• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
because it's important to understand recovery in order to be able to use it effectively

nah we're just a bunch of whiners

matt4300

Smash Ace
Winnar is getting dumbar.
Ah man, No, please tell me that was Derp... For shame Jay....

**** I wanna smash... I have a bunch of new playable levels and fixes. Plus I overwrote almost ALL of my music. Let me know a good day to come over guys.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
hey guys i figured out how to play brawl.

if you are not pissing off scrubs by the way you play then you are not doing it right.

scrubs pretty much means everyone except elev8 and biglou and m2k and ally.

discuss.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Sleepy what part of GA are you in?

I wish you melee people lived closer to me so I could get better quicker.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I know and understand way more about melee than i do about brawl.
i dont think its fair to throw out my opinion on melee just because ive become a 'brawl player'. i played melee for way longer than i played brawl

and stalls aren't good because ppl "fall for them", they're good when people are trying to edge hog you and you down b near the ledge forcing them to roll up or get hit, things like that. or you cape when they think you're going to up b. things like that.

BUT IM NOT GOING TO ARGUE WITH DOGY ABOUT HIS CHARACTER

roy is just fail. roy can extend his horizontal distance on his up b, but this is at the cost of some vertical distance. the only other option roy has is to up b through his opponent onto the stage, but at low enough percents, they can get hit by it, and still recover quick enough to punish the lag once you hit the ground.

roy is a boss though. i maintain he's the most underrated character in competitive melee

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
well he's probably not underrated
his place on the tier list is about right imo

but no one shows him any love

it was like marty, exarch, and mslano and thats all

and me, but i suck

Winnar

Smash Lord
i dont think its fair to throw out my opinion on melee just because ive become a 'brawl player'.
honestly I think that this...
i maintain roy's the most underrated character in competitive melee
...has more to do with why you're not considered an expert on competitive melee than the fact that you play brawl

but imo...idk maybe zelda for most underrated?

I used to think yoshi but then I stopped lying to myself

j00t

Smash Champion
It's just his opinion, I think that GnW is pretty underrated but that's only because I play him.

j00t

Smash Champion
Why, because I say he is? :p

GnW sucks... only real "advantage" he has in high-tier matchups is vs. Jiggs and Falcon :p

but then again Roy doesn't have that hmmmmm

maybe GnW is boss :p

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
I never see any Game and Watch love, but haven't we talked about him before? Something along the lines of having a really good offense, but a really bad defense? Idk, I'd like some enlightenment on the character.

j00t

Smash Champion
has a really one-dimensional offense (but good if the opponent doesn't know what's going on)
has a really bad defense
etc.

if you play GnW like a ****** then he can have a good defense, shffl fairs all day

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think Game and Watch is pretty cool
if he had a shield a recovery, and could l-cancel his moves, he'd be pretty sweet.

i like how fluid GW's movements are

i think GW is better than Zelda, but other than that his tier spot seems right imo

see if i would have came in before joot saying "GAME AND WATCH IS UNDERRATED", winnar would have posted a paragraph explaining why i was wrong and an animated gif under it

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
usually when i play bad characters, I feel handicapped because they're so bad. like if i play mewtwo or zelda or young link, or yoshi i feel handicapped.

but when i play roy or GW, I feel like I'm playing a mid tier character.

maybe their styles just appeal to how i play or something

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
judge told me not to play wifi metakniight because i wont get better like that.

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
Kola you should come over this weekend; Matt you can come over this weekend too. Bring some swim shorts guys.
Austin, I thought you were back in Montevallo.

But Matt can only come over if he fixes his avatar--

Seeing "Sato" makes me die a little inside :(

btw, how can we have Kola's profile saved if I'm on right now, Russ? Zero told me he doesn't know Kola's password. Now Mc-killa's LeTale account on the other hand. >.>

Like a Boss!

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Slam, if the connection isn't ****, I'll play WiFi with you.

By the way, my friend code is 4555-3720-1497 at the moment.

SleepyK

I know and understand way more about melee than i do about brawl.
i dont think its fair to throw out my opinion on melee just because ive become a 'brawl player'. i played melee for way longer than i played brawl

and stalls aren't good because ppl "fall for them"
, they're good when people are trying to edge hog you and you down b near the ledge forcing them to roll up or get hit, things like that. or you cape when they think you're going to up b. things like that.
lol what
so stalls aren't good because people fall for stalls, as in... they aren't good because they present you with an ambiguous state of recovery where you can confuse your opponent into picking the wrong option to cover.
that's bad.

but what IS good about stalls is when you stall out in the air, presenting a fakeout of sorts where you present an ambiguous state where you can choose a number of recovery options.. where you trick them into covering the wrong one.

thanks t1j, for telling me i was wrong then reiterating what i said in the first place.

BUT IM NOT GOING TO ARGUE WITH DOGY ABOUT HIS CHARACTER

roy is just fail. roy can extend his horizontal distance on his up b, but this is at the cost of some vertical distance. the only other option roy has is to up b through his opponent onto the stage, but at low enough percents, they can get hit by it, and still recover quick enough to punish the lag once you hit the ground.

roy is a boss though. i maintain he's the most underrated character in competitive melee
doc's down b has no priority. the cape is hardly a stall, once again. t1j no offense, but just because you played melee for a long time doesn't mean you can understand concepts and make authoritative posts about the competitive aspect. especially since... sorry to say, you sux. i'm not saying you have to be good at the game to have intelligent opinions about it, but you have to at least understand the advanced concepts and have a firm grasp on the mechanics of the game. your posts and opinions about the game clearly showcase your lack of both.

well he's probably not underrated
his place on the tier list is about right imo

but no one shows him any love

it was like marty, exarch, and mslano and thats all

and me, but i suck
see, this makes a lot more sense than just posting a completely outrageous opinion

honestly I think that this...

...has more to do with why you're not considered an expert on competitive melee than the fact that you play brawl
thx winnar

It's just his opinion, I think that GnW is pretty underrated but that's only because I play him.
i think Game and Watch is pretty cool
if he had a shield a recovery, and could l-cancel his moves, he'd be pretty sweet.

i like how fluid GW's movements are

i think GW is better than Zelda, but other than that his tier spot seems right imo

see if i would have came in before joot saying "GAME AND WATCH IS UNDERRATED", winnar would have posted a paragraph explaining why i was wrong and an animated gif under it
yea because now you're not posting dumb blanket statements without explaining what you really mean, like with roy.

usually when i play bad characters, I feel handicapped because they're so bad. like if i play mewtwo or zelda or young link, or yoshi i feel handicapped.

but when i play roy or GW, I feel like I'm playing a mid tier character.

maybe their styles just appeal to how i play or something
1) mewtwo - taj, iori
2) zelda - cosmo
3) yl - jash, etc

it's because you don't know how to play those characters. you may have some kind of base understanding about gnw and roy, but please play someone with a good fox or marth or something. you'll feel handicapped.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i didn't say you were wrong about anything, and my post about dr. mario was a response to dogy sammich, so calm down brosef

i don't see dr. marios use stalls as a "fake out" because as dogy mentioned "nobody falls for it", they seem to be used more to force people to get off the ledge. its not a fake out, its not someone "falling for" something, its a basic tool that helps you recover.

dont feel especially handicapped at all against any character when I play roy
i like playing roy against space animals. actually. i prefer to play roy against space animals than I do any other characters.
i played a lot of roy
but i know way more about playing mewtwo than I do game and watch, but i still feel like i'm playing a decent character when i play gw and i feel like i'm a playing a bad character when i'm playing mewtwo.
it doesn't matter if i "know how to play a character"
i have no earthly idea how to play peach, but I still can tell she's a better character than roy (probably the character who i spent the most time playing)

but i guess you know more about my experience with the game than i do

roy vs marth or sheik is pretty bad though, but mostly anybody vs marth or sheik is bad lawl

you dont understand what im saying, perhaps i'm not good at explaining myself
im pretty sure i didn't say anything that shows a lack of understanding of the mechanics of melee. I don't have a lack of understand of the mechanics of melee.
To assume i dont based purely on the fact that I have a different opinion than on relatively insignificant thing like "whose recovery is better', is quite absurd.
but maybe opinions CAN be wrong, i'm not sure
maybe falco DOESN'T die every single time he gets knocked off the stage
maybe its written in the melee bible authored by Sakurai that falco's recovery isn't bad, its just mediocre.
who knows.

and its mostly bias against the guy who debates a lot and sucks at melee.
im pretty convinced that reflex or somebody could come and say game and watch was the best character in melee and you guys would at least hear his opinions out rather than immediately jump down his throat
most of what you're responding to are random comments that werent meant to start a debate,
you're being unnecessarily combative, so i will move on

SleepyK

i dont feel especially handicapped at all against any character when I play roy
i like playing roy against space animals. actually. i prefer to play roy against space animals than I do any other characters.
i played a lot of roy
but i know way more about playing mewtwo than I do game and watch, but i still feel like i'm playing a decent character when i play gw and i feel like i'm a playing a bad character when i'm playing mewtwo.
it doesn't matter if i "know how to play a character"
i have no earthly idea how to play peach, but I still can tell she's a better character than roy (probably the character who i spent the most time playing)

but i guess you know more about my experience with the game than i do

roy vs marth or sheik is pretty bad though, but mostly anybody vs marth or sheik is bad lawl

most of what you're responding to are random comments that werent meant to start a debate,
when characters are bad, it does matter. if you have a better feel for roy than mewtwo when both are bad characters then you're probably going to do better with roy.
how can you tell peach is a better character? because you see other people do well with her, right? you see the application of her moveset and you see other players doing well with her. maybe you've tried to play peach a little and ended up doing fine because of her good moves.
but if you hadn't seen other people do well with her or had never seen her place on the tier list and went by characters on "feel" you'd probably feel handicapped playing peach because you don't know how to control her at all. play my fox with your low tiers and with peach. i'll make you feel handicapped with all of them. i'll make you feel handicapped with top tiers also.

see how "feel" is important?
your specific experiences with the game are irrelevant to this discussion.

i'm not being combative. you're wrong, i am telling you why you are wrong, and now you don't want to debate anymore. you're inserting snide comments on the side for no reason. passive-aggression lololol

im pretty sure i didn't say anything that shows a lack of understanding of the mechanics of melee.
but maybe opinions CAN be wrong, i'm not sure
maybe falco DOESN'T die every single time he gets knocked off the stage
maybe its written in the melee bible authored by Sakurai that falco's recovery isn't bad, its just mediocre.
who knows.
1) lol
2) and he doesn't. you should probably say something like "falco is very likely to die when he is off the stage" instead of every time. want me to post vids where shiz or chops or dr pp make it back to the stage when thrown off because of falco's multitude of recovery options?
i gave you plenty of reasons why falco's recovery is mediocre. dogy even agreed with me. but of course, since you played falco at a high level instead of just watching videos you're more knowledgeable than both of us combined

and its mostly bias against the guy who debates a lot and sucks at melee.
im pretty convinced that reflex or somebody could come and say game and watch was the best character in melee and you guys would at least hear his opinions out rather than immediately jump down his throat
edit CRAP i hate when i'm responding and then the post gets edited.

no, if reflex said that gnw was the best character we'd probably lol because he'd say it jokingly.

if he tried to make serious points, we'd refute him. you should probably stop viewing things as being geared against you because you're you and try to realize that you tend to be wrong... or at least word things horribly, if you refuse to accept that you're wrong.

plus, you honestly don't know much about melee whereas reflex knows more than enough. he wouldn't make posts like
"roy has a better matchup vs fox than marth"
because that's blatantly wrong and stupid. he would more than likely bring up good points while acknowledging character flaws.
he would probably say something akin to
"from my experience, i think gnw has a good chance against fox because...."
instead of making some authoritative post then vehemently refusing to accept counter arguments.

also, you are pretty bad at explaining yourself. if you were a troll, you'd be posting vaguely then being more specifically on purpose. it's very convenient that every time you're refuted, "that wasn't what you meant"

oh yeah
i don't see dr. marios use stalls as a "fake out" because as dogy mentioned "nobody falls for it", they seem to be used more to force people to get off the ledge. its not a fake out, its not someone "falling for" something, its a basic tool that helps you recover.
they're falling for it because doctor mario's down b has no priority. it's a stall, as dogy said.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I posted 2 lines, 1 sentence and I don't remember posting a gif or even any kind of image in a long time. I am honestly trying to stay out of conflicts with you

Why, because I say he is? :p

GnW sucks... only real "advantage" he has in high-tier matchups is vs. Jiggs and Falcon :p

but then again Roy doesn't have that hmmmmm

maybe GnW is boss :p
idk, I just have a lot of fun whenever I play him. I agree with janitor, he feels really fluid and that's maybe my favorite thing in melee, the fluidity of gameplay.

Oh, and janitor the reason I don't have a high opinion of Roy is because I haven't seen anyone seriously play him and do well since like 06 or 07?

Top Bottom