• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

aish's edmonton brawl monthlies - over

Skrem

Smash Apprentice
I hope so - I've been awol for a few now and I need to get at least one more in....
I'm goin to be 26 in november, almost too old to be doin this stuff :)

Fraser

Smash Journeyman
sweet ur online right now. Also your never too old to be doing this the average age of a gamer goes up every year and now its over 30. :) as long as you dont mind playing over 9000 MK's you should be fine........(the community is infested with them -.- )

also can we pick a december date? 19th would be cool for jake and stuff. If not we'll use Wilson to "convince you" *insert evil laughter here*

Preemptive happy birthday ^.^

Fraser

Smash Journeyman
lawl. how about 7 mks cause thats how many we had at this tourney -.-
1/3 of all players were using MK. No comment

Skrem

Smash Apprentice
Are you joking? Thats crazy..... More MKs than anyones ever seen in one place since I remember....
*shakes head in shame of alberta*

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
yeah the amount of MK's is starting to get out of hand, but you can't say our community isn't just finally catching up with the rest of the world, lol.

Also skrem happy early birthday. And don't worry about your age, my brother is 29 and still loves games lmao.

Skrem

Smash Apprentice
Well, I don't think I'll ever stop playing games.
I love Smash, and I don't know why - wish I had more people to play against more often.....guess thats why I give dan my 20 bucks :p

T-block

B2B TST
All right let's talk Pokemon Stadium 2.

I honestly have yet to hear a substantial argument from anyone in this community against PS2. To be clear, "i dont like it", "its gay", and "it changes the physics omg" are not substantial arguments. Stages are generally banned for one of two reasons. One is that they offer an unfair advantage to a small subset of characters to the extent that the matchup is unwinnable on said stage, such as D3 on Shadow Moses Island. The other is that it introduces degenerate strategies into the metagame, the most prominent of which is circle camping.

Neither of these is present on PS2. You can say the Flying stage gives advantage to Ness and Lucas because of PKT chasing, or that the Electric stage disadvantages Ganondorf because he can't outrun the conveyer belts (lol), but that's exactly what a CP is supposed to do - the whole point of the CP system is supposedly to give the loser of the previous match an advantage in the next game. There's also the fact that all transformations don't last forever, so any advantage, if it truly is matchup changing, can simply be waited out.

Limeee

Smash Champion
well i'm not an experience player so you tell me, why is PS2 banned in alot of tourneys? and lol at ganondorf not running out the conveyor belt

but i still want yoshi's in

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
"it changes the physics omg" are not substantial arguments.
That alone is a perfectly substantial argument.

Ice is dumb; it causes extra tripping and less traction to every character except for ICs. Flying turns into super floaty bull where everybody flies around everywhere and avoids each other, and G&W's uair is stupid on it. Conveyor belts severely hinder some characters (lol ganon) to the point where it's almost not even playable because everybody just fights for the middle spot of the stage and the edgeguarding is ridiculous with the conveyor belts. And I'm not actually sure about the Ground type, but IIRC can't the hill make a wall, which would allow infinites? I could be wrong about that one, I don't really remember.

It's just dumb because people are expected to know how to perform to their characters' abilities in a universal context, and on PS2, the physics just alter things to the point where the gameplay is essentially degenerated. In a more casual way, I would just say the "advantages" of that stage aren't legit, like stalling all day on Temple (only this isn't as bad).

Limeee

Smash Champion
That alone is a perfectly substantial argument.

Ice is dumb; it causes extra tripping and less traction to every character except for ICs. Flying turns into super floaty bull where everybody flies around everywhere and avoids each other, and G&W's uair is stupid on it. Conveyor belts severely hinder some characters (lol ganon) to the point where it's almost not even playable because everybody just fights for the middle spot of the stage and the edgeguarding is ridiculous with the conveyor belts. And I'm not actually sure about the Ground type, but IIRC can't the hill make a wall, which would allow infinites? I could be wrong about that one, I don't really remember.

It's just dumb because people are expected to know how to perform to their characters' abilities in a universal context, and on PS2, the physics just alter things to the point where the gameplay is essentially degenerated. In a more casual way, I would just say the "advantages" of that stage aren't legit, like stalling all day on Temple (only this isn't as bad).
what he said, i'm glad someone was willing not to be lazy, i pretty much agree with everything tyler said even though he plays melee

Limeee

Smash Champion
since were on the subject of changing rules, can we ban D3's walking chaingrab? i think its pretty unlegit what do you guys think

T-block

B2B TST
Tyler you don't even play brawl, let alone PS2... but whatever - I'm not gonna use that against you here.

Are you trying to say the ice transformation gives an unfair advantage to the ICs? They actually don't benefit from that part at all, since iirc it messes up their chain grabs. Lowered traction is not an issue at all - it's an issue to those who are not familiar with it. It actually allows for techniques such as sliding smashes. It's called stage knowledge, and people should be rewarded for having it. Maybe it changes the way you play a bit; maybe it takes away a couple of options... but it also does add options. Changing the way you play your character isn't bad by any means - it happens all the time anyways. Falco has to play differently on Brinstar than he does on Final Destination. It's just more obvious on PS2.

The air stage is actually rather simple - don't let yourself go into a helpless state. Then, stuff like GW's u-air won't be so bad. Sure he can probably stall out the entire transformation, and maybe land a couple of hits. Who cares if gameplay stops for a transformation? The fire and rock transformation in PS1 end up in waiting more often than not anyways. The biggest advantage any one character has on this transformation is Ness and Lucas with PKT (correct me if you think there's a better one); both low tier characters who could use a good CP.

The hill on the ground stage does act as a pseudo-wall, but I think we can both agree that there's nothing ban-worthy about this transformation. For electric, if someone is camping the middle, what's wrong with just hanging onto the ledge? Obviously middle is still advantageous in this position, but fighting for stage positioning isn't unheard of. The conveyer belts to the ledge also do provide some interesting options - think ledgecancelling.

Again, you have to remember that none of these transformations are permanent, which is really going to hurt the ban case.

And, to repeat my main point:

It's called stage knowledge, and people should be rewarded for having it.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
K, I'm gonna try to say this in the least meat-riding way possible.

Maiko is a pretty freaking smart guy, like 4.0 gpa smart. When it comes down to it, his thought process is nearly flawless. When he goes deep into a topic, and for this case the legality of PS2, then all eyes and ears should be towards him. He knows his ****.

This is pretty much why I don't mind brawl as much anymore. If someone like Maiko likes it then god ****, there must be something behind it lol.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
K, I'm gonna try to say this in the least meat-riding way possible.
You failed. <3

That being said, I agree with everything he said. There is one thing I'd like to add about the ground stage; compare it to both the rock and fire stages of PS1. Those are both FAR worse than the ground stage will ever be, and PS1 is sometimes argued to be a neutral stage in favour of Lylat. That really reinforces Mike's point that if your character is screwed by a transformation for whatever reason, you can just wait it out; that alone says to me that PS2 isn't really ban-worthy.

I don't like it myself, but that's only because I'm not used to the stage. Yoshi, for example, has some pretty cool things he could do on most of the transformations: extended egg toss slides on the ice transformation, taking advantage of his great aerial speed and ability to downB to avoid stupid things on the flying transformation, playing with the slope on the ground stage and the ledges on the electric stage. Just play around with the stage for a while with your character, and maybe you'll discover some neat little trick you can use as well.

:005:

T-block

B2B TST
I knew Jack was gonna say that. Snake's u-tilt should be banned before PS2 honestly.

Anyone who says this stage brings things "to the point where the gameplay is essentially degenerated" obviously hasn't played this stage seriously more than five times. If you take a bit of time to learn what you can do on this stage you'll see it actually adds a dimesion of gameplay. Seriously, anyone voting for a ban, I ask you to please give the stage an honest try before you reject it.

Limeee

Smash Champion
so what i take from this

ban walking chaingrab

take away ? from PS2
add yoshis (nobody even bother talking about yoshi's D8)

lets talk about distant planet

EDIT: and talk about pirate ship (i vote yes)

and wow, i'm glad we've actually started talking about the tournament

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
I would like to take the time to say that Pirate ship is legit as well.
I love this stage. Imma go here all day next tourney.

I actually really do enjoy both stages. I'm serious about going to them.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Yeah pirate ship is legit. I used to think it was BS, but it's not bad at all. The more stages the better, it makes cp'ing better, which is basically the best part of smash.

EDIT: wtf Jamie, walking chaingrab is not even close to being bannable.

Top Bottom