• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alberta Beatdown: March 6th - 7th

T-block

B2B TST
There are only 6 (as far as I know) matchups where the walkoff is broken. One of them, D3 vs. DK is basically unwinnable on any stage anyways, and another is D3 vs. Ganondorf. Yoshi, Falco, Pikachu... all the other CG characters can't make it far enough up the slope to kill. As far camping the blastzone, it's not effective here at all because of the upwards slope. If you camp there, you're above your opponent, which is already an inherently bad position.

"Stage floors that extend to blast zones" isn't a ban rule in any case. The criterion is whether a stage offers an overwhelming advantage to one or a small subset of characters such that any matchup against one of those characters is unwinnable. Super Mario Circuit was banned because of walkoffs because D3 could kill most of the cast with one grab. Yoshi's Island Pipes doesn't have any problem like that.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
There are only 6 (as far as I know) matchups where the walkoff is broken. One of them, D3 vs. DK is basically unwinnable on any stage anyways, and another is D3 vs. Ganondorf. Yoshi, Falco, Pikachu... all the other CG characters can't make it far enough up the slope to kill. As far camping the blastzone, it's not effective here at all because of the upwards slope. If you camp there, you're above your opponent, which is already an inherently bad position.

"Stage floors that extend to blast zones" isn't a ban rule in any case. The criterion is whether a stage offers an overwhelming advantage to one or a small subset of characters such that any matchup against one of those characters is unwinnable. Super Mario Circuit was banned because of walkoffs because D3 could kill most of the cast with one grab. Yoshi's Island Pipes doesn't have any problem like that.
1. mk is pretty safe above his opponent, it's called dair

2. top blocks create a "cave of life" effect

3. blocks in the middle are stupid...

4. people don't cp the stage for legit reasons, it's more like unfair strategies like D3 cg'ing those few characters up the slope, camping on the right with mk, or running away forever with the top blocks' help

and seriously, who has been IN FAVOR of this stage other than mark, who loves it because he plays olimar and destroys nearly everybody with it?

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
Why don't we just hold a **** vote for this or something instead of arguing.

It would be easier imo.

T-block

B2B TST
1. mk is pretty safe above his opponent, it's called dair
MK also doesn't gain much from camping the blast zones. For that matter, d-air camping is effective on any other stage as well... I don't see how it's more effective on Yoshi's Pipes because of the blast zone. That brings me to another point - it's actually a bad MK stage... one of the few bad MK stages that could be legal.

2. top blocks create a "cave of life" effect

It barely qualifies as a cave of life, with all the holes in the "ceiling" and the fact that the blocks can be hit to allow passing through. But I realize that's subjective on my part - from my experience on this stage though, the issues associated with "cave of life" (living to insane percents, essentially making it close to random when you die) don't occur on Yoshi's Pipes.

3. blocks in the middle are stupid...
You're gonna have to do better than that.

4. people don't cp the stage for legit reasons, it's more like unfair strategies like D3 cg'ing those few characters up the slope, camping on the right with mk, or running away forever with the top blocks' help
Those 6 characters are Lucario, Link, Ganondorf, Wario, Wolf, DK. DK is gonna lose no matter what stage they go to, and Ganondorf and Link are the two worst characters in the game at the moment. Lucario/Wolf you should have a secondary already if you plan on being tournament viable. As for Wario... that's too bad for Wario I guess. This stage shouldn't be banned for one matchup. Also, MK does poorly on this stage.

and seriously, who has been IN FAVOR of this stage other than mark, who loves it because he plays olimar and destroys nearly everybody with it?
I like this stage. Luke does too, as does Colin. I've also heard a few people say it should be in because it gives players a CP against MK.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
These stages and even going so far into debating levels which have been banned since melee really makes this whole thing laughable.
The way you guys go around tossing points back and forth going nowhere is ridiculous.
Why don't we just play with custom stages on? Haha

Vote is necessary, considering normal rules have these stages banned, those who want them unbanned should have to outvote everyone else by default.
+1 for the banning of ps2, distant planet, and pipes.

T-block

B2B TST
These stages and even going so far into debating levels which have been banned since melee really makes this whole thing laughable.
It's pretty ridiculous I know, but I enjoy it so I keep on doing it lol. In any case, "banned since melee" really means nothing. Brawl is a completely different game =\

Vote is necessary, considering normal rules have these stages banned, those who want them unbanned should have to outvote everyone else by default.
+1 for the banning of ps2, distant planet, and pipes.
I would agree to a vote, but I think it would be flawed because people don't educate themselves about the stage before voting. They vote to ban just because they don't like the stage and never bother to learn the interesting strategies on some of these stages, or how to get around them. I just think it's unfair to those of us who have looked into the stage and deemed it playable =\

But whatever...to be clear, Pipes never was legal for Alberta Beatdown. I wouldn't argue too much against banning Distant Planet here either. I realize it's a controversial stage and it does have issues, so I'd be fine if Luke took it off. Pokemon Stadium 2 on the other hand, I will fight for - I've yet to hear any legitimate complaints about this stage that go beyond "it changes the way I play so I don't like it".

Alphicans

Smash Hero
K guys, I already made quite a few adjustments to the rules I don't wanna wander too far away from the original rule set here. The "standard" rules for brawl at the moment are, in my mind, a bit ridiculous. It has gotten so bad that even pictochat, norfair and japes are being taken off the CP lists. There are plenty of people out there that want all these fair and viable stages to be playable, but people just insist on staying super conservative, and in turn, making the brawl metagame quite stale and well... boring. I'll take off distant planet, but only if you guys agree to pipes.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
Why don't we stage strike with every stage on? To balance it out.

Every stage isn't that bannable anyways.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Brad, I would absolutely love to do that. Unfortunately, I don't think the majority of people would be down for that.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
I don't think you understand. Thats exactly what tyler said for melee, except to add Jungle Japes. We ruled that he was ********.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
We? Don't drag me into that, I like the idea. I think I said it was stupid because of the fact that no one would want to do it, so even suggesting it was going to be instafail.

DTP

L o s t - in reality~
lol I wouldn't mind stage striking all of the stages actually. It'd be interesting.

But having to even consider that kinda means that the stage list is a little too crazy.
I'll live with it though. It'll be fun, so long as it doesn't **** me over.

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
I don't think you understand. Thats exactly what tyler said for melee, except to add Jungle Japes. We ruled that he was ********.
I never suggested that to anybody except to Luke in private, and it would be with the new stage list instead of the old one, considering the new stage list by the MBR only has 9 stages, although it would be tedious. Also I never said anything about adding Jungle Japes either, so clearly you're making **** up once again, proving that you're an idiot.

Also Brad, your argument against stage striking is "oh there's not enough variance in the game", which is absolutely ******** considering the first stage is supposed to be about what's more fair and also because everything comes down to WINNING, hence why people do things like camping and playing gay when there's money on the line, and not about having "variance", although that issue was already addressed by keeping pokestad as neutral.

So you are the last person to argue about anything, really, considering your mindset for smash is a conservative, "the game is fine as it is, it doesn't need changing" approach instead of a more progressive "let's see what we can do to make things better" approach that I can at least credit Mike and Luke for doing, even though I don't agree with his methods of doing it.

T-block

B2B TST
ty tyler <3

sometimes you post things that show that your philosophies about smash basically agree with mine.

and then you act completely against those philosophies and it makes me wonder =(

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
lol that's cause I have bad days and I like to take it out on my smash buddies =( especially victor

tbh I'm okay with some of the changes like pokestad and halberd being neutral but I just don't think anybody should be cp'ing a barely legal "party stage" to win, cause if they're trying to win legit, there's no reason to cp those stage when there's other stages with the same benefits, or benefits that can be achieved in different ways. ie, if somebody wants to prolong their life span with their character, a stage with wide and high blastzones is a LOT more legit than a stage with caves of life

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Bring your A-Game, guys.

I'm not sandbagging in any of my matches at this. Not even friendlies. This might be my last tournament before I decide to take a break (though that might change for the BC tourney in April, I'll see)

Also, entirely Sonic. You won't see anybody else anywhere.

Bread~

Smash Journeyman
I never suggested that to anybody except to Luke in private, and it would be with the new stage list instead of the old one, considering the new stage list by the MBR only has 9 stages, although it would be tedious. Also I never said anything about adding Jungle Japes either, so clearly you're making **** up once again, proving that you're an idiot.

Also Brad, your argument against stage striking is "oh there's not enough variance in the game", which is absolutely ******** considering the first stage is supposed to be about what's more fair and also because everything comes down to WINNING, hence why people do things like camping and playing gay when there's money on the line, and not about having "variance", although that issue was already addressed by keeping pokestad as neutral.

So you are the last person to argue about anything, really, considering your mindset for smash is a conservative, "the game is fine as it is, it doesn't need changing" approach instead of a more progressive "let's see what we can do to make things better" approach that I can at least credit Mike and Luke for doing, even though I don't agree with his methods of doing it.
lol wait, I need to save this.

Also, entirely Sonic. You won't see anybody else anywhere.
Even in melee.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
Ok so it appears Minty wont be able to make it, so I'm going to need a team mate for brawl doubles.
Who's in?
(Preferably someone who is good/I know is good please...)

Limeee

Smash Champion
minus, if you can't find anybody, i can be your partner.

So far i've gotten 5th (beat jack, luke and brandon) and i pretty much consistently place 9th
i'm 7 on PR

i play snake and i play pretty decently with most people in doubles.
like i said i don't mind being a last ditch effort

Fraser

Smash Journeyman
Don't do it Luke Mark needs you AB representing. None of this betrayal stuff, that ain't falco.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
When it comes to teams, brawl is way too serious. Melee tournaments have different teams every time, it's really cool.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Yeah, Melee teams was awesome. Well, even if I did team with Mark every time. But that's besides the point!

Me & Adam gonna do some serious damage this time. I'd team with Mark if Luke went with Minus, but only because this may be my last Brawl tourney for a little while and going out with a bang as the Blind Walruses woulda been legit.

I want to work on that team chemistry with Adam though.

Frio

Smash Champion
When it comes to teams, brawl is way too serious. Melee tournaments have different teams every time, it's really cool.

On a serious note I'll be teaming with fiji if Wilson doesn't go. And if he does go I'll be teaming with Japanman

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
last brawl tourney for a little while? what's going on, brandon?
Just feel like saving money and also taking the time to actually be a normal gamer for once. Like, enjoy the games I haven't touched because all I do is play Smash Bros.

I remember a time when I could just stay up and play something like Final Fantasy X, or enjoy other stories and games at my own leisure without being obligated/thinking about something that I absolutely HAVE to do. Like in my High School days, you know?

[EDIT]

Awwww, dang, Mark. Oh wells.

Top Bottom