• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Smash League - Season 3 Ready for AAAaaction

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
is it ok if i just pay for my ASL fees at AUSUM?
im really sorry if this is inconvient butt i dont know where a post office is in montevallo lol

*Cam*

Smash Lord
That's fine, but free pizza is only for those who pay before AUSOM. If you are going to a tournament before October 29th that Reflex is at, then you can give your money to him.

EDIT: There's a good chance we will have a smashfest at the venue the night before on the 28th. If you show up that night, then you can sign up and still get pizza.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
there's gotta be a mailbox somewhere on campus. or if you still come to bham every now and then there's mailboxes in like every shopping center. or if you can get me the money somehow i can pay on your behalf.

can't you pay directly to paypal using a debit/credit card, even if you don't have a paypal account?

*Cam*

Smash Lord
When we first created our website, I had a lot of people wishing it was more interactive.

Well, I've added something new to the site that I think you all will like. Now you have a "Leave comment" option at the bottom of crew pages, bios, and tournament results pages. You can even add an avatar and a name next to the comment, and it should remember what avatar/name you used so you don't have to put it in every single time.

Keep in mind, I don't want to spend all my time moderating this. If it gets too out of hand, I'll remove the feature altogether. I don't expect it will though. Have fun.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Pfft, it's not like we will argue or talk about illegal substances and what not. We're so much better than that ;D

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Here are the ELO ratings from AUSOM 4Ever:

These ratings only take into account bracket matches, and do not necessarily reflect exact placement in the tournament. As we get more and more tournaments entered into this system, the ratings will begin to more accurately reflect player skill (in ASL tournaments).

EDIT: For those curious, I use the standard ELO formula on a match-by-match basis, starting first with the winner's bracket and then moving to the loser's. I can upload the program I made for this if people are interested.

*Cam*

Smash Lord

These ratings only take into account bracket matches, and do not necessarily reflect exact placement in the tournament. As we get more and more tournaments entered into this system, the ratings will begin to more accurately reflect player skill (in ASL tournaments).

EDIT: For those curious, I use the standard ELO formula on a match-by-match basis, starting first with the winner's bracket and then moving to the loser's. I can upload the program I made for this if people are interested.
Ryan, I'd like to take into account pools too so that everyone gets on the ELO.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
Rag, I'm pretty sure all of the tournaments should feature doubles....AFAIK. There's no reason there wouldn't be doubles.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
I'm sorry but whatever algorithm you used there most likely needs to be revamped or you have an error. If those ratings are based purely off ONLY the bracket matches at AUSOM4 then you should essentially have the players in order of their bracket placings. Placings at a tournament always come first when ranking players overall, it's always been the case. The brackets were seeded with pools so I can't even see any large amount of "bracket ****" going on.

Even if you use a person's match counts in the bracket, they should be weighted extremely less than bracket placing and in the future could even be additionally weighted based off their opponent's previous "current placement" but since this is the first tournament and no one had a placement, that would be null for these calculations.

I actually only mildly care about my placement on this since it might be considered nationally or looked at by others. I'm sorry if I offended you but there's just no way you can justify placements like George (placed 9th) getting 6th on the rankings or even 4GOD (placed 5th) getting 3rd/4th on the rankings. If you want to PM me the details and try to explain it to me in a PM, go for it. I don't think I want to start a huge discussion in this thread though.

DRN

Smash Lord
Yea that ^^. Don't really understand how it turned out how it did with just Ausom in it.
lol at hunters placement.
:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'm sorry but whatever algorithm you used there most likely needs to be revamped or you have an error. If those ratings are based purely off ONLY the bracket matches at AUSOM4 then you should essentially have the players in order of their bracket placings. Placings at a tournament always come first when ranking players overall, it's always been the case. The brackets were seeded with pools so I can't even see any large amount of "bracket ****" going on.

Even if you use a person's match counts in the bracket, they should be weighted extremely less than bracket placing and in the future could even be additionally weighted based off their opponent's previous "current placement" but since this is the first tournament and no one had a placement, that would be null for these calculations.

I actually only mildly care about my placement on this since it might be considered nationally or looked at by others. I'm sorry if I offended you but there's just no way you can justify placements like George (placed 9th) getting 6th on the rankings or even 4GOD (placed 5th) getting 3rd/4th on the rankings. If you want to PM me the details and try to explain it to me in a PM, go for it. I don't think I want to start a huge discussion in this thread though.
I don't think it's based on matches as if it were a tournament. I think it's based solely on who beat who.

DRN

Smash Lord
I don't think it's based on matches as if it were a tournament. I think it's based solely on who beat who.
Then how did George get so high? He didnt even beat anyone ranked. He only won one winners bracket match on top of that.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
We'll figure it out, don't worry. We haven't even factored in pools yet. Ingulit is the one that ran the ELO Rankings program, so he'll have to answer your questions. Forgive him though if he can't respond immediately; he is the T.O. for the Iron Brawl II on the 12th, so he has a lot to do.

DRN

Smash Lord
We'll figure it out, don't worry. We haven't even factored in pools yet. Ingulit is the one that ran the ELO Rankings program, so he'll have to answer your questions. Forgive him though if he can't respond immediately; he is the T.O. for the Iron Brawl II on the 12th, so he has a lot to do.
O ya no problem of course. We were just curious.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
P-1, you were last seed because you used Bowser and almost lost in a Diddy ditto.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I'm using the simplest ELO ratings algorithm on a match-by-match basis. Everyone starts at rank 1600, meaning when we first start recording rankings the most random of the randoms is considered the same skill level as, say, Reflex. I don't think the first tournament or two are likely not going to accurately reflect player skill due to massive rank fluctuations; in fact, I don't think we should post these rankings officially until the 3rd tournament or so. After that point the ratings should be far more accurate. I just posted these here to show that we are, in fact, running an ELO ratings system in the background of the ASL; they shouldn't be taken seriously YET. Once we get more tournament data, things will smooth out.

This website has a good explanation of the algorithm I used:
http://www.chesselo.com/

If you have any suggestions on how to improve it for the ASL, please tell me! I'm very open to advice on this matter.

I can post some of the code for my program here too if anyone is interested in digging through the wonderful mess that is C++/CLI (I had to use this language as this was a school project).

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Did you write the C++ code yourself based off the outline of the algorithms described Ingluit? I wouldn't mind looking at them. Not so much to correct or anything, just to see exactly how it works.

I read the website you linked and the algorithms are good. They're very single match dependent though. So players who play more matches overall can end up with a higher rating since starting clean like this, everyone is 1600 like you said (this is why George got ranked so high).

Theoretically, the ELO ratings SHOULD balance out to be more accurate over time (if attendance is consistent) but I'm afraid you might not get accurate enough results with only 5 tournaments hosted in the season. I could be wrong though so keep at it and I'm eager to see what happens and if it works out.

However, if it does not work out... I don't think your program should go to waste and I have some ideas on how to maybe take the ELO algorithms and modify them to work more accurate for Brawl tournaments. If ELO doesn't pan out and you're interested, you should contact me on Skype sometime and we can see if any of my ideas are good. PM me for my Skype acc if you want it or ask Cam.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Ing, talk to me sometime as I want to ask you something about this. I'd bother you here, but don't want to make promises I can't keep in public.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I read the website you linked and the algorithms are good. They're very single match dependent though. So players who play more matches overall can end up with a higher rating since starting clean like this, everyone is 1600 like you said (this is why George got ranked so high).
This is exactly what happened, actually; the more matches you play at the start of a season when everyone is 1600, the higher your rank. However, if that happens, if you eventually lose a match to people who have played fewer matches, your rank should theoretically go down significantly (and vice versa for the actual winner).

Theoretically, the ELO ratings SHOULD balance out to be more accurate over time (if attendance is consistent) but I'm afraid you might not get accurate enough results with only 5 tournaments hosted in the season. I could be wrong though so keep at it and I'm eager to see what happens and if it works out.
I think I'm going to keep two rankings, one that's overall and one per season. The overall one should balance nicely between seasons, and I'm curious to see how it pans out.

However, if it does not work out... I don't think your program should go to waste and I have some ideas on how to maybe take the ELO algorithms and modify them to work more accurate for Brawl tournaments. If ELO doesn't pan out and you're interested, you should contact me on Skype sometime and we can see if any of my ideas are good. PM me for my Skype acc if you want it or ask Cam.
Awesome, will do! I originally made this program for my campus's Smash club's weekly tournaments and it works wonderfully there, so I think it should turn out pretty well for the ASL soon as well; we just need more data.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I think I'm going to keep two rankings, one that's overall and one per season. The overall one should balance nicely between seasons, and I'm curious to see how it pans out.
There should only be a soft reset between seasons as opposed to a hard one.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I just wanted to give you all a head's up. We should be announcing SEASON 2 plans in the next week or two. We are still working out the final details, but we already have outlined what we expect to do.

We have learned a lot from running season 1, and we have had to make a few changes. I will warn you, we have to cut back on our spending a little bit, which means we will not have free pizza/drinks next season. We are not willing to push that expense onto the players via higher membership fees. However, we will still sell pizza and drinks for super cheap at every event.

You can look forward to better organization, teamwork, and communication from here on out. Volunteers have already stepped up to help. Three people offered to help upload replays after every tournament. A friend from Auburn will be taking over the website management, which means he will be able to devote much more focus to it than I can now. Spade has already purchased and hacked a set of ASL sd cards, cards which we will use for the rest of season 1 and for all subsequent seasons, which means no more last-minute borrowing. Player-1, Reflex, Micaelis, and Ryker have all agreed to oversee bracket seeding from here on out.

You get the point. We are addressing problems and improving the tournaments overall. We are learning how to serve the community better, and more of the community is stepping in to help.

Finally, you can expect a super-hype Birmingham tournament hosted by Cheap :peach: in season 2. He has found a large venue; you will hear more soon.

Anyways, I just thought I would update you guys that change is coming.

*Cam*

Smash Lord

Events
  • March 3rd - The Iron Brawl III - Tuscaloosa, AL
  • March 31st - Resist the New World Order V - Mobile, AL
  • April 21st - AUSOM V - Auburn, AL
  • May 26th - HASL III - Huntsville, AL
  • June 16th - Phenix City II
  • July 14th - Birmingham I

Membership fee: $30

Prize Money:
  1. $125
  2. $60
  3. $25
  4. $10

Food
Food and drinks will not be offered free for season 2. Instead, we will sell both at very cheap prices.
  • Canned Drinks - 50 cents
  • Pizza Slice - $1

Signups:
You can sign up starting now. We will offer signups for season 2 at the next tournament (January 14th in Phenix City)

The following people can accept fees for season 2.

Huntsville representative TBA soon

Top Bottom