• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Phenix City here I come!

I'm going to try to hold off on any more Gamebox tournaments for now. Alabama is getting the same 5-10 people at every tournament plus a few locals it seems like.

The next tournament should be at Playover in Ensley this Saturday even though I haven't seen Isaac post anything on it.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone in Huntsville have the Goodbooks album? I must have it! I'm hoping Rob or Coach read this desperate plea soon. If someone has it, i'm bringing my flash drive to the next smashfest!!

I keep going to Rob's profile on Myspace and listen to Leni. It's really sad how much i want this band.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
lol @ me doing the opposite of that.
"Sorry man, but I'm not going to wait around forever to play."
"I've got a gig to run tonight, can't make it later in the day."

Basically they became disinterested after I had to explain that melee was gonna be played first.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone in Huntsville have the Goodbooks album? I must have it! I'm hoping Rob or Coach read this desperate plea soon. If someone has it, i'm bringing my flash drive to the next smashfest!!

I keep going to Rob's profile on Myspace and listen to Leni. It's really sad how much i want this band.
I got you covered; it's actually the Crystal Castles remixes you seek. As far as music goes, Coach and Moogle are definitely top-tier. :)

Also, you must tell me more about the Gaffigan show. I love hot pockets.

Edit: I finished EarthBound yesterday. Wow.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Since when did the headliner acts go FIRST?
When the draw is not enough for people to want to wait.

Plus one dude had a gig he had to go do later on in the day and couldn't wait around.

t spaceballs: these guys were on the level! New blood who are cool and nice to talk to.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
"Sorry man, but I'm not going to wait around forever to play."
"I've got a gig to run tonight, can't make it later in the day."

Basically they became disinterested after I had to explain that melee was gonna be played first.
anyway i wrote something mean about how brawl players are brats which most of them are, but i'm not going to get into that.

tournaments last all day, you're not going to make it home for supper. it has nothing to do with the game being played. if it was all brawl it would have started at one or two and lasted all night either way, and mr. gig to run wouldn't have made it anyway.

and to be honest. I'd rather have spaceballs, iori, nesnoob etc. at my tournament than these dimwits you're speaking of. lol @ didn't want to wait around. um...show up to the event you're going to play then maybe?

but this just gives me more to think about in terms of how the AL tournament scene will fare. It's not going to survive with people who aren't willing to come to tournaments unless they can fit it into their already planned out schedule. It spits in the face of "competitive gaming". I don't run tournaments to give people something to do for a few hours on saturday. i run them to provide an outlet for competitive smash in my area. People who want to do this, and are excited about it. Not some **** to crash before your gig. But its looking like there aren't enough people like that to warrant competitive Brawl in AL.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
And you know whats funny.
Now that I think about it. Maybe I should have put Brawl first.
Because I think spaceballs, iori, and nesnoob would have STILL come for melee even if they had to WAIT.

how times have changed.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
They aren't dimwits. They had about zero interest in melee duder. It's not like I could have said "hey, show up at 4 for the brawl!" I couldn't even tell them how many events there would be before it for certain.

Oh, and janitor, you should really back the hell off about the gig thing, since I know you've missed tournies to do your job.

And is it not enough that these people were interested in playing the **** game?

EDIT: The tourney was supposed to start when, 11:00? Yeah, woulda given some time.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
When the draw is not enough for people to want to wait.

Plus one dude had a gig he had to go do later on in the day and couldn't wait around.

t spaceballs: these guys were on the level! New blood who are cool and nice to talk to.
hahaha too funny. Maybe Melee should be last cause the draw is good enough for people to wait two or three hours.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
They aren't dimwits. They had about zero interest in melee duder. It's not like I could have said "hey, show up at 4 for the brawl!" I couldn't even tell them how many events there would be before it for certain.

Oh, and janitor, you should really back the hell off about the gig thing, since I know you've missed tournies to do your job.

And is it not enough that these people were interested in playing the **** game?

EDIT: The tourney was supposed to start when, 11:00? Yeah, woulda given some time.
They didn't want to play the game. they wanted to play the game when had the break times to squeeze it in. That's not who I'm (or anyone) is running tournaments for. This is why Brawl tournaments are under represented. for some reason a lot of the new Brawl players just play the game as a spare time activity, rather than as a competitive smasher, which isn't worth the effort it takes to plan, advertise, and run a tournament.

It's really not that hard. about 10 of people did it. They didn't want to play melee, so they showed up later to play brawl teams. They didn't moan because they had to wait an hour or two. It's really not a hard concept.

Sure I've missed tournaments, but I didn't expect the TO to change their schedule to fit mine. I just missed it and went to the next one. (and btw it had nothing to do with what game was being played) I chalked it up to MY SCHEDULE. not to anything THE TOURNAMENT OPERATOR did.

The only reason the tournament started at eleven is because I was running two games. otherwise I like to give people time to sleep and travel. so, if it were an all brawl tournament, it would have started in the afternoon, and someone who was busy that night wouldn't have made it.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Janitor, although I was unable to attend this weekend, thanks for going out of your way to host two fine tournaments. That in itself is an ambitious feat. Let's not lose focus of that because of a few less dedicated attendees. Keep doing what you do, and Smash will continue to grow in the south.

Also, who's going to the Birmingham Play Over tourney this weekend?

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I want to go, but I don't think Moogle's up for it. If anyone in the Hunts can drive me, I'll give $30 for gas.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
I want to go, but I don't think Moogle's up for it. If anyone in the Hunts can drive me, I'll give $30 for gas.
Pops of CTown has also expressed an interest in going, and if my Big Spring Jam plans don't conflict, I'm willing to drive Huntsvillians to the tourney. However, in the likely event that I cannot go, you and Pops should communicate.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
i would have attended janitor's tournament, if my parents would have let me be out that late, in another city, i promise.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
george are you going? lemme know and you can pick me up :-D or if you give me like ten bucks or more for gass i can pick you

has anyone confirmed that the tournament is actually happening though??

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
There's a bonus Waba tournament this weekend. I lost my wallet and found it with no money, so if I can scrounge up money, I'm going to that.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
hahaha too funny. Maybe Melee should be last cause the draw is good enough for people to wait two or three hours.
Or the people that were there for melee also played some brawl? Or the few that only wanted to play melee would be more willing to wait?

My bottom line was attracting new blood and keeping the scene from becoming stale. By putting the 'main event,' so to speak, at an undesignated time, some of these newcomers decided not to come.

If I had never been involved in the smash scene, I would have never go to a tourney where the people told me "Yeah, we'll play halo for a couple hours then we'll start the smash thing whenever that finishes."

I think you're being rather ridiculous, Janitor, assuming that anyone worthwhile would drop anything they could for a smash tourney. They decided "I have no idea when this thing is going to be, so rather than be late and completely miss it or wait in line for who knows how long, I'll just do something else."

I think you're also taking some of this personally, Janitor. I'm not trying to affront on you, I'm just stating some facts. If you had done X differently, more people would have showed up. You don't have to get really defensive about this sort of criticism, since it's rather objective.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The only tournies I'll be going to are ones that are in T-town or at Vulcanbox, due to law school obligations and football.

And I'll probably add a restriction that Moogle be there too :O

NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I was all set to argue with Munkus over something, and then he posted some lovable sexism and now I've completely forgotten what I was going to argue about.

Clearly law school has done him well.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'm not taking it personally i'm just frustrated in my naiveness in thinking that the brawl scene would be as dedicated to competitive smash as the melee scene was.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
I'll probably be sleep-deprived, but I'll try to make it to Playover this month. I think I can drive, Janitor.

Top Bottom