• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ALASKA Smash Thread

spacing_out

*desperate downsmash*
PEOPLE WHO ARE COMING TO SMASH AT MY PLACE:
Arthur
Mike
Caleb
Me (lol)
Jason

PEOPLE WHO MIGHT BE COMING TO SMASH AT MY PLACE:
Matt+
Orry
TheCatPhysician
Eggz
DarkMusician
Inui
Typh
PC Chris
Mikael
Armada
Ken

spacing_out

*desperate downsmash*
lmao caleb

Good **** last night guys. James, I think you forgot the cap for your USB thingy.

Also, we may have a few Alaskans representing at Apex 2010 at the end of the summer...

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
There is a kid that moved here from Russia like 4 years ago in my school. But nah, not too many russian people. My middle school taught Russian though for whatever reason.

And I'm gonna have to agree with Jason (Xanskar) here, Alaska does suck.

Although we would love to have more smash players so if you have other specific reasons go ahead.

Xanskar

Smash Lord
and as cash mooney aren't you from the lower 48
alaska is too cold for you contiguous state people

ThatOneDudeski

Smash Ace
Sup dudes, Just dropping by to say something that doesn't need to be said.

Furfldorfenheisenblargle.

Also, is just me or do the things the above poster post get more and more meaningless and time goes on..

Also, word to Soulja Boy being pro at smash..

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Except we still pay all the money we would normally pay in sales tax on other taxes, and most of our prices are higher because of larger shipping costs. $6 footlong -_-

EDIT: Good Luck with whatever it is you are doing Levon. Have fun.

EDIT2: I post comics with Batman in them to show them to James, basically.

DQP

Smash Ace
ah, that's true. the cost of living is indeed higher here in alaska. we get higher-paying jobs though...

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
Hawaii: 188.6 People per square Mile
Alaska: 1.03 People per square Mile

And we have half the total population........

Not to mention that being next to the pacific ocean is probably less in the middle of nowhere than next to Canada.......

DQP

Smash Ace
note that alaska is composed of several hundred square miles, and HI has barely a few...

but still, our population pales in comparison to HI, and even canada.

Rina-chan

Smash Journeyman
So as many of you know, Saturday is my last day working for Play N Trade. I told them I'd still like to run smash tournaments over the summer, but judging from how many arms and legs I usually have to pull to get one going, it's pretty doubtful. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to look into some cool venues that don't cost a lot, and we can have "HP bar ****" there too to make up the cost.

spacing_out

*desperate downsmash*
So as many of you know, Saturday is my last day working for Play N Trade. I told them I'd still like to run smash tournaments over the summer, but judging from how many arms and legs I usually have to pull to get one going, it's pretty doubtful. Anyway, hopefully I'll be able to look into some cool venues that don't cost a lot, and we can have "HP bar ****" there too to make up the cost.
I was actually looking at some of the 2nd floor rooms at the Denaina Center not too long ago. They looked like just about the right size. The 3rd floor room could host a Genesis-sized tournament, it's huuuuuuuuge. Butyah, the specs on the 2nd floor rooms I was looking at are as follows:

1,746 square feet of floorspace to accomodate:

* Banquet: 80 - 96 attendees
* Classroom: 80 seats
* Theater: 173 seats

From $499 / day*

Engineering Details

* Floors: wall-to-wall carpet
* Walls: fixed walls painted; sound-dampening Airwalls between rooms 1-2.
* Ceiling: finished, height 13.6'
* Lighting: incandescent; spot
* Speakers: JBL
* Internet: wired fiber-optic and Cat. 5; 802.11g throughout
* Power: ample wall outlets 60Hz 110/220V and phone/data ports

Just something I was looking at...

Mattnumbers

Smash Master
I have a feeling that Yakov jokes will increase exponentially in greatness if Cash moves here.

Oh and In the last like......two weeks I've had a surge of activity in my smash club at school, I'm going to have people give me their E-mails so I can inform them of tournaments. Also I might host some fests. They are all even worse than I am but at least two (if not 4 or 5) of them have definite potential.

DaemonFang

Smash Lord
you people are ******** i have free venues just sittin around, but if you guys want to pay venue fees, thats cool too.

spacing_out

*desperate downsmash*
lol yeah i practice with him once in a while. darkmusician doesn't practice melee anymore though, just brawl.
Hmm, I think that'd be pretty interesting too..

And as far as free venues go, It's a nice contribution by you Mike. However, a venue like that conference room in the Student Union is more suited towards more casual, smashfest-esque events. For a larger event that includes tournaments for a variety of games as well as a casual area would require a much larger setting.

In the past, I've seen few such events that took place in venues such as the Egan Center, the Sports Complex out at Kincaid, the Marriott and the Seattle Center. Don't get me wrong, a gathering of the smash community at your house for smash and a barbecue in your backyard or something would be absolutely great. (I'm actually kinda bummed that I might miss out on such events this summer.) However, a larger event that would include multiple games and people outside of out tight-knit community would be alot of trouble for you to hold at your own home. Might be quite the inconvenience with others residing there too.

Just saying, free venues are great to have as an option. However, we might be dealing with something that is beyond the scope of that.

@Matt
Delete your post, I think I got this one covered.

Top Bottom