• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

AlbertaSmash

David is way too cool to be seen with you in public

• yes

Votes: 53 64.6%
  • Its true. I am way too cool to be seen with you in public.

Votes: 29 35.4%

• Total voters

Stevo

Smash Champion
its like brawl+ but less fail

essentially they are trying to directly replicate Melee and add in more characters and stages and such.

at first I thought it would just be another brawl+ flop, and people can never agree on what is really balanced and such.

but many melee pros have played it, and it does look like fun

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Project melee will be legit because it's not just trying to replicate it, it is actually replicating it perfectly. If someone gets it on their wii I will for sure play it, and will probably main lucario.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
project melee is unbelievable. they ripped melee's physics and directly translated them into a language that brawl understands.

it is literally brawl made into melee. The physics are exact. EXACT.

out of all of us, the person who has the best chance of getting it is likely maiko or maybe stephen

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i dunno it would seem like you would.

i can edit the poll now LOL. So i dunno if you guys want something in the poll let me know

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Project M seems meh. Since the creators can change the game at will it kind of takes away the set standards that make games great. i.e: The tier list would change super frequently for balance issues.

Don't get me wrong. It looks like a great game to play casually. But tourney wise, I don't know yet.

I'll just wait till it's done before I convince myself of anything. (speaking of which, when is it done?)

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
the creators completely changed brawl into melee. literally. i can't stress this enough.

it is seriously EXACT, but with more characters, stages and better visuals and music. EXACT. EXAAACT.

Once its out of testing and becomes available to the public it might not replace melee entirely, but with more and more hacked wiis out there it might become a norm. Sakurai needs to take notes.

like look at this ****. the physics is identical down to the coding.
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1NnhMTuSVTA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1NnhMTuSVTA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

also theres a lot of vids of pros like shiz, kage, hbox etc playing project m. its sex

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Yah, I'm not sure how the new characters will fit in though.

Also I saw the smash 64 taunt cancelling in the physics demonstation vid. I pooped

I also found the surprise I forgot to give you guys at the last couple o' tourneys in my backpack.

sleak-

Smash Journeyman
ok imma go ahead and be the dude who says it, brawls like crap ok ? project M is like perfume , tryying to cover up the smell of the crap , in the end , its still crap.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i can understand why people don't like brawl because of its physics and gameplay

but when you replace it completely with melee's physics and gameplay theres no reason to still hate it.

i mean really :/

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i wonder if metaknight became less broken, or more broken from melee physics/gameplay.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
if brawl smells like poopoo, project melee is like brawl taking a shower with old spice

FalseFalco

Smash Master
nobody here has played it so as far as im concerned this is the same situation as before brawl came out when everyone was stoked.

ruhtraeel

Smash Ace
My birthday today!

And I agree with Victor. Looking forward to P:M.

Also looking forward to finally getting my external gfx card working for my laptop, so I can play Crysis etc max settings.

Dr. Ike

Smash Cadet
What is dumb about Project M is if they're trying to create Melee exactly but with brawl characters, why don't they just get a programmer and an artist and someone who understands fighter balance and just mod a melee game to add characters because then they can HAVE melee with new and more characters and not be limited to brawl, believe it or not it'd be less work too.

Whereas the way they're doing it, I hate to say it it ISN'T melee, it can try to be, but even the character sizes are different and I'm sorry did you watch that video? That ain't melee. It's closer, I mean I'm sure it's playable because it's the same idea for an engine and it has awesome benefits, but I still don't see how it's better when they might as well make their own game from scratch given all they'd need is an artist.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
What is dumb about Project M is if they're trying to create Melee exactly but with brawl characters, why don't they just get a programmer and an artist and someone who understands fighter balance and just mod a melee game to add characters because then they can HAVE melee with new and more characters and not be limited to brawl, believe it or not it'd be less work too.
Considering we have a team of some of the most capable smash moders ever assembled, if we could do something like that we already would have.

I don't really know where you pulled that assessment about it being 'easier to add characters to Melee' from, and if you really believe that I'd like to see you try, no offense.

The aim of the project is to replicate the overall engine as closely as possible, but add more character buffs and depth roughly the further you go down the Melee tier list. That is, top / high would play pretty similar, but the lower cast will attain new levels of viability.

And we have fundamentally altered the way this engine works many times over. If anything, I would say that the game looks (smells?) like crap on the exterior (the camera, some player models, etc), but the function of the game has been steadily improving towards our goal.

If anyone isn't completely happy with the current progress of our alpha, instead of complaining about it I encourage you to apply to join the PMBR and help make sure it gets done to your satisfaction.

Cheers.

Edit: Also, ESAM is running a free tourney of the PM Alpha later today (Saturday).

FalseFalco

Smash Master
SHeLL said:
That is, top / high would play pretty similar, but the lower cast will attain new levels of viability.
Bad idea in my opinion. Fighting games are not meant to be balanced (servbot and pichu are playable characters).

Most people can agree about a lot of little things that should change about the current version of melee (most of mewtwo's moves, some glitches, etc.) but the more you change the more people will want to change ("If it ain't broke don't fix it"). Nintendo had the luxury of not being able to change the game after its release whereas the project M team will be harassed and on the butt end of a lot of criticism.

I legitimately hope you can come to a final release that everyone on the team is satisfied with.

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
We are very familiar with the slippery slope of change.

We hope to come very close to a final, set release when we go public, then make very small changes if absolutely necessary -- think NSTC Melee -> PAL Melee level of changes, except we'll actually be watching the metagame closely instead of nerfing Ganon because he's too good in FFAs, etc.

I should note that that process hasn't been well discussed and we're nowhere close to balancing yet. I think the ability to patch the game is a blessing and a curse, as many have said, but I think it would be unwise to completely forgo the potential balance blessings out of fear of criticism. We've taken a good deal of criticism and harassment, and we've sorted through all of the constructive bits and dealt with the troll bits. We're used to it... 'haters gonna hate,' after all.

It seems like Capcom has done an okay job at fixing bugs and things that don't work like they should in SF4, while knowing their limits of what they should let be. This is, in my mind, worth emulating to some degree.

Imagination

Smash Apprentice
project M doesn't have exact melee physics victor.
Shell you guys aren't planning on patching it frequently are you?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Shell you guys aren't planning on patching it frequently are you?
No they won't. It was what destroyed B+ so they won't release a beta until its as close to perfect as possible. PM's goal is to not patch frequently if at all possible so you won't have to worry

Revven

FrankerZ
Uh... yes it does, we ripped the Melee character files and took their exact physics and ported them over (copied and pasted) and they feel exactly the same except it may feel still slightly off to some because of landing detection. But aside from that, it's the cold, hard, exact values Melee had.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
People like to whine, but I have to say, I'm a bit skeptical about the project as well. Hopefully it'll turn out awesome.

Actually I have no idea and just wanted post 28000.

Top Bottom