• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

The Phantom Smasher

Smash Cadet
riverside east room 423....i guess keep it at 730

and my phone number is 205-601-5269

and if anyone doesnt know where riverside is i can try to give directions. its on the north side of campus just to the right of the community center where we've had tournies.

and yes, the outside doors are locked but there should be lots of ppl coming and going that can let you in but if not give me a call.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
so i realized that you can edgehog with sheik's chain. as in, you don't have to pull yourself up. (which makes perfect sense now that I think about it)

but this is like the perfect edgehog agsint someone like DK. watch out will_:)
DK has to get pretty low not to be able to get to the stage without the ledge, but yes I'd say that's a nastier tactic against him than many others. If he does make to the stage you can set him up with the massive free fall lag he has since Shiek can get up so quickly. Just make sure a DK doesn't try to kamkiazee though, that UpB can stage spike and catch you up under lips pretty badly.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, if I hypothetically change my smash name what would it be?

I like "Nails". :D

The Executive

Smash Lord
Within the confines of my mortal shell in T-Town.
OK, so, thoughts....

Basically, what I thought was going to happen happened. I was without question the scrub in the room, and I was trashed all night long.

There were some upsides though...Munkus was the only person to three-stock me in singles, and I got T1J down to one stock in a little less than half our matches. I won a singles match against both, though Munkus admitted he was "rusty as sh*t".

I still have to get used to tourney stages as well as playing doubles with FF on, and I'm pretty behind with all my characters, but I learned a lot. Glad I went.

Also, Ganon dittos on Norfair are insane.

Edit: MK can perform approximately 592,438 u-airs in one standard jump. If you are DK, do not let this happen.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
just keep coming to the fests and you'll quickly see what adjustments you need to make in your game.

and munkus is tough, and I guess i am at times too, so don't feel bad. munkus wins money in every tournament he enters, so losing to good people isn't anything to be downed about...you should have tried to play singles against more people, you would have probably seen more varied results. you didn't do too bad in doubles

wtfx no one brought melee.

edit: am i the only one that likes singles better than doubles?

JKHDaBomb

Smash Apprentice
yeah that was awesome fun even though i only got to stay for an hour. This semester is way too busy. Hey but at least I only live like 10 minutes away so maybe I can come smash again sometime. I definitely should have more time next semester. T1J I like singles :)

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I wish I coulda made it tonight... My schedule today was trash. Class at 11:00-6:15, grab dinner and rush upstairs by 6:30, sit in Sunwell for 4 hours then somehow do my Japanese homework before I go to sleep.

Somehow, I'm just now starting it.

I promise to make it next time!

The Executive

Smash Lord
you should have tried to play singles against more people, you would have probably seen more varied results. you didn't do too bad in doubles.
Yeah, I could've used some one on one against Pr0t0; I've never played a competent Wolf and he kinda ***** me in doubles.

wtfx no one brought melee.
I brought Melee and told Phantom I would have it before I got there...ah well.

No, definitely not.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Not to incite jealousy, but here is are the minutes from yesterday's smashfest in Huntsville:
17:30-18:00: General loafing
18:00-20:00: Melee singles and FFA
20:00-21:30: Melee teams
21:30-23:00: Melee singles
23:00-23:15: Melee-induced memory lapse
23:15-00:30: Soul Calibur II

Music provided by Rob and Moogle :)

Melee is far from dead in the HSV. This is your notice.

post-script:
The iTunes Genius feature is lots of fun. It creates playlists based on a seeded song, like Pandora radio. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognized Girl Talk yet, although it had no problems with Crystal Castles.

Soul Calibur II demands your attention.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
um executive did you not hear when everyone was wondering where a copy of melee was.

and i like playing singles, and at almost every smashfest i've ever been to except for huntsville people just play doubles alllll night long. usually in hunts villa they do singles more often though

I dislike when people post times in the 24 hour format. it makes me have to do math

The Executive

Smash Lord
um executive did you not hear when everyone was wondering where a copy of melee was.

and i like playing singles, and at almost every smashfest i've ever been to except for huntsville people just play doubles alllll night long. usually in hunts villa they do singles more often though

I dislike when people post times in the 24 hour format. it makes me have to do math
No, I didn't. Too busy thinking of ways to suck less. I'll keep that in mind next time.

Military time is more simple and does not require moving your hand away from the num pad.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
What is this Janitor? Edits? What happened to double posting?

I like singles better than doubles..... to me, smash doubles is like playing a game of chess with no pawns and three times as many pieces on the board. Yeah, technically the best player could win, but neither side really knows what in the sam hill they are doing, or why they won.

@The Executive:
Come play me! I might be worse than you.... I'm pretty low on the totem pole at Brawl. Can't beat anyone.....

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, now i remember, reason i came to the thread. The comic book shop/ video game store is going up. It's mostly empty, it seems slightly smaller than Vulcan Gamebox, but do to the optical illusion of an empty room seeming smaller, it is probably much smaller.

I plan to talk to the owner, explain to him that whether or not he personally plays Brawl, Alabama is an area in which it is reasonably profitable to run a tournament. (I think Brawl is going to be more profitable than Melee, regardless of which game is superior)
What suggestions do you think i should make? If he doesn't play Brawl or run tournaments before, and this is his first small business, he is probably going to either dismiss a tournament out of hand or do almost exactly the format i suggest (i figure). I think I'd like to suggest 10$ door fee and letting us hang in the place almost all day, as opposed to the 5$ door fee we pay at GameBox and they kick people out quickly after the tournament. Casuals are really important, and when more casual players show up and pay money to get double eliminated, and then get to play no casuals, they aren't motivated to come back.
And what entry fee do you think? I like ten dollars better, what's going to make the most people come though?
As for rules, I'm going to tell him to paste the SBR rules unless he has personal preferences. There's some stages in there i think are stupid, but i can't be sure that that isn't a personal bias. Like, maybe skyworld is fair, i just suck there......?
I'd ask him to maybe ban all the borderline stages though. To me those are really iffy.

What other things are important Huntsville people (or anyone who would travel?). I personally think Brawl singles + Melee singles, rather than doubles for either, would bring in more people and be cooler.

I want to actually make suggestions that will help the guy have a thriving shop, because honestly the spot he's picked and his business plan is probably going to make him tank. Comic book stores do best with low overhead + low profits, because the small fanbase is dedicated enough to go to a nasty store, but the spot he's in looks expensive.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
ten dollar door fees are ********. door fees in general are ********. that somewhere along the line, smashers have become the *****es of tightwad lan store owners and other types of TOs is ********. but i'm sure people will still show up. i wont play too many of them with the way gas is.

so whats the plan for tomorrow is moogle picking up bham folks.

unfortunately ive run out of any money to play any tournaments, but i still want to go.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
There's no free lunch Janitor.... If you prefer house tournaments with no door fees, i'll host one of those instead. Is that what people prefer?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
It's true! You gotta pay for venues, these people ain't doin it out of the goodness o' their hearts!

Unless it's a dudes house.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Not to incite jealousy, but here is are the minutes from yesterday's smashfest in Huntsville:

post-script:
The iTunes Genius feature is lots of fun. It creates playlists based on a seeded song, like Pandora radio. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognized Girl Talk yet, although it had no problems with Crystal Castles.

GODDAMMIT, you guys played Soul Calibur II??!?!?!?!!? wtf!?

WHY DO I MISS EVERYTHING!!!

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Teams videos... Teams videos are sitting on a VHS in my VCR. For them to get online, a few things have to be going on: I can't be running anything but the capture software (this ensures you get around 30 frames per second of video), I have to hit the play button on my VCR and the capture button on my capture software, I have to sit there in real time as the video captures, I have to spend time editing the video together, I have to spend about as much time as I spent capturing the video compressing the video, and then it takes about 30-60 minutes to upload a decent-quality video to YouTube.

Videos are hard work and they generally take up a whole day when I have a large batch to do. Videos from teams would probably take 6 hours to do, which I haven't had the time for, especially considering how much Spore I've been playing.

Also, I won't be able to go to Tipped Off 3. :(

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
It's true! You gotta pay for venues, these people ain't doin it out of the goodness o' their hearts!
and thats the problem. We bring half the equipment ourselves (in most cases), and patronize the the business and spread the word (if the place is cool, like Waba). and in return, we have to pay them just because we're present inside a building? lame

Sensai

Smash Master

post-script:

I am so ****in' jealous, mate. Seriously, can you guys PLEASE start playing on Saturdays or at least a more accessible day than Thursday?

saintrage

Smash Cadet
Yup, me and Rob played for atleast an hour and a half. :D
Ya, thursday was awesome. I missed smash alot. Also, i totally bombed that Calculus test the next day. I was gonna fail at it anyway, so i mgiht aswell have kept playing smash all through the night >.<

Kick *** at the tournament in georgia guys, Moogle you better represent! you too joot, you're better than you let on ;)

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I am so ****in' jealous, mate. Seriously, can you guys PLEASE start playing on Saturdays or at least a more accessible day than Thursday?
Only for you, man. Only for you. The truth is that my love for Melee has been rekindled. We were on the rocks for a while, but sometimes that's how it has to happen. I think I'll bring Soul Calibur more often as well. Are you in HSV on the weekends, Sensai?

j00t

Smash Champion
Ya, thursday was awesome. I missed smash alot. Also, i totally bombed that Calculus test the next day. I was gonna fail at it anyway, so i mgiht aswell have kept playing smash all through the night >.<

Kick *** at the tournament in georgia guys, Moogle you better represent! you too joot, you're better than you let on ;)
I bailed at the last minute. >_>

Sensai

Smash Master
I can be in Huntsville on most weekends...and I'm pretty sure that I can bring Bloshi with me if he cares to come.

j00t

Smash Champion
I can be in Huntsville on most weekends...and I'm pretty sure that I can bring Bloshi with me if he cares to come.
Moogle has been attending tournaments for the past two weekends. And he also went to one this weekend. And he'll be going to one next weekend.

So this is why there hasn't been any weekend smashfests. :<

Top Bottom