• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Smash League - Season 3 Ready for AAAaaction

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I am okay with Unity. I am liberal with my stage philosophy, though--I hate the Japanese ruleset.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
can i pay my **** with paypal still

also, does buying pizza and drinks help you guys, or is it mainly just a convenience. lil caesars pizza is kind of ****ty, and if it doesn't help you guys i'll just get my own lunch. but i dont mind eating it if it helps the cause

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It definitely helps us. We make a decent profit off of food and drinks which goes directly to helping the costs of the events themselves.

I'm all about some cheap food, so I wouldn't buy it if it didn't help out the group, either.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to be a bother about this kind of thing, because it isn't that big a deal, but could we get a mix of coke/pepsi drink products at the next tournament?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
What does that have to do with anything?

I hate the Japanese stagelist because of the lack of stages.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
also, does buying pizza and drinks help you guys, or is it mainly just a convenience. lil caesars pizza is kind of ****ty, and if it doesn't help you guys i'll just get my own lunch. but i dont mind eating it if it helps the cause
Well, is there something else you would prefer? We aren't trying to make big money here, mainly just trying to make a little over breaking even. That being said, if you want something more expensive, then we will just have to raise prices in turn. If instead of a $5 pizza you want a $10 pizza, then prices will have to pretty much double.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
What does that have to do with anything?

I hate the Japanese stagelist because of the lack of stages.
It makes it less likely ASL will get off of Unity. It doesn't make it more or less likely that URC will adopt and LGL-less ruleset, that I know of, but I doubt URC is going to remove the LGL.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't understand where you get the idea that the ASL is staunchly opposed to eliminating the LGL.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The ASL isn't. The URC seems pretty staunchly opposed to eliminating LGL.

(did you mean to say URC? Not sure. Dem acronyms)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Whenever it's discussed, I see very little commentary on it from URC members. I take that to be support of status quo.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
every stage in this game is dumb except smashville, which is dumb in some ways, but far less dumb than any other stage. its still pretty bizarre to me that we allow things otther than the characters and skill of the players that literally and in many cases greatly lean the competitive advantage toward one player over the other. i think if your'e gonna allow brinstar and frigate and ****, you might as well turn on items as well
but we've talked about this before yadda yadda.

ledge grab limits are patently dumb, but with MK banned, I really don't understand why we would need them anyway. the only reason there is to combat planking is because MK is invincible when he does it.

@cam. i dont want to spend more on food lol Im just saying if it didn't help I would just hit up wendy's value menu or something.

Also can we have something that's not soda? like fruit punch or some other such juice.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You get more food for your money at the dollar menu. Normally, how could you resist?

Alabama Smash League

Smash Rookie
We have to make a few schedule changes, and I hope it doesn't mess anyone up.

1. Resist has to be moved from March 31st to April 7 to avoid scheduling conflicts with Wes's tournament at Pixelcon on the 31st.
2. HASL will have to switch dates with Smiths Station Smash because UAHuntsville wants to charge us $50 per hour to host it on Memorial Day weekend. Any other weekend will be free, so obviously we won't be paying an extra $600 just to have it on that weekend.
3. We are still trying to work out the venue problems for Cheap's Bham tournament. If worse comes to worse, we will just have another tournament in one of the other locations like Tuscaloosa or Smiths Station.

Sorry for any inconvenience. All this was a surprise to us too.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
I was looking forward to the Birmingham tournament so I really hope you guys can get the venue figured out...

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
ledge grab limits are patently dumb, but with MK banned, I really don't understand why we would need them anyway. the only reason there is to combat planking is because MK is invincible when he does it.
In response ONLY to your LGL argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0r0DkNiqxc

Edit: I didn't realize everyone was on this train. So, this isn't directed solely at Janitor anymore. Everyone should watch this, and let me know your thoughts.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In response ONLY to your LGL argument: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0r0DkNiqxc

Edit: I didn't realize everyone was on this train. So, this isn't directed solely at Janitor anymore. Everyone should watch this, and let me know your thoughts.
Rich hits Will with an F-Smash 41 seconds in. Doing Up-B at the ledge with DK repeatedly isn't completely safe. Many characters have the ability to either reliably take the ledge from him or hit him with a well-timed aerial. Unlike Meta Knight, you don't have five jumps and four recovery options with the B button, so DK's moves from the ledge are pretty limited, and messing up once can mean a dead DK.

As far as Yoshi's Island goes, most characters can outright beat invincible grounded Up-B with a strong aerial or Smash attack. For the ones that can't (Meta Knight and Olimar, basically), they can ban Yoshi's Island, and then they have nothing to worry about.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Rich hits Will with an F-Smash 41 seconds in. Doing Up-B at the ledge with DK repeatedly isn't completely safe. Many characters have the ability to either reliably take the ledge from him or hit him with a well-timed aerial. Unlike Meta Knight, you don't have five jumps and four recovery options with the B button, so DK's moves from the ledge are pretty limited, and messing up once can mean a dead DK.

As far as Yoshi's Island goes, most characters can outright beat invincible grounded Up-B with a strong aerial or Smash attack. For the ones that can't (Meta Knight and Olimar, basically), they can ban Yoshi's Island, and then they have nothing to worry about.
It's a 2 frame window afaik, and can still be exploited fairly well. When R-Br0wn went in, he lost a stock just trying to hit DK. Plus, he is forced to give up Pikmin to forward smash (his safest option) DK, because they fall offstage and die.

And I wasn't too worried about the Invinci-Up-B. It was more the ledge dealio I was pointing out.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It's a 2 frame window afaik, and can still be exploited fairly well. When R-Br0wn went in, he lost a stock just trying to hit DK. Plus, he is forced to give up Pikmin to forward smash (his safest option) DK, because they fall offstage and die.

And I wasn't too worried about the Invinci-Up-B. It was more the ledge dealio I was pointing out.
If the Olimar times it well, it's not a big deal. Going in is a horrible idea as Olimar, since one slip-up costs him his -own- life. You can switch up your Pikmin to throw away all the less useful ones. If DK stays there, you'll eventually have six purples to work with. What's not to like?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
At the very most, even if Rich Brown played the match as best an Olimar could (doubtful), at most it proves that the Olimar vs. DK matchup is similar in difficulty to the D3 vs. DK matchup. That's not banworthy unless you are an advocate of banning D3 infinites (please don't be, that requires me to go to a more abstract level of argument >_<).

The LGL was implemented for Meta Knight after evidence that planking gave MK advantaged matchups on the entire cast.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
At the very most, even if Rich Brown played the match as best an Olimar could (doubtful), at most it proves that the Olimar vs. DK matchup is similar in difficulty to the D3 vs. DK matchup. That's not banworthy unless you are an advocate of banning D3 infinites (please don't be, that requires me to go to a more abstract level of argument >_<).

The LGL was implemented for Meta Knight after evidence that planking gave MK advantaged matchups on the entire cast.
This, basically.

Player-1

Smash Legend
How much of a price difference is it if I pay the $30 for 6 tournaments thing and not show up to 2 of them and if I just pay for 4 of them individually?

Top Bottom