• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alberta Brawl Power Rankings!**ON HIATUS**

Status
Not open for further replies.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Exactly. I hate how extravagant the brawl pr is compared to the melee one.

Guys, let's actually care for once and make a pr for melee kk?

kithkin

Smash Champion
We're kinda waiting till we can agree on something.

Also Sid, I think you're definately still up there, but uhh- Yeah a lot of us can beat Stu now, so I think you're a little malinformed as to who you should be above or under.

I think you should be above Stu, though

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
If anything worse. And everyone else is getting better. Just means I have to rest out of shield more, it seems to work on albertans :p

Tyson651

Smash Lord
boo i feel very low

friendlies i did great, too bad for the tourney its self :/

edit: yes, we need another tourney!!

edit2: if it helps at all, of the people i've played were joel, levi, john, and brad (friendlies with them)

id rank

levi
joel (very arguable with brad)
brad
john

and im sure my own opinion about myself doesnt really mean anything but

IF U DONT CARE, DONT READ, thanks;

id put my self between levi and joel. levi and i had too close games, (if i remember properly) nearly equalling wins/loses.

had a game with joel, fox ditto (though my fox is my 3rd best char) but he does have a lot of bad habits and easy patterns to notice most of the time. i took that game.

brad and i only had 1 game, and it was against his ganon with my falco. im sure his sheik could do better in that match up, but it was an ok match but not much could say out of it even though i won it.

i think i beat john in a lot of games. though we were laughing a lot of the time haha. or at least i think we were. we were having more fun than seriousness though, thats for sure.

oh and some johns, my pool was gay :/

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I wouldn't worry about it, this thing changes every tournament (for some reason) so you will move up again I am sure.

kithkin

Smash Champion
The pools were surprisingly balanced, but I still had an easy pool, but still I think I got short sticked in brackets by god to make up for it.

Also thanks Tyson =3 I agree with you more or less, we really only did get one friendly =[

HEY GUYS ITS MY BIRTHDAY ON THE 27TH WANNA SMASH?

Edit: I wonder why it changes Luke.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
It shouldn't change every tournament, it can get pretty inaccurate like that.

Example: If you compare teamliquids power rankings to the Kespa rankings for SC pros, there is a huge difference, because teamliquid PR changes after every month. Kespa is by far way more accurate, and limits confusion on how good people actually are. Right now, this is a ranking to see how well people are placing at every tournament, not how good everyone is. I understand it's exciting after a tournament to make a new PR, but I think if did this bi-yearly, or even yearly (might be a little much) it would should show consistency and true skill.

Brad, don't say such dumb things without fully analyzing why I would say something. It makes sense. The more changes, the less accurate. So to simplify what I said; the PR should be an average of tourny results not just one tournament. Make sense? I think so.

kithkin

Smash Champion
I already knew Levi, no worries.

Luke, don't say such dumb things without fully analyzing why I would say something. Honestly you inconsiderate ****.

The PR can change after every tournament.

Know why?

Cause people actually seem to do this thing... what do I call it, Change in skill level?

Well ****, if Tyson goes to a tournament and is widely considered better than Mike P, Dan, Joel, Myself, Sid, and Stu

Yet before he was below all said people, But is clearly BY FAR above them now. That and if a player can't play consistantly at every tournament they really arn't as good as the players that can.

Shouldn't it change?

Yeah, it should.

****nuts.

Oh and P.S: I'd like to point out, Cast4 was probably the biggest tournament we've had since most people came around, and definately since the people around here got any real skill aside from the likes of Carl, that and the PR still hasn't changed yet, we're discussing it.

tl;dr Luke is a ****ing inconsiderate ******* who thinks he's always above someone else because he doesn't get why someone could ever post against him (possibly untrue, but seems mostly true), and is a huge idiot for not understanding how a PR should work.

kithkin

Smash Champion
It shouldn't change every tournament, it can get pretty inaccurate like that.

Blah blah blah blah

The more changes, the less accurate. So to simplify what I said; the PR should be an average of tourny results not just one tournament. Make sense? I think so.

Who said? I'd say the more we define who truly is placed where we get more real skill levels, after one tournament we make one, everyones set, thats cool, second tournament rolls around, everyone places differently. Well we can't say we should leave the PR, should we?

Well ok, wait untill the third tournament, but still, third tournament, the person on top could be near bottom, but that emans the PR was wrong all along.

blah blah blah blah

Wait do you SERIOUSLY think PR's are based off of just what recently happened? Even so, shouldnt they rank players according to how their rank NOW?

PR's are based off of consistant tournament results, not just the latest, but if your skill changed, so can your rank.

Oh and Luke, Back when we made the roiginal PR's (By randall and a board of others) and more copies, for like every PR, up to this thread by me. I had been put... >15? AKA worse than 15th spot? out of at that point 25?

Yet at every tournament I had gone to during randalls time, I had placed 7th (no jokes weird coincidence and brackets loved me lol) except for Cast1, where I SUCKKED, but I still placed just out of tenth, like 11th or something.

So do me a favour, and shut the **** up.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
That was very confusing to read. I think that all you did there was point out why a new PR after every tournament is better, not why making a new PR after several tournaments is bad. I could post the exact thing I did last night, and it would do the same thing as if I tried to argue this post.

What does being inconsiderate have to do with anything? And how am I inconsiderate? It would mean that I am not considering all your points and opinions, when I am. I know why a new PR after every tournament works, it shows a direct skill change.

I think there were two points argued by you, but they were pretty lame. "That and if a player can't play consistantly at every tournament they really arn't as good as the players that can." This was kind of my point in the first point, but I think this was you attempting to disagree with me. And.... "Yet at every tournament I had gone to during randalls time, I had placed 7th (no jokes weird coincidence and brackets loved me lol) except for Cast1, where I SUCKKED, but I still placed just out of tenth, like 11th or something." That actually has very little relevance to this discussion, unless you're saying we will forget about past tournament results and make poor decisions, which could happen, but if you write it down or try to remember I don't see how that could be a problem.

"Cause people actually seem to do this thing... what do I call it, Change in skill level?" They sure do. So what's your point? I thought everyone was aware of this.

Ok, so consistancy, my main point, should probably be explained. Lets say joe enters this small-ish tournament, he places 10th or something. After another small tournament he places 5th. Now, a tournament like CAST4 comes a long and he gets like 25th. The two small-ish tournaments had respected players in it, and obviously CAST4 had way more known players and was huge, but should the two smaller tournaments be ignored? His ranking would go from high to high to low at every PR change. Now it seems to me small-ish edmonton tournaments weren't actually ever considered in the making of this PR, so I already know your point so don't bother. I am saying that every tournament should be taken into consideration to reflect consistancy. Back to my example! So from high to high to low, when it could be wait wait make average it out, weighing the larger tournament heavier, and there we go, a very accurate ranking of Joe (whatever the ranking may be).

This post is pretty disjointed, sorry about that, but I tried my best to explain my thoughts :\.

Stevo

Smash Champion
I dont want to get in this but im gonna say that its hard to keep a PR perfectly accurate, but if it doesnt change often, then nobody will care about it.

I think that a PR should change after every tournament EVEN IF it changes to be LESS accurate.
This is because if it doesnt change, then people won`t feel like their efforts matter.

PR position is usually based on the top placers opinion on the others, and other people who make up the PR. Tournament results HAVE to be taken into consideration. Most recent results HAVE to be taken into consideration the most.

should person A go below person B if person A did not attend the most recent tourney.
I would say, perhaps.
should person A go below B if A placed lower then B ONLY in the most recent tourney. Perhaps.

My question is, do we see our PR as who would beat who, or do we see it as Tournament winnability.

and sorry this keyboard cant type question marks lol

Levi5

Smash Ace
Tourney winniability.

Might as well call it a "me vs my friends rankings" otherwise.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
it is really hard to say to either change it from direct results of every new tourney, or the average of the previous "x" amound tourney results.

cause there are a lot of things like bad brackets, bad days, etc. and one tourney could even make carl go down below 5th place if u base it on per tourney results.

the average results of each tourney obviously seems more accurate, however, it basically means how much previous tourney results will u reflect back to? thats the problem that everyone is probably thinking about in the sense that people improve HELLA LOT in 1 tourney difference, or some people gradually get better over 2 tourneys.

another problem is, we dont have enough tourneys, so its very random in the sense that, there is basically no average to take it from, and discrepencies of performance of each person is much higher.

thats why we usually rely on per tourney result and obvious results from friendlies and credibility (such as carl, obvious result is he's better than all of us in the pr, so he has that credit no matter what he places on the next tourney, on w/e johns he has). cause obviously u cant be like, oh shiz carl got sexually ***** by a bunch of goats and he got a flu and suicided 3 times in the pool and he winds up with the worst bracket ever.

now that i think of it, im basically explaining consistency and what i think about it.. lolol sounds like an useless post of my thoughts but i dont wanna delete it for nothing haha

Lawlb0t

Smash Lord
Where do most of you guys live in Alberta? Medicine hat/ Calgary area? I might be moving out west.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I dont want to get in this but im gonna say that its hard to keep a PR perfectly accurate, but if it doesnt change often, then nobody will care about it.

I think that a PR should change after every tournament EVEN IF it changes to be LESS accurate.
This is because if it doesnt change, then people won`t feel like their efforts matter.

PR position is usually based on the top placers opinion on the others, and other people who make up the PR. Tournament results HAVE to be taken into consideration. Most recent results HAVE to be taken into consideration the most.

should person A go below person B if person A did not attend the most recent tourney.
I would say, perhaps.
should person A go below B if A placed lower then B ONLY in the most recent tourney. Perhaps.

My question is, do we see our PR as who would beat who, or do we see it as Tournament winnability.

and sorry this keyboard cant type question marks lol
You have a very good point here. I have one problem though.
I think this is will differ between every person, and shouldn't be a factor. If people are serious about moving up in rankings, they will care about their efforts. I guess averaging it out could be complex. Like you'd have to have a formula for the whole thing, which would need to be very precise.

So if over 1 year there are 5 tournaments, the average should go like: tournament 1 is worth x tournament 2 is worth x+2 tourny 3 x+3 and so on. Except sometimes tournaments should be worth x times 2, and some worth the same. It would be impossible to determine. The more I think about it, the more complex it becomes. This is, of course, for a supremely accurate list, so I don't think formulas are necessary. I guess for the sake of convienience keep doing what we are doing, because averaging it out could get messy :\.

For the record, I still don't think having a new PR after every tournament is the best route, but it will do.

Levi5

Smash Ace
Where do most of you guys live in Alberta? Medicine hat/ Calgary area? I might be moving out west.
There aren't any good smashers in Medicine hat. (I would say)
Calgary has the most smashers (I would say)
Edmonton has the best smashers (I would say)
Red Deer is halfway between both cities, and has cheaper rent (I would say)

kithkin

Smash Champion
Well, Calgary is fun smash, Edmonton is realistic smash.

Red deer is cheaper rent lolol levi, and medicine hat is dead.

I dunno.

Oh and to Luke, lol you say your post was dismembered, what about mine? I replied to like 6 things is assorted order.

I'm not gonna argue because all I'll do is restate myself, What I will say Luke is not everything related back to your point, when I said you're inconsiderate, it merely mean't you're inconsiderate, doesn't mean you're even wrong (even though I do believe you are) it doesn't even relate to your point aside from the fact that you were inconsiderate in making it.

OK SO just let me say my all overstating self statement about this:

A PR is based on tournament results, yes. and of course it takes a tournament to influence a change in it yes. And it should be reconsidered after every tournament, whether changed are made or not.

BUT WHAT MATTERS IS, You want to know how a PR is really made and why theres a Panel? Because it's not actually Tournament results.

Tournament results only influence what the panel and general public thinks of players, if they do better, people will think they are better.

AKA if I ebat Carl in tournament, it makes people think "Wow he doesn't suck" and it's a pretty good way to get good recognition in not sucking-itude. Because Carl is on the top of the list right? Well what else can I say, if I beat him, it doesn't mean I'm better than him, but hey, I did beat him, I shouldn't be stuck with the bottom of the list, just because it's one tournament.

I repeat the PR is made by the decision of the people on how they think the players should be ranked. Not the tournament results.

What the tournament does is cause interest in reflecting back and changing the PR to better suit the current rankings, and create good reinforcement for people's arguements of who should be placed where (someone placing first at a tournament is pretty good reinforcement for moving them up, even if it is just once)

P.S: Luke, PR's are made for current rankings, thats why we log them, so people can know that oh hey, maybe Levi was #1 for the first two years, but if in the last month Carl has proven he's 100% better than him, he should be the new #1. No matter how much Levi was consistantly winning before that, he's not #1 anymore.

(of course this is all figurative, Carl #1 fo life')

Beeble

Smash Journeyman
Are we still doing a tier PR? I liked that. And then we could approach it like a tier list (go figure), in which case it will change when it needs to. That may mean every tourney, might not.

Who's on the official panel now anyways? Can't they decide? I mean, once again going back to tier lists, everyone has their own opinion, but there is a higher body of authority that puts out *the* list.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I still don't see how I was inconsiderate making my point. What you did was laugh at what I said, then I clarified what I meant, and in the process, disagreed with how this PR is made. Isn't it necessary to have different points of view on all matters? The more variety, the more progress can be made. If anything, you're being inconsiderate, for *****ing about my post.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Are we still doing a tier PR? I liked that. And then we could approach it like a tier list (go figure), in which case it will change when it needs to. That may mean every tourney, might not.

Who's on the official panel now anyways? Can't they decide? I mean, once again going back to tier lists, everyone has their own opinion, but there is a higher body of authority that puts out *the* list.
I'd like to have some input from the higher players, so i'll see if I can get any responses from Carl, Dan and Levi.

Guys, I think I should still be on it to be honest. It's okay if you think otherwise though.
I choke a lot, and I tend to not really care much when it comes to friendlies or when it's clear the other person is just jacking around. I can tell you Levi, I went as hard as I could against you, for the most part. As well, I went full out when I had my money matches (which, even though they were for a dollar, they were still MM dammit! >=D) I -generally- tried my best in those as well, which lead me to win against Joel, John, Stu, Alex and me 3-0ing Luke (lol). That's my uh, opinion on me I guess. So uh, take it as you will i guess. =P

Half my matches that weekend were against Daltsy, and he and I went pretty even at cast3.5 (where he won the set 2-1 with 1 stock differences.) and friendlies at cast4. If that means anything, i'm not sure.

</pseudo-begs>

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Thanks Stevo, I knew you'd have my back. Thug life.

Levi and I are discussing a new PR. We'll talk to it with some other people, and hopefully it will be up soon.

kithkin

Smash Champion
Victor, you're definately above most of the people that the crowd are throwing on the bottom of their lists (Jarett/KillLock for starters) no offense you guys, but I think Victor is better.

And uh Luke, I encourage your opinion, just not the way you express it =3 That and I generally don't agree with it, so I will argue it too =]

and Mike, thanks for bringing awesmo to this thread again, yeah thats more of an issue than the actual PR, you see, I don't update anymore because even if I wanted to, I don't really have an authoritative balance of opinions to make a list off of, there is no secure panel that will continue to judge the crowd.

Sometimes Levi's in, Carl's usually busy if he even does want in, and then the rest is harder to contact than Britains militant defense.

Point is, we just take some time to get working, but eventually we'll get a crowd together and discuss, and a new PR is coming, I plan to stick to the tier system, it keeps us unique and interesting, and I hope everyone agrees.

Also Victor, We'll talk to it with some other people. lol nice.

KillL0ck

Smash Ace
Victor, you're definately above most of the people that the crowd are throwing on the bottom of their lists (Jarett/KillLock for starters) no offense you guys, but I think Victor is better.

And uh Luke, I encourage your opinion, just not the way you express it =3 That and I generally don't agree with it, so I will argue it too =]

and Mike, thanks for bringing awesmo to this thread again, yeah thats more of an issue than the actual PR, you see, I don't update anymore because even if I wanted to, I don't really have an authoritative balance of opinions to make a list off of, there is no secure panel that will continue to judge the crowd.

Sometimes Levi's in, Carl's usually busy if he even does want in, and then the rest is harder to contact than Britains militant defense.

Point is, we just take some time to get working, but eventually we'll get a crowd together and discuss, and a new PR is coming, I plan to stick to the tier system, it keeps us unique and interesting, and I hope everyone agrees.

Also Victor, We'll talk to it with some other people. lol nice.
No offense but when I got in my groove I was 2-3 stocking Victurrrr right thuurrr.

We could of had more matches though, that I regret I still believe he's PR worthy(That's for sure), Victor is good ****.

And Kithkin, no offense but you probably should of faced me instead of frontin' on such a minuscule opinion. It really isn't hard to say "Oh I'm better than this guy by the looks of it" - That's just ********, if you haven't guessed already.

Besides, a year of retirement and a handful of days for training before the tournament got me pretty deceee, but I didn't feel 100%, my technical skill seems to be more down than ever. I've got the reading, the mindgames and all that jazz(From Brawl lol) I just need to get used to moving my fingers like a psycho.

Not saying that me and Solaris own anyone or anything, we're just obviously being underestimated. That's all I'm getting at. So GG's.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Victor please don't ignore that I am still 3-2 in MM's with you. And we both won a set during CAST4. Just because you 3-0'd me doesn't mean anything. More to come i g2g.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Me and Jack were pretty even in friendlies though, once he got his groove back. Otherwise, cast3.5 winners and losers was ****.
Victor please don't ignore that I am still 3-2 in MM's with you. And we both won a set during CAST4. Just because you 3-0'd me doesn't mean anything. More to come i g2g.
We had a MM when I was eating pizza and talking to Tyson and it was only 1 stock differences. Once I ate, we played again and I 3-0'd you, 2 of which were 2 stocks. Just sayin'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom