• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
so me and tblock had a IC vs jiggs game, i think i only wobbled him once or twice out of our set, he still won, next time ill wobble all your stocks

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
why don't you guys make rules for your own game, this is just like that time you guys pushed that stage striking **** onto melee.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
why don't you guys make rules for your own game, this is just like that time you guys pushed that stage striking **** onto melee.
Stage striking is dum

IC's have a million other infinite throw combos to abuse. If the only one you can do is wobbling then you're not a good IC player.

The idea is the other throw combos are DI able/mashable (even though it's super easy to turn it into an infinite like dthrow nana dair regrab) whereas wobbling offers no input from the player being wobbled(like all the garbage in brawl).

Even fox infinites on walls can be smash DI'ed if you're ADD so I'm cool with those too.
Don't they only have 2 cgs? Dthrow to Dair and the handoff?

ppig

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys who would be interested if me and zach held a tourney at are new place? We would have room for people to stay over as well if we wanted a 2 day thing. Would be happening some time next month if it were to happen just wanna see if the people are with us.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
WOAHHHHH CONNORRRRRRRRRRR OMGGG You and Zach are like, alive o.o

that would be like, so cool bro if you hosted that.
how did i type this instead of live o.o
and it's better than all of roy's moves

combined

T_T
roy has that up-b though LOL. No one DI's in Alberta anyways, especially Maiko. Roy is a strong counter.
lol the brawl players want melee to have grab infinites
lolol yeah this.

guys who cares, who the hell plays ICs here in anyways, much less have the patience too XD

ppig

Smash Journeyman
lol i remember yea :p falco player yea yea but will prob start a thread for are tourney soon then have to get moved in first should be up bye end of week will keep yall informed

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Somehow Mike and Luke both think I'm against wobbling because it's boring. Sounds like that's an argument you guys are familiar with in brawl discussions :3

lol.

Well, the fact that IC's have troubles grabbing anyways, forcing them to learn hand offs and smash regrabs asks a lot imo. Nerfing a character just because you find it boring is as weak as it gets. Then going as far as to say "if IC's can only do wobbling with a grab, then they're not a good IC's" is even weaker. IC's game does not completely revolve around their CG's.
IC's without wobbling aren't nerfed. Melee Falcon -> Brawl Falcon = "nerfed". I already gave an alternate example of another IC's infinite you could use to the same effect. Learn to read.

It offers no input but it's programmed into the game. You get grabbed, you die. That's the character - no reason to change it just because it's boring.
It's not about boring it's about gamebreaking, and "get grabbed you die" is arguably gamebreaking.

How do you enforce wobbling? What if I d-tilted twice? Three times? What if I d-tilt d-tilt d-throw>d-air d-tilt d-tilt? Is that banned?
Planking is programmed, yet there is a ledge grab rule in Brawl. You guys have quantified that with no trouble but now all of a sudden "it's different". Hypocrisy.

I'm just glad wobbling is the only thing like this I need to argue about. Brawl players and other fighting game players have 10+ other garbage techniques per character to argue about.

Sorry for busting out the Brawl card.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
The best part about Melee (and most parts of all smash bros games) is that even when you're getting ***** you have options. There are no set combos, you can DI every hit, you can tech, you can recover differently, you can use the map to cut people off, etc. Allowing something into the game which is a set combo with no options (a 0-death one at that) is against every other fun part of the game.

It will turn Melee into one of those traditional fighting games where you infinite each other every match.

In my opinion, the people who want this kind of game shouldn't play Melee, they should play another fighting game.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
It offers no input but it's programmed into the game. You get grabbed, you die. That's the character - no reason to change it just because it's boring.

How do you enforce wobbling? What if I d-tilted twice? Three times? What if I d-tilt d-tilt d-throw>d-air d-tilt d-tilt? Is that banned?
in brawl, is it marth that can grab release infinite? isnt that banned?

isnt ddd's dthrow infinite against a wall banned?

isnt planking over X amount banned?

do u support those issues being banned, or are u saying u want those to be legal?

ppig

Smash Journeyman
lol its richard moore the sleeping sleuth and on carls note we will prob have a marvel vs capcom tourney lol 0 to death combo fun :p

T-block

B2B TST
victra you are making yourself sound really stupid right now.

The LGL is debatable... I'm not even sure I support it, and much of the BBR does not either. Infinite chain grabs, infinites in general have never had much significant support for being banned. Infinites used for the purpose of stalling should be banned, hence the 300% rule.

It certainly is a nerf - you can't claim that it's not a nerf, and then in the same breath claim Ice Climbers have other things that achieve the same effect. If it truly does achieve the same effect, then why ban wobbling? Just because it's easier? Just because it's boring? If it doesn't achieve the same effect (which apparently it doesn't, according to what you said about DI and mashing), then you are taking something away from the character.

All in all, I'm not looking down on you or anything for banning wobbling in your tournaments. Play the game how you want... I'm sure it does make it more fun overall.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
in brawl, is it marth that can grab release infinite? isnt that banned?

No

isnt ddd's dthrow infinite against a wall banned?

No

isnt planking over X amount banned?

No

do u support those issues being banned, or are u saying u want those to be legal?
Tournaments ban these things because the tournament hosts feel they are broken. Officially, they are not banned.

Carl, you said arguably game breaking... If it's arguably game breaking, then it shouldn't be banned. If it was FOR SURE game breaking, then it should be banned.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I just thought of something:

When Wobbling, why kill the opponent instead of running the timer with it?

T-block

B2B TST
Carl and Tyson styling
LMFAOOOO. I forgot they were brawl back roomers

oh god thats hilarious
Tyson "styling" because he made an obvious comparison to false information?

Grab = stock... might be stupid. It probably is. But hey, that's the way the game was made. Ban it if you want (I'm still wondering about how exactly you enforce it) if you think it will make a better game, but don't go around saying things like "It will turn Melee into one of those traditional fighting games where you infinite each other every match." Wobbling exists in Melee's natural state. It already is one of those games.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
itt: brawl players start talking about melee

edit: LOL ok maiko =.= way to like call me out out of everyone else on the account of some light trolling >___>

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
LEVI. You seriously need to hit up with this new guy Clarke.

He'll probably be your favorite new smasher in a long time.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Carl, you said arguably game breaking... If it's arguably game breaking, then it shouldn't be banned. If it was FOR SURE game breaking, then it should be banned.
hurr durrrr every rule is arguable

Grab = stock... might be stupid. It probably is. But hey, that's the way the game was made. Ban it if you want (I'm still wondering about how exactly you enforce it) if you think it will make a better game, but don't go around saying things like "It will turn Melee into one of those traditional fighting games where you infinite each other every match." Wobbling exists in Melee's natural state. It already is one of those games.
Items, bad maps, time mode, free for all all, sheik, etc. all exist in melee's "natural state" but we choose to play without them. This is no different.

Ice climbers freeze glitch is banned, are you opposed to that decision too? I'd like to see a final match where 2 minutes in IC's are up a stock and freeze the other player, then taunt for 6 minutes.

COOOOOOL THAT MATCH WAS A TEST OF SKILLLLL

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
omg hahahahaha Carl thats the best post I've seen in a long time. Like hahahahah XD

Even if you disagree with what Carl said, if you read that without laughing then you're just way too serious. XDDD

edit: hahahah oh god best post

T-block

B2B TST
All of those are settings offered to us by the developers. They gave us the option to play stock matches without items. We are only choosing the setting that is most competitive. Is there some sort of switch that allows you to turn off wobbling?

Copy paste from my previous post: It certainly is a nerf - you can't claim that it's not a nerf, and then in the same breath claim Ice Climbers have other things that achieve the same effect. If it truly does achieve the same effect, then why ban wobbling? Just because it's easier? Just because it's boring? If it doesn't achieve the same effect (which apparently it doesn't, according to what you said about DI and mashing), then you are taking something away from the character.

Why are we taking something away from this character? What if they land a grab on Pokefloats, and by the time you finish the chain grab, they'd be able to tech one of the floats after the smash? They're not allowed to wobble until the float goes away? What if for some reason I really really hated the Water transformation on PS1. I'm not allowed to wobble until it returns to neutral? What if I finish my chain grab combo on Kongo 64, but the barrel would save him if I f-smashed him off the edge? I'm not allowed to wobble until the barrel would be on the other side when he recovers? I guess this is all coming back to enforceability.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
again, i'm sorry for all this Clarke XD

Maiko I want you to stop, i'm serious. You harp on all us melee players when we tell you how to play your game (more specific, all those legal stages you have etc.)

So I'm gonna flip the tables and say the same for you. Brawl and Melee are different games. Let us play it the way we want. k? k.

I know you'll probably find a way to defend yourself about this but I will seriously start infracting anyone who wants to continue arguing.

T-block

B2B TST
i'll stop. i didn't think it was bothering anyone. we're still friends, carl, right? <3

i'm not telling you how to play your game... i said already i have no problems if alberta wants to ban wobbling at their tournaments. i was arguing out of basic smash principles, and tried to stay away from anything melee-specific. i would be the first to admit i'm wrong if some piece of melee knowledge came up that i was unaware of that changed the argument.

anyways, i'd LOVE for you to start infracting over arguments like brawl vs. melee.

so... back to regular alberta thread stuff i guess

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Yes we are still friends

Taking something gamebreaking away from a character may be "nerfing" the character but it's completely justified.

If fox's neutral B was a move called "stock kill" and his opponent instantly lost a stock, taking that away from him would make the game better. Hell, if every character had that move all you have to do is institute a rule "don't press B" and BAM you have a non **** game.

tl;dr Wobbling is gamebreaking.

I'm trying to keep this as vague as possible by saying "don't do it" because the people who actively seek for gamebreaking tactics are usually asshoe's who flip tables when they lose. BUT, since you're absolutely BEGGING me to come up with some kind of enforceable rule I'll say no more than 5 forward tilts/down tilts in a row during one popo grab.

Now the table flippers get to argue for years about whether or not that's appropriate, when they could just as easily spend their time trying to do other IC tactics (like the ones with similar effect I listed earlier) which don't break the game.

tl;dr there are a million other ******** things IC's can do which can still infinite but allow some input from the other character. Do those ******** things instead of the ones where the opponent can't respond.

You didn't address the freeze glitch. Ostensibly wobbling can immobilize the opponent indefinitely. Is that still the "most competitive" way we can play this game?

Top Bottom