided that your character has a tether attack), your horizontal momentum will be completely negated.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Some attacks affect how far you go though.
Like if someone hits me with a Usmash, I use TL's Dair.

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
im sure that that is wrong... moves and air dodge do help momentum...

i dont want this theard to be about this vid but ima give u the link anyways... if u notice both m2k and azen do arirlas to survive.. http://youtube.com/watch?v=62BxoodIjEA

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
well sometimes if your airdodge youll get hit back because your opponent will catch you off guard. some chars can do arials all the way down to protect themselves. i also do arials that give me a boost like d3's foward air makes him go a little foward to help my chances of recovery

Sad Panda323

Smash Journeyman
I'm THINK that certain characters, like ROB have aerials that effect their momentum. I was playing against a CPU ROB and whenever I would hit him towards the edge of the screen he would do his bair.

BBQ°

Smash Champion
Airdodging to break the hitstun and then jumping immediately will help you survive. Using a momentum-cancelling attack doesn't help you survive.

Using an aerial breaks the hitstun sooner but you won't be able to jump immediately afterwards because of the lag time of the aerial.

Search on youtube and type in "Brawl DI" or "Kizzu" and you'll probably get some visual preference.

Mista Sinista

Smash Lord
From my experience and reading stuff in a few previous threads, nothing stops momentum. Aerials and air dodges don't do a single thing. The only tip I can give you for survinging longer is learn to DI perfectly.

D

Deleted member

Im pretty sure it does.

Top Bottom