• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
that's what makes brawl different.

i could also make a list about what makes MK different.

or a list about what makes GG different.

etc

in general they all share the basic fighting game mentality.
No, they don't? General fighting game mentality is defeat your opponent by depleting his health.

I mean, is League of Legends/Heroes of Newerth/Defense of the Ancients an RTS because the end goal is to destroy your opponents base?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
depleat health, ko, kill, explode.
those are the same thing. i mean if you want to get into technicalities i go back to what janitor said.

its like saying MK isnt a fighting game because it doesnt have any charecters with headbands, like SF has, and those things sure do come in handy when people sweat and how can you not sweat if youre fighting????!!! so mk NOT FIGHTING GAME!!

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
No, they don't? General fighting game mentality is defeat your opponent by depleting his health.

I mean, is League of Legends/Heroes of Newerth/Defense of the Ancients an RTS because the end goal is to destroy your opponents base?
i dont know anything about RTSs
but
what makes a fighting a game a fighting game is not health bars.
is TMNT smashup a fighting game or a party game? it has health bars
fighting games generally have health bars, but every fighting game has a different perspective on HOW you defeat your opponent. in some games ring outs happen even more than life bar depletion. other games have instant kill moves/combos. some games focus entirely around landing supers that are so powerful that it pretty much makes the health bar null and void to begin with. and there are some games that have no measure of "health" or "stamina" whatsoever.

but what makes a fighting game a fighting game isn't 'fighting' either. this is why (most ) wrestling games and boxing games aren't fighting games.

i think the mentality of a fighting game is the concept of pummeling your opponent by outwitting them by zoning, and in a number of paper-rock-scissors mixups. obviously some games pull it off better than others, but this is why fighting games, unlike many other types of 1v1 multiplayer games naturally lend themselves to competition.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya

Eh I think we should just label everything just as a game. Your views are pretty cool though Janitor. Alas you could do many of the things you stated in a fighting game in something like Fusion Frenzy, Mario Party Minigames, puzzle games and real time strats.

I see what you were trying to explain, it just feels that more times than not you just accidentally turn the situation against your point lol

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Oh, by the way I totally forgot until just now, but GameBox is having its second Starcraft II tournament Saturday. So just in case you were interested or something. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=162903237102630
lol about them Smash tournaments?

Oh and Janitor, my post wasn't to add too the fire lol I was just saying I liked the idea of it, twas just not executed in the way that you're trying to express it.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Not that it really matters, but I have never considered any smash game a fighting game. It's just its own thing and that's okay by me

Mobile - Host a big ol' fashioned smashfest or something so I can come hang out with you guys for the first time EVER. I can bring at least 2 other people, maybe more depending on when you do it.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Not that it really matters, but I have never considered any smash game a fighting game. It's just its own thing and that's okay by me

Mobile - Host a big ol' fashioned smashfest or something so I can come hang out with you guys for the first time EVER. I can bring at least 2 other people, maybe more depending on when you do it.
I'd recommend making plans on doing so for the 20th, then stay for the 21st and attend the Resist New World Order tournament.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord

Eh I think we should just label everything just as a game. Your views are pretty cool though Janitor. Alas you could do many of the things you stated in a fighting game in something like Fusion Frenzy, Mario Party Minigames, puzzle games and real time strats.

I see what you were trying to explain, it just feels that more times than not you just accidentally turn the situation against your point lol
this isnt like "janitor's philosophy" of fighting games.
he's just saying the truth. fighting games are a real genre of games like rpgs. lol
why are we suddenly doubting these things? what is going on?

am i being trolled

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
oh and ryker what other ideas for the PR were tossed around on skype by you guys?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I have two requests.

One:
Stop coloring your posts. It is unbelievably stupid and obnoxious. If you want people to pay attention to you, be witty or funny or original or insightful. "But it makes me unique!" No it doesn't. It makes you one more screaming voice in the abattoir of ******** children that is colored post forumers.

Two:

Stop using little girls as your avatars. That crap is creepy. It's not cute, it's not adorable. You want me to associate your posts with a prepubescent girl? Are you a card-carrying member of NAMBLA?

I have one statements:

I am coming to Huntsville soon, specifically Madison. To live there forever. And I will hang out with Andy and JWT and Will_ and all the rest of the gang. All proud citizens of the "Does Not Creep Munkus Out Online" brigade and overall cool guys.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I have one statements:

I am coming to Huntsville soon, specifically Madison. To live there forever. And I will hang out with Andy and JWT and Will_ and all the rest of the gang. All proud citizens of the "Does Not Creep Munkus Out Online" brigade and overall cool guys.
Will you come play brawl with us then?

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I have two requests.

One:
Stop coloring your posts. It is unbelievably stupid and obnoxious. If you want people to pay attention to you, be witty or funny or original or insightful. "But it makes me unique!" No it doesn't. It makes you one more screaming voice in the abattoir of ******** children that is colored post forumers.

Two:

Stop using little girls as your avatars. That crap is creepy. It's not cute, it's not adorable. You want me to associate your posts with a prepubescent girl? Are you a card-carrying member of NAMBLA?

I have one statements:

o hi there

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I have one statements:

Me too except I'll be at UAH

And I don't find color text obnoxious. It just says hey, that's slam's post, without me having to move my eyes that tiny bit to see his picture.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Two:

I have one statements:

LOOOL

I don't think there has ever been a time where I haven't used a girl as my avatar.

It's great to see you on the boards again though, and with you being in Hunstsville I'd cross my fingers and hope that you'd be willing to play Bawrl with us again (and snag Will_, Moogle, and all of the other Hunstsville semi Brawl players back for us).

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Hey, I'm part of that brigade too! Now let us take off our shirts and kiss and butter up our nipples.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I have one statements:

Hey munkus O:

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Terrible games with beautiful soundtracks make me wish I could give terrible games more of a chance.

Sonic series....whyyyyyyyyyyyy

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
for record, the sonic games aren't "bad". they just don't live up to the standard set by the classics.

and sonic adventure 1 and 2 are prigood imo

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
that green team video of sake and his partner BF is so sad...
that kingdom hearts theme song gets me everytime.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
for record, the sonic games aren't "bad". they just don't live up to the standard set by the classics.

yeah those were fun

but mean Sonic for the xbox, Sonic Secret Rings, and Sonic the Black Knight...Shadow the Hedgehog. Oh god no! Make it stop!

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Shadow the Hedgehog was a great game. It was just the fact that Sega bullcrapped Shadow from being a really profound and tragic hero to a whiny amnesiac with edge.

Sonic 2006 was fun, but, oh my gosh, the loading times were ridiculous. THREE MINUTES JUST TO HEAR A TWO-LINE CONVERSATION?! That, and it was mad glitchy. If they just refined it, it would have been great.

Haven't played Black Knight, Secret Rings, or Unleashed though.

Winnar

Smash Lord

sonic adventure 1 and 2 and the gcn "remakes" are among my favorite games of all time. Chao gardennnnnnnnnnn :D

heroes was pretty bad though :( bad enough that I stopped playing sonic games after that

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Adventure 2 was the last great Sonic game (Chao Garden for dayyyyys). I hear mixed things about everything after that.

Most Sonic fans agree that Sonic '06 is the worst release since then.

Most people that don't actually play Sonic games say Shadow the Hedgehog is the worst since then, but it's really not -terrible.- Just get past their attempts to make Shadow cool with guns and stuff, and there's a passable game to be had.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I didn't play a lot, I just hated what they did to Shadow lol. I didn't even find the idea of using guns fun at all lol

Top Bottom