• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
lots of people still play sf2turbo over 4

they have for years

the majority of people i know who play h3 who played h2 competitively only moved from h2 to h3 because that's where the competition is.

brawl+ is the future of competitive smash?

imo bad examples, but i get what you mean

i was asking a rhetorical brawl bashing question anyway.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
lots of people still play sf2turbo over 4

they have for years

the majority of people i know who play h3 who played h2 competitively only moved from h2 to h3 because that's where the competition is.

brawl+ is the future of competitive smash?

imo bad examples, but i get what you mean

i was asking a rhetorical brawl bashing question anyway.
and lots of people still play melee over brawl and brawl+

and your sentence about halo is pretty much exactly my point verbatim

i dont think brawl+ is the future of smash, but it might be, and if it is, those who are interested in the mainstream competitive smash scene might do well to get acquainted with it

i mean there are some people who think brawl+ is the second coming of smash jesus, and that they've actually succeeded in making a better game, but most people I think just consider it sort of an experiment, honestly just another fun game to play, which is what I wish we all could consider all the games

but i'm sure you're just talking smack anyway lawl

<3 sleepyk

SleepyK

mike g rubbing his chin generates enough static electricity to power chicago.

nah, imo brawl+ is an interesting experiment and could very well be the competitive future of brawl, but that's not very likely.
the only way that would be possible is if brawl burned out insanely fast and there were only new players who would not be disoriented/confused by the hacks.
One thing that strikes be about brawl+ (and brawl in general, i guess) is that it carries over the programming error (made into game code) that is L canceling. however, it doesn't bring anything new to smash bros. 64 had the combos/consecutive hits/SDI/chaingrabs/mindgames etc
melee introduced wavedashing/asdi/better di and a bunch of other mechanics that really made it different

and brawl just stretches the existing melee mechanics without adding anything radically new. there's stiff like idc, dac, dlx, etc. but for the most part they aren't universal gameplay changing mechanics. i dunno, i liked the idea that each game was "moving forward" in the world of advanced techniques as opposed to trying to be radically different from each other.

course i still don't see why you wouldn't just play melee <3

stingers

Smash Obsessed
*walks in*

I think they didn't add ****loads of new gameplay mechanics to Brawl because Melee was almost perfect how it was and they didn't want to ruin it.

Like the pokemon games. They got it right early, so they're not gonna ruin a good thing.

SleepyK

i'd like to see a melee+ tbh
the melee hacking community is almost nonexistant. there isn't even a proper texture extractor or injector. there's a partially completed extractor that one guy is holding on to like a frail butthole's first night in prison. the audio hacking can be done but a lot of the required tools are no longer online or easily obtainable (i've searched for weeks) :/

and that's not very likely. sakurai wanted to create a party game in which you could feel like you won even if you lost. we, as a gaming community, turned a "party" game into a semicompetitive fighter. brawl just has the worst translation into one because sakurai deliberately designed it not to be.

too bad he had 3 year olds test the game. 3 year olds on meth.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
brawl + is for brawl bashers like sleepyk
lol
i see it as a way to just poke fun at brawl.

i like brawl.
but i play SF alpha3 over SF4.
SF4 is garbage imo.

i dont like it at all.

and halo is for ****ign losers.
i hate that game.
and any first person shooter for that matter.

literally 2 out of every 3 kids claim to play halp competitively.
everything but old 8 bit NES games and 2D fighters are garbage imo.
espicially 3D fighters. oh god. dont get me started.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
t1j's about to write a lot of **** guys. sorry. i'm off today and have nothing to do

i'd like to see a melee+ tbh
the melee hacking community is almost nonexistant. there isn't even a proper texture extractor or injector. there's a partially completed extractor that one guy is holding on to like a frail butthole's first night in prison. the audio hacking can be done but a lot of the required tools are no longer online or easily obtainable (i've searched for weeks) :/

and that's not very likely. sakurai wanted to create a party game in which you could feel like you won even if you lost. we, as a gaming community, turned a "party" game into a semicompetitive fighter. brawl just has the worst translation into one because sakurai deliberately designed it not to be.

too bad he had 3 year olds test the game. 3 year olds on meth.
melee was also deliberately designed to be noncompetitive, and in many ways it is
but I suppose after seeing that his easter eggs like L-cancelling actually led to a huge skill gap, sakura tried harder in brawl by adding bull**** like smashballs and tripping

melee was clearly more like a sequel and brawl is more like a completely different game, its disingenuous and biased to say that there is 'nothing new' in it. the entire game mechanics are different. it's slower, there's no hitstun, it way floatier, the characters are larger in relation to the stages, you auto grab ledges, you can grab backwards, the lag-cancelling system is completely overhauled, and there is move decay.

the heavily reduced hitstun and air dodge system is conducive to you using your brain in the air way more than you had to in melee. and definitely more than in 64, which was almost zero. You just got launched, comboed, and tryed to regroup (if you didn't lose your stock)...you could DI, but DI became more about muscle memory than using your brain. (although I do agree the DI system in melee is much more developed...but it sort of had to be or less the combo system would be utterly broken)..now the reduced hitstun obviously makes the game less interesting to watch (and play, for people [of which there seem to be many] that think a game isn't good if it doesnt have combos...but my personal opinion [with which obviously lots of people disagree] is that, from a competitive standpoint, a system which forces you to have to out think your opponent pretty much everytime you hit them > one that lets you get an automatic series of hits after landing one...i strongly believe combos are only a standard in fighting games because of their "cool factor" (which is okay, because that makes games more fun)...not because they make games better. I shouldnt have to make a mistake and then get heat extend, RC, slash, heat extend, heavenly potemkin buster. that's not balanced lol at least in other games they have the decency of making moves take less damage the further the combo lasts. melee doesn't grant this balancing tool)...
i dont have a problem with tech skill at all, and probably the number 1 thing that melee has over brawl is the ability to move around the stage as fluidly as you are able to do. the argument people make is melee = tech skill and mindgames...and brawl = mindgames...which makes it seem like melee is the deeper game...but the analogy I use is melee is like basketball (tech skill and mindgames) and brawl is like poker (mindgames)...and no one argues that basketball is deeper than poker or that poker is deeper than basketball.

pivot grabbing, and pivot walking or whatever its called, is amazing...and it just as much a skill gap widening technique as something like wavedashing, when used properly. to some extent it expands your movement, and obviously it gives your another spacing option. It would have been great to have this in melee or even 64.

people complain about auto-latch edges, but really you'd only complain about that if you think being able to stand at the edge and marth f-smash over and over again until your opponent died was a good thing. Like multiple air-dodging, auto-latch edges makes you have to actually out-think your opponent to edgeguard them. my two year old little sister can stand at the edge and f-smash. auto-latch edges force the better player to win the stock. Literally, there's no way for the player who is worse to win the stock. the worse that could happen is the recovering player grabs the edge (which, with the exception of planking...is a disadvantageous position), and maybe he gets up and the positions resets.. But the better player never loses the stock. I've been able to kill better players in melee just by standing at the edge and f-smashing. I'm not outplaying my opponent. I'm taking advantage of a ****ed up game mechanic. that's why auto-latch edges are good. Maybe it could have been done better to make the defending player have to try harder, but its def. better than melee's version. The game favors the person on the defensive, thats no secret...but that's not a bad thing, that's just how the game is. It's just a different game, which different edge mechanics. one would only complain about that if they wanted the game to be melee. which you shouldn't expect from a game that's not melee.

landing lag on aerials has been completely made better in my opinion. L-cancelling was okay in melee in that it made the game playable, for example without L-cancelling, characters like bowser and ganon would be basically unplayable...but that's not a sign of a good game mechanic...'hey guys we secretly added this game mechanic just the make game playable'...brawl's system is better imo. some moves have lag, some don't...and most characters (including bowser and ganon) have a mixture of low-lag aerials, and high lag aerials...makes your move selection even more important...and further increase what I believe is the theme in brawl: making you think to beat your opponent. in melee and 64 you could use basically whatever move you wanted because any aerial could be l-cancelled...personally I like being forced to think carefully about what move I should use and when. Move Decay also forces you to think about this

anyway this post is getting too long. I'm just saying that I think there are lots of new exciting gameplay stuff in brawl. I don't really understand how someone can say that there isn't. and i want to restate that I don't think brawl is better than melee or melee is better than brawl (although I think they're both better than 64...sry moogle :-P)...i think melee has somethings it does better (fun to watch, unlimited movement options, not completely biased towards the defender), and i think brawl does things better (not relying on L-cancelling to make the game playable, characters are more balanced overall imo, generally forcing you to use your brain more in general)...and i think both games fail in lots of ways: Sheik/MK ****** everyone, infinites, dumb stages, etc.

if the smash community as a whole weren't full of biased13 year old kids who don't know ****, i would love to look into a "Balanced" smash game, much like SF HD Remix's balanced mode. it could be done for all the games honestly. fix links recovery in 64, shorten marth's grab range in melee, fix snakes uptilt hitbox in brawl. iono but this community would probably end up making an even worse game.

i think the one thing that makes the least sense to me is how people make it seem like you can't play two or all of the smash games simultaneously. "Why don't you just play melee?" Well as you are aware, I do lol. "They don't want to ruin a good thing". How does making a new game in anyway affect the old game lol. I just play games I like, and I like all three smash games, and I play all three smash games. And if someone wants to hav ea tournament for any of those smash games, I will go because they're all good and the brokeness of them fails to override the skill and fun factor.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Ok so everyone going to FINAL SMASH... can you guys keep me updated.
my parents need to know details in order to let me go.
they just wanna know when i would have to leave my house and where i would meet up with you guys at.

would i have to leave friday night? or super early on saturday? or what? and brimingham is so confusing, i would probably just have to go to janitors house or something. idk.

but keep me in the loop guys, if you dont i wont be able to go.

coach

Smash Apprentice
is that coffee pasta?

also,
brawl + is for brawl bashers like sleepyk
lol
i see it as a way to just poke fun at brawl.

i like brawl.
but i play SF alpha3 over SF4.
SF4 is garbage imo.

i dont like it at all.

and halo is for ****ign losers.
i hate that game.
and any first person shooter for that matter.

literally 2 out of every 3 kids claim to play halp competitively.
everything but old 8 bit NES games and 2D fighters are garbage imo.
espicially 3D fighters. oh god. dont get me started.
u mad?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Ok so everyone going to FINAL SMASH... can you guys keep me updated.
my parents need to know details in order to let me go.
they just wanna know when i would have to leave my house and where i would meet up with you guys at.

would i have to leave friday night? or super early on saturday? or what? and brimingham is so confusing, i would probably just have to go to janitors house or something. idk.

but keep me in the loop guys, if you dont i wont be able to go.
presuming you mean LasT smash
we haven't come up with anything though...but we are leaving Saturday morning I'm sure. and if you are coming to my house, you can come whenever you want. you could spend the night here or come that morning. its pretty easy to get to my house. i would imagine you'd be going 65N, and you just go there to 20E and get off on montevallo rd. and go straight for min. turn left go up a big ***** hill and my ****s right there

SleepyK

i actually played h2 competitively as in i had a 4 man team scrimmed with mlg pros and won some games.

we were pretty ok but we never made it to any events :/
then we disbanded before the online ladder.

melee has pivot stuffs lololololo

t1j l2 mixup recovery and walltech

t1j your post about melee and 64 was a little more informed than my ignorant brawl bashing, but you still are generalizing your points. I guess it's only fair since I only know stuff about brawl from GA's players and reflex.

really, if you didn't have to think about your aerials then why is dashdance to grab so good? sorry if you're throwing out nairs with fox all day i'm just gonna out space you and grab.

brawl doesn't even force you to think, really. it has a plethora of stupid things that are guaranteed on connect (Tilt lock, ztd unDIable chaingrabs, etc). melee had a few of these but for the most part they were DIable or you had a multitude of options to escape. you can just metaknight and up-b slash dsmash dsmash rinse repeat tornado (not really, that won't beat you the higher to top players. well, it does, but there's thinking involved)

combos aren't there simply for cool factor, but that's been a staple since like sf1. imo it's about punishing and practice. you're rewarded for punishing your opponent and for the combo that you practiced or are able to do because you practiced and put time and effort into it. brawl's learning curve is a lot smaller and shorter than other fighters <_<

I understand that given a plethora of defensive options on every hit is a sounds like a great competitive game, but it's not. getting slide head to rc to extend to potbuster whatever is your fault for making the mistake. good fighting games have never been about forgiving you for your mistakes and not letting the other person punish you when you make them. *cough doa cough*

let's take a fighting game

every character is the same or very similar. they all have the basic ground combo into launcher + 3 hit magic combo or ground magic combo. no one has a fireball to avoid lockdowns. everyone has a shoryu whatever. combos can be escaped easily after one or two hits.

but there's no blockstun. you cannot shieldstring, as they can just hit you out of it (a la baiken) or they can simply move away while blocking/after a successful block as to increase defensive options
there are no supers as somehow at least one would be overpowered.

sounds balanced!

here's how the game would play

wait until the other person attacks and block

get your magic combo then go back to waiting to block. you're better off blocking the whole time.

the issue with the poker/basketball thing is that they're completely different.
brawl and melee are part of the same series and generally are supposed to play similarly.
so it'd be like football and two hand touch.

btw sirlin's remix is actually gutter trash. sf2turbohf is how you fight like gentlemen.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
wait... i get off on the montevallo exit to get to your house t1j?
thats cool.

and id come friday night then lol

SleepyK

ZOMG HES FLAMING REPORT TO MDOERATEROS BAN HIM BAN HIM BAN HIM BAN HIM CLEARLY HE IS BEING DISREPSECTUVLY AND FALMING

jk jk

I hear "Heartz" is in AL this week or something. Not sure who that is, but they had a pink title.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
t1j your post about melee and 64 was a little more informed than my ignorant brawl bashing, but you still are generalizing your points. I guess it's only fair since I only know stuff about brawl from GA's players and reflex.

really, if you didn't have to think about your aerials then why is dashdance to grab so good? sorry if you're throwing out nairs with fox all day i'm just gonna out space you and grab.
yeah, you have to think to land the first hit but I mean after the opponent is already launched. you basically memorize what to do next. with falcon, you outwit your opponent and land a nair...nair leads to grab, leads to d-throw, leads to upair and whatever else depending on the character. every time. requires no thinking. and the same thing for the person being launched, he memorizes how to DI based on what's happening. its not thinking its just regurgitating and requires basically fast fingers and no brain power.

brawl doesn't even force you to think, really. it has a plethora of stupid things that are guaranteed on connect (Tilt lock, ztd unDIable chaingrabs, etc). melee had a few of these but for the most part they were DIable or you had a multitude of options to escape. you can just metaknight and up-b slash dsmash dsmash rinse repeat tornado (not really, that won't beat you the higher to top players. well, it does, but there's thinking involved)
Brawl has a few things like that. like very few. and most of them are basically just as (if not less) damaging than a typical combo in melee.
saying that these kind of moves define the whole or a majority or even a significant amount of how brawl is played is basically just incorrect.

combos aren't there simply for cool factor, but that's been a staple since like sf1. imo it's about punishing and practice. you're rewarded for punishing your opponent and for the combo that you practiced or are able to do because you practiced and put time and effort into it. brawl's learning curve is a lot smaller and shorter than other fighters <_<
the learning curve to be able to make it out of pools in a brawl tournament is small and short because everyone sucks at brawl right now except like maybe four or five people. the learning curve to actually be good at brawl is very high, and possibly unattainble for some people because it requires you to be smart.

I understand that given a plethora of defensive options on every hit is a sounds like a great competitive game, but it's not. getting slide head to rc to extend to potbuster whatever is your fault for making the mistake. good fighting games have never been about forgiving you for your mistakes and not letting the other person punish you when you make them. *cough doa cough*
you shouldn't be forgiven for your mistakes but you shouldn't lose half of your life bar off of one either, imo.

let's take a fighting game

every character is the same or very similar. they all have the basic ground combo into launcher + 3 hit magic combo or ground magic combo. no one has a fireball to avoid lockdowns. everyone has a shoryu whatever. combos can be escaped easily after one or two hits.

but there's no blockstun. you cannot shieldstring, as they can just hit you out of it (a la baiken) or they can simply move away while blocking/after a successful block as to increase defensive options
there are no supers as somehow at least one would be overpowered.

sounds balanced!

here's how the game would play

wait until the other person attacks and block

get your magic combo then go back to waiting to block. you're better off blocking the whole time.

the issue with the poker/basketball thing is that they're completely different.
brawl and melee are part of the same series and generally are supposed to play similarly.
so it'd be like football and two hand touch.

btw sirlin's remix is actually gutter trash. sf2turbohf is how you fight like gentlemen.
The problem with forcing me to compare brawl to melee because "they're in the same series" is that that is a completely arbitrary reason. Brawl and Melee are "completely different' almost as different as basketball is from poker, the only similarity being that the number of moves and general objective (to knock your opponent off the stage) is the same. Obviously a lot of the ideas from previous smash games were carried over, but the game is completely different. It takes a different kind of skill to win at it.

and that game doesnt sound balanced to me. it sounds like paper rock scissors without the scissors.

most fighting games are paper rock scissors with an extra one called "combos" which beats all three. but you have to win a regular paper rock scissors matchup before you can use it, which makes it bearable, but not necessarily balanced.
brawl attempts to make a pure paper rock scissors game...and it fails in someways, the most significant probably being the fact that you cant DI out of **** which would fix almost everything that's dumb about the game...chaingrabs, tilt locks, grab release (excpet maybe IC's stuff, but there's ****ing 2 of them can't expect much) but more than not I think it succeeds. (i'd be interested to see a brawl+ that gives the ability to DI out of chaingrabs and locks better)

SleepyK

t1j please just have fast fingers with falcon and land a ztd. please.
you know what
that would mean that being able to destroy computers would guarantee that you'd win as long as you got the first hit in.

okay so

a balanced fighting game for you would be single hit punishes with a wealth of defensive options.

sounds more like a puzzle type game than a fighting game.

imo if we're to try to move the entire genre down towards mental play, you might as well play chess

chess is the best fighting game
srs if you don't want to have to worry about quick reflexes and practiced combos you should just play purely mental games like chess. you'd probably get a wealth more enjoyment out of it.
if it's too slow then you could just play timed turns

it's not apples an oranges with melee and brawl
it's like fuji apples and granny smith apples or something.

j00t

Smash Champion
This thread isn't any fun anymore.

You guys should come to my Melee thread and not talk about Brawl there.

SleepyK

sorry joot
we weren't arguing or being angry, it was a debate-ish thing.
i <3 t1j and i like brawl just fine.

no more posts abutt it from me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This thread isn't any fun anymore.

You guys should come to my Melee thread and not talk about Brawl there.
We should all talk about Pokemon.

I'm making this super-cool Gastrodon right now, to match up with my Magcargo. Slug and snail unite.

SleepyK

reflex is getting heady into this pokemon thing
maybe it's time i learned about it instead of hearing xif and marsfool beat people with dumb teams

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
ummmmmmm

am i the only person in smash that doesnt play pokemon?

lets talk about guilty gear...and how horrible faust is even though he is the coolest person on the roster and how similar potempkin and MK are.

SleepyK

i don't play pokemon, but i hear about it all the time.

guilty gear is a good game.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
reflex is getting heady into this pokemon thing
maybe it's time i learned about it instead of hearing xif and marsfool beat people with dumb teams
It's pretty cool; lots of variety involved. With Diamond/Pearl, the game got really, really fast-paced, which I dislike but I'm getting over.

I didn't know that XIF and MarsFool played; I should talk with them about it.

SleepyK

they play on shoddybattle all the time with marty and pokeluis. Pokeluis is uber beast and a cool dude.

imo we should have a pokemon TCG (trading card game) side tournament with only gen 1 expansions!
i'd drive to AL for it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
they play on shoddybattle all the time with marty and pokeluis. Pokeluis is uber beast and a cool dude.

imo we should have a pokemon TCG (trading card game) side tournament with only gen 1 expansions!
i'd drive to AL for it.
Let's all play the Game Boy game for the TCG. That was so much fun.

SleepyK

game boy TGC was out of this world

but i like having the cards in my hand too

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Hey I play pkmn. :]

Tell me when you guys get on shoddy. I'd like to play y'all.

Top Bottom